Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Massachusetts Bay Colony—Tercentenary Commission Markers Historical Markers

This series holds the Massachusetts Bay Colony markers erected in 1930, the 300th anniversary of the colony.
 
Macy-Colby House- Amesbury, Massachusetts image, Click for more information
By Russell C. Bixby, October 9, 2011
Macy-Colby House- Amesbury, Massachusetts
Massachusetts (Essex County), Amesbury — Macy-Colby House — 1630 - 1930
Thomas Macy, first town clerk of Amesbury, erected this house prior to 1654. Persecuted for harboring Quakers he sold the house and fled to Nantucket, becoming the first white settler as related in Whittier's poem "The Exiles." — Map (db m48772) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Balch House — 1630 - 1930
Built in 1638 by John Balch, who came over in 1623 with Captain Robert Gorges. The "Old Planters" received this land in exchange for their settlement at Salem. — Map (db m47949) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Conant House — 1630 - 1930
Roger Conant was a prudent and religious man who led the old planters from Gloucester to Salem in 1626, and held them together until the Bay Colony was founded. This house was built on land given by him to his son Exercise Conant in 1666 — Map (db m47357) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Hale Farm — 1630 - 1930
This house was built in 1694 by the Rev. John Hale, first minister of the first church in Beverly. A charge of witchcraft made against his wife convinced the minister of the folly and wickedness of the crusade and ended all witch-hunting in Beverly. — Map (db m48760) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Beverly — Planters Path to their Landing Place — 1630 - 1930
The old planters, Roger Conant, John Woodbery and John Balch used this path from their homesteads to the cove at the head of Bass river. — Map (db m47401) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Billerica — Danforth Homestead — 1630 - 1930
Site of homestead of Captain Jonathan Danforth, pioneer of Billerica and famous surveyor. "He rode the circuit, chain'd great towns and farms to good behavior; and by well worked stations he fixed their bounds for many generations. " — Map (db m48837) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Danvers — The Church in Salem Village — 1630 – 1930
To this church, rent by the witchcraft frenzy, came in 1697 the Reverend Joseph Green, aged twenty-two. He induced the mischief makers to confess, reconciled the factions, established the first public school, and became noted for his skill at . . . — Map (db m48723) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Free School — 1630 - 1930
A free school for Chebacco parish was opened in an upper room of this house in 1695 by the appointed master, Nathaniel Rust, Junior. The town gave "Six acres of pasture land for the benefit of the school and one-quarter acre for Mr. Rust's . . . — Map (db m47496) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — John Wise House — 1630 - 1930
Erected in 1701 by John Wise, pastor of the Chebacco parish of Ipswich, now Essex. Son of a laborer, Harvard graduate, army chaplain, protestant against taxation without representation and against the witchcraft delusion, defender of democracy in . . . — Map (db m47955) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Essex — Shipyard of 1668 — 1630 - 1930
In 1668 the town granted the adjacent acre of land "To the inhabitants of Ipswich for a yard to build vessels and to employ workmen for that end." The shipbuilding industry has continued uninterruptedly in Essex since that date. — Map (db m47495) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Georgetown — Goodrich Massacre — 1630 - 1930
Ten rods east stood the house of Benjamin Goodrich who, with his wife and two children, was slain by the Indians on October 23, 1692 — Map (db m47864) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — Planters Neck — 1630-1930
Here in 1630-31 a company from Plymouth, under Abraham Robinson, established a fishing station and built curing stages. For nearly two centuries and a half Annisquam was a fishing and ship-building center. — Map (db m48615) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — Samuel de Champlain — 1630 - 1930
In September, 1606, Samuel de Champlain landed at Rocky Neck in what is now Gloucester Harbor, to caulk his shallop, and made an accurate chart of the harbor which he called Le Beauport. — Map (db m48686) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Gloucester — Settlement of Cape Ann — 1630-1930
On this site in 1623 the Dorchester Adventurers founded the nucleus of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and fishing industry. Here Roger Conant averted bloodshed between two factions contending for a fishing stage, a notable ex- ample of arbitration in . . . — Map (db m48614) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Hamilton — The Covered Wagon — 1630 - 1930
On December 3, 1787, the first covered wagon to leave Massachusetts for the west set forth from this spot arriving the next spring in the northwest territory and founding Marietta, Ohio. — Map (db m47272) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Haverhill — Pentucket-Haverhill — 1630 - 1930
On this spot the Indians signed a deed granting Pentucket, now Haverhill, to the white settlers for three pounds ten shillings. The original deed dated November 15, 1642, is now in possession of the Haverhill Historical Society. — Map (db m47862) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Agawam - Ipswich — 1630 - 1930
Among the founders and early residents of Ipswich - 1630 - were John Winthrop, Junior, scientist and industrial pioneer; Nathaniel Ward, lawmaker and wit; Richard Bellingham and Richard Saltonstall, magistrates who defended popular rights; . . . — Map (db m47556) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Pillow Lace — 1630 - 1930
