Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sons of Utah Pioneers Historical Markers

Markers reflecting primarily Mormon history.
 
First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker image, Click for more information
By Bill Kirchner, February 13, 2010
First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix Marker
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — First Latter-day Saint Chapel in Phoenix
The first meetinghouse in Phoenix for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) was built on this site by the three-hundred-member congregation of the Phoenix Ward. At the time, J. Robert Price was bishop. Since their beginning . . . — Map (db m27613) HM
Idaho (Madison County), Rexburg — Rexburg Tabernacle Centennial1912-2012
Ground was broken on May 14, 1911 by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to construct a tabernacle for the purpose of holding conference, baptisms, and other special meetings. President Joseph F. Smith dedicated the tabernacle eight . . . — Map (db m84346) HM
Nevada (Douglas County), Genoa — 36 — Mormon Station - Genoa
In early June, 1850, a party of Mormons led by Abner and Thomas Blackburn, Hampton S. Beatie and Joseph Dumont, established a trading post about a mile to the north of this site. In September, as they returned to Salt Lake City, a party of Bannock . . . — Map (db m20698) HM
Utah (Iron County), Cedar City — Ellen (Nellie) Purcell Unthank
Ellen (Nellie) Purcell was born November 6, 1846 in Tintwhistle, England. At 9 she, with her parents and sister Margaret (Maggie), 14, began the trek from Iowa to Salt Lake Valley in 1856 with the Edward Martin Handcart Company. Early snows . . . — Map (db m59517) HM
Utah (Iron County), Parowan — John C. Freemont Memorial
Seeking a suitable railroad route through the central Rockies, John C. Freemont and Company reached Parowan February 6, 1854. These are Freemont's own words, "We were all so feeble we could barely drag ourselves down the trail, but the Mormons . . . — Map (db m59610) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — 115 — Fort Kanab
On June 14, 1870 Levi Stewart, who had been called from Salt Lake County by President Brigham Young to head a group of pioneers in settling this area, brought a party with seven wagons from Pipe Springs, where they had camped temporarily, to Fort . . . — Map (db m41252) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — 228 — Honeymoon Trail
From 1877 to 1927, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints traveled this route to be united in eternal marriage in the St. George Utah Temple. Thus, the route was named the “Honeymoon Trail.” Families came from . . . — Map (db m95008) HM
Utah (Kane County), Kanab — 21 — Jacob HamblinBorn April 2, 1819 Died August 21, 1886
The great Mormon frontiersman and Indian missionary settled in Tooele Valley, Utah in 1850 and began peaceful negotiations with the Red Men. He was so successful that the officials of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints sent him to . . . — Map (db m41254) HM
Utah (Kane County), Mt Carmel Junction — 120 — The Historic Dixie-Long Valley, Utah Pioneer Trail
Segments of the old Indian trails between St. George and Long Valley were used by Mormon pioneers to settle Long Valley in 1864 and for its resettlement in 1871 following Indian conflicts. The trail divided just east of present-day Colorado City, . . . — Map (db m74733) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Magna — 28 — Early Magna Settlements
In Commemoration of the First Communities Established on the West Side of Salt Lake Valley and the First Major Industry of Utah. In 1853 Abraham Coon, an early Mormon pioneer, explored a canyon in the Oquirrh Mountains on the west side of . . . — Map (db m35077) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Riverton — 7 — Early Riverton and the Magnificent Dome Church
The first known residents of the Riverton area were the Yo No Indians, a poor tribe living along the Jordan River. Well-worn trails extended from Utah Lake where various tribes wintered, to Bear Lake where they rendezvoused during the summer. Much . . . — Map (db m34682) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 39 — Jordan & Salt Lake City Canal
The foundation work on the Salt Lake Temple was nearing completion and soon would be ready for the granite upper walls. The four day trip from the quarry with oxen-drawn wagons could not possibly provide stone as quickly as it was needed. To . . . — Map (db m1420) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — 16 — Legacy of the Black Pioneer
In 1824-26 the first black man came into Utah Territory. He was a trapper for the Rocky Mountain Fur Company. His name was James Beckworth. In succeeding years many black people would follow to contribute to the development of Utah, socially and . . . — Map (db m1379) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — Pioneer Telegraph Office
At this location on October 18 1861 stood the telegraph pole, shown on above plaque, on which telegraph wires were joined which spanned a continent and united two oceans. On that date the first two telegrams transmitted were as follows: Great . . . — Map (db m35085) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — Sesquicentennial Mormon Trail Wagontrain
(150 Years). Winter Quarters, Nebraska to the Valley of the Great Salt Lake, April 21, 1997 to July 22, 1997. On a cold rainy morning in April 1997, modern day pioneers left Florence, Nebraska, the old winter quarters, to re-enact the . . . — Map (db m1449) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Salt Lake City — The Pony Express
The Pony Express Pony Express Division Headquarters Here, Ben Ficklin, General Superintendent, and Major Howard Egan and James C. Bromley, Division Superintendents, had their headquarters. The Following Were Honored Utah Riders . . . — Map (db m35405) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), Taylorsville — 9 — The Old School House
On this site, 6200 South and Redwood Road, in the year 1905 stood the 64th District School House. It was a red brick building consisting of two large rooms on the west side and a single large room on the east side. The name of the school was . . . — Map (db m41348) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), West Jordan — 35 — Salt Lake and Utah Railroad
The Salt Lake and Utah Railroad—better known in Utah as the “Orem Line”—extended from Salt Lake City through the city of South Jordan, at this location, and to Payson, a distance of 67 miles. A branch line of 9 miles in . . . — Map (db m35549) HM
Utah (Salt Lake County), West Jordan — 12 — Utah Idaho Sugar FactoryWest Jordan, Utah 1916-1970
In 1849 Governor Brigham Young sent Apostle John Taylor on a mission to France to investigate industries that could be successfully established in the New Mountain Empire. There he met Philip De Lamare, a man of exceptional talents and substantial . . . — Map (db m35548) HM
Utah (San Juan County), Bluff — The San Juan Mission
Bluff was the first settlement of the white man in San Juan County and its first county seat. It was founded April 6, 1880 by the San Juan Mission "called" by the L.D.S. Church to establish friendly relations with the Indians. A small band of . . . — Map (db m95043) HM
Utah (Sanpete County), Birdseye — Birdseye Marble QuarryHeartbeat of the Canyon
Looking east to the red ledges you can see the quarry, originally operated by the Mormon Church and others in the 1880's to the 1940's as the Nebo Rock Works, Thistle Rock Works and Birdseye Marble Quarry.

The stone polishes to a high degree and . . . — Map (db m101133) HM

Utah (Sevier County), Richfield — 125 — Old Lime Kiln
This old lime kiln is the best preserved of seven kilns constructed north of Richfield during the late 1880′s. It was built by John Kyhl for Jens Larsen Jenson, a Swedish immigrant. The lime was used in the construction of homes, churches and . . . — Map (db m74841) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — Birth of Hurricane
1893–1904 This monument is near the spot where a celebration took place on August 6, 1904. After nearly eleven years of arduous work on the canal, water was ready for diversion onto the land. “Five or six wagon loads of . . . — Map (db m1329) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 465 — Harrisburg/ Harrisburg Residents
Harrisburg The town of Harrisburg was founded by Moses Harris in 1859. By 1868, twenty-five families had made their homes in this little valley along Quail Creek, located three miles south of Leeds and twelve miles northeast of St. George. . . . — Map (db m59644) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — Hurricane CanalUtah Historic Site
The construction of the Hurricane Canal is one of Utah's proudest stories of pioneer determination. This canal, built completely by hand, opened the Hurricane Bench to farming and the establishment of the town of Hurricane. In 1893 two local men, . . . — Map (db m59363) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 23-C — Hurricane City
Hurricane had its humble beginning in the year 1906 with the coming of eleven families to establish their homes. These first settlers were the families of T. Maurice Hinton, Ira E. Bradshaw, Anthony Jepson, Thomas Ison, Bernard Hinton, Erastus Lee, . . . — Map (db m1461) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 134 — Southern Exploring Company - 1849Parley P. Pratt — Southern Utah Expedition
The confluence of Ash and LaVerkin Creeks with the Virgin River is important in the history of this region. Footsteps long forgotten have passed through this region. Some have been remembered but most have faded with time. Roaming bands of Indians, . . . — Map (db m59447) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 118 — The Historic Dixie-Long Valley, Utah Pioneer Trail
Segments of the old Indian trails between St. George and Long Valley were used by Mormon pioneers to settle Long Valley in 1864 and for its resettlement in 1871 following Indian conflicts. This trail scaled the Hurricane Fault on the Johnson Twist. . . . — Map (db m74618) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 100A — The Historic Hurricane Canal
When first conceived, the Hurricane Canal seemed like an impossible dream. Beginning at a point seven miles up the Virgin River, water had to travel through flumes, tunnels, and over deep ravines. The canal had to hang on steep, unstable cliffs and . . . — Map (db m1328) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 101B — The Historic Hurricane Canal
When first conceived, the Hurricane Canal seemed like an impossible dream. Beginning at a point seven miles up the Virgin River, water had to travel through flumes, tunnels, and over deep ravines. The canal had to hang on steep, unstable cliffs and . . . — Map (db m74617) HM
Utah (Washington County), Hurricane — 166 — The Town Named After a Buggy Incident
Buggies, such as the one before you, were an important part of early America. As the name implies, Doctors' Buggies were used by physicians but they were also a popular choice for many others as well. Buggies were dearly prized and generally kept in . . . — Map (db m59373) HM
Utah (Washington County), La Verkin — 135 — Southern Exploring Company – 1849Parley P. Pratt — Southern Utah Expedition
The confluence of Ash and LaVerkin Creeks with the Virgin River is important in the history of this region. Footsteps long forgotten have passed through this region. Some have been remembered but most have faded with time. Roaming bands of Indians, . . . — Map (db m59449) HM
Utah (Washington County), New Harmony — 159 — Snowfield Monument"Franciscan Fathers"
October 13, 1776: "We set out southward from the small river and campsite of Nuestra Senora del Pilar ("Our Lady of the Pillar" – Kolob Canyon of Zion Canyon National Park)…" and…"We traveled a league and a half to the south, . . . — Map (db m59468) HM
Utah (Washington County), Saint George — Brigham Young Home
Brigham Young was prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for 30 years. During those three decades he directed the establishment of more than three hundred communities throughout the American West. It was "Brother . . . — Map (db m59229) HM
Utah (Washington County), Saint George — Erastus Snow's Big House
On this site in 1867, Erastus Snow began construction on a four-story, adobe home which later became known as the "Big House." Snow, an LDS apostle, was the presiding Mormon leader during the colonization of St. George. The "Big House" was an . . . — Map (db m59233) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — And the Desert Shall Blossom
Water—the lack of it and too much of it—was the greatest challenge to Dixie’s early Mormon settlers. When the original company of families entered the St. George valley late in 1861, they had little more than two small springs to reply . . . — Map (db m1395) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — Dixie Academy
Across the street west, and 2 blocks south of here, stands the building originally known as the St. George Academy. After the turn of the century Southern Utah citizens realized a great need for higher education in this isolated corner of the state. . . . — Map (db m1392) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — Gardeners’ Club Hall
Built just five years after St. George was settled, the Gardeners’ Club Hall is considered to be the oldest public building standing in the city. This small, unassuming adobe building predates the courthouse, the Tabernacle and the Temple by several . . . — Map (db m1385) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — Pioneer Courthouse
The seat of county government was originally established at Fort Harmony from 1856 until 1859. It was then moved to the city of Washington until 1863 when St. George became the County Seat. By 1866, work had begun on the Washington County . . . — Map (db m1391) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — St. George Social Hall “Opera House”
At a time of colonization, colonizors of the Dixie Cotton Mission were struggling to survive, their leaders planned a higher priority on culture. The Mormon Prophet, Joseph Smith, taught that “man is that he might have joy.” His . . . — Map (db m1393) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — St. George Tabernacle
Less than a year after St. George was settled, residents were directed by Brigham Young to “build a building as soon as possible which would be commodious, substantial and well furnished with a seating capacity of 2,000.” The building, . . . — Map (db m1387) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — St. George Temple
When the Mormon pioneers arrived in Utah, they had left behind 2 temples—one in Kirkland, Ohio, and one in Nauvoo, Illinois. Work began on a temple in Salt Lake City in 1853, but was delayed for various reasons. Desirous of having a temple . . . — Map (db m1386) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — The Woodward School
When the first settlers arrived in St. George late in 1861, school was held in a wagon box, a tent, a willow shack, or whatever shelter could be improvised. By 1864, the first of four ward houses was completed. It was not until nearly the end of the . . . — Map (db m1389) HM
Utah (Washington County), St. George — 130 — Utah Is Rich in Aviation History
The first regularly scheduled overland passenger flight in the USA was made by Western Air Express on May 23, 1926, from Salt Lake City to Los Angeles. This 50-foot concrete arrow was one of four here in the St. George area, placed every 10 miles, . . . — Map (db m59016) HM
Wyoming (Goshen County), Fort Laramie — 49 — Mormon Pioneers at Fort Laramie
Between the years 1847 and 1868, most of the approximate 80,000 Mormon Pioneers passed through Fort Laramie. This was the first stop for the vanguard company after leaving Winter Quarters, (near Omaha) Nebraska. In June, 1847, after following a . . . — Map (db m79776) HM

45 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement