Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission Historical Markers

 
Beacon Field Airport Marker image, Click for more information
By Friends of Beacon Field Airport, February 4, 2012
Beacon Field Airport Marker
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Beacon Field Airport
In 1929, Airway Beacon No. 55, a pilot’s navigation aid, was installed on this site owned by W.F.P. Reid. Beacon Field is named for the beacon tower. Under the Civilian Pilot Training Program established in 1938, Ashburn Flying Service trained . . . — Map (db m69516) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Bethlehem Baptist Church
According to tradition, the earliest congregation, which would become the Bethlehem Baptist Church, was organized circa 1863 by Samuel K. Taylor, a former slave, who preached in the homes of the African-American residents of Gum Springs. Shortly . . . — Map (db m100708) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Hybla Valley Airport
Virginia's first airport permit was granted to Elvin W. Robertson's Hybla Valley Airport in February 1929. As President of Mount Vernon Airways, he utilized the airfield as a site for barnstorming and air circuses. Robertson, Fairfax Supervisor . . . — Map (db m53880) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Original Mount Vernon High School
The original Mount Vernon High School was located here on 8.8 acres that were once part of George Washington's Mount Vernon estate. Fairfax County purchased the land for $400 per acre in November 1938. Construction funding was provided by Fairfax . . . — Map (db m100772) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Alexandria — Saint Mark's Episcopal Church
Saint Mark's Episcopal Church is one of several congregations that evolved from the efforts of nineteenth century students from the Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria. The first congregation met at the original Groveton Schoolhouse on . . . — Map (db m42387) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Action At Annandale
The roadbed for the unfinished Manassas Gap Railroad was located in this immediate area and crossed Indian Run creek in Poe Terrace Park. The stone bridge abutments are still visible. Financial problems caused work to stop on the railroad in 1857, . . . — Map (db m33512) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Gooding's Tavern
The Gooding Tavern served Little River Turnpike travelers and stagecoach passengers from 1807-1879 and was famous for “the best fried chicken” and “peaches and honey.” For the community, the tavern served as a social and . . . — Map (db m44097) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Ilda
Ilda, a community located at the intersection of Guinea Road and Little River Turnpike, came into existence after the Civil War and lasted into the first half of the twentieth century. It originated when two freedmen, Horace Gibson and Moses . . . — Map (db m37906) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Mosby Attacks Annandale
Shortly before 5 A.M. on Wednesday, 24 August 1864, Lt. Col. John Singleton Mosby with about 300 Confederate Rangers and two field artillery pieces opened fire from the west side of the Accotink Creek valley on a Union stockade located in Annandale. . . . — Map (db m35281) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — Price’s Ordinary
At the intersection of Backlick and Braddock Roads stood Price's Ordinary, established by David Price about 1773 and remaining in operation until 1802. Price's offered refreshment and shelter for travelers and a common meeting place for local . . . — Map (db m20895) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — The Guinea Road Cemetery Reinterment
Virginia aristocrat William Fitzhugh was granted 21,996 acres in 1694: The Ravensworth tract, which was divided into northern and southern halves in 1701 and subsequently subdivided among Fitzhugh heirs throughout the 18th and 19th centuries. The . . . — Map (db m617) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Annandale — The Pines
At the turn of the 20th century, a close-knit African American community was established here. The Johnson, Robinson, Sprigg and Collins families were the first to purchase lots. They cleared pine trees to enable truck farming and saw mill . . . — Map (db m100807) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Bog Wallow Ambush
On 4 December 1861, fifty-five men of the 3rd New Jersey Infantry, Col. George W. Taylor commanding, set an ambush nearby in retaliation for attacks on Union pickets. They stretched two telegraph wires across Braddock Road at the eastern end of a . . . — Map (db m72404) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — Copperthite Racetrack
In 1897 Henry Copperthite, a Georgetown businessman, purchased Silas Burke’s farm. In 1907 he constructed, according to a newspaper account, the “very best” harness racing facility “of its kind in the country.” The . . . — Map (db m93999) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Burke — The Huldah Coffer House
Built ca. 1876 for Huldah Coffer, this house was constructed on farmland that had been in the locally prominent Coffer family since the 18th century. Widowed at age 22, Coffer became a farmer, growing wheat, oats, and Indian corn and raising a . . . — Map (db m86180) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Centreville — Manassas Gap Railroad Independent Line
The roadbed of the Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through this area. Conceived to extend the Manassas Gap Railroad from Gainesville to Alexandria, grading on this part of the line began in September 1854. The nearby stone bridge . . . — Map (db m655) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Chantilly
The community of Chantilly, Virginia was named after the Chantilly mansion built by Charles and Cornelia Calvert Stuart on this site about 1817. The name “Chantilly” originated in France with the Château de Chantilly, just north of . . . — Map (db m53620) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Clover Hill