From the date of its settlement by John Winthrop and twelve associates, 1630, Agawam (Ipswich) was the seat of pillow lace making, by 1790 the annual production was 41,979 yards. This craft continued until the introduction of lace machinery. — Map (db m47920) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Ipswich — Revolution of 1689 — 1630 - 1930
Here on August 23, 1687, the citizens of Ipswich, led by the Reverend John Wise, denounced the levey of taxes by the arbirary government of Sir Edmund Andros, and from their protest sprang the American revolution of 1689 — Map (db m47594) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Lynn — Lynn — 1630-1930
The Indian region called Saugus, settled 1629 by people from the Puritan colony at Salem, named for Lynn Regis in England, 1637. First place in North America to make boots and shoes for export. — Map (db m48071) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Marblehead — Agnes Surriage Well — 1630 - 1930
Belonging to the Fountain Inn, where Sir Harry Frankland, collector of the Port of Boston, while supervising the erection of Fort Sewall, met Agnes Surriage in 1742. Agnes, a poor fisherman's daughter, later became Lady Frankland and returned with . . . — Map (db m47951) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Marblehead — Fort Sewall — 1630 - 1930
Built in 1742 for defence against French cruisers. U.S.S. "Constitution" sought shelter under the fort's guns when chased by H.M.S. "Tenedos" and "Endymion" April 3, 1814. Named after Samuel Sewall of Marblehead, Chief Justice of Massachusetts in . . . — Map (db m47952) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Marblehead — Old Burial Hill — 1630 - 1930
Established in 1638, one of the oldest graveyards in New England. Site of first meetinghouse. Six hundred Revolutionary heroes and several early pastors were interred at the top of the hill. — Map (db m48005) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Landing Place of First Settlers — 1630 - 1930
Landing place on River Parker of the men and women who settled in Newbury between 1635 and 1650. — Map (db m48219) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Newbury — 1630 - 1930
Indian region called Quascacunquen, settled 1635 under leadership of the puritan clergyman Thomas Parker — Map (db m47986) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newbury — Newbury — 1630 - 1930
Indian region called Quascacunquen. Settled 1635 under leadership of the puritan clergyman Thomas Parker. — Map (db m48593) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Approach to Carr's Ferry — 1630 - 1930
First ferry across the Merrimack river from Newbury to Salisbury, established about 1639, and the only route from Boston to the eastern frontier. In 1641 George Carr was appointed ferryman with rights which continued in his family for generations. — Map (db m47972) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Dalton House — 1630-1930
Built in 1746 by Michael Dalton, later the residence of his son, Tristram Dalton, one of the first two United States Senators from Massachusetts. Here were entertained George Washington and other distinguished men. — Map (db m49452) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Edward Rawson — 1630 - 1930
On this site dwelt Edward Rawson, secretary of the bay colony for thirty-six years, deputy to the General Court for twelve years, elected clerk of the House of Deputies in 1645, he died in Boston 1693. — Map (db m47984) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Newburyport — Watts' Cellar — 1630 - 1930
Near this spot was "Watts Cellar," a landmark before the settlement of Newbury in 1635. An excavation used for the storage of fish by fishermen who visited the New England coast. — Map (db m47985) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Bear Skin Neck — 1630 - 1930
Named from a bear caught by the tide and killed in 1700. Commercial and shipbuilding center of Rockport for 160 years. First dock built here 1743. Sandy Bay Pier Company organized 1809. Site of Stone Fort and Sea Fencibles Barrack during War of 1812. — Map (db m48007) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Benjamin Tarr House
1630 - 1930 Benjamin Tarr House -- Answering a sudden alarm to meet at the house of Lieutenant Benjamin Tarr, grandson of Richard Tarr the first settler, sixty-six men from this village under Captain John Rowe, marched to Charlestown and fought in . . . — Map (db m73109) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — First Settler — 1630 - 1930
Here stood the cabin of Richard Tarr founder of the Tarr Family on Cape Ann. He came to Marblehead in 1680, then settled in Sacco, Maine. Driven thence by Indians, he became the first settler of Sandy Bay (Rockport) in 1690. — Map (db m48008) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — John Pool — 1630 - 1930
Here stood the first framed house in Sandy Bay (Rockport) built in 1700 by the second settler John Pool. He built the first sawmill, bridge and vessel in this settlement, and furnished the lumber used in building Long Wharf, Boston, in 1710. — Map (db m48842) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Old First Parish Burying Ground — 1630 - 1930
Original plot given by the first settler, Richard Tarr, who was buried here in 1732. Here lie most of the early settlers and many of the officers and soldiers of the French and Indian, Revolutionary and 1812 Wars. — Map (db m48841) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rockport — Samuel De Champlain
Due east from here on July 16 1605 the Sieur De Monts sent Samuel De Champlain ashore to parley with some Indians. They danced for him and traced an outline map of Massachusetts Bay. These French explorers named this promontory, The Cape of Islands. — Map (db m74709) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — First Fulling Mill — 1630 - 1930
Ten rods west is the site of the first fulling mill in the English colonies, built about the year 1643 by John Pearson. — Map (db m47953) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Rowley — Rowley Burial Ground — 1630 - 1930
