Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects Historical Markers

Markers related to public works built through or associated with the Works Progress Administration, or WPA, the Great Depression-era U.S. Federal government agency which provided jobs for millions of Americans.210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 10
 
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt Marker image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., September 22, 2011
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt Marker
New Brunswick (Charlotte County), Welshpool — President Franklin Delano Roosevelt1933 - 1945
The Great Depression 1929-1941 The depression was world-wide. In the U.S., the banking system collapsed and 12.8 million people were unemployed. Hardest hit were youth, minorities, the elderly, and workers in the consumer durables industries. . . . — Map (db m54783) HM
Alabama (Blount County), Locust Fork — None — History of Locust Fork
While traveling south with his troops, General Andrew Jackson camped at the fork of the river in 1813. General Jackson carved his name in a locust tree naming this area Locust Fork. In 1817, the Hanby family came from Virginia and settled in this . . . — Map (db m50125) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Gadsden Amphitheater
Through the efforts of local citizens, Benny Dean and Floyd Beddingfield, the City of Gadsden obtained this facility from American Legion Post Number 5 in 1985. Built in 1935, the amphitheater seats 1600 persons. Designed by local architect, Paul W. . . . — Map (db m83736) HM
Alabama (Etowah County), Gadsden — Gadsden Municipal Amphitheatre(Legion Park Bowl)
Built of local sandstone in 1935 on land obtained from the American Legion Post No. 5 this municipal amphitheatre seating about 1600 was constructed for staging theatrical and sporting events. Gadsden architect Paul W. Hofferbert designed the . . . — Map (db m39140) HM
Alabama (Jefferson County), Birmingham — Lane Park
In 1822 William Pullen, Revolutionary War veteran, acquired this land from the Federal Government for farming. In 1889 his heirs sold the land to the City of Birmingham for use as the New Southside Cemetery which operated from 1889 to 1909 with . . . — Map (db m27096) HM
Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams
(Front) Built 1936-37 Following a fire in 1932 that destroyed a 19th century City Hall, architect Frank Lockwood designed a replacement for the same site. With the Depression affecting all construction projects during the period, the . . . — Map (db m36571) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Beauty and HopeRestoring the Vision...Preserving The Legacy
"This section lying between Sixth Avenue and Eight Avenue will provide the central beautification theme as it will evolve into a beautiful elevated rose garden with 2,000 selected roses planted at vantage points... the color ensemble, when complete . . . — Map (db m86480) HM
Alabama (Morgan County), Decatur — Carolyn Cortner SmithFemale Architect Pioneer / Designed Delano Park Structures
(Front): Born in 1894 in Normandy, Tennessee, Carolyn Cortner was raised in the Courtland area of Lawrence County, Alabama. She attended Ward-Belmont College in Tennessee. She married Wilburn Smith in 1912. She did not attend formal . . . — Map (db m27814) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Montevallo High School
Known as the Alabama College Laboratory School, Montevallo High School was housed in Reynolds’ Hall on the University of Montevallo campus from 1922 until January 1930 when the central portion of this building was completed. The original structure . . . — Map (db m37428) HM
Alabama (Shelby County), Montevallo — Welcome To Historic Montevallo
Home of the University of Montevallo, American Village and the Alabama Veterans Cemetery, Montevallo is located in the geographical center of Alabama at 33° 6’ 18” N 86° 51’ 46” W. In 1814, Jesse Wilson laid claim to “Wilson’s . . . — Map (db m37178) HM
Arizona (Apache County), Springerville — 18 — White Mountain Hospital
Built during the great depression using native stone & W.P.A. labor, this twenty-bed facility finally opened in 1939 when a doctor agreed to come to Round Valley to finish, lease & run the hospital for 10 years. — Map (db m36649) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Bisbee — The Warren Ball Park
Originally constructed of wood in 1908, the Warren Ball Park is the oldest in the state of Arizona and stands as testimony to Bisbee's rich heritage. The Warren Company, a subsidiary of the Calumet & Arizona and Pittsburgh & Superior Mining . . . — Map (db m48573) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Naco — Bisbee Golf Club
* USA * Work Program WPA Bisbee Golf Club Club House Erected A.D. 1936 In Cooperation With The City of Bisbee O.P. No. 65-2-81 — Map (db m48576) HM
Arizona (Cochise County), Willcox — The Willcox Women's Community Center
Was constructed by P. Howard Pregenzer and crew In Memory of P. Howard Pregenzer 1894-1980 Resident of Willcox, Arizona 1927-1980 Construction began in 1934 and completed in 1936 Construction sponsored by the City of Willcox, . . . — Map (db m28415) HM
Arizona (Maricopa County), Phoenix — Hunt Bass Hatchery
* USA * Work Program WPA Hunt Bass Hatchery Erected A.D. 1936 Sponsored By Arizona State Game Department O.P. No. 65-2-544 — Map (db m34557) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — City Park and Ballfield
Since 1908, the area of Prescott now known as Ken Lindley Field has been used as a public park and ballfield. The land was deeded to the City of Prescott by Charles T. and Ada M. Joslin in 1922. As Mrs. Joslin requested, the City later donated part . . . — Map (db m21161) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Grace M. Sparkes1893 – 1963
There was a time when progress in Yavapai County was spelled S-P-A-R-K-E-S. Grace M. Sparkes came to Prescott, Arizona Territory, at the age of 14 in 1906. By 1911, she was working for the Yavapai County Chamber of Commerce as Secretary, a job she . . . — Map (db m33137) HM
Arizona (Yavapai County), Prescott — Prescott National Guard Armory
Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the . . . — Map (db m33136) HM
Arkansas (Mississippi County), Osceola — WPA Post Office
The Works Progress Administration built this building, dedicated on May 29, 1936, as a new post office. The structure served the citizens of Osceola and the Cotton Highway as a post office until the Postal Service relocated to Johnson Street. . . . — Map (db m36616) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — Berkeley Municipal Rose GardenCity of Berkeley Landmark - Designated in 1995 — Vernon M. Dean, Landscape Architect - 1933-1937
The Rose Garden was a joint creation of the City of Berkeley and the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA), whose public works provided employment during the Depression. Vernon M. Dean, the City's landscape architect, designed the garden in a . . . — Map (db m18618) HM
California (Alameda County), Berkeley — North Branch Berkeley Public LibraryJames W. Plachek, Architect, 1936
City of Berkeley Landmark Designated in 2001 North Branch Berkeley Public Library James W. Plachek, Architect, 1936 North Branch Library is one of Berkeley’s many civic buildings by James Plachek, including the Central Library (1930), . . . — Map (db m15868) HM
California (Kern County), Taft — The FortReplica of Sutter’s Fort — Erected in 1940 A.D.
