HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Related Markers
Battle of Trevilian Station Virtual Tour by Markers. Use the “First >>” button above to see these markers in sequence.
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Louisa Court HouseRaiders Intercepted
The Battle of Trevilian Station You are standing in the historic town of Louisa Court House (now Louisa). During the Civil War, the Virginia Central Railroad passed through this county seat. The main street became the Gordonsville Road (Rte. 22/33) at the western end of town. The Marquis Road (Rte. 669), named for the Marquis de Lafayette, crossed the railroad several blocks northwest of here. On June 7, 1864, Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan headed west from Cold Harbor with two of the Army . . . — Map (db m4830) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — First Contact“a considerable fight” — The Battle of Trevilian Station
Having reached Louisa Court House on June 10, 1864, Gen. Wade Hampton’s cavalry divisions bivouacked around the Virginia Central Railroad and across Union Gen. Philip H. Sheridan’s route to Gordonsville. About 3 a.m. on June 11, Gen. William C. Wickham’s Virginia cavalry brigade left camp and rode up the Marquis Road (Rte. 669). The troopers captured a scouting party of the 7th Michigan Cavalry about a mile north of town and then continued north toward Clayton’s Store. At daybreak they . . . — Map (db m4844) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Clayton's StoreSheridan's Camp
The Battle of Trevlian Station After riding across Virginia for three days on a raid to destroy parts of the Virginia Central Railroad, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's 9,300 cavalrymen and horse artillerists crossed the North Anna River at Carpenter's Ford about two miles north and camped here the night of June 10, 1864. The house at the intersection just north marks the approximate location of Clayton's Store, Sheridan's headquarters. Although Sheridan knew Confederate forces were in the area, . . . — Map (db m4843) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Bibb's CrossroadsFirst Shots
The Battle of Trevilian Station A 9,300-man Union cavalry force under Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, on a raid to destroy parts of the Virginia Central Railroad, camped a few miles east on June 10, 1864. The next morning, Gen. Wesley Merritt's brigade, followed by Col. Thomas C. Devin's brigade, moved out of their camps near the Buck Chiles and Woolfolk farms about 5 a.m. With Gen. Alfred T.A. Torbert in personal command, the troopers marched southwest along the Fredericksburg Stage Road toward . . . — Map (db m4841) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Netherland TavernHampton's Headquarters
The Battle of Trevilian Station Fifty yards east is the site of Netherland Tavern (ca. 1822), which was demolished in the 1950s. The tavern served travelers on the Fredericksburg Stage Road and the Louisa Court House Road to the south. It also served rail passengers after the Virginia Central Railroad started operating in the 1850s. During the Civil War, Netherland Tavern became a center of military activity as the conflict entered its final year. In June 1864, Union Gen. Ulysses S. Grant . . . — Map (db m4840) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Custer's First Last StandA "Living Triangle" — The Battle of Trevilian Station
Nearby stood Trevilian Station, south of which Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton had parked his wagon train on the evening of June 10, 1864. At daylight the next day, Gen. Matthew C. Butler and Col. Gilbert J. Wright advanced north on the Fredericksburg Stage Road to probe for Federals. About 8 a.m., Union Gen. George A. Custer's Michigan Brigade turned west onto the Gordonsville Road from the Nunn's Creek Road at Mildred Crossing, with Col. Russell A. Alger's 5th Michigan Cavalry leading the way. . . . — Map (db m4839) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Custer RescuedAn All-out Assault
The Battle of Trevilian Station By mid-morning on June 11, 1864, Gen. George A. Custer's attack on Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's wagon train here had gone from success to near disaster as Southern cavalry surrounded Custer's force. A staff officer of Gen. Alfred T.A. Torbert, Gen. Philip H. Sheridan's 1st Cavalry Division commander, finally discovered Custer's predicament and reported it to Torbert. About 2 p.m., Torbert launched an all-out assault along the railroad with three brigades . . . — Map (db m4837) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W 210 — Trevilian Station Battle
In June 1864, Maj. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan led a Union cavalry raid against the Virginia Central Railroad here, which Maj. Gen. Wade Hampton and Maj. Gen. Fitzhugh Lee defended during a two-day battle. On 11 June, the first day, Union Brig. Gen. George A. Custer's brigade got between Lee's division and the rest of Hampton's cavalry and captured Hampton's supply wagons. The Confederates counterattacked and virtually surrounded Custer, who led his troopers in a breakout charge just as Federal . . . — Map (db m4775) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Battle of Trevillians
— Fought here June 11, 12, 1864 — Confederate Gens. Wade Hampton, Fitzhugh Lee and Thomas L. Rosser, victors over Federal Gens. P.H. Sheridan and G.A. Custer 5000 Confederates, 8000 Federal Casualties Confederate 612 Federal 1,007 Greatest all-cavalry battle of the war Signal Confederate victory — Map (db m14300) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W 209 — Battle of Trevilians
Here, on June 12, 1864, Sheridan's cavalry, coming from Trevilians, attacked Wade Hampton, who had taken position across the road. A bloody engagement followed. Fitz Lee joined Hampton, and the Union cavalry was driven back. That night Sheridan retired eastward. — Map (db m4835) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — W 208 — Green Springs
Near here Wade Hampton's Confederate cavalry camped the night of June 10, 1864, just before the battle of Trevilians. — Map (db m4834) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Oakland CemeteryConfederates at Rest
Battle of Trevilian Station Here in Oakland Cemetery, beneath small, rectangular stone markers, rest as many as 60 Confederate dead from the Battle of Trevilian Station. Most of them were never identified. Immediately inside the gate are the graves of the three Towles brothers, all of whom served in Company A, 4th Virginia Cavalry, and died of battle wounds. Sgt. Robert C. Towles was mortally wounded on the morning of June 11, 1864, the first day of the Battle of Trevilian Station, and . . . — Map (db m4845) HM
Virginia (Louisa County), Louisa — Decisive Confederate VictoryThe Largest All-Cavalry Battle of the Western Hemisphere
The Battle of Trevilian Station Confederate Gen. Wade Hampton's victory over Gen. Philip H. Sheridan at Trevilian Station on June 11-12, 1864, prevented Sheridan from joining Gen. David Hunter and destroying the Virginia Central Railroad at Charlottesville. Gen. Jubal A. Early's Second Corps of the Army of Northern Virginia then used the railroad to reach Lynchburg in time to repulse Hunter on July 17-18 [See more about this marker below]. Trevilian Station was the largest . . . — Map (db m4847) HM
13 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 94 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.