The burial ground set apartat the settlement of the town of Rowley in 1639. Here are buried Ezekiel Rogers, Samuel Phillips, Samuel Shepard, Edward Payson andJedediah Jewett, the earliest ministers of the town, and nearly all the original . . . — Map (db m47917) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salisbury — First Meetinghouse — 1630-1930
Site of the first meetinghouse built on the open green in 1640. The bell, hung in 1642, is said to have been brought from England by order of the Reverend William Worcester, who settled here in 1639. — Map (db m48121) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salisbury — Robert Pike Homestead
Near by stood the house built in 1639 by Robert Pike, a leader in civil and military affairs who represented Salisbury for thirty-seven years in the general court. — Map (db m75590) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Salisbury — Salisbury
Early name Colchester settled in 1638. Name changed to Salisbury in 1640 in compliment to is Puritan clergyman William Worcester of Salisbury, England — Map (db m77223) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Adam Hawkes — 1630-1930
Adam Hawkes, the first white settler in Saugus, built on this site about 1630. President John Adams was his great-grandson. — Map (db m48116) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Appleton's Pulpit — 1630-1930
In 1687 Major Appleton of Ipswich made a speech on this rock denouncing the tyranny of the Royal Governor, Sir Edmund Andros. A watch was stationed on the hill to give warning of any approach of the Crown Officers. — Map (db m48112) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — Iron Works — 1630-1930
"The Company of Undertakers for the Iron Works," consisting of English gentlemen and colonists, erected a furnace on this site in 1643. Joseph Jenks, their employe, built a forge here in 1647, invented the modern type of scythe, and built Boston's . . . — Map (db m48222) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Saugus — The Scotch House — 1630-1930
Erected in 1650 or 1651 by The Undertakers of the Iron Works in Lynn (Saugus) to house Scotch prisoners captured by Cromwell at the Battle of Dunbar and sold into seven years' service in New England as indentured servants. — Map (db m50198) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham — 1630 - 1930
Settled about 1636, called Enon "Because there was much water there" (St. John III, 23). Set off from Salem and name changed to Wenham 1643 — Map (db m47221) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham — 1630 - 1930
Settled about 1636, called Enon, "Because there was much water there" (St. John III, 23). Set off from Salem and name changed to Wenham 1643. — Map (db m48728) HM
Massachusetts (Essex County), Wenham — Wenham Lake — 1630 - 1930
Early called the Great Pond. Favorite resort of the indians. Hugh Peter preached on it's shores in 1638 — Map (db m48729) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Burke Fort — 1630 - 1930
Six rods easterly stood Burke Fort the first and largest, and also the first building in Fall Town. Built in 1738/39 by John Burke it was six rods square and contained eight houses. Fifty persons took shelter here during the old French and Indian . . . — Map (db m48254) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Connable Fort — 1630 - 1930
Site of the second fort and building in Fall Town, erected in 1739 by Samuel Connable. Its original timbers are still in the house on a knoll to the northwest. — Map (db m48774) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Deacon Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort — 1630 - 1930
The Lieutenant's son Ebenezer, later deacon of the church and first town treasurer, built a fort ten rods east of here in 1740/41. It was unsuccessfully attacked by Indians in 1746 during King George's War. — Map (db m48777) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Bernardston — Lieut. Ebenezer Sheldon's Fort — 1630 - 1930
Built in 1740 on this site. The first Proprietor's Meeting in Fall Town was held here in 1741. The Lieutenant's son Eliakim was shot by Indians in 1747 while working west of the fort walls. — Map (db m48011) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield — 1630 - 1930
Indian land called Pocomtuck, settled by men from Dedham in 1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, and abandoned in 1675. Reoccupied and attacked in 1704 by French and Indians, who took 47 lives, and carried off 112 captives to Canada, of whom 60 were . . . — Map (db m48012) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Deerfield — Old Deerfield — 1630 - 1930
Indian land called Pocomtuck, settled by men from Dedham in 1671. Attacked by Indians, burnt, and abandoned in 1675. Reoccupied and attacked in 1704 by French and Indians, who took 47 lives, and carried off 112 captives to Canada, of whom 60 were . . . — Map (db m48773) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Greenfield — Eunice Williams — 1630 - 1930
Eunice Williams, wife of the Reverend John Williams "The Redeemed Captive," was killed at this place on March 1, 1704, during the Deerfield massacre. — Map (db m29069) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Captain Richard Beers — 1630 - 1930
Grave of Captain Richard Beers, killed by Indians on September 4, 1675. His monument is on the mountain-side above. — Map (db m48779) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — First Settlement — 1630 - 1930
Here, enclosed by a stockade, the first settlement was made in 1673. Nine rods to the westward a fort was built in 1685 and eight rods southeast stood the Indians' Council Rock. — Map (db m48015) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Indian Council Fires — 1630 - 1930
Two hundred and fifty yards eastward are the sites of three large Indian council fires. The Beers Massacre of September 4, 1675, took place in a gorge one-quarter mile to the northeast. — Map (db m48780) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — King Philip's Hill — 1630 - 1930 — Sachem of the Wampanoag
Philip, second son and successor of Massasoit, Sachem of the Wampanoag, camped on this hill during the winter of 1675-6. The stump of a large look-out tree together with defence trenches are to be seen on top. — Map (db m48778) HM
Massachusetts (Franklin County), Northfield — Nathanial Dickinson House — 1630 - 1930
Nathaniel Dickinson lived here nineteen years in a fortified house but was scalped and killed by the Indians on April 15, 1747, at Pachaug Hill. — Map (db m42634) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Indian Hill — 1630 - 1930
Two miles distant on Indian Hill is the site of an Indian stronghold and storehouse for corn, Quaboag Old Fort, and of the Indian village of Ashquoach. — Map (db m48776) HM
Massachusetts (Hampden County), Brimfield — Steerage Rock — 1630 - 1930
Four miles distant on the summit of East Waddaquodduck Mountain is Steerage Rock, a landmark on the Indian trail which became known as the Bay Path and a guidepost to the pioneer settlers of the Connecticut Valley from Massachusetts Bay in 1636. — Map (db m88553) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Hadley — 1630 - 1930
Indian land called Norwottock. Settled in 1650 by families from Hartford. The Regicides Generals Goffe and Whalley were concealed for fifteen years in the Pastor's house. — Map (db m48174) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hadley — Hadley — 1630 - 1930
Indian land called Norwottock. Settled in 1650 by families from Hartford. The Regicides Generals Goffe and Whalley were concealed for fifteen years in the Pastor's house. — Map (db m48757) HM
Massachusetts (Hampshire County), Hatfield — Hatfield — 1630 - 1930
Before 1670 part of Hadley. Thrice attacked by Indians during King Philip's War. — Map (db m48175) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Acton — Captain John Heald — 1630 - 1930
Here was the home of Captain John Heald, first selectman of Acton, who on April 19, 1689, marched to Boston with a military company to assist in the overthrow of Sir Edmund Andros. — Map (db m48826) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Acton — Captain Thomas Wheeler House — 1630 - 1930
Site of first house in Acton, built by Captain Thomas Wheeler in 1668. He was commissioned to keep fifty cattle for the inhabitants and at night protect them in a yard from wild beasts. He was wounded by the Indians in King Philip's War. — Map (db m48823) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Acton — Faulkner Homestead — 1630 - 1930
Site of garrison house built before 1700. Opposite, Ammi Ruhamah Faulkner had his saw and grist mill and woolen mill in 1735. — Map (db m48819) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Captain Cooke’s Mill Lane — 1630 – 1930
The road to Captain Cooke’s grist mill, built in 1638; the first water mill in this vicinity. — Map (db m43050) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Arlington — Jason Russell House — 1630 – 1930
Built by Martha, widow of William Russell, about 1680. Occupied until 1890 by her descendants, of whom Jason Russell lost his life in the conflict of April 19, 1775. — Map (db m43052) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Billerica — Billerica — 1630 - 1930
Early name Shawshin, originally a part of Cambridge, set off as a town in 1655. Named after Billerica in Essex. — Map (db m48832) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Billerica — John Rogers Homestead — 1630 - 1930
Near this spot stood the John Rogers homestead, which was destroyed in the Indian massacre of 1695, and the entire family killed. — Map (db m48838) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Cambridge — 1630 - 1930
Location chosen in 1630 to be the capital of the Massachusetts Bay Colony. Settled in 1631 under leadership of Thomas Dudley and called the New Town. The College ordered to be here, 1637. Name changed to Cambridge after the English University Town, . . . — Map (db m48824) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Oldest House in Cambridge — 1630 – 1930
At Number 21 Linnaean Street is the Cooper-Austin House built in 1657 at what was then the northern end of the Cambridge Cow Common, by John Cooper, selectman, town clerk, and deacon of the church. — Map (db m43049) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Sir Richard's Landing — 1630 - 1930
Here at the river's edge the settlers of Watertown led by Sir Richard Saltonstall landed in June 1630. Later this spot became known as Gerry's Landing, for Elbridge Gerry, signer of the Declaration of Independence and Governor of Massachusetts who . . . — Map (db m48016) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Cambridge — Way to Charlestown — 1630 – 1930
Washington Street, Somerville, and Kirkland and Brattle Streets, Cambridge, "Skirting marshes and river," follow the old Indian trail from Charlestown to Watertown. Along this way in 1636 went the Reverend Thomas Hooker and his congregation on their . . . — Map (db m48017) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Chelmsford — Chelmsford — 1630 - 1930
Settled in 1653 by people from Concord and Woburn. Named after Chelmsford in Essex. — Map (db m48834) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Chelmsford — Chelmsford — 1630 - 1930
Settled in 1653 by people from Concord and Woburn. Named after Chelmsford in Essex. — Map (db m48836) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — Jethro’s Tree — 1630 - 1930
Near this spot stood the ancient oak known as Jethro’s Tree beneath which Major Simon Willard and his associates bought from the Indians the “6 myles of land square” ordered by the General Court for the Plantation of Concord September . . . — Map (db m18169) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Concord — The Milldam — 1630 - 1930
This short stretch of street still known as the milldam was the site of an Indian fishing weir and was laid out along the dam built soon after the settlement of the town in 1635. — Map (db m18170) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Dunstable — Dunstable — 1630 – 1930
