Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Laurens County Historical Society Historical Markers

 
Young's School image, Click for more information
By Ronald Miller, August 3, 2008
Young's School
South Carolina (Laurens County), Gray Court — 30-5 — Young’s School
Here at Young’s School in 1915, Dr. Wil Lou Gray (1883–1984) initiated for her native county of Laurens a seven-school program of night education for adults which led to the adoption of a state-wide system and her national recognition as a . . . — Map (db m9951) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Laurens — 30-8 — Lindley's Fort / Jonathan Downs
Lindley's Fort On July 15, 1776, a number of Indians and Tories attacked this frontier fort where area settlers had gathered for protection. Major Jonathan Downs, with a company of men, had arrived the previous evening & helped repulse the . . . — Map (db m12102) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Laurens — 30-7 — Masonic Lodge #19 / Samuel Saxon
Masonic Lodge #19 The first recorded meeting of this organization, known as Palmetto Lodge #19, took place Aug. 7, 1794, at the Samuel Saxon home, which stood nearby. Officers present were: Master, Joseph Downs; Deputy Master, Nathaniel McCoy; . . . — Map (db m12031) HM
South Carolina (Laurens County), Ware Shoals — 30-11 — Martin's Store
[Front]: This store, first known as Daniel’s store or the “Beehive,” was built before the Civil War by James Wright Daniel (1814-1904) and several business partners. In 1878 James Martin (1815-1879) bought the store from the . . . — Map (db m22966) HM

4 markers matched your search criteria.  
  
 
Paid Advertisement