Constructed on the basic plan of Sutter’s original fort one hundred years after its erection in Sacramento by that distinguished pioneer Captain John Augustus Sutter. The building of this replica of one of the most outstanding landmarks to the early . . . — Map (db m54394) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 17 — Recreation
This mosaic tile mural, one of the largest in the world with more than 466,000 California tiles, was created by dozens of artists as a W.P.A. Federal Arts Project in 1937 to grace the facade of the Municipal Auditorium. It was saved from demolition . . . — Map (db m72453) HM
California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — US Post Office-Long Beach Main
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m72474) HM
California (Placer County), Auburn — The Historic Cooper Amphitheater
Kiosk Side A: Creating Jobs and Building Community It started as an ”unsightly maze and tangle of briars, brush and junk”… It became ”one of the finest open air amphitheaters in northern . . . — Map (db m52855) HM
California (San Bernardino County), Redlands — 42 — San Bernardino Asistencia
This branch of San Gabriel Mission was constructed about 1830 on the San Bernardino Rancho. During the 1840s, its buildings were used by José del Carmen Lugo as part of his rancho grant. Later, after its sale to the Mormons, it was occupied by . . . — Map (db m51012) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 49 — Adobe Chapel of The Immaculate Conception
Originally built as the home of San Diego’s John Brown in 1850, the house was converted to a church by Don Jose Aguirre in 1858. Father Antonio D. Ubach , formally a missionary among the Indians, was parish priest here from 1866 to 1907. It is said . . . — Map (db m11652) HM
California (San Diego County), San Diego — 7 — Mormon Battalion
No. 7 Dedicated in commemoration the heroic sacrifice and history-making achievements of the Mormon Battalion "whose march over 2000 miles from Council Bluffs, Iowa to San Diego help to win California for the Union and open a . . . — Map (db m51992) HM
California (Santa Clara County), San Jose — Main Post Office
This beautiful building was designed by Ralph Wyckoff to house San José’s Main Post Office. It was built as a W.P.A. project in 1933 and is a prime example of Depression-Era federal construction. The terra cotta work on the building’s exterior is . . . — Map (db m30091) HM
Colorado (Jefferson County), Golden — Transportation
In 1860, Col. Thomas W. Know, a famous traveler and editor of the Western Mountaineer newspaper, believed the route up Clear Creek Canyon was a place he “never expected to see a mule go who had his senses, or a decent regard for his . . . — Map (db m49901) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — Antoine Janis Cabin
Joseph Antoine Janis was born in St. Charles, Missouri, in 1824. He made a claim on the Cache la Poudre River in 1814, intending to return later to build a home. In the summer of 1859, Antoine Janis, his Oglala wife First Elk Woman and their . . . — Map (db m52088) HM
Colorado (Larimer County), Fort Collins — Carnegie Library
The building that today houses the Fort Collins Museum was constructed in 1903, as a public library. Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie provided $12,000 in funds for the construction. Opened to the public on August 24, 1904, the Carnegie Library . . . — Map (db m51350) HM
Colorado (Weld County), Platteville — Fort Vasquez Trading Post1835 — Welcome - Bienvenido - Bonjour
You are standing at the north edge of a historic adobe fort of the fur trade era, founded by Andrew W. Sublette and Pierre Louis Vasquez in 1835 to support trade with the Cheyenne and Arapaho tribes. These men and their fellow trappers were . . . — Map (db m89619) HM
Connecticut (New Haven County), New Haven — Corporal Timothy Francis Ahearn
Corporal Timothy Francis Ahearn D-S-C Company C 102 Us Infantry Twenty Sixth Division 1898 – 1925 He Best Exemplified The Spirit Of The Enlisted Men Of The Yankee Division [ north side ] Near Verdun, France on . . . — Map (db m35724) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) — Bolling Air Force Base
[Panel 1]: Old Bolling Field 1917 - Survey for the site of a military flying field to be used for defense of Washington and for proficiency flying. Captain William "Billy" Mitchell, commander of Army Signal Corps Aeronautics . . . — Map (db m63896) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Judiciary Square — DC Recorder of Deeds Building/WPA Era Murals515 D Street, NW — African American Heritage Trail, Washington, DC
DC’s Art Deco/Art Moderne Recorder of Deeds Building (1941) houses city land records. Many notable African Americans have served as recorders of deeds since President Garfield appointed Frederick Douglass to the post in 1881. These include Branche . . . — Map (db m29657) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — In the Beginning...Uncle Sam Chooses Tampa for Base in 1939
On July 14, 1939, the Tampa Morning Tribune announced the war department's decision to build the "Southeast Air Base" in Tampa. The land selected was a 6000 acre marshy area known as Catfish Point. As part of President Roosevelt's New Deal Program, . . . — Map (db m34118) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — Middleton Senior High School
In 1934 Middleton Senior High School, named for George S. Middleton, opened on 24th and Chelsea Streets in East Tampa as the first high school for African Americans in Hillsborough County. Previously, Booker T. Washington School had accommodated . . . — Map (db m33695) HM
Florida (Hillsborough County), Tampa — The Bayshore Boulevard
In 1907, Alfred Swann and Eugene Holtsinger constructed the original section of seawall and roadway extending from Swann Avenue to Rome Avenue. This initial section, which was called Bayshore Drive, served Suburb Beautiful, the first residential . . . — Map (db m44647) HM
Florida (Monroe County), Islamadora — The Florida Keys Memorial
The Florida Keys Memorial, known locally as the “Hurricane Monument,” was built to honor hundreds of American veterans and local civilians who perished in the “Great Hurricane” on Labor Day, September 2, 1935. Islamadora . . . — Map (db m3251) HM
Florida (Polk County), Haines City — 19 N. Sixth Street
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m51505) HM
Florida (Putnam County), Palatka — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
William Bartram, botanist, artist, naturalist, humanist, explored this area and headquartered near here in 1774. — Map (db m3248) HM
Florida (Sarasota County), Venice — Fred Albee Municipal Airport
[North Side of Marker] The first recorded flight into Venice brought a crate of fresh strawberries for the Hotel Venice. Pioneer pilot Capt. George Haldeman landed his plane on Nassau Street to make his delivery on January 13, 1927, not . . . — Map (db m73678) HM
Georgia (Baldwin County), Milledgeville — Site of Fort Defiance1794
Rendezvous of followers of General Elijah Clarke in the Trans-Oconee Country. — Map (db m36500) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Etowah
Four miles east, in the gorge of the Etowah River, are the picturesque ruins of the once flourishing town of Etowah, developed by Mark Cooper around his iron furnace and rolling mill. The furnace was built in 1844, following one built in 1837 on . . . — Map (db m56315) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Home of Sam P Jones
Sam P. Jones was born October 16, 1847, in Oak Bowery, Alabama; he moved to Cartersville with his parents in 1856. After his admission to the Georgia Bar in 1868 he married Laura McElwain. In 1872 he was licensed as a Methodist Minister. His . . . — Map (db m21695) HM
Georgia (Bartow County), Cassville — Site of CassvilleNamed For Lewis Cass
County seat Cass County 1832-1861. First decision Supreme Court of Georgia, 1846. Name changed to Manassas 1861. Town burned by Sherman 1864 and never rebuilt. — Map (db m12359) HM
Georgia (Brantley County), Hoboken — 84 B-7 — Trail Ridge
This ridge, interrupted only by major streams, extends south from the Altamaha River in Georgia to the Santa Fe River in Florida, a distance of 130 miles. It is an ancient barrier beach formerly many miles off-shore in the sea which covered this . . . — Map (db m12423) HM
Georgia (Burke County), Waynesboro — 25 B-4 — Shell Bluff
Shell Bluff on the Savannah River 15 miles northeast has been famous since Indian days because of its outcrops of fossil shells including those of giant oysters. These lived in the Eocene sea that covered this part of Georgia some 50 million years . . . — Map (db m13134) HM
Georgia (Charlton County), Moniac — 94 A-3 — Ellicott's Mound
Ellicott’s Mound, 5 miles north, at the head of the St. Marys River, was erected February 27, 1800, to mark the boundry between the United States and Spanish Florida, as set fourth in the Treaty of 1795 with Spain. Major Andrew Ellicott noted . . . — Map (db m9186) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Beaulieu Plantation
Granted 1739 to William Stephens Secretary Colony Of Georgia 1737 - 1740 President 1743 - 1751 Here in 1779 under Count D'Estaing the French landed to join the Americans under General Lincoln in the seige Of Savannah . . . — Map (db m9149) HM
Georgia (Clinch County), Homerville — 89 B-12 — Guest Mill Pond
Site of ante-bellum trading post. Dam constructed in 1840 by Duncan Giddens; acquired by Miles J. Guest.1858, and enlarged by him. Water power used for grist mill and gin. Election precinct.1850-1920; Justice of Peace Court held here for area now . . . — Map (db m102638) HM
Georgia (Colquitt County), Moultrie — Colonial Heights
Visionary Louis Friedlander, purchased the “Corbett Farm” in 1936 being 340 acres. Believing that Moultrie would need room to grow, he began planning for its orderly growth, to the South.

In order to begin development, it was . . . — Map (db m41070) HM

Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — 22 K-4 — Federal Wire Road
This highway, created by an act of Congress in 1810, entered the state at Augusta passing through Warrenton, Sparta, Milledgeville, Macon and Knoxville to Coweta Town (Columbus). It was formerly known as the Stage Coach Road. A telegraph line, the . . . — Map (db m17702) HM
Georgia (Crawford County), Knoxville — Joanna Troutman
On this site in 1835 Joanna Troutman gave to a company of Georgia soldiers on their way to fight for the independence of Texas, a “Lone Star” flag, which she had made and which was later adopted as the Texas emblem. — Map (db m28024) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgite / Fullers Earth
Attapulgite - Side 1 There are many types of Fullers Earth clay. Attapulgite is a unique type, found in the USA only in Decatur County, GA and Gadsden County, Fl. It is also found in Spain, Russia , and China. The unique nature of . . . — Map (db m40870) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Attapulgus — Attapulgus High School
Side 1: A male academy was established in Attapulgus in 1836 and a female academy in 1852. A four-room frame building was built on the site after establishment of public education in Georgia in 1872. In 1921 Mariola School joined Attapulgus . . . — Map (db m40742) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-7 — Camp Recovery
On the east side of Flint River, twenty-one miles southwest is the site of Camp Recovery, established during the First Seminole Indian War as a hospital base to which the sick soldiers from Fort Scott were sent to recover. A Federal Monument on the . . . — Map (db m55668) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-6-A — De Soto Trail 1540
In this neighborhood Hernando de Soto and his army discovered the inland waters of the Flint river (“the River of Capachequi”) on Friday, March 5, 1540. Leaving the vicinity of the present Tallahassee, Florida, the Spaniards marched . . . — Map (db m55921) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-12 — El Camino Real (The King’s Highway)
In this vicinity was the Indian trail which, during the period of Spanish occupation, became known as El Camino Real or King’s Highway. This road, connecting St. Augustine and Pensacola, Florida, crossed the Flint River at the trading post of James . . . — Map (db m55920) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 84 J-8 — First Presbyterian Church
The First Presbyterian Church once stood here. It was a handsome building with a lofty ceiling, vestibule and three sided gallery. The lot was one-half acre in size, cost $110 and was bounded by Troup, West and Crawford Streets. The congregation was . . . — Map (db m55493) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — 27 R-6 — Fort Hughes
Four blocks west is the site of Fort Hughes, built in 1817, by the 7th Regiment of the U.S. Infantry under the command of Captain John M. McIntosh. This fort served as a protection for foraging parties and as a trading post and U.S. Arsenal during . . . — Map (db m55507) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The Bainbridge Volunteers
The Bainbridge Volunteers Later The Bainbridge Independents Organized 1859, by Captain Charles G. Campbell, assembled here in March 1861 and entered service under the command of Captain John W. Evans . . . — Map (db m57419) HM
Georgia (Decatur County), Bainbridge — The J.D. Chason Memorial Park / The J.D. Chason Memorial Park History
(Side 1): The J.D. Chason Memorial Park The J.D. Chason Memorial Park stands a permanent honor in memory of the late Doctor J.D. Chason. Members of his immediate family graciously presented it on December 29, 1921 to the city of . . . — Map (db m55894) HM
Georgia (Dodge County), Eastman — GA 87 F-6 — The Blackshear Road
At this point the highway was originally known as the Blackshear Road. It was planned and cut out in 1815 by Major Elijah Blackshear and a company of Georgia Volunteer Militia. This road gained fame as the alternative route used by General David . . . — Map (db m14295) HM
Georgia (Floyd County), Rome — Major Ridge
Principal Chief of the Cherokee Tribe of Indians, moved to this spot about 1794 and built this dwelling. Modernized by later owners. His ferry & trading post made this farm a tribal center. Here was negotiated final treaty for the Cherokee . . . — Map (db m15071) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Atlanta — Headquarters of General Joseph E. Johnston
. . . — Map (db m55625) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Campbellton — Site of the Campbell County Court House
Where, in June 1867 the widow of Captain T.C. Glover called a reunion of the survivors of Company A, 21st Georgia, C.S.A. who agreed to hold annual meetings. — Map (db m21432) HM
Georgia (Fulton County), Palmetto — 29 I-B — Palmetto
Palmetto was named by a member of the Palmetto Guards, a Regiment from South Carolina enroute to the Mexican War. This was in appreciation of the hospitality shown them by the community while encamped here in January, 1847 — Map (db m26267) HM
Georgia (Glynn County), St. Simons Island — Fort Saint Simons
. . . — Map (db m12183) HM
Georgia (Greene County), Union Point — Great Buffalo Lick
This site is described in the treaty signed by the Creek and Cherokee Indians at Augusta, Georgia, in 1773. Here began the survey of the ceded lands. — Map (db m15712) HM
Georgia (Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville — US 29 F-5 — Birthplace of Bill Arp
The beloved Charles Henry Smith, was born here June 15, 1826. He married Mary Hutchins of Lawrenceville in 1849; began his law practice and moved to Rome in 1851. Major, Confederate Army. His Nom de plume, “Bill Arp,” was first used in . . . — Map (db m14085) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 17 C-6 — Savannah-New Inverness Road1736
This highway follows an old colonial road constructed in 1736 as a measure of defense against the Spanish and Spanish Indians by connecting the fighting Scotch Highlanders at New Inverness (now Darien) with Savannah. It was surveyed and cleared by . . . — Map (db m8944) HM
Georgia (Lumpkin County), Dahlonega — 19 B-7 — Lumpkin Court House
This court house, built in 1836, replaced the small log structure used since the establishment of Lumpkin County in 1832. The town was named Dahlonega in October, 1833, for the Cherokee word “Talonega” meaning “golden.” From . . . — Map (db m30859) HM
Georgia (Meriwether County), Woodbury — 18 F-2 — The Cove Gorges of the Flint
Pine Mountain to the south makes a complete loop forming a beautiful basin 4 miles in diameter known as `The Cove.` It is joined on the south by Oak Mountain, another hard quartz ridge. Flint River has avoided an easier course on either side and has . . . — Map (db m9053) HM
Georgia (Monroe County), Forsyth — 41 K-4 — Where Uncle Remus Came of Age
One block east stood the old office of The Monroe Advertiser, where Joel Chandler Harris, creator of “Uncle Remus,” came in 1867, as a boy of nineteen, to work until 1870. Here he advanced from printer’s devil to accomplished . . . — Map (db m25354) HM
Georgia (Muscogee County), Columbus — Tyler Home
Where in March 1866, the Ladies Aid Society organized the first Memorial Association honoring Confederate heroes. “One day” each year is theirs. (Reverse side): Ladies Memorial Association Organized March 12, 1865. . . . — Map (db m42140) HM
Georgia (Newton County), Covington — 12 G-6 — Lucius Q. C. Lamar
Here was located the office in which L.Q.C. Lamar, Statesman and Jurist, practiced law at two intervals from 1847 to 1854, thence moving to Macon and Mississippi. His family located at Covington after his father's death in 1834, and at nearby Oxford . . . — Map (db m7119) HM
Georgia (Paulding County), Dallas — New Hope Battlefield
Dedicated to the Northern and the Southern men who gave their all for cherished principles; undivided Union and States’ Rights; in the battle fought here in May, 1864. — Map (db m20841) HM
