Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers Historical Markers

455 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 255
 
The Wayne Trace Marker image, Click for more information
By Dale K. Benington, April 6, 2010
The Wayne Trace Marker
Indiana (Adams County), Decatur — 01.1977.1 — The Wayne Trace
General Anthony Wayne and the Legion of the United States passed this way on October 30, 1794, in route from Fort Wayne to Fort Greenville, ending the western campaign against the Indian Confederacy. The Legion spent the previous night camped 2.6 . . . — Map (db m29620) HM
Indiana (Adams County), Geneva — 01.2006.1 — Geneva Downtown Historic District
(Front Side) Adams County formed 1835. Geneva incorporation 1874 included early towns Alexander and Buffalo. During 1890s oil boom, population and businesses grew. Fire destroyed much of town 1895; Geneva Board of Trustees banned wooden . . . — Map (db m63824) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Churubusco — 02.1966.1 — Site of Hardin’s Defeat
Colonel John Hardin, of the Kentucky Militia, with 180 men and Captain John Armstrong, U.S. Army, with 30 men, were routed here on October 19, 1790, by Indians under Miami Chief Little Turtle during General Harmar's Campaign. — Map (db m47459) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1963.1 — Camp Allen 1861-64Civil War Mustering-In Camp
Colonel Hugh B. Reed served as first Commandant. Here the 30th, 44th, 74th, 88th, and 100th Indiana Regiments and the 11th Indiana Battery were organized. — Map (db m65185) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.2000.1 — Fort Miamis
[Marker Front]: French built a palisaded fort on this strategic site in 1722; named Fort Saint Philippe des Miamis. One of three French forts built in what is now Indiana to protect French fur trade from encroaching English. First of five . . . — Map (db m21029) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.1 — Home of Philo T. Farnsworth
Home 1948-1967 of Farnsworth, inventor of television. Farnsworth (1906-1971) was instrumental in perfecting the image formation mechanism which enabled the first effective image transmission in 1927. Farnsworth Radio and Television Corporation in . . . — Map (db m65186) HM
Indiana (Allen County), Fort Wayne — 02.1992.2 — Wabash and Erie Canal Groundbreaking
On February 22, 1832, ground was broken two blocks north for the canal, which would link Lake Erie at Toledo with the Ohio River at Evansville. Jordan Vigus, Canal Commissioner, Charles W. Ewing, Samuel Hanna, Elias Murray participated in the . . . — Map (db m21045) HM
Indiana (Allen County), New Haven — 02.2003.1 — Gronauer Lock No. 2
Wabash and Erie Canal lock was discovered here June 1991 during excavation for highway construction. It was built 1838–1840 by Henry Lotz and named for lock keeper Joseph Gronauer. The rare, well-preserved timber-frame design lock measured 115 . . . — Map (db m2498) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2007.2 — Atterbury Army Air Field
(Front Side) Construction begun summer 1942 under Captain Stratton O. Hammon, who used broad authority over laborers, suppliers, and railroad; base in use February 1943. More than 1,000 workers employed during construction. Base was over . . . — Map (db m63819) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2000.1 — Bartholomew County Courthouse
Side 'One' County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1821. Thirty acres of land were purchased, and John Tipton donated thirty acres, for county seat. State commissioners named county seat Tiptona--after Tipton; local elected commissioners . . . — Map (db m48105) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.1988.1 — Lowell Mills
From 1830 to 1880 the community of Lowell Mills thrived here along Driftwood River. There were two grist mills, a cooperage, a shoemaker's shop, a distillery, a saw mill, a woolen mill, an inn and general store. When the mills closed, the town was . . . — Map (db m63794) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.2007.1 — Orinoco Furniture Company
(Front Side) Incorporated and its factory built here 1890. Reorganized 1891; William H. Lincoln then led the company to great success, stressing quality and artistic merit in fine, high-grade furniture. By 1895, production included . . . — Map (db m63818) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Columbus — 03.1998.2 — Second Baptist Church
Congregation was formed in 1879; reorganization in 1882 by the Reverend John R. Miller and a core of determined members. The present building, formerly a theater, was acquired in 1913. This African-American church, like many others, has served its . . . — Map (db m63815) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Elizabethtown — 03.1999.1 — Madison and Indianapolis Railroad
Mandated by Indiana's 1836 Internal Improvement Act, construction began in Madison 1836. Completed along this site 1843; Elizabethtown platted 1845 as a result of the railroad. Completed to Indianapolis in 1847. Linked Ohio River and interior of . . . — Map (db m63798) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Hartsville — 03.1995.1 — Hartsville College
Original site of coeducational United Brethren school founded 1850 as Hartsville Academy by public act of Indiana General Assembly. Campus moved four blocks south, circa 1865; destroyed by fire, January 1898. Many graduates became distinguished . . . — Map (db m63805) HM
Indiana (Bartholomew County), Hartsville — 03.1992.1 — Private Barton W. Mitchell
Mitchell, Co. F, 27th Indiana Volunteers, is buried in Hartsville Baptist Cemetery. He found Confederate General Lee's "Lost" Special Orders No. 191 near Frederick, MD, September 13, 1862. Union General McClellan then engaged Lee at the Battle . . . — Map (db m63806) HM
Indiana (Benton County), Fowler — 04.1995.1 — Benton County Courthouse
Benton County formed by General Assembly in 1840. Oxford first county seat; Fowler became second, 1874. Designed in Second Empire Style by Gorden P. Randall and built 1874 by Levi L. Leach. Located at geographical center of county on land donated by . . . — Map (db m21487) HM
Indiana (Benton County), Fowler — 04.1966.1 — New Purchase Boundary(Treaty of St. Mary's)
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana, was involved in this transaction. — Map (db m21517) HM
Indiana (Benton County), Oxford — 04.1999.1 — Dan Patch
Side One Standard-bred colt (sire Joe Patchen, dam Zelica) foaled 1896 Oxford, Benton County; raised by Daniel A. Messner, Jr. on this farm. A natural pacer, trained for harness racing, a very popular sport in late 1800's and early 1900's. . . . — Map (db m8546) HM
Indiana (Blackford County), Hartford City — 05.1994.1 — Blackford County Courthouse
Blackford County's second courthouse, featuring a 165 foot high clock tower, was built on foundation stones from nearby Montpelier quarries. At a cost of $129,337.83, this Richardsonian Romanesque structure was constructed 1893-1895. Listed in . . . — Map (db m41465) HM
Indiana (Blackford County), Montpelier — 05.1989.1 — Godfroy Reserve
Reserved by U.S. to Chief Francois Godfroy of the Miami National of Indians by treaty at St. Mary's, Ohio, 6 October 1818, 3,840 acres on Salamonie River at La Petite Prairie, Harrison Township, Blackford County; reserve lands sold 1827, 1836. — Map (db m63825) HM
Indiana (Boone County), Mechanicsburg — 06.1985.1 — Boone County REMC
The Boone County REMC built Indiana's first electric cooperative line to the Clark Woody farm 5 miles west of this site with funds borrowed from the Rural Electrification Administration, July 22, 1935. — Map (db m27673) HM
Indiana (Boone County), Thorntown — 06.1961.1 — Indian CemeteryEel River Tribe of Miamis
Ka-wi-a-ki-un-gi Village "Place of Thorns" (Thorntown) was center of 64, 000 acre Thorntown Indian Reserve. Granted to Eel River Miamis in 1818, ceded to U.S. in 1828. — Map (db m21352) HM
Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — 06.1966.2 — Michigan Road
With proceeds from the sale of 170,580 acres of Indian land granted by the Federal Government, Indiana built its first north-south road. Surveyed 1829, passable by 1834, "completed" in 1837, its cost was $242,000.00. — Map (db m67191) HM
Indiana (Boone County), Zionsville — 06.1962.1 — Patrick H. Sullivan1794 - 1879
Patrick H. Sullivan, 1794-1879, was the first white settler in Boone County, 1823, and built the first log cabin. In 1857, he bought this site and lived here until 1872. He served in the War of 1812. — Map (db m67190) HM
Indiana (Brown County), Belmont — 07.1992.1 — T. C. Steele Home and Studio
Theodore Clement Steele (1847-1926) lived and painted south of here, 1907-1926. Member of Hoosier Group of American impressionists, his landscape paintings captured picturesque panoramas characteristic of area. Property is State Historic Site; . . . — Map (db m48106) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — 08.1966.1 — New Purchase Boundary(Treaty of St. Mary’s)
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Johnathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction. — Map (db m1152) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Delphi — 08.1992.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Constructed 1832-1853, canal was nation's longest, connecting Lake Erie at Toledo with Ohio River at Evansville. Key portion in Carroll County included Deer Creek Lake Dam, constructed 1838-1840 (1 mile west). Various canal structures are still in . . . — Map (db m7540) HM
Indiana (Carroll County), Wheeling — 08.1963.1 — Sycamore Row
This row of sycamores sprouted from freshly cut logs used in the 1830's to corduroy a swampy section of the historic Michigan Road, the first state road in Indiana, running from Madison to Michigan City. — Map (db m42664) HM
Indiana (Cass County), Logansport — 09.1966.1 — Wabash & Erie Canal
Trade and emigration route from Lake Erie to Evansville. Completed through Logansport 1840. Followed Erie Avenue and 5th Street, crossing Eel River by wooden aqueduct. Abandoned about 1876. — Map (db m35409) HM
Indiana (Clark County), Borden — 10.1995.1 — Borden Institute Site
Coeducational school founded 1884 by William W. Borden primarily to serve children of southern Indiana farmers. Low-cost, progressive program included teacher preparation and laboratory-based scientific studies. School closed 1906. Borden also . . . — Map (db m74115) HM
Indiana (Clark County), Henryville — 10.1987.1 — Birthplace and Childhood Home of Col. Harland Sanders
Founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken Erected 1987 by these Local Franchisees: Mr. & Mrs. Robert Bagshaw Mr. & Mrs. William Bridges Mr. & Mrs. William Bright Mr. & Mrs. Roy Burchel Mr. & Mrs. Lee Cummings Mr. & Mrs. Ralph . . . — Map (db m55017) HM
Indiana (Clark County), Jeffersonville — 10.1962.1 — Civil War Hospital
Site of Jefferson General Hospital, the third largest hospital in the United States during the Civil War. Under Dr. Middleton Goldsmith's command it served over 16, 000 patients. — Map (db m46647) HM
Indiana (Clark County), Jeffersonville — 10.2008.01 — Hannah Toliver
Side A Emancipation Proclamation (1863) did not free slaves in Kentucky. In April 1864, Hannah Toliver, a free black woman living in Jeffersonville, was arrested for aiding a fugitive slave from Kentucky. In May, she was convicted and . . . — Map (db m100710) HM
Indiana (Clay County), Brazil — 11.2001.1 — Clay County (Indiana) Courthouse
Side one County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1825; named for national statesman Henry Clay. First county seat at Bowling Green; had three courthouses: first built 1827 was two-story log structure; second and third built 1839-1840 . . . — Map (db m18883) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Elnora — 14.2007.1 — Wabash and Erie Canal
Side A A canal from Terre Haute to Evansville authorized 1846. Maysville Division along White River was over 23 miles long from Newberry through Owl Prairie (now Elnora) to Maysville; part of it paralleled what is now S.R. 57. . . . — Map (db m23203) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Odon — 14.1991.1 — Odon, Formerly Clarksburg
Platted in 1846 by John Hastings; town named Clarksburg reportedly after George Rogers Clark; post office name was Clark’s Prairie, 1858-1881. Both names changed to Odon, 1881; Odon incorporated, 1885. By tradition, name Odon coined by combining . . . — Map (db m99006) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1992.1 — Baltimore & Ohio Southwestern Railroad Depot
Mission Revival Style depot, built 1906, restored 1990; part of Washington Commercial Historic District. Link to city's trading and industrial history, with substantial railroad machine shops and car works. Indiana stop of former President Dwight D. . . . — Map (db m23214) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1999.1 — Fort Flora
Built on this site by civilians to protect approximately ten families during War of 1812. Named for landowner David Flora. Ten such forts were built circa 1811-1813 in area that became Daviess County. Area was Knox County, part of Indiana Territory . . . — Map (db m23211) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1999.2 — Homer E. Capehart / GOP Cornfield Conference
Side A Homer E. Capehart Born into Indiana farming family 1897. Manufactured and pioneered sales of automatic phonographs, creating Capehart Corporation. Executive of Rudolph Wurlitzer Company 1933-1944. Organized 1938 Republican . . . — Map (db m23206) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1989.1 — Mimi's House — Robert C. Graham
Residence of Robert C. Graham (1885-1967), pioneer glass, truck and auto manufacturer. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983 by the U.S. Department of the Interior because of its history and Prairie Style architecture. — Map (db m23208) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1989.2 — Robert C. Graham
Robert Cabel Graham (1885-1967), a native of Washington, Daviess County, with his brothers Joseph and Ray, contributed much to the economy and quality of life in that city, Evansville, and other towns. Glass factories, truck manufacturing, and . . . — Map (db m98936) HM
Indiana (Daviess County), Washington — 14.1966.1 — Vincennes Donation Lands
In 1788 Congress granted 400 acres of land to each French family of this area. The tract was laid off in a square containing 160 separate plots. Additional grants were made affecting the five counties shown. — Map (db m98935) HM
Indiana (Dearborn County), West Harrison — 15.1999.1 — Canal Junction
(Front Side) The Whitewater Canal and the Cincinnati and Whitewater Canal joined in Harrison to provide better access to Cincinnati markets and Ohio River. Indiana Internal Improvement Act 1836 authorized Whitewater Canal; completed from . . . — Map (db m66869) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2001.1 — Civil War General John T. Wilder
Side one Wilder (1830-1917), resident of Greensburg circa 1858-1869, built this home 1865-1866. He was millwright and inventor; provided major employment in the area. Enlisted in Civil War; appointed lieutenant colonel of Seventeenth . . . — Map (db m44744) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.1980.1 — Decatur County Court House
Site of the original court house built in 1827 and occupied until 1854. Present building completed in 1860. Large tooth aspen tree appeared in 1870 on the roof of the 115 foot clock tower. In July, 1863, it became a temporary armory while troops . . . — Map (db m44757) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2007.1 — Donnell -V.- State, 1852
Side one: Luther Donnell was convicted in Decatur Circuit Court (1849) of aiding fugitive slaves, Caroline and her four children, to escape to Canada. In Donnell v. State, Indiana Supreme Court reversed the conviction, claiming that under . . . — Map (db m44752) HM
Indiana (Decatur County), Greensburg — 16.2008.1 — Escape of Caroline, 1847
Side one: Caroline and her four children escaped Kentucky slave owner October 31, 1847; they crossed Ohio River near Madison. After passing near here, Fugit Township black and white residents hid family close to Clarksburg. While hidden, . . . — Map (db m44743) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Auburn — 17.1992.1 — Auburn Automobile Company
Auburn Automobile Company (1900-1937) Art Deco Style Administration building, built 1929-1930. Housed departments of Cord Corporation, manufacturer of Auburn, Cord, and Duesenberg automobiles. Became Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum, 1974; listed in . . . — Map (db m53934) HM
Indiana (DeKalb County), Spencerville — 17.1996.1 — Spencerville Covered Bridge
Built 1873, by John A. McKay, spanning Saint Joseph River; a Smith Truss, Variant Four, by Smith Bridge Company, Toledo, Ohio; has remained in use with regular maintenance, repairs, and extensive 1981 restoration. Listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m52971) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Eaton — 18.1981.1 — First Indiana Gas Well
The first significant commercial gas well came in Sept. 15, 1886, near here south of the Mississinewa River and East of the railroad, ushering in the gas boom era. Almeron H. Crannell, a Civil War veteran and later resident of Hartford City, drilled . . . — Map (db m63797) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Gaston — 18.1996.2 — Slickville Tile Works
Site of production mill and three beehive kilns, first fueled by wood and then by natural gas, circa 1883-1910, owned & operated by Manassa Myers, Sr. family. Produced drainage tiles (hollow cylinder-shaped sections) from adjacent clay pit for local . . . — Map (db m63796) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.2008.1 — Ball Brothers Glass Manufacturing Company
Side - A Company incorporated in New York 1886 to manufacture glassware (particularly fruit jars). Brothers Edmund, Frank, George, William, and Lucius Ball all were trustees. Company - promised money, land, and free natural gas - came . . . — Map (db m31345) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.2011.1 — Hemingray Glass Company
Side A Founded as Gray & Hemingray in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1848. Incorporated 1870 in Covington, Kentucky; company produced glass bottles, jars, oil lamps, light globes, tableware and insulators. After discovery of natural gas in . . . — Map (db m65208) HM
Indiana (Delaware County), Muncie — 18.1996.1 — Shaffer Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church
Structure, circa 1893, is Muncie's oldest standing public school building. Purchased by church congregation, circa 1928. Rallying point in August 1930 when bodies of two African-American men, lynched in Marion, were brought to Muncie for embalmment . . . — Map (db m31346) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Bristol — 20.2007.1 — Graves et al v. Indiana
Side One: In 1847, three Kentucky men tried to capture Thomas Harris, fugitive slave in Bristol; a justice of the peace ruling freed Harris, who fled. In 1848, the Elkhart Circuit Court convicted the three men of causing a riot in 1847. In . . . — Map (db m30744) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.1998.2 — Ambrose G. Bierce
Born in Ohio 1842; family moved to Kosciusko County, Indiana 1846. Bierce lived and worked in Elkhart 1860-1861. Union officer wounded in Civil War. Moved to California 1866; became nationally prominent as journalist, short story writer, and critic. . . . — Map (db m44852) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.1 — C.G. Conn Company
Side One: Charles Gerard Conn began the musical instrument industry in Elkhart; city has been called the Band Industry Capital of the World. By 1874 producing rubber mouthpiece; was granted patent 1875; began producing musical . . . — Map (db m30747) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2009.1 — Charles Gordone
Born in Ohio, 1925, Gordone grew up in Elkhart and graduated from Elkhart High School in 1944. In the 1950s, he moved to New York City where he worked as an actor, director, and playwright. During the 1960s, he acted in the award-winning . . . — Map (db m32734) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2007.2 — Dr. Franklin L. Miles
Side one: Born circa 1845 in Ohio. Graduated from Rush Medical College 1874. Moved medical practice from Chicago to Elkhart 1875. Began The Dr. Miles Medical Company 1885 to sell Dr. Miles' Nervine, Restorative Nerve and Liver pills, and . . . — Map (db m44877) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Elkhart — 20.2006.2 — E. Hill Turnock
(Side one): Added many buildings to the architectural significance of Elkhart, Goshen, and Nappanee. Born mid-1850s in England; his family moved to Elkhart early 1870s. In mid-1880s he moved to Chicago; worked until 1890 with architect . . . — Map (db m32728) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1997.1 — A. E. Kunderd Gladiolus Farm
Amos E. Kunderd (1866 - 1965) owned and resided on a 100-acre farm on this site. Respected internationally for hybridization of varieties of gladioli which were exhibited, and grown in gardens, throughout the world. Originated the ruffled and . . . — Map (db m30161) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2001.2 — Elkhart County Courthouse
Side 1: Elkhart County was formed by the Indiana General Assembly 1830; the first county seat was located in Concord Township. County commissioners relocated the county seat to Goshen 1831. Jacob Studebaker, Goshen, designed first brick . . . — Map (db m30157) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.2003.1 — Goshen’s Carnegie Library
Side A Indiana's first Carnegie library opened here 1903 with 3, 000 volumes. Goshen Library Association received $25, 000 in Carnegie grants 1901. Public donations, land purchase, and tax levy met Carnegie grant conditions. Architects Patton . . . — Map (db m32724) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1998.1 — Howard W. Hawks
Born 1896 in house on this site into locally prominent family. Moved with parents to Neenah, Wisconsin 1899 and to Pasadena, California 1906. Hawks - director, producer, screenwriter - is recognized as one of Hollywood's greatest filmmakers. His . . . — Map (db m30407) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Goshen — 20.1966.1 — Indiana Territory Line
The boundary between Indiana and Michigan territories was established in 1805. Just before Indiana became a state in 1816, the line was moved ten miles north to give Indiana frontage on Lake Michigan. — Map (db m44849) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Middlebury — 20.2001.1 — Krider Nurseries World's Fair Garden
Side One: Krider Nurseries constructed and exhibited Krider's Diversified Garden at Century of Progress International Exposition in Chicago 1933-1934. Some plants and structures were returned to Middlebury, and garden was reconstructed . . . — Map (db m30745) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.1 — Nappanee Cartoonists
(Side one): Merrill Blosser was first Nappanee artist to gain national recognition as a professional cartoonist. Freckles and His Friends, his most popular cartoon, ran from 1915 to 1973, syndicated by Newspaper Enterprise Association. In . . . — Map (db m31478) HM
Indiana (Elkhart County), Nappanee — 20.2005.2 — Nappanee Furniture
Side one: Nappanee platted 1874 on Baltimore & Ohio Railroad line. Sawmill opened 1873 produced ties for railroad construction. Coppes and Mutschler brothers were partners in lumber, milling, and furniture business, 1902-1913, becoming . . . — Map (db m62666) HM
Indiana (Fayette County), Connersville — 21.1966.1 — The Whitewater Canal
In 1836 construction began on this fifty-six lock, one hundred one mile canal. Opened from Lawrenceburg to Brookville (1839), it was extended to Laurel and Cincinnati (1843), Connersville (1845), Cambridge City (1846), and Hagerstown (1847). — Map (db m44741) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2004.1 — A Gateway to Freedom
As early as 1821, enslaved blacks seeking freedom crossed the Ohio River from Louisville to New Albany. Antebellum and Civil War periods brought more fugitives. Many freedom-seekers were aided by other slaves, free blacks, and anti-slavery whites -- . . . — Map (db m30841) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.1999.1 — Buffalo Trace Route
American Bison, migrating in great herds, created a cluster of paths along the natural topography between Illinois prairies and salt licks in Kentucky. These paths, called the Buffalo Trace, used by Native Americans and became premier travel route . . . — Map (db m71282) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2005.1 — Division Street School
Side 'One' Because of the growing number of African-American school-age children, the New Albany School Board authorized a new elementary school for them June 1884. It opened here 1885. An 1869 Indiana law had mandated education of colored . . . — Map (db m46620) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — Lucy Higgs Nichols
Side ‘One’ Lucy, born a slave April 10, 1838, was owned by the Higgs family that by 1850 lived near Bolivar, Tennessee. She gained her freedom in 1862 by escaping to the 23rd Regiment, Indiana Volunteers camped nearby. She worked as a nurse . . . — Map (db m46622) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.2005.3 — New Albany's Carnegie Library
Side 'One' New Albany School Board organized a public library on May 8, 1884. This library building, supported with funds from Andrew Carnegie, opened on March 2, 1904 with 11, 125 volumes. Building is Neoclassical style, constructed of brick . . . — Map (db m46768) HM
Indiana (Floyd County), New Albany — 22.1998.1 — Scribner High School
In 1880, an 1822 school building on this site became Scribner High School for African-American students, under an 1869 Indiana law mandating public education for African-American children and allowing segregated schools. Modern facility completed . . . — Map (db m46624) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.1997.1 — Attica & Covington Canal Skirmish
In fall 1846, residents of Covington and Attica skirmished at Lock 35 over lack of water to Covington. Heavy rains eventually resolved the problem. Competition among canal towns over water control was often intense. First boat reached Attica 1846 . . . — Map (db m3284) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.2005.1 — Attica’s Carnegie Library
Ladies Library Association of Attica, created 1885, deeded its library building to city; city library opened 1902 with a collection of 1,500 books. Funds from Andrew Carnegie made it possible to build a new library here on land originally owned by . . . — Map (db m3317) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Attica — 23.2003.1 — Ravine Park
American Indians frequented this area, rich in natural resources. The ravine provided water from natural springs, marl for lime, and clay for bricks for nineteenth-century residents of Attica, platted 1825. City became owner of ravine 1906 when . . . — Map (db m3311) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Covington — 23.1970.2 — Esther Test Wallace
1807–1834. The 1st wife of Governor David Wallace and Mother of General Lew Wallace, soldier, author of Ben Hur, statesman & diplomat, is here buried. She influenced the lives of two important Hoosiers. — Map (db m3382) HM
Indiana (Fountain County), Veedersburg — 23.1970.1 — Boyhood Home of Daniel W. Voorhees
“Tall Sycamore of the Wabash” — 1827-1897 — Famous orator - Representative in Congress, 1861-66, 1869-73; U.S. Senator, 1877–1897; chief promoter of the building of the Library of Congress. — Map (db m3232) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1992.1 — Brookville Historic District
Platted 1808 along Whitewater River, Brookville was an important entry point to interior lands opened to settlement. The district's concentration of well-preserved buildings reflects the city's continued prosperity. Brookville Historic District . . . — Map (db m44697) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1966.1 — Brookville, Franklin County — ( Platted 1808 )
. . . — Map (db m44695) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.2 — Brookville's Carnegie Library
Dedicated in 1912, starting with approximately 600 books; collections and services have expanded to meet needs of local patrons. One of 1, 679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana built more Carnegie . . . — Map (db m44694) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.2002.1 — Brookville's Grandstand
Side one This grandstand built 1922 to seat 1, 000 and serve fans of new Brookville semi-pro team. Twenty box seats included to help pay for construction. Central platform included for community activities. Facility later used for youth . . . — Map (db m44693) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.3 — Intersection of Treaty Lines
One mile south is intersection of western boundary line of Treaty of Greenville, Ohio (1795) and Treaty of Grouseland, near Vincennes (1805), northeastern boundary line. By these treaties, Native American tribes ceded land to the United States . . . — Map (db m66866) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1949.1 — Little Cedar Grove Baptist Church
Built in 1812, this is the oldest church building still on its original location in the state. Interior shows rifle openings in walls, a balcony and raised pulpit. Burial plot adjoins church. — Map (db m44920) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Brookville — 24.1995.1 — Old Franklin United Brethren Church
United Brethren among earliest settlers in eastern Indiana during territorial period. Original structure, built 1831, one of first United Brethren churches in Indiana. Evangelical United Brethren Church joined Methodist Church to become United . . . — Map (db m66867) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.2006.1 — Brigadier General CSA Francis Asbury Shoup
(Front Side) Remembered for service in Confederate States of America army, 1861-1865, and "Shoupade" fortification design; fought in battles of Shiloh, Vicksburg, and Atlanta. Advocated recruitment of African Americans for CSA army. . . . — Map (db m66860) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Laurel — 24.1965.1 — Whetzel Trace (1818-1823)
Here Edward Toner founded SOMERSET, 1816, & operated Toner's Tavern, 1816-1823, from which rallying point pioneers started west on Jacob Whetzel's Trace to the "New Purchase" of Central Indiana. — Map (db m66859) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Metamora — 24.19??.? — Whitewater Canal
Important waterway of pioneer commerce. Built 1836 - 47 from Lawrenceburg to Hagerstown, with branch to Cincinnati. Used until 1860. Fifteen-mile section restored by state. — Map (db m44708) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Oldenburg — 24.1971.1 — Academy of the Immaculate ConceptionSisters of Saint Francis
Opened in 1852; enlarged in 1876 and 1901. The Academy Classroom Building and the Auditorium were completed in 1968. — Map (db m66850) HM
Indiana (Franklin County), Rockdale — 24.2005.1 — Snow Hill Covered Bridge
(Front Side) Built 1894-1895 over Johnson's Fork Creek by John H. Horn and William H. Butts to a Howe truss design by John Burkhart. All men were local residents. Bridge was important passageway to Cincinnati markets. Rests on stone . . . — Map (db m66868) HM
Indiana (Fulton County), Rochester — 25.1949.1 — Michigan Road
Extending from Michigan City to the Ohio River at Madison. Begun by the state in 1832 with funds obtained from sale of land granted by the Potawatomi Indians. Opened northern part of state to settlers. — Map (db m35346) HM
Indiana (Gibson County), Oakland City — 26.2005.1 — James Washington Cockrum
Side 'One' Born 1799 in North Carolina. Purchased land 1818 in Gibson County. Cockrum and Jacob Warrick Hargrove laid out the town of Oakland (now Oakland City) on January 15, 1856. Cockrum and his son William Monroe Cockrum, along with . . . — Map (db m47807) HM
Indiana (Gibson County), Princeton — 26.2002.1 — Lyles Station
Side 'One' Settled in late 1840s by Joshua and Sanford Lyles, former slaves from Tennessee. African Methodist Episcopal Church (since 1860) and schools (1865-1958) played important roles in sustaining the community. On land donated by Joshua . . . — Map (db m47805) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Fairmount — 27.1995.1 — J.W. Patterson House
Built circa 1888. Occupied by civic leaders (Nixon Winslow, Levi Scott, and Joseph Patterson) who made significant contributions to Fairmount's economic, educational, and cultural development. Patterson was community's medical doctor, 1889-1913. . . . — Map (db m63799) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Gas City — 27.1988.1 — West Ward School
This Richardsonian Romanesque style structure, built 1900-1902, reflects the area's prosperity during the natural gas boom. The town of Harrisburg had been renamed Gas City in 1892. — Map (db m63801) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Marion — 27.1947.1 — Battle of Mississinewa
Two miles west. Site of battle fought Dec. 18, 1812, in which British-allied Miami Indians were defeated by U.S. troops and Militia under Col. John Campbell. — Map (db m1497) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Marion — 27.1992.1 — Former Narrow Gauge RailroadRailroad Construction
Side 1 Tracklayers building narrow gauge railroad connecting Great Lakes at Toledo, Ohio, with Mississippi River reached this point October 1, 1880. In 1887, 2,000 men converted 206 miles of this to standard gauge railroad in 11 . . . — Map (db m1502) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Marion — 27.1972.1 — Miami Indian Cemetery
The largest Indian cemetery in Indiana. Few graves are marked. The Indians buried here are largely descendants of Chief Metocinya and include Meshingomesia and his family. The first burial was probably in 1873. Burial was contrary to Indian . . . — Map (db m1503) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Marion — 27.1966.1 — New Purchase Boundary(Treaty of St. Mary’s)
In October 1818, Purchasing Commissioners Lewis Cass, Benjamin Parke and Governor Jonathan Jennings acquired Indian claims on the land shown on this marker. About one-third of modern Indiana was involved in this transaction. — Map (db m1500) HM
Indiana (Grant County), Matthews — 27.1995.2 — The Village of Trask
Trask, like other pioneer villages, served an important commercial, social, and educational role for early settlers. The post office (1846-1901) marked the start and end of Trask's official existence. As travel improved, such villages disappeared or . . . — Map (db m63802) HM
Indiana (Greene County), Bloomfield — 28.1998.1 — Richland-Plummer Creek Covered Bridge
Built 1883 by A.M. Kennedy and Sons to Burr arch truss design on stone abutments. Closed 1957; opened 1967 after foundation and roof rehabilitation; closed 1990. Bridge reopened 1998 following extensive structural renovation and replacement of . . . — Map (db m98962) HM
Indiana (Greene County), Worthington — 28.1998.2 — Fred A. Jewell — Indiana's March King
Born in Worthington 1875. Left home at sixteen and became performer, composer, and bandmaster for several circuses, including Ringling Brothers (1902-1904, 1907) and Barnum and Bailey (1908-1910). Brought his publishing company to Worthington 1923; . . . — Map (db m21728) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Atlanta — 29.2016.1 — Roberts Settlement
Free people of color left the South starting in the 1820s as threats to freedom and property escalated with slavery expansion. In 1835, Hansel and Elijah Roberts and Micajah Walden of North Carolina bought land in Hamilton County near anti-slavery . . . — Map (db m98840) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.2005.1 — Conner Street Historic District
Hamilton County formed 1823. Noblesville platted 1823, selected county seat 1824, incorporated 1851. Located east of downtown commercial area; boundaries are Conner and Logan streets (east and west) and 10th and 17th streets (north and south). . . . — Map (db m240) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.2007.1 — Potter's Covered Bridge
[Obverse]: First bridge spanning White River at Potter's Ford was commissioned 1860 and named after the landowner, William Potter. In 1870, Hamilton County Commissioners voted for construction of this "Howe Truss" bridge. It was finished . . . — Map (db m8165) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Noblesville — 29.1994.1 — The Central Canal
These canal-bed earthworks are remnants of construction on the Central Canal from 1836-39. It was planned to link the Hoosier interior with interstate markets, via the Wabash & Erie Canal, as part of the 1836 Internal Improvement Act. Indiana's . . . — Map (db m41624) HM
Indiana (Hamilton County), Westfield — 29.2008.1 — Rhodes Family Incident
Side A: In 1837, an enslaved family of three escaped from Missouri; settled six miles north of here 1839 with name Rhodes. In 1844, Singleton Vaughn arrived at their home to claim them; family resisted until neighbors arrived. Vaughn agreed . . . — Map (db m27812) HM
Indiana (Hancock County), Greenfield — 30.1966.1 — Birthplace of Democratic Party Rooster
The use of the rooster as a Democratic party symbol originated in Greenfield in the 1840 campaign. The rooster was later adopted by the state and national Democratic parties. — Map (db m273) HM
Indiana (Hancock County), Greenfield — 30.1967.1 — James Whitcomb Riley"The Hoosier Poet" — October 7, 1849–July 22, 1916
Birthplace James Whitcomb Riley "The Hoosier Poet" October 7, 1849–July 22, 1916 Editor, author, poet, lecturer and entertainer. One of the best known Hoosiers of all time, Riley first wrote under the name "Benj. F. Johnson of Boone" and was . . . — Map (db m65222) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1963.1 — Battle of Corydon
Site of the Battle of Corydon July 9 - 1863 — Map (db m9635) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1961.1 — Battle of Corydon- - - July 9, 1863 - - -
A force of about 400, Indiana militia and citizen volunteers commanded by Col. Lewis Jordan, engaged John Hunt Morgan's raiders, 2,400 cavalry, along a wooded ridge a mile south of Corydon. The determined Hoosier defense caused General Duke, . . . — Map (db m9636) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1966.4 — Cedar Hill Cemetery
First burials date back to founding of Corydon 1808. Col. Thomas L. Posey, a public minded citizen, donated the original ground to the Town of Corydon for burial purposes. The Farquar family added a small addition and the remainder of the cemetery . . . — Map (db m9718) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1980.1 — Corydon United Methodist Church
Site of the first Methodist church, Corydon. Lot purchased from Isaiah Boone, son of Squire Boone, in 1826. Earlier, Corydon was a station on Silver Creed Methodist Circuit. Services were held in Corydon as early as 1816. — Map (db m9716) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1962.2 — First State Capital
Corydon became the first state capital of Indiana in 1816. The first constitution was drawn up and the first sessions of the state legislature and supreme court convened here. — Map (db m9712) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1962.1 — First State Office Building
Built 1817. Housed offices of State Treasurer and Auditor until Fall of 1824. The cellar was the Treasury vault. Building used by Harrison County Seminary, 1829-51. Since 1871, home of Amzi Brewster heirs. — Map (db m9710) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.3 — Governor's HeadquartersHendricks House
Home of Governor William Hendricks 1822-1825 while he was Governor of Indiana. Front room was Governor's Headquarters. Hendricks was also Secretary of Constitutional Convention. House wa built 1817 by Davis Floyd, Territorial Auditor and Treasurer . . . — Map (db m9711) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1966.5 — Harrison County
Organized 1808 from parts of Knox and Clark Counties. Named in honor of William Henry Harrison who owned land within the County and was Territorial Governor and later ninth President of U.S. Fourth County formed in Indiana Territory. Original . . . — Map (db m9750) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.2 — Harrison County Jail
First Log Jail erected 1809. Spier Spencer, First Sheriff, was killed 1811 commanding the Harrison County Yellow Jackets in the Battle of Tippecanoe. During first twelve years, Harrison County had a whipping post where justice was meted out by . . . — Map (db m9628) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1948.1 — Indiana Capitol
The Capital of Indiana Territory was moved to Corydon from Vincennes, 1813. This building became first State Capitol, 1816. Offices were moved to Indianapolis in 1825. — Map (db m9626) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2004.1 — John ShieldsLewis and Clark Expedition Member
Marker Front Shields, born 1769 in Virginia, served as a private for the entire Lewis and Clark Expedition from October 19, 1803 until October 10, 1806; one of its "Nine Young Men from Kentucky," he was a skilled gunsmith and blacksmith. . . . — Map (db m9642) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1995.1 — Leora Brown School
Facility built 1891 as elementary and secondary school for African Americans. Originally known as Corydon Colored School; first graduation was on May 14, 1897. Renamed 1987 for Leora Brown Farrow, a teacher at the school, 1924 - 1950. . . . — Map (db m9627) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2008.1 — Oswell Wright
Front side Born in Maryland early 1810's. Bought land in Corydon, May 1849. In November 1857, Kentuckians arrested Wright and two white men, Charles and David Bell; they were indicted and jailed in Kentucky for aiding escape of fugitive . . . — Map (db m9615) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.1 — Posey House
Built 1817 - - Home of Col. Thomas Posey, son of Gov. Posey. Col. Posey (1792 - 1863) served as Treasurer of Harrison County; Cashier of Corydon Branch of the Bank of Vincennes; U.S. Military Pension Agent in Indiana; Adjutant General of Indiana; . . . — Map (db m9630) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.1965.4 — Presbyterian Church
Organized under Louisville Presbytery, Synod of Kentucky, January 1819 by Rev. John Finley Crowe who later founded Hanover College. Early Church services were held in homes and in State Capitol prior to building first church 1826. Original church . . . — Map (db m9713) HM
Indiana (Harrison County), Corydon — 31.2003.3 — St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church
Side one Free blacks and former slaves organized an African Methodist Episcopal congregation in Corydon by 1843. In 1851, church trustees purchased land in Corydon in order to build a church and for school purposes. In 1878, church . . . — Map (db m9752) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Amo — 32.2007.1 — Arthur L. Trester
(Side One) Born 1878 in Pecksburg (which was 2.1 miles east). Elected to Board of Controls of Indiana High School Athletic Association (IHSAA) 1911, appointed Permanent Secretary 1913, continued after 1929 as Commissioner of High School . . . — Map (db m69349) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Danville — 32.2001.2 — Central Normal College
Organized 1876 at Ladoga as second private Indiana normal school specializing in teacher training. Based on Alfred Holbrook's techniques at his normal college in Lebanon, Ohio which pioneered teacher training in America. Central Normal College was . . . — Map (db m239) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Danville — 32.2001.1 — Danville’s Carnegie Library
(Side one): At May 1902 meeting newly-formed Library Board authorized lot purchase and tax levy to support a public library as required by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie for funding. Designed by S. C. Dark of Indianapolis in Classical . . . — Map (db m238) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Danville — 32.2000.1 — Danville’s Main Street Historic District
(Side One) Residential district bounded by Main, East, Cross, and Marion streets. Nineteenth and early twentieth century homes reflect social and economic diversity of residents, including town’s prominent citizens. Listed in National Register of . . . — Map (db m237) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Danville — 32.2006.1 — Samuel Luther Thompson
(Side One) He was born in Danville March 5, 1860 and educated in Danville Graded School. He played for Danville Browns baseball team in 1883 and for Evansville and Indianapolis minor league ball clubs 1884 and 1885. He played for . . . — Map (db m69351) HM
Indiana (Hendricks County), Plainfield — 32.1972.1 — Western Yearly Meeting House
has been the site of annual meeting of Religious Society of Friends since 1858. The Depository was erected to house Quaker records, 1873. Friends Central Academy served as secondary school, 1881-1919. — Map (db m69404) HM
Indiana (Henry County), Greensboro — 33.1976.1 — Underground Station
Seth Hinshaw, (1787-1865), well-known abolitionist, operated a station of the Underground Railroad on this site, prior to the Civil War. He also operated a store in which he refused to sell goods produced by slave labor. In 1843, Hinshaw helped . . . — Map (db m63804) HM
Indiana (Henry County), Hagerstown — 33.1966.1 — Birthplace of Wilbur Wright
April 16, 1867 - May 30, 1912 Co-inventor of the airplane With his brother, Orville, he began studying flight, 1896; built first model airplane, 1899; began gliding, 1900; and achieved first successful powered flight at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, . . . — Map (db m4664) HM
Indiana (Howard County), Kokomo — 34.1966.1 — Haynes’ Horseless Carriage
Here on July 4, 1894, Elwood Haynes made the first test run of an automobile which he designed and built. His car reached a speed of about seven miles per hour over a six mile course on the Pumpkinvine Pike. — Map (db m1455) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1973.1 — Canal Landing on Washington Street / Jefferson Park Mall
(Side 1) Canal Landing on Washington Street. The Huntington Landing started 120 feet west on Washington St and continued to the lock at Cherry St. The Wabash & Erie canal was 4 feet deep and 100 feet wide as this point. Other locks . . . — Map (db m65223) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1979.1 — Drover Town
Drover Town, the first addition south of the Little River was platted Aug. 22, 1857 by Henry Drover. It included about 20 of his 160 acres of woodland. Family first names were given to the streets. Additional subdivisions followed. Huntington's . . . — Map (db m55693) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1972.1 — Forks of Wabash
The junction of the Wabash and Little rivers, 100 yards south, was the western terminus of the Maumee-Wabash long portage and, in 1835, of the first section of the Wabash and Erie Canal. During the 18th century French and English traders passed this . . . — Map (db m45118) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1966.1 — Home of Chief Richardville
Jean Baptiste Richardville (Pe-she-wah), 1761-1841 last great chief of the Miamis, made the forks of the Wabash his principal residence. His mother was the influential Tau-cum-wah sister of Chief Little Turtle. — Map (db m7541) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1979.3 — Huntington's Ford and First Bridge / Huntington's Buildings Over the River
(Side 1) Huntington's Ford and First Bridge Pioneers forded Little River From Charles Street diagonally across just below the Island to the Court House. A dugout canoe, when hailed, carried pedestrians across for 50 cents. . . . — Map (db m65224) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Huntington — 35.1979.2 — The “Lime City”
Huntington, the “Lime City.” so named for its many limestone quarries and kilns, the first kiln being built in this vicinity by Michael Houseman in 1843 or 1844. By 1885 there were 31 kilns in operation: eight were perpetual kilns, the . . . — Map (db m7544) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Mt. Etna — 35.1949.1 — Pioneer Medical Doctors / Chase S. Osborn
(Side 1) Pioneer Medical Doctors. George A. Osborn, 1823-1902, Margaret Osborn, 1827-1914, Parents of Chase S. Osborn. The mother launched upon active practice here 1860. The father practiced in Ohio before 1850. (Side 2) . . . — Map (db m61750) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Roanoke — 35.2005.1 — Kiilhsoohkwa (Kilsoquah)
(Front Side) Born 1810 in what is now Huntington County. She was a granddaughter of Miami Chief Little Turtle. Her second husband was Antoine Revarre; her son Anthony Revarre, lived with her near Roanoke and acted as interpreter since . . . — Map (db m61120) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Roanoke — 35.1997.1 — Wabash & Erie Canal Lock 4
First lock west of summit level of Wabash and Erie Canal (connected Lake Erie with Ohio River in 1853). Known as Dickey Lock. Built as Lock 1, 1834-1835, of wood construction; renumbered Lock 4 as result of canal completion to Ohio line (1840). . . . — Map (db m61119) HM
Indiana (Huntington County), Warren — 35.2007.1 — Warren's Carnegie Library
Side A A Warren Public Library Board was organized in June 1916 after a public fundraising campaign to buy books and periodicals. In 1917, a grant of $10,000 from the Carnegie Corporation was confirmed to support construction of a free . . . — Map (db m41467) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Brownstown — 36.1966.2 — In Memory of Col. John Ketcham / Time Capsule
In Memory of Col. John Ketcham 1782 - 1865 Fearless pioneer, Ranger, surveyor, public servant who dedicated this public square for seat of government of Jackson County, Ind. when Brownstown was founded April 8, 1816. Time Capsule . . . — Map (db m46756) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Medora — 36.2008.1 — Medora Shale Brick Plant
(Side One) West Lee Wright laid out Medora 1853. Sample of local shale was made into brick “excellent for building and paving” 1904. Medora Shale Brick Company organized 1904. Construction began by 1910, one south of here . . . — Map (db m74168) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Seymour — 36.2008.2 — Alexander McClure
Side 'One' On April 15, 1860 at the Seymour railroad depot, a shipping box was damaged while being transferred; McClure was discovered inside and immediately identified himself as a fugitive slave from Nashville, Tennessee. The box had been . . . — Map (db m46663) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Seymour — 36.1997.1 — Freeman Field
Activated December 1942 as U.S. Army Air Forces advanced training school for World War II twin engined pilots; graduated over 4000 by February 1945. Construction of 413 structures and four 5,500-foot runways supervised by U.S. Army Corps of . . . — Map (db m13625) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Seymour — 36.1997.2 — Freeman Field
Activated December 1942 as U.S. Army Air Forces advanced training school for World War II twin engined pilots; graduated over 4000 by February 1945. Construction of 413 structures and four 5,500-foot runways supervised by U.S. Army Corps of . . . — Map (db m13626) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Seymour — 36.1966.1 — Indian Treaty Corner
800 feet northwest is the point which marks the junction of the Grouseland Treaty line of 1805 with the Fort Wayne Treaty line of 1809. These and other treaties permitted early white settlement of Indiana. — Map (db m74056) HM
Indiana (Jackson County), Vallonia — 36.1951.1 — Fort Vallonia
Site in town of stockade built in 1812 on old Indian trail for protection of the settlers in this area. Garrisoned by Maj. John Tipton and his militia Rangers in 1813. Marker on the site. — Map (db m74071) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), De Motte — 37.1966.1 — La Salle Expedition
In December, 1679, Robert Cavalier, Sieur de La Salle, with thirty men crossed northwestern Indiana by way of the Kankakee River in an attempt to find a water route to the Pacific Ocean. — Map (db m64157) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Remington — 37.1992.1 — Fountain Park Chautauqua
Fountain Park has been the site of annual Chautauqua sessions since 1895. The Chautauqua continues to promote traditional values and religious, social and educaitonal activities upon which it was founded. — Map (db m3806) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Remington — 37.2006.1 — Remington Water Tower
Built 1897 by Challenge Wind and Feed Mill Company of Batavia, Illinois. Rare tower and wood tank structure is an original example of nineteenth century public water utility facility, construction methods, and technology. Tower has limestone . . . — Map (db m1513) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Rensselaer — 37.1964.1 — General Robert H. Milroy
General Robert H. Milroy, 1816–1890, was appointed colonel of the 9th Indiana Infantry, later promoted to brigadier and major general. He saw extensive action in western Virginia. After the war he served as Indiana agent in State of Washington. — Map (db m2312) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Rensselaer — 37.2008.1 — James Frederick Hanley
Side A: Born February 17, 1892 in Rensselaer; became part of New York Tin Pan Alley music scene. Wrote for Broadway musicals such hits as "Second Hand Rose" (Grant Clarke, lyrics) for Fanny Brice (1921 Ziegfeld Follies) and "Zing! Went . . . — Map (db m27712) HM
Indiana (Jasper County), Rensselaer — 37.1971.1 — St. Joseph’s Indian Normal School1888–1896
Erected by the Bureau of Catholic Indian Missions with funds from Katharine Drexel and operated by the Society of the Precious Blood with federal funds, 60 Indian boys from distant reservations were annually trained here. — Map (db m2311) HM
Indiana (Jay County), Pennville — 38.1972.1 — West Grove
Early Quaker settlement established 1836; center of Underground Railroad activity. Meeting house erected here, 1840, on land donated by Enos and Margaret Lewis; used by Congregational Friends, by Spiritualist society, as school, community hall; . . . — Map (db m66818) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Dupont — 39.1963.1 — Morgan's Raid — July 8-13, 1863
Confederate forces under Gen. John Hunt Morgan camped near Dupont the night of July 11. They destroyed railroad track, burned bridges, freight cars and a warehouse, and stole 2, 000 hams from Mayfield's pork house. — Map (db m45875) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.2004.3 — Eleutherian College
(Side One) College developed 1854 from Eleutherian Institute, founded 1848. Thomas Craven and anti-slavery advocates in the area created and supported the institution for education of students of all races and genders. This structure, . . . — Map (db m74046) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.2006.1 — Irene Dunne
Side A Born in Louisville, Kentucky 1898; after father's death, moved with family to Madison. Graduated from Madison High School 1916. After voice training in Indianapolis and Chicago, began singing professionally. Won lead in road show of . . . — Map (db m22056) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.2006.2 — John H. and Sarah Tibbets
(Side One) The Tibbets provided assistance to fugitive slaves here in their home (now part of National Park Service, Network to Freedom); John piloted them to the next safe haven. Both were members of Neil’s Creek Anti-Slavery Society . . . — Map (db m74045) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.2004.2 — Lyman Hoyt
(Side One) Born in Vermont 1804. Moved to Jefferson County 1834, where he owned land and had several manufacturing businesses. Active in Neil’s Creek Anti-Slavery Society and in forming Liberty Party for abolition of slavery. He and his . . . — Map (db m74044) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.1992.1 — Madison Historic District
Madison Historic District, listed in National Register, 1973, in over 130 blocks contains hundreds of structures of every type, size, and period, 1812-1920, including many outstanding examples of major 19th century architectural styles. Madison is . . . — Map (db m65654) HM
Indiana (Jefferson County), Madison — 39.2004.1 — Michael C. Garber
Side one Born Staunton, Virginia 1813. Purchased Madison Courier 1849; transformed it from pro-Democratic to voice for newly forming Republican Party. Promoted the Union and objected to Fugitive Slave Law. Was active in Republican Party . . . — Map (db m22055) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Brewersville — 40.1997.2 — Kellar Grist Mill
Adam Kellar began constructing a stone mill race on Sand Creek, 1813, and opened grist mill, 1823. Mill was important to local economy and was an impetus for development: state road to mill established, 1834, and Brewersville founded, 1837. . . . — Map (db m73975) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Butlerville — 40.1969.1 — Hannah Milhous Nixon
Mother of President Richard M. Nixon was born on a farm four and a half miles southeast to which her grandparents came in 1854. Hannah's parents moved to California in 1897 when she was twelve years old. — Map (db m74039) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), North Vernon — 40.1966.1 — Grouseland Treaty Line(August 21, 1805)
Territorial Governor, William Henry Harrison, in a treaty with Indians held at Vincennes, secured lands which for the first time opened the entire north bank of the Ohio River for settlement. — Map (db m45881) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), North Vernon — 40.1999.1 — Muscatatuck Park
Side one: Opened 1921 as Indiana's fourth state park for its natural beauty and recreation potential. Named Vinegar Mills State Park after stone-cutting mill in park. Renamed Muscatatuck State Park 1922. Stone shelters and stairways, . . . — Map (db m45877) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Vernon — 40.1995.1 — Jonathan Jennings — 1784 - - 1834
Jennings County, formed 1816, named in honor of Jonathan Jennings: territorial delegate to Congress, 1809-1816; president of Indiana Constitutional Convention, 1816; first governor of state, 1816-1822; member of United States House of . . . — Map (db m45807) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Vernon — 40.1997.1 — Morgan's Raid
During the Civil War, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan led a raid into southern Indiana, July 8-13, 1863. On July 11, he demanded the surrender of Vernon. Colonel Hugh T. Williams, Indiana Legion, replied that Morgan "must take it by hard . . . — Map (db m48965) HM
Indiana (Jennings County), Vernon — 40.2003.1 — Vernon Historic District
Side 'One': Vernon platted 1815. Jennings County formed by Indiana General Assembly 1817; Vernon named county seat 1817. Madison-Indianapolis Railroad reached Vernon 1839; masonry arch, elevating track over Pike Street, remains. Vernon . . . — Map (db m45809) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — 41.1992.1 — Birthplace of Paul Vories McNutt
McNutt, born July 19, 1891 at 200 N. Walnut, was Indiana's 33rd Governor (1933-1937), state and national American Legion Commander, I. U. Law School Dean, High Commissioner and first U.S. Ambassador to Philippine Republic. Died March 24, 1955; . . . — Map (db m66821) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Franklin — 41.2000.1 — Birthplace of Roger D. Branigin
As Indiana's 42nd governor 1965-1969, championed equal opportunity in education and housing. Earned degrees from Franklin College and Harvard University. Deputy prosecutor of Johnson and Brown counties 1926-1929. Practiced law in Franklin, . . . — Map (db m66820) HM
Indiana (Johnson County), Nineveh — 41.2010.1 — William Merritt Chase
(Front Side) Prolific artist who helped develop and promote a style internationally recognized as distinctly American. Born 1849 near here; studied art in Indianapolis, New York, and Munich. Returned to New York in 1878; opened lavish . . . — Map (db m66832) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1966.2 — Fort Knox, First Site
Built in 1787 by Major John F. Hamtramck under command of General Josiah Harmar. United States Army's most western outpost for several years. Named for General Henry Knox, first Secretary of War. — Map (db m23253) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2009.1 — Mary Clark
Side One: Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G.W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and . . . — Map (db m23219) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1995.1 — Old French House
Home of French fur trader Michel Brouillet (1774-1838). French Creole cottage (built circa 1806) is typical of "posts-on-sill" construction technique used by French settlers in Mississippi Valley during eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. . . . — Map (db m23252) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.1995.2 — Samuel Thornton Scott ( 1777 - 1827 )
First resident Presbyterian minister in Indiana Territory, 1808. Headed the first school under the authority of the board of trustees of Vincennes University (a grammar school), 1811-1815. Served as member of board of trustees of Vincennes . . . — Map (db m48966) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2001.1 — Vincennes' Carnegie Library
Side One Designed by local architect John B. Bayard in Collegiate Gothic Style; built 1917-1918. Dedicated 1919, with 13, 518 books and 4, 207 registered borrowers, as Vincennes Public Library; Public Library located in City Hall since . . . — Map (db m23254) HM
Indiana (Knox County), Vincennes — 42.2006.1 — William Henry Harrison - & - Lewis & Clark Expedition — Expedition Contact Person
Side One Harrison became Governor of Indiana Territory 1800; he administered government of District of Louisiana 1804-1805. In Vincennes, he served as a contact during the expedition; surviving records document his support and his . . . — Map (db m23251) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Mentone — 43.1995.1 — Lawrence D. Bell
Born in Mentone, Lawrence D. Bell (1894-1956) became one of America's foremost aviation pioneers. He founded Bell Aircraft Corporation in Buffalo, New York, 1935. Advanced aircraft manufactured included Bell helicopters, America's first jet, and . . . — Map (db m45491) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — 43.1968.1 — Continental Divide
This divide separates the Great Lakes drainage system from the Mississippi River drainage system. — Map (db m44934) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — 43.1962.2 — Indian Hill
Indians formerly wrapped their dead and secured them in the trees here. At the time of white settlement the wrappings were disintegrating and the bones were falling to the ground. — Map (db m44937) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — 43.1962.1 — Papakeechie's Reserve
Eastbound Side: You are now entering Papakeechie's Reservation, 36 square miles. This Miami Chief, also known as Flat Belly, held this land from 1828 to 1834 when it was returned to the National Government. It was later owned by the Wabash . . . — Map (db m44930) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.2007.1 — Chinworth Bridge
Built 1897 across Tippecanoe River by Bellefontaine Bridge and Iron Company of Ohio. Single-span 140-foot iron bridge is last remaining Pratt through truss bridge in county. U.S. Highway 30 bypassed it in 1924. Closed to vehicle traffic 1975. Leased . . . — Map (db m44919) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.1966.1 — Indiana’s Glacier Lakes
About 14,000 years ago melting blocks of ice from the last, or Wisconsin Glacier, formed the kettle-hole lakes of northern Indiana. The largest lake, Wawasee, and the deepest lake, Tippecanoe, are in Kosciusko County. — Map (db m1627) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.2003.1 — Kosciusko County Jail
This third county jail, including a sheriff’s residence, was built in 1870 by Richard Epperson. Chicago architect, George O. Garnsey designed it in Neo-Gothic Style. Rusticated stonework and turrets create the appearance of a small castle to provide . . . — Map (db m1625) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.1976.1 — Site of Cowen Grove Seminary
1851-1876 One of the first secondary schools in the area. Built at the call of the Presbyterian Church by Robert Cowen and his wife Jane Cowen Headmistress. A fire of unknown origin burned the Seminary to the ground in December 1879. — Map (db m1624) HM
Indiana (LaGrange County), Brushy Prairie — 44.1966.1 — The Lagrange Phalanx
The Fourier System of communal living was attempted here between 1843 and 1848. Approximately thirty families lived by rules established in councils of industry, commerce, justice and education. Their "new social order" was a failure. — Map (db m44878) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Dyer — 45.1996.1 — The Lincoln Highway / The "Ideal Section"
The Lincoln Highway United States' first transcontinental highway, constructed 1913-1928, from New York City to San Francisco. Dedicated to the memory of Abraham Lincoln. Conceived by Carl G. Fisher to encourage building "good roads." . . . — Map (db m9063) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.1 — Froebel School
Side A Froebel opened here, 1912, as many European immigrants and southern blacks moved to Gary for jobs in steel mills. An experiment in progressive education, it served students of diverse backgrounds and the local community. Despite . . . — Map (db m86967) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.1976.1 — St. John's Lutheran ChurchTolleston
St. John's Church, the oldest surviving institution in Gary and north of the Little Calumet River, began with the work of the Rev. Henry Wunder in the early 1860's. He regularly came from Chicago by horse and buggy. Baptism records date from 1863; . . . — Map (db m64159) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Gary — 45.2014.2 — Stewart Settlement House
Side A Stewart House was organized during depression of 1921 to provide social services for Gary’s black community. A vital neighborhood center for unemployed WWI veterans and southern blacks who migrated for jobs in steel mills, it helped . . . — Map (db m86966) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Highland — 45.1992.1 — Dutch in the Calumet Region
Dutch immigrants after 1850 began moving to this area because of its similarities to their homeland. They helped to locate ditches to drain water from the extensive marshes, leaving rich land to expand successful horticultural activities. — Map (db m64160) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Merrillville — 45.1949.1 — First Physician
Henry D. Palmer, M.D. (1809-1877) located at this site in 1836. First physician in Lake County, he was also counselor to the pioneers for 40 years and member of the underground railroad aiding escaped slaves. — Map (db m27716) HM
Indiana (Lake County), Merrillville — 45.1966.1 — Great Sauk (Sac) Trail(east-west through this point)
. . . — Map (db m27805) HM

455 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 255
Paid Advertisement