Clover Hill, the residence of Alexander Turley, was built near here ca. 1823 on a high point of Turley's 450-acre farm. The two-story brick house featured Alexander Turley's initials incorporated into the chimney using glazed bricks. Slave cabins . . . — Map (db m95088) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Mitchell-Weeks House
This building is a reproduction of a typical "Potomac Valley Farmhouse" built at this location circa 1789 by Benjamin Mitchell. It was one and a half story log house, with a sloping front roof extending over a porch, which in time became a community . . . — Map (db m109) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — Salisbury Plain
This land was the eastern most boundary of a 3,111 acre grant, known as Salisbury Plain, acquired by Henry Lee from Thomas 6th Lord Fairfax in 1725 when it was part of the Stafford County frontier. This area became Prince William County in 1730, . . . — Map (db m4533) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Chantilly — The Cross Farmhouse
The Alfred Judson Cross Farmhouse was built in 1905, replacing an earlier structure built by Cross's father and lost to fire earlier that year. The house was rebuilt on the same foundation using timber cut on the farm and sawn at a local mill. The . . . — Map (db m8346) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Clifton — Ivakota Farm
On this land stood Ivakota Farm, founded as a Progressive Era reform school and home for unwed mothers and their children. In 1915 Ella Shaw donated her 264-acre farm to the National Florence Crittenton Mission (NFCM). Named for the states where she . . . — Map (db m7401) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Crowells Corner — Cartersville Baptist Church
According to tradition, free African-Americans established a religious congregation, which met in private homes, in this area as early as 1863. Rose Carter, a member of the community, donated land for a church in 1903. The church served the . . . — Map (db m2163) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — David R. Pinn Community Center
After the Civil War, a small community of African Americans lived on Route 654, now known as Zion Drive. The Wrights, Hamiltons, Whites, and Pinns were farmers and laborers. In 1904, David R. & Sarah F. Pinn donated an acre of land to build Little . . . — Map (db m57234) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax — Manassas Gap Railroad Independent Line
The Independent Line of the Manassas Gap Railroad ran through this area. Conceived to extend the Manassas Gap Railroad to Alexandria, grading on this part of the line began in September 1854. Financial problems stopped the work in May 1857. In . . . — Map (db m528) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Fairfax Station — Fairfax Station
Fairfax Station, established on the Orange and Alexandria Railroad in 1851, was originally known as Lee's Station until 1852. It served the town of Providence, location of the Fairfax County Court House. A small community, mostly Irish, grew near . . . — Map (db m59040) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Falls Church — Bailey’s Crossroads
In 1837 Hachaliah Bailey (1774-1845) from Westchester County, New York, purchased 526 acres in the northeast quadrant formed by the intersection of Leesburg and Columbia Pikes. Here he built his home, known as "Moray," which was destroyed by fire in . . . — Map (db m632) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Carrolltown
In this vicinity a small African-American settlement grew from ten acres of land given to Jane Carroll by her owner, Dennis Johnston, before 1856. Jane's son, George, acquired an additional 121 acres from Johnston's heirs in 1899 and 1903. In 1904 . . . — Map (db m163) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Franconia
“Frankhonia Farm” was situated on 191 acres purchased in 1859 by Alexandria merchant and businessman William Fowle from Joseph Broders of Oak Grove Farm. His son, Robert Rollins Fowle, sold 18 acres to the Alexandria & Fredericksburg . . . — Map (db m158) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Laurel Grove Colored School and Church
In the early 1880s, former slaves organized a congregation and held church services near a grove of laurel on Beulah Road. The trustees, including Middleton Braxton, George Carroll, Thornton Gray, and William Jasper, were focused on educating the . . . — Map (db m86181) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Franconia — Rose Hill
The community of Rose Hill was created in 1954. The land was part of an 18th century plantation known as Rose Hill, established by Daniel French, the builder of Pohick Church. The house was the site of a raid by Confederate Maj. John S. Mosby on 28 . . . — Map (db m160) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Herndon — Civil War at Frying Pan Spring Meeting House
The Frying Pan Spring Meeting House witnessed much Civil war activity. Union and Confederate military records mention the location numerous times as a meeting place and a site of skirmishes. In 1861 and 1862, encampments of Confederate troops . . . — Map (db m64519) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Lorton — Deputy Sheriff George A. Malcolm
In this vicinity, on Thursday, 6 April 1905, Deputy Sheriff George A. Malcolm was shot while attempting to arrest a man who had been harassing students at the Lorton Valley School. He died the following day at the Emergency Hospital in Washington, . . . — Map (db m100654) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Lorton — Mount Air
The original 522~acre plantation was granted to Dennis McCarty in 1727 and passed through the hands of only three additional families: the Chichesters, Landstreets and Kernans. Mount Air represents in microcosm a history of Fairfax county~~the rise . . . — Map (db m13749) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Lorton — Shiloh Baptist Church