Settled before 1673, a town in 1680, divided by the New Hampshire – Massachusetts boundary, the northern part becoming Nashua, New Hampshire in 1741. — Map (db m43413) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Dunstable — Dunstable — 1630 – 1930
Settled before 1673, a town in 1680, divided by the New Hampshire – Massachusetts boundary, the northern part becoming Nashua, New Hampshire in 1741. — Map (db m43415) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Framingham — Pike Haven Homestead — 1630 - 1930
Built in 1693 by Jeremiah Pike. He and his descendants were town and militia officers, yeomen and makers of spinning wheels, in the colonial period. This house has been occupied by the same family for eight generations. — Map (db m48805) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Groton — Groton — 1630 - 1930
Settled as a frontier town in 1655 in the Indian region called Petapawag. When attacked by Indians of King Philip in 1676 all houses but four were burned, and the town was temporarily abandoned. Again attacked in 1689, 1704 and 1723. — Map (db m48822) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Groton — Parker House — 1630 - 1930
Near by stood a garrison house, residence of Captain James Parker, Commander of the town forces in King Philip's War. Here Captain Parker parleyed with the Indian Chief John Monoco regarding his threat to burn Groton and Boston, March 13, 1676. — Map (db m48821) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Hopkinton — The Bay Path — 1630 - 1930
An Indian trail before 1630. Pathway of the Pioneers. — Map (db m50139) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Meetinghouse Hill — 1630 - 1930
Site of chapel erected in 1653 for John Eliot, the Apostle to the Indians. Here he preached to the Wamesit and Pennacook Indians, converting many and establishing a village of Christian Indians called Wamesit. — Map (db m48839) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Lowell — Wannalancet — 1630 - 1930
On Wickasee Island (now Tyngs Island) in the Merrimac dwelt Wannalancet, last sachem of the Pennacook Confederacy, and like his father Passaconway, a faithful friend to the English. — Map (db m48022) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Marlborough — Williams Tavern — 1630 - 1930
The first tavern was erected on this site by Lieutenant Abraham Williams in 1665. Destroyed by Indians in 1676, it was promptly rebuilt and managed by the Williams Family until 1829. Here the early Circuit Courts convened, stage coaches changed . . . — Map (db m48023) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Medford — Royall House — 1630 - 1930
Mansion built by Isaac Royall who came here from Antigua with his slaves in 1737. His son Isaac Royall, a loyalist, founded at Harvard the oldest law professorship in the United States. Headquarters of General John Stark during the Siege of Boston. — Map (db m50420) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Natick — Indian Meetinghouse — 1630 - 1930
On this site John Eliot helped his Indian converts to build their first meetinghouse in 1651, with a "prophet's chamber" where he lodged on his fortnightly visits to preach to them in their language. His disciple Daniel Takawambait succeeded to the . . . — Map (db m48806) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Newton — Site of Early Meeting House — 1630 - 1930
The original meetinghouse of the First Church in Newton was built in this burying ground in 1660. The first pastor was John Eliot, Jr., son of the Apostle to the Indians. — Map (db m48820) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Reading — Reading — 1630 - 1930
Formerly part of Lynn, called Lynn Village, set off as a separate town 1664. — Map (db m41957) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Reading — The Old Parker Tavern - 1680 — 1630 - 1930
One-eighth of a mile to "the simple home of an ordinary man, not wealthy, not particularly distinguished, but a type of the God-fearing yeomanry .... as Ephraim Parker left it, it remains today an unchanged relic in the midst of a . . . — Map (db m48840) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sherborn — Sherborn — 1630 - 1930
Settled in 1652 and called Boggastow, became a town in 1674. — Map (db m48802) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Shirley — Old Parsonage — 1630 - 1930
The house of the first minister of Shirley, Phinehas Whitney. Dorothy Quincy and Madam Lydia Hancock visited here; and here also in 1773 came John Hancock to accompany them home. Moved to this site in 1906 it became the Rectory of St. Anthony's . . . — Map (db m48809) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Shirley — The Revolutionary Tavern — 1630 - 1930
Built before 1747 and kept from 1758 to 1790 by Obadiah Sawtell, "the old landlord." He was a delegate to the Provincial Congress. Here the men gathered at the alarm on April 19, 1775. — Map (db m48815) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Somerville — Powder House — 1630 - 1930
This stone windmill built by John Mallet about 1703 was sold to the Province for a gun powder magazine in 1747. Rifled by General Gage of the Colony's powder on I September 1774, it became a magazine of the American Army in 1775-76. — Map (db m48827) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Stow — Stow — 1630 - 1930
The plantation called Pompositticut, settled about 1660, became a town and received its present name, 1685. — Map (db m48026) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Stow — Stow — 1630 - 1930
The plantation called Pompositticut, settled about 1660, became a town and received its present name, 1685. — Map (db m48027) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — Hop Brook Mill — 1630 - 1930
To the left is the site of Hop Brook Mill, erected in 1659 by virtue of a town grant to Thomas and Peter Noyes, "to build and maintain a mill to grind the corn of the settlers." It is now the property of Henry Ford. — Map (db m48812) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — Sudbury — 1630 - 1930
Settled 1638 by a company of Puritans who arrived in the ship "Confidence" and were attracted by the meadows on the Musketaquid River. Named after Sudbury in Suffolk. — Map (db m48028) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — Sudbury Fight — 1630 - 1930
One-quarter mile north took place the Sudbury Fight with King Philip's Indians on April 21, 1676. Captain Samuel Wadsworth fell with twenty-eight of his men; their monument stands in the burying ground. — Map (db m48811) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Sudbury — The Goodnow Garrison House — 1630 - 1930
Portion of the Goodenow Garrison House in which the settlers took refuge from King Philip's Indians during the battle of April 18-21, 1676. — Map (db m48813) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Tyngsborough — Mansion House — 1630 - 1930
This mansion was built in 1675 by Colonel Jonathan Tyng for whom this town was named. It was the northerly outpost to the garrison house which stood a quarter-mile down stream opposite Wicassee Falls and Island where the Pawtucket Indians were . . . — Map (db m48835) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Watertown — 1630 - 1930
Settled by Puritans in 1630 under the leadership of Sir Richard Saltonstall and the Rev. George Phillips who stood firmly for religious toleration and the right of the people to a representative government. — Map (db m48029) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Watertown — Watertown — 1630 - 1930
Settled by Puritans in 1630 under the leadership of Sir Richard Saltonstall and the Rev. George Phillips who stood firmly for religious toleration and the right of the people to a representative government. — Map (db m48030) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Wayland — First Town Center — 1630 - 1930
Site of first meetinghouse and center of settlement of the Sudbury Plantation, 1638. — Map (db m48817) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Winchester — John Harvard's Land — 1630 - 1930
In 1638 this tract of about one hundred and twenty acres was granted by the town of Charlestown to its Teaching Elder John Harvard. He died the same year, aged thirty-one, leaving half his property to the College which was then named after him. — Map (db m48833) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Winchester — Site of First House — 1630 - 1930
Built in 1640 by Edward Converse, who led the party sent out by Charlestown to explore "Waterfield." Selectman twenty-four years, deacon nineteen years, arrested in 1662 for speaking disrespectfully of the King's letter. — Map (db m48831) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Winchester — The Symmes Farm — 1630 - 1930
Farm of about three hundred acres granted to the Reverend Zachariah Symmes, first minister of Charlestown, in 1634. This portion of the farm is still owned by his descendants. — Map (db m48830) HM
Massachusetts (Middlesex County), Woburn — Woburn — 1630 - 1930
Settled by men from Charlestown under Captain Edward Johnson. Named in 1642 after Woburn, Bedfordshire. Here was born and grew up together Colonel Loammi Baldwin, the Engineer, and Benjamin Thompson (Count Rumford), Philanthropist and Scientist. — Map (db m48764) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Ponkapoag Plantation — 1630 - 1930
The north line of Ponkapoag Plantation second of the Apostle Eliot's Praying Indian towns, set apart by the Dorchester Proprietors in 1657. — Map (db m48803) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Dedham — 1630 - 1930
Settled in 1636 by people from Watertown and Roxbury. In early years the town extended to the Rhode Island line. — Map (db m48173) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Fairbanks House — 1630 - 1930
Oldest house in Dedham, a part of it built about 1636. Homestead of Jonathan Fairbanks, who, with his sons John, George, and Jonathan, Junior, signed the Dedham Covenant September 10, 1636. Ancestral home of the late Vice- President Fairbanks. — Map (db m48808) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Medfield — Peak House — 1630 - 1930
The original house, built in 1651, was burned when King Philip's Indians burnt the town of Medfield in 1676. Seth Clark, the owner, received indemnity from the colonial government and in 1680 rebuilt the present Peak house, so called because of its . . . — Map (db m48797) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Milton — Indian Trail — 1630 - 1930
Churchill's Lane. When the Indians sold their land near the mouth of the Neponset River they removed to the territory south of the Blue Hills, which they called Ponkapoag, sweet water. — Map (db m48814) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Moswetuset Hummock — 1630 - 1930
Moswetuset Hummock was the seat of Chickatawbut, Sagamore of the Massachusetts Indians; adjoining were their planting grounds. "Massachusetts" means "at the Great (Blue) Hills." With Chickatawbut Governor Winthrop made a treaty which was never . . . — Map (db m48818) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — William Hutchinson's Grant — 1630 - 1930
In William Hutchinson's house near this spot his wife Anne tarried on her way to Rhode Island, exiled from Massachusetts by the General Court in April, 1638. — Map (db m48816) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hingham — Old Ship Church — 1630 - 1930
Erected in 1681, it is the oldest church structure in the United States to have been used continuously for public worship. Samuel Lincoln, original American ancestor of Abraham Lincoln, worshipped here regularly. — Map (db m48810) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hingham — Samuel Lincoln House — 1630 - 1930
Samuel Lincoln, ancestor of President Abraham Lincoln, and one of the eight early settlers of Hingham bearing that name, purchased this land in 1649. Seven generations of Lincoln descendants lived here. — Map (db m42633) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hull — Hull — 1630 - 1930
Indian region called Natascot, a fishing station as early as 1622 settled by the Puritans 1630. Name changed to Hull 1644. — Map (db m48032) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Hull — Hull — 1630 - 1930
Indian region called Natascot, a fishing station as early as 1622 settled by the Puritans 1630. Name changed to Hull 1644. — Map (db m48033) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Marshfield — Old Marshfield Training Field — 1630 - 1930
The Old Marshfield Training Field and Meetinghouse of the First Parish where Daniel Webster attended church. Home of Daniel Webster. Home of Governor Edward Winslow. Historic Winslow House is open to visitors in summer. — Map (db m48763) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Middleborough — The Wading Place — 1630 - 1930
Site of the ford or wading place where the Indian trail from Plymouth to "Middleberry" (Middleborough) crossed the Nemasket River. When the town was established, 1669, its southern boundary was described as extending "Six mile from the wadeing . . . — Map (db m48788) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Early Boundary Line — 1630 - 1930
Boundary line between Norfolk and Plymouth Counties, originally established in 1640 as the boundary between the colonies of Massachusetts Bay and New Plymouth. — Map (db m49623) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Gannett’s Corner — 1630 - 1930
Settled by Mathew Gannett in 1651. — Map (db m48035) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Satuit Brook — 1630 - 1930
From which the town derived its name. The Indian word first written Satuit or Seteat, meaning cold brook, was changed in 1640 to Scituate. — Map (db m42628) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Site of Stockbridge Mansion — 1630 - 1930
The Stockbridge mansion, built before 1660, stood on this site. It was a garrison house in King Philip’s War for protection of the mills, and was successfully defended. The pond and mill were made famous by Woodworth’s poem "The Old Oaken Bucket." — Map (db m48800) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — The Old Oaken Bucket — 1630 - 1930
Homestead and well made famous by Samuel Woodworth in his poem “The Old Oaken Bucket.” Homestead erected by John Northey in 1675; poet born in Scituate January 13, 1785. — Map (db m48801) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Third Cliff — 1630 - 1930
The first plantations at "Satuit" were laid out by the Men of Kent before 1628 on this cliff, which was then much more extensive. — Map (db m48038) HM
Massachusetts (Plymouth County), Scituate — Williams-Barker House — 1630 - 1930
A portion of the house built by John Williams in 1634 is incorporated in the present house. It was a "garrison" or place of refuge and defense during King Philip's War. — Map (db m48804) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Chelsea — Bellingham-Cary Mansion — 1630 - 1930
Six hundred feet from this point is the mansion built by Governor Richard Bellingham in 1659, rebuilt and enlarged by Samuel Cary in 1791. Here Washington stationed the last outpost of the left wing of the Continental Army besieging Boston. — Map (db m48829) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Winthrop — Deane Winthrop House — 1630 - 1930
In 1637 William Peirce, Captain of the ship "Lion" erected this house which was occupied from 1647 to 1703 by Deane Winthrop, younger son of Governor Winthrop. — Map (db m48828) HM
Massachusetts (Suffolk County), Winthrop — Governor Winthrop House — 1630 - 1930
Site of house erected by Governor Winthrop about 1634 and occupied for a time previous to 1647 by his son Deane who established on the nearby hill a ship signaling station by hoisting a bush to the top of a pole. — Map (db m48825) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Brookfield — Brookfield — 1630 -- 1930
Settled in 1660 by men from Ipswich on Indian lands called Quaboac. Attacked by Indians in 1675. One garrison house defended to the last. Reoccupied twelve years later. — Map (db m48781) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Grafton — Hassanamesit — 1630 - 1930
John Eliot established here in 1651 a village of Christian Indians called Hassanamesit - "at a place of small stones." It was the home of James the Printer who helped Eliot to print the Indian Bible. — Map (db m93037) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Grafton — Indian Reservation — 1630 - 1930
These four and one-half acres have never belonged to the white man, having been set aside in 1728 as an Indian Reservation by the forty proprietors who purchased the Praying Indian town of Hassanamesit. — Map (db m93038) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Grafton — Thomas Hooker Trail — 1630 - 1930
Crossing the highway at this point is the Indian trail followed by the Reverend Thomas Hooker in 1636 when, with his invalid wife borne on a litter, he led a company of Massachusetts settlers to found Hartford, Connecticut. — Map (db m93035) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Lancaster — 1630 - 1930
The Plantation of Nasheway embracing this and several adjoining towns was granted to a group of "Undertakers" in search of iron deposits, in 1644. John Prescott the first settler made a success of frontier farming under great difficulties. — Map (db m48798) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Lancaster — Rowlandson Rock — 1630 - 1930
On the crest of George Hill, near by, is situated Rowlandson Rock where the captives from the Rowlandson garrison house passed their first night after the burning of Lancaster by the Indians February 10, 1675–76. — Map (db m48799) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Mendon — First Meeting House — 1630 - 1930
Here stood Mendon's first meetinghouse, built in 1668 and destroyed by Indians in 1676. Joseph Emerson, the minister, was an ancestor of Ralph Waldo Emerson. — Map (db m48762) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), New Braintree — Wheeler’s Surprise — 1630 – 1930