Georgia (Peach County), Fort Valley — 49 D-6 — James A. EverettFounder of Fort Valley
Here on the Indian Path that connected two Indian Trails, from Hartford to Fort Hawkins and from Barnard’s Crossing to the Old Creek Agency, James Abbington Everett established, in the 1820’s, the Indian Trading Post around which Fort Valley arose. . . . — Map (db m53096) HM
Georgia (Pickens County), Talking Rock — 112 C-5 — Federal Road Cisca St. Augustine Trail
The road running west of here down Talking Rock Creek to the site of Coosawatee Old Town is a portion of the Old Federal Road opened through the Cherokee Nation, in 1805, by Georgia and Tennessee. It follows the course of a trail shown on a map of . . . — Map (db m51211) HM
Georgia (Pulaski County), Hawkinsville — 27 A-6 — Slosheye Trail
Slosheye Trail was used by the Indians and white traders as an artery of travel as early as 1750 and extended from Hawkinsville on the Ocmulgee River to Drayton on the Flint River. This ancient trail passed through Hawkinsville over the present . . . — Map (db m40328) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — US 1 A11 — De L Aigle Brick Yard
In 1808, Nicholas de L' Aigle, a French refugee, established brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building brick for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right constency in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with . . . — Map (db m38190) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — US1 A 11 — De L Aigle Brick Yards
In 1808, Nicholas de L Aigle, a French refugee established brick yards 1/4 mile south which furnished Augusta with building bricks for 75 years. River clay was "pugged" to the right consisteney in a cylindrical vat by a stone turned with . . . — Map (db m38189) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — Meadow Garden
Residence George Walton 1792 - 1804 Signer of The Declaration of Independence Delegate to Continental Congress Representative & Senator Chief Justice and Twice Governor of Georgia W.P.A. 1936 D.A.R. — Map (db m33201) HM
Georgia (Spalding County), Griffin — 126-1 — John McIntosh Kell
Near this site was the home of Captain John McIntosh Kell, Executive Officer of the Confederate cruisers Alabama and Sumter. After entering the United States Navy at the age of 17, he served in the Mexican War and in 1853 on Perry’s expedition to . . . — Map (db m11704) HM
Georgia (Spalding County), Griffin — John McIntosh Kell
Near this site was the home of Captain John McIntosh Kell, Executive Officer of the Confederate cruisers Alabama and Sumter. After entering the United States Navy at the age of 17, he served in the Mexican War and in 1853 on Perry’s expedition to . . . — Map (db m53584) HM
Georgia (Stephens County), Toccoa — Toccoa City HallCirca 1932
The Toccoa Municipal Building was originally built to serve as a post office in 1932, as a Works Progress Administration project. Designed in the Neo-Classical Style, the building exhibits unique carvings and a 1½ story interior . . . — Map (db m63338) HM
Georgia (Stewart County), Omaha — Battle of Shepherd’s Plantation
On this site was fought the battle of Shepherd's Plantation between Creek Indians and pioneer settlers aided by volunteer soldiers stationed at Forts Ingersol, Jones and McCreary under Major Henry W. Jernigan and Captain Hamilton Garmany. . . . — Map (db m46361) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Crawfordville — Liberty Hall
. . . — Map (db m26237) HM
Georgia (Terrell County), Dawson — Confederate Gun Shop
Confederate Gun Shop Which made Dickson-Nelson rifles 1864 – 1865 — Map (db m26960) HM
Georgia (Union County), Young Harris — US 76 C-2 — Brasstown Bald
The high rounded peak to the south with lookout tower is Brasstown Bald or Mount Enotah, the highest mountain in Georgia 4,748 feet above sea level. Its Indian name, Itseyi, means “place of fresh green” and refers to its grassy instead . . . — Map (db m32613) HM
Georgia (Union County), Young Harris — US 76 C-1 — Trackrock Gap
The road leading south crosses Trackrock Gap, two miles from here. Soapstone boulders in the gap are covered with tracks, symbols, and patterns carved in the rocks by primitive man. The gap was called by the Cherokee Datsu nalasgun'yi, "where there . . . — Map (db m14150) HM
Georgia (Walton County), Social Circle — 11-C-8 — Hightower Trail<------->
This road is a portion of Hightower Trail, old Indian path to Etowah River, which ran from High Shoals of the Appalachee westward to Shallow Ford on the Chattahoochee. It formed a boundary between Cherokee lands to the north and Creek lands to the . . . — Map (db m33434) HM
Georgia (Wilcox County), Abbeville — 11 H-5 — De Soto Trail1540
Hernando de Soto discovered Ocmulgee River at or near Abbeville on April 3, 1540. “Here,” says the chronicler Biedma, “we found a river that had a course not southwardly, like the rest we had passed, but eastward to the sea.” . . . — Map (db m40106) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool
“Water has cut deeply into prairie soil. The clays and gravels of the Middle West are merely a thread on stone floors. In this loam, oak trees grass and corn take root.” Alfred Caldwell, 1943 A peaceful oasis surrounded by . . . — Map (db m47844) HM
Illinois (Cook County), Chicago — Alfred Caldwell Lily Pool
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site is a premier example of the Prairie style of landscape architecture. Alfred Caldwell, a landscape designer, architect, teacher and poet, transformed an old Victorian lily pool in . . . — Map (db m47846) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — Veedersburg " Scout Cabin "
Built 1934 for "Boy Scouts" by W.P.A. - Local Workers Guy Smith - Project Mgr. Logs - Walter Marshall Farm Bricks - Veedersbrg Paving — Map (db m34089) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), North Vernon — 40.1999.1 — Muscatatuck Park
Side one: Opened 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park for its natural beauty and recreation potential. Named Vinegar Mills State Park after stone-cutting mill in park. Renamed Muscatatuck State Park 1922. Stone shelters and stairways, . . . — Map (db m45877) HM
Indiana (Lawrence County), Bedford — 47.2005.1 — Dunn Memorial Hospital
(Side One) Lawrence County Hospital Association was organized July 15, 1903 to build, maintain, and manage a hospital in Bedford. Opened first building 1904. State, district, and local Works Progress Administration officials and city and . . . — Map (db m74128) HM
Indiana (Spencer County), Rockport — A Rocky Beginning
James Lankford settled in the Rockport area in 1808, moving his wife and daughter into a cave under the bluff overlooking the Ohio River. Other settlers moved into the lowland that became downtown Rockport (originally dubbed Hanging Rock). By . . . — Map (db m47615) HM
Indiana (St. Joseph County), Mishawaka — 71.1997.2 — Battell Park
Mishawaka's oldest park, circa 1860s; given to city (1881) by members of Battell family. Features include Civil War soldiers monument (1884); neoclassical copper-domed, brick and limestone bandshell commemorating WWI (1927); exceptional Works . . . — Map (db m61835) HM
Kansas (Brown County), Horton — Horton Civic Center[Brown County Fairgrounds]
. . . — Map (db m63782) HM
Kansas (Dickinson County), Abilene — 5 — Eisenhower Park
Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal and Works Progress Administration was the basis for the construction of Abilene's swimming pool, stadium, rose garden, and other buildings located in this park. This park project under the WPA was one of thirty such . . . — Map (db m49551) HM
Kansas (Douglas County), Lawrence — Lawrence City [Carnegie] Library
Constructed 1903-1904 This Carnegie Library housed the Lawrence Public Library 1904-1972 Designed by George A. Berlinghof in the Beaux Arts style Rear addition was a 1937 Works Progress Administration project Andrew Carnegie . . . — Map (db m54570) HM
Kansas (Harvey County), Newton — Mennonite Settler