According to tradition, African Americans from the Mason Neck area and others who had recently moved to Virginia from Maryland formed a religious congregation in 1869. They built a log church on the north side of Gunston Road in 1878 where their . . . — Map (db m58318) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Benvenue
“Benvenue” was part of the 3402 acre “Woodberry” estate granted by Lord Fairfax in 1724 to George Turberville. Charles Lee Corbin Turberville was deeded 400 acres in 1796, which included 198 acres that became known as . . . — Map (db m178) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Chesterbrook
Lincolnville, a farming community that developed along Kirby Road after the Civil War, was renamed Chesterbrook ca. 1897. The "First Colored Baptist Church of Fairfax County" was founded ca. 1866 by Reverend Cyrus Carter. The one-room Chesterbrook . . . — Map (db m100884) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — McLean
McLean originated in this vicinity after the electrified Great Falls and Old Dominion Railroad began operating in 1906. Its tracks crossed Chain Bridge Road between the villages of Lewinsville and Langley, near the Ingleside community. By 1910 the . . . — Map (db m181) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Odrick’s Corner
In 1872 Alfred Odrick, a former slave and carpenter, purchased 30 acres and built a house on the south side of Lewinsville Road, later intersected by Spring Hill Road to form Odrick's Corner. By 1879 a one-room schoolhouse, Odrick's School, had been . . . — Map (db m5610) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — Salona
Salona was built on part of the 1719 Thomas Lee 2,862 acre grant known as Langley. During the War of 1812, the estate's owner, the Rev. William Maffitt, reputedly gave refuge to President James Madison as the British burned Washington. Civil War . . . — Map (db m65488) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — The Laughlin Building
This building, dedicated in 1988 by William and Dara Laughlin, replaced a long-standing McLean landmark. In 1906, Matthew J. Laughlin, owner of a nearby dairy farm, purchased this lot. He built a residence/store here, which became a focal point of . . . — Map (db m57488) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), McLean — William Watters
William Watters (1751-1827) was appointed to a circuit at the first American Methodist Conference in Philadelphia in 1773, making him the first officially appointed American-born Methodist itinerant circuit rider. During the Revolutionary War . . . — Map (db m100972) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Merrifield — Luther P. Jackson High School
Luther P. Jackson High School, opened in 1954, was the first and only high school in Fairfax County created to serve the African-American community. The school was named after Luther Porter Jackson, a prominent historian, educator and founder of the . . . — Map (db m176) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Newington — Newington
Newington was the name given to the second Truro Parish Glebe House completed in 1760 after it became the private residence of Richard and Sarah McCarty Chichester after 1767. The William Nevitt family acquired the house and 1000 acre tract in 1828 . . . — Map (db m614) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Oakton — Hunter Mill Road
Considered to be a main north/south route from Fairfax Court House. Hunter Mill Road served as a key passageway for Union and Confederate traffic during the Civil War. The road was used to travel to and from the great battles of First and Second . . . — Map (db m35373) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Oakton — Vale School / Vale Community House
Vale School was built as a one-room public school ca. 1884. A second room was added in 1912. The school closed in 1931 when many small Fairfax County schools were consolidated. In 1934, women of this farming community formed Vale Home Demonstration . . . — Map (db m38711) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Oakton — Waple’s Mill
Approximately 1,200 feet southeast of this marker, on the west side of Difficult Run, was located Waple's Mill. George Henry Waple built it in 1867. For twenty-three years beginning in 1890 the grist and sawmill was owned and operated by Edward . . . — Map (db m7431) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — Keene’s Mill
A saw and grist mill built by James Keene between 1796 and 1800, when it was expanded, stood on the north side of the original Keene Mill Road right-of-way just to the east of this marker. The mill served the surrounding farm community for . . . — Map (db m104) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — Springfield Station
The first Springfield Station was located on the south side of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad near this location. Built after 1851, when the railroad was completed to Henry Daingerfield's "Springfield Farm," the station was the site of a Civil . . . — Map (db m156) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — The Civilian Conservation Corps
During the Depression, in 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration established the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) to help unemployed men, ages 18 to 25. CCC men created state parks, improved soil conservation, conducted . . . — Map (db m64562) HM
Virginia (Fairfax County), Springfield — The Orange And Alexandria Railroad Trestle
The original bridge crossing Accotink Creek was built in 1851 as part of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. During the Civil War the wooden trestle was an attractive target for Confederate soldiers. In his 28 Dec. 1862 raid on Burke's Station, . . . — Map (db m38) HM

51 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement