|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
These are marker pages referencing Dane County one-room schoolhouses. Use the “First >>” button above to see these markers in sequence.|
|Wisconsin (Dane County), Mazomanie — 5 — Old Halfway Prairie|
|This building is Dane County's oldest existing country schoolhouse. Repeated remodelings conceal an original framework of logs.
The land was donated for school purposes in 1844 by Mary Fowler, a widow and member of the British Temperance Immigration Society.
The name Halfway Prairie was coined by early lead miners who often camped here when traveling from Mineral Point to Portage. The word Old was added in 1915 to distinguish from a later school.
Early school terms were adjusted . . . — Map (db m41392) HM|
|Wisconsin (Dane County), Madison — 44 — Hiestand School — 1915|
|Since about 1855 this site has been the location of the Blooming Grove township school. Named for pioneer tobacco grower, Jacob Hiestand, whose farmstead lay across the road, the original frame building was razed in 1915 to make way for this fully modern stucco-covered building. This one-room school is noteworthy as a progressively designed facility, as a community center, and as a reminder of the rural heritage of the township. — Map (db m42206) HM|
|Wisconsin (Dane County), Cross Plains — Kerl School — (Dist. No. 6)|
|Land for the Kerl School was donated by Otto Kerl, farmer and homeopathic practitioner. The school was built of native limestone by John Miller for $325 and opened in 1874. Early teachers earned $25 to $30 per month. From 1887 to 1907, there were two terms, the first lasting two months starting in April and a second term lasting five months starting in November. After 1907, a single term lasted eight to nine months. The school closed in 1954. — Map (db m41963) HM|
|Wisconsin (Dane County), Roxbury — 13 — Father Adalbert Inama -- St. Norbert House|
|Father Adalbert Inama a Norbertine Missionary was born in Wilton Tyrol Austria on December 26, 1798. He came to the Roxbury - Sac Prairie area in November 1845. Early the next year he built an 18 x 20 foot log cabin one mile west of here on the banks of Madison Creek which flows through land given to him by Count Haraszthy. Named St. Norbert House Inama's log cabin became the area's first Catholic Church, and Inama himself was the first resident Catholic Priest in Dane and surrounding . . . — Map (db m32352) HM|
2006–2013, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us