Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Sutter Creek Gold Mine Trail Historical Markers

A 15 mile tour highlighting the Gold Rush era mines in and near Sutter Creek. Markers are placed from 1/4 to 1/2 mile apart. Please do not trespass on private property.
 
Bunker Hill Mine Marker and Headframe image, Click for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, April 27, 2011
Bunker Hill Mine Marker and Headframe
California (Amador County), Amador City — 15 — Bunker Hill Mine
The mine was first worked as the Rancheria Mine in 1853. Was renamed the South Mayflower in 1893. It was organized in 1899 as the Bunker Hill Consolidated Mine and operated till 1922, producing $5,154,382 in gold. The shaft reached 3440’ on an . . . — Map (db m44619) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 14 — Original Amador Mine
Opened in 1852 from six claims. Renamed Original Amador Consolidated working till 1918. Reopened in 1935 till 1937. Shaft reached 1238’. Total production was $3,500,000. — Map (db m10329) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 12 — South Spring Hill Mine
Founded in 1851 working continuously till 1893. Purchased by Keystone Company in 1920 and connected to it. Closed in 1942. Contained 3 shafts: South Spring Hill 1200’, Tallisman 600’, and Medean at 600’ deep. Produced $1,092,472 from . . . — Map (db m44608) HM
California (Amador County), Amador City — 16 — Treasure Mine
Owned by the Treasure Mining Company of San Francisco. Founded prior to 1867. Sometimes called the Hazard Mine. Shaft reached 3030’ on the incline with winzes. Was connected to the Bunker Hill Mine to the south at the 1600; level. Produced . . . — Map (db m44620) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — 17 — Fremont-Gover Mine
Founded prior to 1867 as the Loyal Lode Mine. The Fremont-Gover Company formed in 1872 and worked the Gover in the 1880’s and ‘90’s. The Fremont shaft was sunk in 1903 including a 40 stamp mill continuing in operation until 1918. Reopened in 1937 . . . — Map (db m8433) HM
California (Amador County), Drytown — New Chicago — Est. 1877
Subdivision for the Grover Mine Appox. 50 mines north to Plymouth Peerless, California, New London — Map (db m44621) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 3 — Kennedy Mine — Argonaut-Muldoon
Viewpoint: 50 yards west, Two of the richest gold mines in Amador County, both reached depths of over one mile. Worked until 1942. Kennedy produced $28.5 million, the Argonaut $ 25 million. Notice headframes west toward Highway 49 and tailing wheels . . . — Map (db m44586) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — Massa (Tunnel) Adit
The Massa Tunnel was dug in the 1850’s on Massa Brothers' land. The tunnel extends 126’ into the east vein of the Mother Lode. Little gold was found. The Kennedy Mine acquired the property in 1898. It and the Argonaut mined the richer west vein . . . — Map (db m44587) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 1 — Moore Mine
Founded and active in the 1880’s. 10 stamp mill and a 640’ shaft. Re-opened 1921 till 1929. 20 stamp mill and a 2,291’ incline shaft. Tailing dam north to Raley’s. Produced $564,624 in gold. Nearby Mines: South Jackson, Fern, Kearsling, . . . — Map (db m44582) HM
California (Amador County), Jackson — 2 — Zeile Mine and Mine House — Mine location to the southeast.
Founded in the 1860’s as the Coney Mine, operated continuously from 1875-1914. Later sold to Kennedy. Incline shaft 1865’ deep. Total production $5 million. Note powder house on road to the east. — Map (db m44585) HM
California (Amador County), Plymouth — 18 — Plymouth Consolidated Mines
Founded in 1852 from several claims and consolidated in 1883. Sold to the Argonaut company in 1925 and closed in 1943. Empire workings reopened 1946-47. Pacific shaft 4450’ deep. Total production $13,500,000. Mines north to Cosumnes River: Aden, . . . — Map (db m44622) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 8 — Emerson Shaft
Eastern Shaft of the Wildman Mine located at the Post Office site. Used as an air chute and hoist shaft to dispose of waste rock later used to pave roads. The mine founded by William T. Wildman, circa 1851 — Map (db m12601) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 11 — Lincoln Mine
Founded in 1851 as Amador #2. Renamed the Union Mine and finally the Lincoln Mine by new owner Leland Stanford. Worked until 1924, producing $2 million. Consolidated with Wildman- Mahoney Mines. Foundations and dump remain. — Map (db m44607) HM
California (Amador County), Sutter Creek — 7 — Old Eureka Mine
Founded in early 1850’s by Alvinza Hayward, owner of the Badger and Wolverine Mines. Earned $65,000 a month, reaching a depth of 2,250 in late 1800’s. Shaft sunk to 3,500 feet in 1916. In 1924 was purchased by Central Eureka Company. Closed in 1942 . . . — Map (db m44606) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement