Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.
The Spirit of 76, America's Bicentennial Celebration Historical Markers
During the time America was celebrating its Bicentennial (1776-1976), historic markers were erected to commemorate different events or projects. This Marker Series is for those historic markers that have the Bicentennial logo, were inspired by, have reference to it in someway within its context or was placed by a Bicentennial committee, commission etc.
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Baldwin County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m81855) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Clarke County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain’s King George . . . — Map (db m101568) HM
William Bartram, America’s first native born artist-naturalist, passed through Elmore County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. In 1776 the appointed botanist of Britain’s King . . . — Map (db m69431) HM
William Bartram, America's first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Macon County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King George . . . — Map (db m99676) HM
William Bartram, American's first native born artist - naturalist, passed through Russell County during the Revolutionary era, making the first scientific notations of its flora, fauna and inhabitants. As the appointed botanist of Britain's King . . . — Map (db m48433) HM
Joseph Taylor Robinson Home - 204 NE Front St. Practiced law in Lonoke - 1893-1912 U.S. Congressman - 1902-1913. Governor of Arkansas - January - March 1913. U.S. Senator - 1913-1937. Lonoke was named for lone oak tree, surveyor's landmark for . . . — Map (db m65710) HM
Following the discovery of extensive bauxite ore deposits in 1887, an ore drying plant was located here by The Pittsburg Reduction Co. In 1903 a small village was laid out to house the workers. This village which included a bank, hospital, theater . . . — Map (db m96634) HM
In honor of two Revolutionary War soldiers who chose Saline County, Arkansas as their home. After enlisting in the spring of 1777, they served through the winter at Valley Forge and to the end of the war in 1783.
ASHER BAGLEY, Private . . . — Map (db m96595) WM
Built in 1893, the office of Dr. Dewell Gann, Sr. is the only known bauxite building in existence. The building was constructed by patients who could not afford to pay for services he had rendered them. The soft stone was dug from a farm nearby, . . . — Map (db m96597) HM
After the fall of Little Rock to Union forces in September, 1863, the area immediately south of the Arkansas River became a No Man’s Land. On the morning of October 23, 1864, a Federal detachment of the 7th Army Corps, returning to Little Rock after . . . — Map (db m96635) HM
James Johnston, a forty-niner from Ohio, established a homestead on this wild, romantic vista of sloping fields and ocean shore in 1853. For his Californiano bride, Petra Maria de Jara, he built this typical eastern saltbox, whose origins from the . . . — Map (db m25518) HM
Construction of this historic church was started in 1887. Completion was delayed until 1889 due to a yellow fever epidemic which claimed the lives of the pastor and many members of the congregation. Used to house the first Christian congregation . . . — Map (db m43102) HM
Birthplace of two Indiana Governors. Albert Gallatin Porter, eighteenth Governor (1881-1885), born here April 20, 1824, died Indianapolis, May 3, 1897; and Winfield Taylor Durbin, twenty-fourth Governor (1901-1905), born here May 4, 1847, died . . . — Map (db m66907) HM
Lessel Long was a Huntington County pioneer, a Union soldier in the Civil War, and a prisoner of war at Andersonville prison (Camp Sumter) where 13,000 prisoners died. After the war he became a manufacturer and merchant in Andrews. In 1886 he . . . — Map (db m76418) HM
In 1840 the Miami Indians agreed to move from the upper Wabash area to eastern Kansas. Francis La Fontaine was his tribe’s last principal chief. After leading his people west in 1846, he died at Lafayette, Indiana, en route to his home. The body was . . . — Map (db m76449) HM
In a landmark decision on April 3, 1866, the United States Supreme Court overturned the conspiracy against the national government conviction of Huntington attorney Lambdin P. Milligan (1812-1899). This decision rising out of the Civil War, set a . . . — Map (db m71300) HM
John R. Kissinger, who lived in Huntington in his latter years, became the first volunteer to subject himself to the bite of an infected mosquito (1900) in an experiment to identify the cause of "Yellow Jack" (Yellow Fever). This successful . . . — Map (db m45205) HM
This city, township and county were named for Samuel Huntington, signer of the Declaration of Independence and important political figure in the Revolutionary War era. Records indicate the name was given by Elias Murray, Huntington's nephew, when he . . . — Map (db m71299) HM
"Erected as an enduring monument to memorialize Louisiana's sons and daughters who died in World War I. The memorial was funded and dedicated April 30, 1926 by General John R. McQuigg, National Commander of the American Legion" — Map (db m89333) WM
On and near this site since 1718 has centered the military activities of both regular and citizen soldiers of France, Spain, the Confederacy and the United States. On either side were the redoubts forming the “Great . . . — Map (db m24684) HM
Parish seat from 1812-1832. Land office - a clearinghouse for public lands between the Mississippi and the Pearl Rivers 1812-1837. Montpelier Academy 1833-1840. Early post office St. Helena 1814-1859. Connected to Natchez Trace. — Map (db m94882) HM
The Militia of the Attakapa Region of South Central Louisiana served under Spain’s Governor of the colony, Bernardo de Galvez in his campaigns against the British during the War for American Independence. — Map (db m85733) HM
Famed as surgeon in KY. 1806. Settled Attakapas, LA. 1809. Became large landowner, sugar planter in St. Mary, serving many years in LA. Legislature. Town of Brashear, now Morgan City, incorporated 1860. — Map (db m85751) HM
Only soldier from Louisiana to serve under General John J. Pershing's "One Hundred Heroes" in World War I, Company B, 28th Infantry. Received Distinguished Service Cross and the Distinguished Service Medal. — Map (db m86665) HM
On the Red River Oxcart Trail to Traverse des Sioux
1854–First white man to claim land–Bruce Pierce.
1855-56–Then; Christian, John & Andrew Anderson; Christian & Torger Peterson & the Jensens.
1862–The Applebaum home . . . — Map (db m73506) HM
1855 - First settlers were Jacob Harmon, Mr. Haresine, John Sidel, Jacob Gfeller, & Ole Nelson - Most of the early settlers came from Germany.
1856 - Village of Red Stone, near the ferry, was surveyed but never developed.
1856 - Hilo post . . . — Map (db m66070) HM
1826 Licensed U.S. fur buyer with H. H. Sibley.
1834 Owned Little Rock Trading Post on the Minnesota River.
1837 Interpreter for Indian Treaty at Fort Snelling and Washington D.C.
1838-39 Guide for Jean N. Nicollet, U.S. Gov’t . . . — Map (db m70653) HM
Creamery, organized as "Riverside" in 1895 - changed to "Bernadotte" in 1944 - New creamery built 1936 - cost $10,518. It handled whole milk at all times. Patorns delivered cream over 40 years. Co-Op dissolved in 1959. Building sold and used as . . . — Map (db m73900) HM
Organized 4 May 1866 at Magnus Peterson home, Pastor John Pehrson, by Swedish settlers, 21 charter families, 104 families by 1870. Commemorated on native stone, set in 1937.
First worship in homes, in school-house No. 26; first church built . . . — Map (db m79770) HM
First settler in township was Louis Sharro. John Bush and family came in 1854 and kept an Inn for travelers. Township organized in 1858. First post office 1859 - moved to Village 1897. Village platted 1896; Incorporated Feb., 1900. Minneapolis & St. . . . — Map (db m66615) HM
New Sweden Creamery Association was organized Jan. - 1895. 350 cows were pledged for the Creamery.
The creamery was built in 1896.
Jan., 1898, Samuel Haugdahl was hired as butter maker. He received many state and national awards in . . . — Map (db m73922) HM
The name Norseland was originated by community spirited settlers -
1858-Norseland Store was built by John Burke
1896-Patrons built Norseland Co-op Creamery next to the Burke store which had a post office
1922-Emil Swenson became a partner . . . — Map (db m73868) HM
1854-Methodist church organized-disbanded 1900.
1858-Norwegian Lutheran church organized - 1911 present church erected.
1858-Scandian Grove Lutheran church organized. 1888 stone church erected.
1858-Burkes had a general store & post . . . — Map (db m73881) HM
March, 1856 – Traverse des Sioux and St. Peter organized a cemetery Assoc. purchasing 10 acres. Early Missionaries, pioneer, and Civil War Veterans are buried here.
Rev. T. C. Williamson, first Missionary in this area and Rev. Stephen . . . — Map (db m66414) HM
About 150 feet North of this Park was the old boat landing.
Boat transportation from the earliest years of this area until the 1870's was the main source of commercial transportation.
The first steamboat to come up the Minnesota River was . . . — Map (db m65784) HM
First property owner was Wm. B. Dodd. Fourth property owner, Adolph Bornemann, born in Traverse des Sioux 1862. His father, Bernhard, a journalist from Germany came to Traverse des Sioux in 1856; built a hotel & raised sheep. 1869, the Bornemanns . . . — Map (db m68094) HM
This 1933 courthouse, inspired by Independence Hall, contains restored courtroom and office of former Presiding Judge Harry S. Truman. Often remodeled, this building rests upon a foundation laid in 1828. Listed on the National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m34782) HM
Near this site, one of our country’s first ferries was operated from circa 1695 to late 19th century. During Revolutionary times, it was used by Washington and his troops. This area was called “Dunks Ferry” before Beverly, N.J. was . . . — Map (db m35872) HM
Earliest big industry in Alden from the 1850's to the early 1900's. Local and foreign hides tanned for upper leather. Hemlock bark from nearby forests hauled in by horse and wagon, used in the process. The large building spanned Tannery Creek. — Map (db m75544) HM
Founded 1851 as Buffalo Female Academy. First located on Johnson Park, the school moved to present site in 1909. The seminary remains the first and only non-sectarian private high school for girls in western New York. — Map (db m80401) HM
First women's college in western New York. Established 1908 by the Grey nuns. Center building, 1874, originally housed Holy Angels Academy. College led renewal of city's west side by expansion program, 1954-1969. — Map (db m80027) HM
Ellicott Square Building Opened by Ellicott Square Company in 1896 as largest office building in world. Daniel H. Burnham, architect. Steel frame, brick and terra cotta exterior, Italian marble, ornamental iron decorations, and marble mosaic . . . — Map (db m92875) HM
in 1803 Joseph Ellicott with Jabez Warren, East Aurora's pioneer settler, surveyed and laid out Middle Road, also known as Big Tree Road, for the Holland Land Company. It extended a distance of 43 miles from the Genesee River to Lake Erie including . . . — Map (db m74558) HM
Father Baker's Gas Well ——•—— At this site on August 22, 1891 natural gas was found at a depth of 1137 feet. This well and its twin continued to produce sufficient gas for many of the energy needs of Our Lady of Victory . . . — Map (db m93920) HM
Built in 1840 - replaced log cabin erected when property was acquired from Holland Land Company in 1804. The Baker family - prominent Quakers in this area - lived here for five generations. This home served as one last station of Underground Railway . . . — Map (db m80830) HM
The Webster Family were early settlers in this community. Erastus Webster served under Secretary of State Seward in the Cabinet of President Abraham Lincoln. He represented the U.S. Gov't during the transfer of the Confederate emissaries Mason and . . . — Map (db m80546) HM
The present Sardinia Town Hall was the first Baptist Church in the area, built in 1829, dedicated in 1830. It was instrumental in later organization of churches in Arcade, Holland and Chaffee. — Map (db m76271) HM
Louis P.A. Eberhardt Home Kenmore's founder, Louis Phillip Adolph Eberhardt built this home in 1893-94 and occupied it until 1918 when it was acquired by the YWCA. This brownstone home and its twin, built by LPA's brother Fred, cost $150,000 . . . — Map (db m97913) HM
Site of original Middle Ebenezer Memorial Church, built of handmade bricks. Christian Metz held first church service March 1846. When Ebenezer Society moved to Iowa in 1864, property was bought by Fourteen Holy Helpers Church congregation and . . . — Map (db m49032) HM
Rev. Hugh Wallis organized the First Presbyterian Church of Pembroke July 1, 1817. In 1829 Andrew Harroum gave a quarter acre of land for this church building which was completed in 1831 by a congregation of 78 members. The church bell was cast in . . . — Map (db m76058) HM
Son of William and Elizabeth Parker, born in a log cabin overlooking the water-falls, at Indian Falls, N.Y., then part of the Tonawanda Indian Reservation. Volunteered into the army, and became General Grant's Military Secretary. He was instrumental . . . — Map (db m76082) HM
[east side]Quaker Meeting House 1836 cobblestone meeting house of the Hartland Orthodox Friends was in use until 1905 (See reverse side)[west side] Quaker Cemetery The Orthodox Friends Cemetery was used from 1836 until 1905 (See reverse . . . — Map (db m78464) HM
In Honor of
The Men and Women
of the Town of Chester
Who Served Their Country
1917 - In The World War - 1919
Charles Babcock, Jr.; John E. Bailey; George W. Bartow; William D. Bartow; Anthony S. Becker; . . . — Map (db m22545) HM
Dedicated as a Bicentennial Tribute to the men and women of Polk County who have perpetuated two hundred years of freedom by serving in the Armed Forces of the United States during times of war and national emergency. — Map (db m11390) HM
This Tejas Pecan tree, to be called “The Liberty Tree”, was presented to Haskell City - County in commemoration of the American Revolution of Bicentennial by the Texas Forest Service in Jan. 1976. — Map (db m82082) WM
In Honor of the Georgia Battalion
Georgia was the only state in the Union to supply arms from its state arsenal when her sons came to Texas to join the fight for freedom. The Georgia Battalion of 5 companies of volunteers came as a . . . — Map (db m94068) HM WM
(engraving) First Fond du Lac Home
Fanna Pier 1838
Daughter of Nathan and Betsey Kendell, wife of Colwert Pier, died March 1, 1838 aged 30. Being the first white female resident and the first death in the County of Fond du Lac. . . . — Map (db m71325) HM