"The world shall yet decide,
In truth's clear, far-off light,
That the soldiers who wore the gray, and died
With Lee were in the right!"
"Brave men may die - right has no . . . — Map (db m11279) WM
Abbeville's 6th courthouse - designed in beaux arts classical style by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta - dedicated in 1908 with City Hall/Opera House. (Two buildings indirectly financed by profits from Abbeville Dispensary, only one still operating . . . — Map (db m14870) HM
Abbeville was a railway stopover for "road companies" traveling eastern seaboard from New York to Atlanta so town included an Opera House in its new municipal building designed by Edwards & Walter of Atlanta.
• Dedicated October 1st, 1908 . . . — Map (db m10354) HM
The heart of Abbeville's Historic District is the magnificent tree-shaded Court Square. Located here is the replica of the original Confederate Monument erected in August, 1906 by the Daughters of the Confederacy, an old iron bell once used as . . . — Map (db m12097) HM
Opened August 1903 as $30,000 hotel "The Eureka" under management W.T. McFall. Built to cater to "drummers" of the textile trade with 30 rooms and 1 public bath. Banquet rooms used to show their wares while Curtain Call Lounge was a barber shop. . . . — Map (db m7169) HM
Burt-Stark House When Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, left Richmond after its fall in April 1865, he traveled south, trying to reach and rally the remnants of his army. On May 2, he spent the night at the home of Col. Armistead . . . — Map (db m10564) HM
This 1888 Queen Anne house was the home of Gen. Samuel McGowan (1819-1897) until his death. McGowan, a lawyer, Confederate general, and jurist born in Laurens Co., had moved to Abbeville in 1841. He was an officer during the . . . — Map (db m21732) HM
Designed by S. Henry James to house first Bank of South Carolina in the Upstate (later became National Bank of Abbeville). One of oldest remaining buildings on the Square after a series of downtown fires in 1870s destroyed much of downtown.
Bank . . . — Map (db m11918) HM
Trinity Episcopal Church is the oldest standing church in Abbeville. With its classic Gothic architecture and 125-foot steeple, it dominates the Abbeville skyline. Built by a congregation made prosperous by the economy of cotton in the antebellum . . . — Map (db m11921) HM