The "Mennonite Settler," designed and sculpted by artist Max Nixon (1915-2000), was dedicated by the City of Newton September 10, 1942. Funding came from citizens of Newton, the Junior Chamber of Commerce, and the U.S. Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m53494) HM
Kansas (Marion County), Marion — Marion County Park & Lake
Marion County Park & Lake is the result of two FDR New Deal programs that were born during the 1930s depression. The Civilian Conservation Corps and Works Progress Administration's goals were to put men to work and conserve our natural . . . — Map (db m60994) HM
Kansas (Montgomery County), Caney — Caney High School Stadium
Constructed by The United States Government Works Progress Administration August 1938 – October 1939 First Night Game September 29, 1939 Caney 39 Altoona 0 Stadium Dedication October 27, 1939 Caney 19 Sedan 0 . . . — Map (db m57877) HM
Kansas (Osborne County), Osborne — Osborne / Solomon Valley Highway 24 Heritage Alliance
[Historical excerpts from marker] Osborne, Established 1871 (Side A) Architecture Architectural Gems Galore Osborne has two buildings listed on both the National Register of Historic Places. The Classic-styled Carnegie Research . . . — Map (db m54300) HM
Kansas (Reno County), Hutchinson — Outhouses
Outhouses, sometimes referred to as "backhouses" or "privies", were once a common sight across America. Made from a variety of materials and from various designs, outhouses functioned as restrooms for those who did not have indoor plumbing. Usually . . . — Map (db m40094) HM
Kansas (Republic County), Belleville — The Great Depression & The WPABelleville — Belleville Main Street Walking Tour

After the stock market crash of 1929, millions of Americans lost their jobs and those still working saw their wages reduced. Drought and dust storms in the Great Plains left many farm families in despair. Congress quickly drafted new . . . — Map (db m79902) HM

Maine (Knox County), Rockland — Rockland Harbor TrailSnow Marine Park to Rockland Breakwater Light
[Historical Excerpt Transcribed] General Information The Rockland Harbor Trail is easy to follow. Allow you and your imagination enjoy the Harbor sights along the way. The trail is approximately 5.5. mile[s] from beginning to end, . . . — Map (db m52340) HM
Maine (Waldo County), Belfast — 8 — City Park — The Museum in the Streets
The Belfast Ladies Improvement Society lobbied the city council in April of 1904 to establish a seaside park for the benefit of the public. The purchase price of the 15 acre lot was $3,000 and, once secured, prominent Boston landscape architect . . . — Map (db m59392) HM
Michigan (Berrien County), Niles — L0475 — The Chapin House / Henry Austin Chapin
The Chapin House. This Queen Anne style house, completed in 1884, was the Henry A. Chapin family home until 1902. In 1932, when the City of Niles bought the property at auction for $300, the Chapin children stipulated that it be used only for . . . — Map (db m1706) HM
Michigan (Mecosta County), Paris — 506 — Paris Fish Hatchery
Opening in 1881, the Paris Fish Hatchery was the state's second fish-rearing agency. This area was selected because of its abundant sources of water and excellent railroad connections. The Paris Fish Hatchery was a major supplier of salmon and brown . . . — Map (db m55404) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Faribault House
In front of you stands the Faribault House, built by long-time fur trader Jean-Baptiste in 1839. Faribault was originally from the Montreal area, and had been associated with the British and American fur traders since the late 1790s. He built this . . . — Map (db m37618) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Mendota / Sibley House Association
Mendota This wide valley intersection between the two rivers known today as the Minnesota and Mississippi has been a meeting place for people for thousands of years. The Dakota people lived on these prairielands by the 1700s. . . . — Map (db m38269) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota Heights — Mendota Work Camp No. 1
The "New Deal" During the Great Depression of the early 1930's, more than 25 percent of the nations' workforce was unemployed. One of President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs was the Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m40481) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), New London — Federal Fish Hatchery
1938    A thorough study of a hundred acre location was carried out by the U.S. Commission of Surveys. Dam and mill site were purchased for $14,000. Land for fish ponds extended a mile downstream. Citizens contributed $1,300, and some easements . . . — Map (db m79642) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — The WPA Builds a Park in the Rustic Style
Historic Treasures During the Great Depression, President Franklin D. Roosevelt initiated federal programs aimed at putting people back to work. One of these programs was the Works Progress Administration (WPA), which focused on building . . . — Map (db m78379) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — WPA Water Tower & Shelter Building
Holding Up The H2O The water tower was completed in 1939 by Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers. It stands three stories high. Water towers use gravity to create pressure that moves water through supply pipes. Each foot of . . . — Map (db m78380) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Officers' Quarters—C
This building was identical to Officers' Quarters B and was one of several Fort Ridgely structures excavated by G. Hubert Smith in the mid-1930s. Assisted by unemployed World War I veterans from the Works Progress Administration, Smith not only . . . — Map (db m71625) HM
Montana (Yellowstone County), Billings — Along the Zimmerman Trail
Zimmerman Trail - The History by Artist John Potter. The original Zimmerman Trail was built during the summers of 1890 and 1891 by the brothers Joseph and Frank Zimmerman, born in Fellering, (Alsace-Lorraine) Germany. Joseph immigrated to the . . . — Map (db m29086) HM
Nebraska (Antelope County), Orchard — 296 — The Prairie States Forestry Project
The Prairie States Forestry Project was initiated by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1935 to combat the severe wind-caused soil erosion of the Dust Bowl days. From 1935 through 1942, the U.S. Forest Service, working with the Works Progress . . . — Map (db m9633) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — Boot Hill Kiosk
[The Boot Hill Kiosk contains 5 panels each dealing with an aspect of the history of Boot Hill.] [Panel 1] Boot Hill Chronicles 1803 – The United States buys land from France known as the Louisiana Purchase including the . . . — Map (db m51394) HM
Nebraska (Keith County), Ogallala — 3 — End of the Texas Trail1875-1885
An etching of Ogallala appeared in an 1878 issue of American Agriculturalist magazine, depicting the town as the terminus of Texas cattle drives. It shows cattle being driven up the trail, across the South Platte River, and into Union Pacific cattle . . . — Map (db m50784) HM
Nebraska (Thayer County), Chester — Municipal Auditorium

The Chester Municipal Auditorium was a 1938 WPA project intended for social and recreational uses. It was built at a cost of $29,340 with much of the labor done by hand. — Map (db m79893) HM

Nevada (Clark County), Mesquite — 9 — School and Gymnasium Block
Public Square, Circa 1894 • Tent Chapel and School, circa 1899. When Mormon settlers came to Mesquite Flats in 1894, they designed the southeast corner of this block as the Public Square. It was a place where the community gathered for many . . . — Map (db m1412) HM
New Jersey (Hudson County), Jersey City — The New Ferry Building – Ellis IslandSave America’s Treasures — Statue of Liberty Nat’l Mon & Ellis Island
Restoration of the New Ferry Building on Ellis Island is being supported in part by a Federal Save America’s Treasures award administered by the National Park Service, Department of the Interior. New Ferry Building In 1999, the Statue of . . . — Map (db m49291) HM