One mile to the southwest, off the North Brookfield Road, Edward Hutchinson’s company seeking a parley with the Nipmucs was ambushed by Indians August 2, 1675, and more than half were slain. Captain Hutchinson died from his wounds. Captain Thomas . . . — Map (db m48786) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), North Oxford — Clara Barton’s Birthplace — 1630 – 1930
One mile westward Clara Barton, "the angel of the battlefield," was born in 1821. A volunteer nurse in the Civil War, she served the International Red Cross in the Franco-Prussian War, founded the American Red Cross and served as its president for . . . — Map (db m48042) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Northborough — Mary Goodnow's Grave — 1630 - 1930
Mary Goodnow who lived here with her parents was lame and unable to run to the garrison house for safety when the indians attacked Northborough, August 18, 1707. A short path leads through the woods to her grave near the place where she fell. — Map (db m48796) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — Huguenot Settlement — 1630 - 1930
Up this road on Mayo's Hill, are the remains of a bastioned fort built by Huguenots driven from France by the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. Their prosperous settlement was interrupted by Indian attacks in 1696, and finally abandoned in 1704. — Map (db m48787) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — Old Maanexit Ford — 1630 - 1930
From this ford branched trails to Woodstock, Brookfield and Sturbridge. This way ran the Post Route established in 1672 "to goe monthly" from New York to Boston. Here, June 5, 1676, Major Talcott's Connecticut troops passed to join the final . . . — Map (db m48784) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Oxford — The Johnson Massacre — 1630 - 1930
John Johnson and three children were killed by Indians in his house on this spot August 25, 1696. His wife was saved by her brother. — Map (db m48785) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Princeton — Redemption Rock — 1630 - 1930
Upon the rock fifty feet west of this spot Mary Rowlandson, wife of the first minister of Lancaster, was redeemed from captivity under King Philip. The narrative of her experience is one of the classics of colonial literature. — Map (db m48794) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Sturbridge — Tantiusques — 1630 – 1930
The graphite or blacklead deposit near by was valued by the Indians for face paint, and by the white men for pencils and other uses. John Winthrop, Jr., was "granted the hill at Tantousq" in 1644, and began to exploit the mine in 1658. — Map (db m48043) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Webster — Chaubunagungamaug — 1630 - 1930
Site of Praying Indian town established by John Eliot and Daniel Gookin in 1674 and known as Chaubunagungamaug. — Map (db m48783) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), West Brookfield — Fort Gilbert — 1630 - 1930
Here stood Fort Gilbert, built about 1688 to protect the second settlement of Brookfield from Indian raids. — Map (db m48782) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Westborough — The Old Connecticut Path — 1630 - 1930
An Indian trail before 1630 left the road here to go over Fay Mountain. — Map (db m48793) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — First Mill — 1630 - 1930
A few rods east stood the house and mill of John Wing built in 1684. This was the only house left standing after the breaking of the second settlement of Worcester. — Map (db m48044) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Indian Village Pakachoag — 1630 - 1930
One-half mile up Malvern Road is the Indian spring and the site of the Indian village Pakachoag, clear spring, one of the three Indian villages on Worcester ground. John Eliot preached here in 1674. — Map (db m88496) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Jonas Rice — 1630 - 1930
On the slope of the hill one-half mile west stood the house of Jonas Rice, the first permanent dwelling in Worcester, built in 1713. He served as schoolmaster and his son, Adonijah, was the first white child born in Worcester. — Map (db m48790) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Samuel Leonardson — 1630 - 1930
At the end of Hamilton Street is the site of the Leonardson house from which in 1695 Samuel, aged twelve, was taken captive. Two years later he was with his Indian master at the burning of Haverhill and helped Hannah Dustin to make her escape. — Map (db m48791) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Wigwam Hill — 1630 - 1930
One mile north on Wigwam Hill was one of the three Indian villages on Worcester ground. The heirs of Sagamore Pennasanet sold their rights to Captains Gookin, Henchman and Prentice on December 6, 1677. — Map (db m48045) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Worcester — 1630 - 1930
The first settlement of this lonely region called Quinsigamond was attempted in 1673, but abandoned during King Philip's War. A second settlement, attempted in 1684, soon named Worcester, was also temporarily abandoned because of Indian hostility. . . . — Map (db m48046) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Worcester — 1630 - 1930
The first settlement of this lonely region called Quinsigamond was attempted in 1673, but abandoned during King Philip's War. A second settlement, attempted in 1684, soon named Worcester, was also temporarily abandoned because of Indian hostility. . . . — Map (db m48047) HM
Massachusetts (Worcester County), Worcester — Worcester — 1630 - 1930
The first settlement of this lonely region called Quinsigamond was attempted in 1673, but abandoned during King Philip's War. A second settlement, attempted in 1684, soon named Worcester, was also temporarily abandoned because of Indian hostility. . . . — Map (db m48048) HM

161 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement