Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

South Carolina, Charleston County, St. James- Santee Parish Historical Society Historical Markers

 
Old Wappetaw Church Marker, looking north along US 17 image, Click for more information
By Mike Stroud, February 15, 2009
Old Wappetaw Church Marker, looking north along US 17
South Carolina (Charleston County), Awendaw — 10-29 — Old Wappetaw Church
Congregationalists from New England built a church near here around 1700. Troops from both sides camped on the grounds during the American Revolution. Burned by the British in 1782, it was rebuilt in 1786. The building was abandoned . . . — Map (db m16308) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — 10-35 — Archibald Rutledge Birthplace
Side A Archibald Hamilton Rutledge (1883-1973), educator, man of letters, and the first poet laureate of S.C., was born at this site, in a house known to the Rutledge family as "Summer Place." Rutledge, who grew up here and at Hampton . . . — Map (db m39040) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — 10-40 — Hampton Plantation
(Marker Front]: Hampton Plantation, 2 mi. N.W., was established by 1730 and was one of the earliest rice plantations on the Santee River, in an area settled by Huguenots and often called "French Santee." The house, built in the 1730's for . . . — Map (db m54990) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), McClellanville — 10-19 — Thomas Pinckney / St. James, Santee
Thomas Pinckney 1750-1828 Distinguished planter-diplomat Thomas Pinckney owned nearby Fairfield and Eldorado Plantations. A national figure, he was Governor of South Carolina, Minister to England, Envoy Extraordinary to Spain where he . . . — Map (db m16418) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-50 — The Oaks Plantation
The Oaks Plantation was established on the Santee River in 1705 by a grant from the Lords Proprietors to John Sauseau, a French Huguenot settler. It passed through several owners in the prominent Buchanan and Withers families before 1793, when . . . — Map (db m16383) HM

5 markers matched your search criteria.  
 
Paid Advertisement