New Jersey (Hunterdon County), Sunnyside — Echo Hill
Established as a summer camp in 1936 by Robert and Hermia Lechner. Site developed through federal government's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) programs. — Map (db m16822) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — A Natural Magnet for Native Americans
Cast your gaze downstream and try to imagine a landscape unaltered by European settlement and the Industrial Age. It is difficult today to appreciate the abundance of natural resources that once surrounded the mouth of Crosswicks Creek even as . . . — Map (db m4379) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — William Trent House
This house was built in 1719 by William Trent for whom Trenton was named Given to the City of Trenton in 1929 by Edward Ansley Stokes Restored 1934-1936 by the Civil Works Administration the Emergency Relief Administration and . . . — Map (db m4153) HM
New Mexico (Rio Arriba County), Santa Clara Pueblo — Pablita Velarde, Tse Tsan, Golden Dawn(1918-2006) — Santa Clara Pueblo
Pablita Velarde was an internationally acclaimed artist whose paintings largely depicted Pueblo life. She was commissioned by the WPA art's program to paint murals at Bandelier National Monument. Selected as one of New Mexico's "Living Treasures", . . . — Map (db m45663) HM
New York (Erie County), Amherst — A Dam on Tonawanda CreekThe Canalway Trail: Amherst
A Dam on Tonawanda Creek Tonawanda Creek was the only section of the original Erie Canal that was not man-made. The problem was that the creek level ran 4-½ feet too low. The alleviate this, a wooden dam was constructed in 1823 just west . . . — Map (db m98569) HM
New York (Erie County), Orchard Park — Erie CountyWestern New York Southtowns Scenic Byway — Chestnut Ridge Park
Park and Area History. Chestnut Ridge Park is one of the original Erie County Parks, beginning its development back in the early 20th Century. Much of the park construction was handled through the WPA (Works Progress Administration) work force . . . — Map (db m82396) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Colonels’ RowGovernors Island
Once known as Brick Row or Regimental Row and now as Colonels’ Row, the group of eight brick houses in front of you was built by the Army between 1893 and 1917. Although all were built to standard Army plans, slight variations over the years have . . . — Map (db m47094) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Pershing HallGovernors Island
Constructed in 1934, Pershing Hall functioned continually as an Army and Coast Guard headquarters building until 1996. It was named in honor of John E. Pershing, General of the Armies and First Commander of the First Army in 1918. Pershing led all . . . — Map (db m47195) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The South BatteryGovernors Island
The South Battery, or Half-Moon Battery, was erected prior to the War of 1812, in concert with the construction of Castle Williams. A battery is a fortification equipped with artillery. This arrow-shaped fortification was built into the hillside . . . — Map (db m47104) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House / National Museum of the American IndianExploring Downtown
Before the income tax was invented, the duty levied on imported goods financed almost the entire cost of America’s federal government – and as much as 80 per cent of that duty came through the Port of New York, making the New York Custom House . . . — Map (db m20278) HM
New York (Otsego County), Cooperstown — Doubleday Field"Birthplace of Baseball"
Doubleday Field "Birthplace of Baseball" Reconstructed by Works Progress Administration and Village of Cooperstown 1938 - 1939 — Map (db m43672) HM
North Carolina (Transylvania County), Brevard — College Stone Wall and Gate
Erected by WPA in 1936-7 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By The United States Department of the Interior 1994 — Map (db m12482) HM
Ohio (Clermont County), Point Pleasant — U.S. Grant Historic District
U.S. Grant and U.S. Grant Comme[mo]rative Sites Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places 6 August 1998. The historic district includes: President U.S. Grant Birthplace-1820-1821 Grant Birthplace Memorial . . . — Map (db m44918) HM
Ohio (Cuyahoga County), Fairview Park — 24-18 — Bain Park Cabin
Envisioned by Fairview Village Mayor, David R. Bain, this community center was originally completed in 1937 as a project of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a Depression-era work relief program initiated by the Federal Government in 1935. A . . . — Map (db m11549) HM
Ohio (Logan County), West Liberty — West Liberty Water WorksWater Softening Plant — a WPA project
Water Softening Plant Erected 1941 West Liberty Ohio - - - - Milton W. Stout - Mayor Donald McAlexander - Clerk Board of Trustees of - Public Affairs Wm. Scarbourogh - President Joseph W. Craig Clyde L. Lynn . . . . . . . — Map (db m76861) HM
Ohio (Mahoning County), Canfield — 23-50 — Canfield WPA Memorial Building
(side A) The Canfield WPA Memorial Building was constructed by the Works Progress Administration, a federal government program instituted by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as an effort to aid the United States in its recovery from the . . . — Map (db m41229) HM
Ohio (Putnam County), Columbus Grove — 1-69 — Columbus Grove Municipal Pool
The construction of Putnam County's first public swimming pool helped Columbus Grove weather the Great Depression of the 1930s. President Franklin D. Roosevelt's Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Village of Columbus Grove planned the pool . . . — Map (db m28616) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 36-77 — Glendale Steps
Built over a two-year period, from 1936-1937, by the Federal Works Progress Administration, the Glendale Steps survive as a monument to the work of stone craftsmen during the Great Depression. Spanning a 200-foot slope, the purpose of the Glendale . . . — Map (db m43554) HM
Ohio (Summit County), Akron — 28-77 — The Soap Box Derby
An annual summer tradition for American youth since the 1930s, the All-American Soap Box Derby was the concept of journalist Myron E. ("Scottie") Scott, who covered an impromptu homebuilt gravity-car race in Dayton in 1933. Scott conceived and . . . — Map (db m43477) HM
Oklahoma (Beckham County), Sayre — Delhi
In 1888 Thomas and Millie Price were one of the first families to settle in this portion of old Greer Co, now Beckham Co. Price built a cotton gin ½ mi. east of Delhi in 1903. The one-roomed Delhi Academy was established in 1921. The Academy . . . — Map (db m54903) HM
Pennsylvania (Adams County), Littlestown — Littlestown20th Century
The turn of the century brought the continuation of growth and change to Littlestown. The photos depict businesses and properties which may be familiar to many despite some changes in appearance. The Littlestown to Hanover trolley line, installed . . . — Map (db m10859) HM
Pennsylvania (Bradford County), Milan — Stone Wall Hill
A portion of the nearby stone wall was laid by the Works Progress Administration in 1938-39. Begun during the Great Depression as the Civil Works Administration, the WPA was a nationwide unemployment relief program that provided much needed work and . . . — Map (db m90231) HM
Pennsylvania (Northampton County), Bethlehem — Oil Mill1765
“Notice is hereby given to the Public, that the new oil Mill at Bethlehem for rubbing Hemp will be a going before Christmas. But the new Oil Mill will not be finished till the Latter end of Januario or in Febr. next year 1766...” Oil . . . — Map (db m27080) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Ten Box Shelter1940
A telephone line used by park guards once ran along Forbidden Drive. The line had ten locked phone boxes, the tenth one here. The line is gone, but the name “Ten Box” lives on. Built in 1940 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), . . . — Map (db m69098) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Donalds — The Donalds Grange No. 497Patrons of Husbandry and Literacy
The Donalds Grange No. 497 is significant for both its architecture and its contribution to the social development of the community and Abbeville County. For these reasons, Donalds Grange No. 497, Patrons of Husbandry, was entered into the . . . — Map (db m12112) HM
South Carolina (Abbeville County), Due West — Abbeville CountyRich in History and Natural Resources
Named after the city in France, Abbeville County has a rich historical and cultural heritage. The town of Abbeville, the county seat, is known for its quaint tree-lined square with bricked streets; the famous 1908 historic Opera House and its . . . — Map (db m14843) HM
South Carolina (Anderson County), Williamston — Williamston Municipal Center
This site and the one directly in front, Mineral Spring Park, which was donated by West Allen Williams in 1842, formed the nucleus for the new Town of Mineral Springs. In 1852, the town received its charter and the name was changed to Williamston . . . — Map (db m19733) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Walterboro — 15-18 — Colleton County Courthouse
(Front Text): The original section of this courthouse, completed in 1882 after the county seat moved to Walterboro from Jacksonborough, was built by contractor William Thompson. The front portico is attributed to Robert Mills, who completed . . . — Map (db m7063) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Greenville ArboretumReedy River Falls Historic Park
The Greenville Garden Club won the $500 second place price in Better Homes and Gardens' "Most Beautiful America" contest in 1932 for their landscaping of Rock Quarry Park. Members used the money to develop South Carolina's first arboretum . . . — Map (db m17562) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Greenville — Parker High School AuditoriumGreenville County Historic Site
Built in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration, it was a part of the largest WPA school project in the state of South Carolina. The auditorium was built at a cost of $50,000 and named for Thomas F. Parker, local mill executive. The . . . — Map (db m30316) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe School Enterprise Market Program at "The Barn"
Established in 1987 through the cooperative efforts of John de la Howe School and Clemson University with support from Governor Carroll A. Campbell, Jr., and the South Carolina General Assembly to provide free enterprise experiences in a . . . — Map (db m20907) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick County / MACK
McCormick County: Gem of the Freshwater Coast McCormick County was named or Cyrus McCormick, a 19th century agricultural equipment inventor, who purchased Dorn's Gold Mine (Town of McCormick) after the Civil War. While it is one of the last . . . — Map (db m11398) HM
South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Walhalla State Fish HatcheryThe CCC and Resource Conservation
The historic buildings below are products of the great Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The WPA, the CCC, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's other New deal programs provided jobs to . . . — Map (db m14217) HM
South Carolina (Pickens County), Clemson — Outdoor Theater (Amphitheater)
Seating Presented to Clemson A&M College by Class 1940 in Cooperation with Works Projects Administration ---------- Class Officers J.M. Stallworth, President A.D. Graham, Vice President A.C. Commander, Secretary E. . . . — Map (db m20570) HM
South Carolina (York County), Hickory Grove — 46-44 — Hickory Grove Schools
(Front) Hickory Grove School, a two ~ story brick building constructed in 1916 on Peachtree St., was built for grades 1 ~ 11. In 1928 Hickory Grove High School, a one ~ story brick building, was constructed at the corner of Wylie Ave. and . . . — Map (db m52110) HM
South Dakota (Day County), Andover — Amsden Dam
Amsden Dam built by Brown and Day Counties Works Progress Administration W.P.A. Project Number 455 Nineteen Thirty Six — Map (db m101723) HM
South Dakota (Marshall County), Lake City — Fort Sisseton
Rebuilt by State of South Dakota and Works Progress Administration WPA Project Number 3384 Nineteen Thirty Nine Centennial Time Capsule In Cement Block, beneath this Marker Placed July 35, 1984 - To be opened at Bicentennial . . . — Map (db m91620) HM
Tennessee (Davidson County), Nashville — 123 — Watkins Park
Land once known as Watkins Grove was given to the city in 1870 by brick maker and contractor Samuel Watkins. It served as a site for political gatherings, school commencements and concerts. This became Nashville's first public park in 1901. Park . . . — Map (db m4515) HM
Tennessee (Shelby County), Collierville — Collierville High School
This land, which was actually in Mississippi until 1838, originally belonged to the Chickasaws. This area has served as a central hub for education in Collierville since 1873, when Bellevue Female College constructed a two story wooden building . . . — Map (db m76812) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bristol — 1A 131 — The Bristol Municipal StadiumThe Stone Castle
The Bristol Municipal Stadium was built with funds provided by the Works Progress Administration between 1934 and 1937. The stone came from nearby Beaver Creek. A dedication ceremony was held on October 8, 1936, before the Tennessee High and Science . . . — Map (db m45941) HM
Texas (Angelina County), Burke — 11655 — Burke School
The community of Burke was established along the Houston, East and West Texas Railroad in 1882. S.J. and Nancy Arrington conveyed one acre of land adjoining the town on which to establish a public school. The first building, a one-room structure, . . . — Map (db m37848) HM
Texas (Bell County), Holland — 6493 — The Woman's Study Club of Holland
On January 14, 1914, a small group of local women met to organize a study club for the cultural advancement of its members. In addition to its primary focus, the club soon adopted a series of civic projects, including many that offered financial . . . — Map (db m89893) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Jacksonville — 6965 — Love's Lookout
On this nine mile long ridge there are two historic lookout points which command a view of 30 to 35 miles. Between this site, with an elevation of 713 ft., and Point Lookout (1/4 mi. NW), lies a narrow valley. An Indian trail and later a pioneer . . . — Map (db m31698) HM
Texas (Cherokee County), Rusk — 6626 — Cherokee County Courthouse
This courthouse, the fourth to serve the citizens of Cherokee County, was built in 1940-41 with the assistance of the Federal Works Progress Administration. Designed by the architectural firm of Gill & Bennett, the modern structure is built of . . . — Map (db m40618) HM
Texas (El Paso County), Socorro — Rio Vista Farm
English: El Paso County's second poor farm, known as the El Paso Poor Farm, was established here in 1915. John O'Shea, a wealthy farmer and businessman whose farm was nearby, assumed operation of the farm. His wife, Agnes O'Shea, was in . . . — Map (db m37987) HM
Texas (Gray County), Pampa — 36 — 1934 Pampa Post Office Building
A post office was established here in 1892, and in 1902 the town of Pampa was formally platted. Following the discovery of oil in the area in 1926, Pampa experienced a population boom which created a need for a larger post office. Built in 1933-34 . . . — Map (db m55847) HM
Texas (Jones County), Anson — 16003 — Cowboys' Christmas Ball
In 1885, M.G. Rhodes hosted a wedding party and dance at his Star Hotel in Anson. One guest was Larry Chittenden, a salesman and writer visiting his uncle in Jones County. He was so inspired by the dance held that night for the cowboys and ladies . . . — Map (db m78893) HM
Texas (Presidio County), Marfa — 16579 — Hunter Gymnasium
In 1940, Marfa received a Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant of more than $15,000 to help build a new gymnasium named to honor athletic director Boren Hunter. The modified rectangular plan building features plastered adobe infill walls, a . . . — Map (db m60810) HM
Texas (Tom Green County), San Angelo — 3536 — Municipal Swimming Pool
In September 1936 a devastating flood swept down the South Concho River, inundating much of the city of San Angelo. Among the many properties lost or severely damaged were the city's parks and its public swimming pool. Plans were made to rebuild the . . . — Map (db m38751) HM
Texas (Travis County), Austin — 6446 — Deep Eddy Bathing Beach
Swedish immigrant Charles Johnson built a large home for his family on 39 acres of land in this vicinity in the 1850s. In 1902 two of his children, Mary and Henry, opened Deep Eddy Resort. The Johnsons named the park for a deep hole in the limestone . . . — Map (db m25826) HM
Texas (Tyler County), Woodville — 12432 — Tyler County Courthouse
After the creation of Tyler County in 1846 and the subsequent selection of Woodville as a county seat, this block was set aside for use as the courthouse square and the first courthouse was completed by February 1849. In November 1890, the Tyler . . . — Map (db m46094) HM
Texas (Williamson County), Georgetown — 12307 — San Gabriel Park
The land and springs around this site made it a favored camping site for local Indian tribes for centuries before the Spanish discovered it. Raids, drought and conflict led the Spanish to abandon the area in 1756. The Mexican state of Coahuila and . . . — Map (db m25215) HM
Utah (Garfield County), Bryce — Bryce Airport
Bryce Airport's Vital Role In this remote region, with major hospitals and airfields hundreds of miles away, Bryce Airport provides critical emergency support. Built in 1936 as an emergency landing strip for commercial airlines, the airport . . . — Map (db m74765) HM
Virginia (Chesterfield County), Chesterfield — CCC Camp Site
This is the site of the former camp of two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) companies and a Works Progress Administration (WPA) work force of 300 men who constructed the recreation area along Swift Creek from the spring of 1935 to the summer of . . . — Map (db m28861) HM
Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — N-41 — Middlesex County Courthouse
In 1849, the county seat of Middlesex was moved from Urbanna to Saluda. Engineer John P. Hill completed the present courthouse in 1852. During the Civil War, Federal cavalrymen stationed in Yorktown made several excursions through the county. Court . . . — Map (db m14110) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 23 — Virginia Tech Airport
The airport was founded in 1931 as a college-owned facility. School funds and a grant from the Works Progress Administration in the early 1940s paid for paving a runway and building a hangar. Two training programs offered here made the airport . . . — Map (db m41425) HM
Virginia, Newport News — Homestead by the Main Road
Lee Hall Mansion is the only Italianate antebellum plantation house on the lower Peninsula. It was completed in 1859 and was home to Richard D. Lee, justice of the peace for Warwick County. In 1850 Lee purchased a 452-acre tract of land, which was . . . — Map (db m16547) HM
Virginia, Norfolk — KN 2 — Norfolk Botanical Gardens
These gardens were conceived by City Manager Thomas Thompson during the Great Depression. His idea was executed by city gardener Frederic Heutte; noted landscape architect Charles F. Gillette served as a consultant. In 1938 about 200 black women . . . — Map (db m34949) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Old U.S. Customs House & Post Office
Built of Petersburg granite and constructed between 1856 and 1860, the U.S. Customs House and Post Office was designed by Ammi B. Young, architect of the U.S. Treasury Department building in Washington D.C. The decision to add the third story was . . . — Map (db m17653) HM
Virginia, Petersburg — Petersburg’s Natural Parks
Lee Park Typical of the uniquely American “wilderness” tradition of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, Lee Park was developed with an emphasis on natural scenery and native flora as a symbol of local pride and a . . . — Map (db m57343) HM
Virginia (Prince William County), Manassas — Brigadier General Francis Stebbings Bartow
Born Savannah Georgia, Sept. 16, 1816 Mortally wounded on this spot, July 21, 1861 Commanded 7th, 8th, 9th & 11th Georgia & 1st Kentucky Regiments The first Confederate officer to give his life on the field. — Map (db m593) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Spotsylvania — Spotsylvania County Jail
When the Blockhouse Road Courthouse, located 3 miles southwest of here, burned to the ground in 1937, the new Courthouse was built at this intersection of the Fredericksburg and Brock roads on property conveyed from tavern owner, Lewis Rawlings. . . . — Map (db m3719) HM
Virginia (Westmoreland County), Montross — JT-19 — Armstead Tasker Johnson School
The A.T. Johnson High School was built in 1937 in the Colonial Revival style as the first public high school constructed for African Americans in Westmoreland County. The new school was named for Armstead Tasker Johnson (1857–1944), a black . . . — Map (db m22352) HM
West Virginia (Mineral County), Fort Ashby — Fort Ashby
Erected in 1755 by Lieut. John Bacon under orders from George Washington and garrisoned with twenty-one men. Lieut. Robert Rutherford, with company of Rangers, was defeated here, August, 1756, by the French and Indians. Fort was named for Col. John . . . — Map (db m19340) HM
West Virginia (Mineral County), Fort Ashby — Fort Ashby
Fort Ashby, one in the chain of Indian forts built by George Washington, 1755. sharp fighting here 1756. in 1794, troops under Gen. Daniel Morgan camped here on their way to suppress Whiskey Rebellion. Fort restored by W.P.A., 1939. — Map (db m19341) HM
Wisconsin (Bayfield County), Herbster — 522 — "The Gym"
When the community sought funding for a new gymnasium and town hall, they looked to the Work Progress Administration, a depression-era program, which utilized local materials and labor to create jobs for unemployed workers. Architect Roland C. Buck . . . — Map (db m36553) HM
Wisconsin (Crawford County), Prairie du Chien — 432 — Site of the Second Fort Crawford1829 – 1856
The first Fort Crawford was built in 1816, and stood on the site now occupied by the "Villa Louis." After a decade of Mississippi River flooding, the U. S. Army relocated Fort Crawford to this site, constructing the new fort of locally quarried . . . — Map (db m43532) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), McFarland — All about nets
Nets were the heroes of rough-fish removal. Seine nets made high-volume carp fishing possible. They were used under harsh conditions and needed constant care. To extend net lifespans, Fish Camp crews tried to avoid dragging the heavy seines over . . . — Map (db m48404) HM
Wisconsin (Dane County), McFarland — Working at Fish Camp
A job at Fish Camp in McFarland was not for the lazy or faint of heart. A former crewmember summed up life at Fish Camp as "8-10 gnarly guys with chest waders, suitable clothing, tough skin, hands weathered by days of being wet, cold, and stressed . . . — Map (db m48398) HM
Wisconsin (Eau Claire County), Eau Claire — Carson Park
Carson Park, often referred to as "the island", is in fact a 134 acre peninsula nearly surrounded by Half Moon Lake. The lake is an excellent geological example of an oxbow lake formed when a meander of the Chippewa River was cut off during glacial . . . — Map (db m46627) HM
Wisconsin (Eau Claire County), Eau Claire — Carson Park Baseball Stadium — City of Eau Claire Landmark Commission
Historic Building The Carson Park Baseball Stadium is a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project constructed in 1936-37. The stadium was built at a cost of $60,000. The sandstone used for the stadium was quarried at . . . — Map (db m45571) HM

210 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 10
Paid Advertisement