Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Williamsburg County, Three Rivers Historical Society Historical Markers

 
Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House Marker (reverse) image, Click for more information
By Cindy Bullard, January 15, 2010
Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House Marker (reverse)
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-7 — Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House
[Front]: One of the earliest Dissenter congregations in South Carolina north of the Santee River was located about two miles south of here. Its church building had been completed by 1727 when the Rev. Thomas Morritt, Episcopal minister . . . — Map (db m27709) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-9 — Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry
Early Settlers Among the first settlers of Williamsburg County, members of the Witherspoon family sailed from Belfast to Charleston in 1734, arriving about December 1. With a year's provisions, they embarked on an open-boat voyage. Traveling . . . — Map (db m28118) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Hemingway — 45-5 — Ebenezer United Methodist Church
This church is said to be the oldest Methodist congregation in present Williamsburg County. It was established prior to 1822 when Samuel Heaselden, in his will, reserved two acres of land for the congregation; in 1837, his heirs deeded this land . . . — Map (db m27328) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Henry — 45-8 — Benjamin Britton Chandler (1854–1925)
Active in the Red Shirt campaign which resulted in General Wade Hamptonís election as SC governor, 1876, Chandler later served as Supervisor of Williamsburg County. He was twice elected to the SC House and was known as “an honest and manly . . . — Map (db m27900) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Rhems — 45-6 — Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church
Black Mingo – Willtown By 1760, Charles Woodmason had established a store near here, following a 1745 Act of the General Assembly that provided for clearing of the watercourses at the head of Black Mingo Creek. Soon thereafter, schooners . . . — Map (db m17005) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement