Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Maryland, Chesapeake City Historic District Historical Markers

 
Brady-Rees House image, Click for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2010
Brady-Rees House
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B104 — Brady-Rees House C. 1870
This house is the best representation of a Victorian Gothic style home in town. It is 5 bays wide with a beautifully etched transom light adorning the front entrance. Henry Brady owned the mule teams that pulled the barges through the canal. Being . . . — Map (db m33589) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B206 — Capt. Colmary-Salmon House C. 1848
This home is architecturally important as it is one of two mid 19th century dwellings with Greek Revival overtones. These buildings being two rooms deep were pace setters for other buildings in town. Captain Abraham Colmary built this house in 1848 . . . — Map (db m33578) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B19 — Cropper House C. 1833
Over the years this building has served many purposes. Originally the building was the home of captain Kendall Cropper in 1833 who, along with his three brothers, were instrumental in founding the town. Dr. Thomas Conrey was another early owner of . . . — Map (db m33559) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B204 — Dr. Smither's House C. 1848
Built by Firman Layman, this house is a prime example of original details from the late 1840's when the Greek Revival architecture was in vogue. Waitman Smithers, the toll collector and later superintendent of the C&D Canal, purchased the house in . . . — Map (db m33579) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B98 — Franklin Hall C. 1870
In Revolutionary times this site was occupied by the very popular Chick's Tavern, one of 2 buildings in Bohemia Village. In the 1800's the property was obtained by Thomas Conrey who constructed this Romanesque style building C. 1870 using locally . . . — Map (db m33590) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — C220 — Gassaway House C. 1860
The original lease for this property dated October 4, 1856 given to Henry Robinson. Robert & Evelyn Gassaway resided in and owned the property in the 1970's. Mr. Gassaway became the first African American mayor elected to that office by 80 percent . . . — Map (db m33565) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G406 — Jennie Whiteoak House C. 1864
This home is recognized for having the "Dunnage" or scrap wood that was removed from passing ships and used as siding. Also called the Reeves House as Pop Reeve's lived here from 1951 to 1985. A complete restoration in the early 1990's brought this . . . — Map (db m33570) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B224 — Karsner-Wilsey House/Office C. 1884
Like it's neighbors this house is 3 story, 3 bay frame dwelling with a rear wing. Standing on a stone foundation, it is covered with weather-boards. Dr. William C. Karsner built this home c. 1884. He served the people of Chesapeake City and the . . . — Map (db m33574) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G111 — Kinter-Metz House 1854
Thomas Conrey probably had this house built around 1854 with lumber from his mill. In 1876 it came into the possession of Jacob Metz and his wife, Sarah. Mr. Metz was a blacksmith with a business on the corner of Front Street and William Street. . . . — Map (db m33563) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Long Bridge
A section of this fence was originally a railing on both sides of the "Long Bridge". this steel bridge, pictured here in 1906 was a center-pivot span operated manually with a large crank. It connected City Dock (now Pell Gardens) to the Causeway . . . — Map (db m33591) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G400 — McReynolds-Woods House C. 1870
This home was occupied by several notable people over the years. The bridge tender for the long bridge, Mr. Hevelow, used the railing from the bridge to fence in the yard. Capt. Ed Sheridan operated the ferry which would transverse the canal, until . . . — Map (db m33569) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B109 — National Bank of Chesapeake City C. 1903
The National Bank of Chesapeake City was built in 1903 by the John Banks family. The exterior is Port Deposit granite and the interior still houses the original bank vault and tin ceilings. This massive granite building is two bays wide and three . . . — Map (db m33582) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — Pell Gardens 1982
Pell Gardens was dedicated in October of 1982 to honor Dr. Walden Pell who with his wife Edith were instrumental in the early restoration of town buildings and establishing the Civic Association, both in the 1970s. Dr. Pell was headmaster of St. . . . — Map (db m33592) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B208 — Sarah Beaston House C. 1848
Sarah Beaston was a prominent business person in Chesapeake city (Bohemia Village) in the early 1800's. she had this house built circa 1848 as her retirement home. Previously, she owned and operated the Bayard House, having sold it to Richard Bayard . . . — Map (db m33576) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G-221 — Savin-Conrey House 1848
This building has been greatly altered since it was constructed. It maintains the continuity of the closely-built dwellings along George Street. This is another of the houses built by Thomas Conrey using the products of his mill on the causeway. In . . . — Map (db m73780) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — F401 — Shipwatch Inn C. 1930
This waterfront property was originally built as a private residence in 1920 for Captain Firman Layman, proprietor of the Bayard House Restaurant. The property housed a stable, barber shop and apartments until 1996 when it was renovated and restored . . . — Map (db m33561) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G301 — Steele-Davis House C. 1872
This Federal-Italianate home was originally a two story school house and Odd Fellows lodge. In 1872, the three story front section was built by Joseph Hedrick, the official of the C&D Canal. In 1879, Mr. Hedrick was caught using canal funds to . . . — Map (db m36720) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G327 — Stubbs-Caldwell House C. 1874
Built by Richard B. stubbs, this is one of the few buildings which have gables attached to the facade, giving it a Victorian Gothic element. The one story angled porch follows the configuration of the facade and bay window, creating a semi-octagonal . . . — Map (db m33571) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B11 — The Bayard House c. 1780
The building is considered to be the oldest building in Chesapeake City. Charles and Sarah Beaston purchased Bayard House in 1809 and opened as a tavern and inn in 1829. The tavern was run by Firman Layman until his death in 1881. In 1911, it was . . . — Map (db m51000) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — G224 — The Whiteoak House C. 1840
Architecturally the Whiteoak House is representative of vernacular buildings constructed in Chesapeake City in the 1840's and 50's. Old timers in Chesapeake City claim this house rests on the 1st lot sold in town. In 1854, Richard Bayard leased the . . . — Map (db m33572) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — B108 — Town Hall C. 1914
Ralph Rees built this commercial building to house his hardware store around 1914. Like many early twentieth century commercial front buildings, only the pressed tin facade raises two stories. This building housed Rees hardware store and an agency . . . — Map (db m33588) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — World War I Monument
This tablet is dedicated by the people of Chesapeake City and the Second Election District of Cecil County, Maryland To those of their number who offered their lives in defense of humanity in the Great War of Nations 1914 - 1918 Roll of Honor Lest . . . — Map (db m33585) HM
Maryland (Cecil County), Chesapeake City — World War II Monument
In grateful tribute to the men and women of the Second district who served in World War II Glory to them that died in this great cause Basalyga, Walter Bailey, Harry Cahall, William K. Fithian, Albert Gilbert, Robert Heverin, Willard P. . . . — Map (db m33567) HM

23 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement