Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Greenville County Historic Preservation Commission Historical Markers

 
Cherokee Boundary (1767) Marker -<br>Front image, Click for more information
By Brian Scott, February 7, 2011
Cherokee Boundary (1767) Marker -
Front
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — 23-30 — Cherokee Boundary (1767)
[Front]: In 1766-67 S.C. & N.C. negotiated with the Cherokee to establish a boundary between Indian land to the west and new settlement to the east. This north-south line ran past this point to N.C. and on to Va. In S.C. it ran north . . . — Map (db m49086) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — 23-45 — Fountain Inn Rosenwald School
[Front]: The Fountain Inn Rosenwald School, also known as the Fountain Inn Colored School, was a complex of several buildings built here from 1928 to 1942. The first school, a frame seven-room elementary school for grades 1-7, was a . . . — Map (db m50524) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fountain Inn — 23-21 — Tullyton
This house was built by T.C. Booling c. 1840 near the old indian boundary. C.B. Stewart minister of nearby Fairview Presbyterian Church lived here 1859-1890. — Map (db m8947) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greer — 23-30 — Cherokee Boundary (1767)
[Front]: In 1766-67 S.C. & N.C. negotiated with the Cherokee to establish a boundary between Indian land to the west and new settlement to the east. This north-south line ran past this point to N.C. and on to Va. In S.C. it ran north . . . — Map (db m8446) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Mauldin — 23-46 — Mauldin
Front This area was settled soon after the Revolution, and a community grew up here on the road from Greenville to Laurens. It was later known as Butlerís Crossroads for Willis W. Butler, who acquired a tract including the intersection of . . . — Map (db m60344) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Pelzer — 23-36 — Lickville Presbyterian Church
[Front]: This church, which takes its name from a nearby salt lick, was founded in 1882. Mrs. Ellen C. Woodside (1838-1906) worked with Rev. C.L. Stewart to organize services on her farm in 1880-81. A commission from the Enoree . . . — Map (db m29455) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Taylors — 23-39 — Tigerville
[Front]: Tigerville got its name from early settlers who settled here shortly after the Revolution. They called bobcats they saw here "tygers," and named the nearby Tyger River, Head of Tyger Baptist Church, later Tyger Baptist Church, . . . — Map (db m18044) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement