Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Minnesota Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers erected by the Minnesota Historical Society to highlight the history of the Gopher State.203 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers are listed. Next 3
 
Circle of Life Marker image, Click for more information
By K. Linzmeier, October 24, 2013
Circle of Life Marker
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Circle of Life
The Dakota and Ojibwa people believed that the confluence of two great rivers was a sacred place. The Point was used as an encampment and gathering place for several tribes. It was also a meeting place to form hunting parties going north . . . — Map (db m70897) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Highway of Exploration
The Rum and the Mississippi were highways for the earliest recorded European explorers of Minnesota. Many explorers traveled past The Point and some may have camped here including Radission, Hennepin, Du Luth, Pike, Faribault and Nicollet. . . . — Map (db m70569) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — The Stone House / Robert W. Akin
The Stone House Three stone houses were built during the 1920's by Thaddeus P. Giddings (1969-1954). Giddings was the Supervisor of Music for the Minneapolis Schools and founder of the National Music Camp in Interlachen, Michigan. The . . . — Map (db m70825) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Anoka — Why Settle Here? / Time to Play
Why Settle Here? Looking for Work Timber was a resource that drew many west and in 1847, surveyor Daniel Stanchfield noted, "Seventy mills in seventy years couldn't exhaust the white pine I have seen on the Rum River". The rivers . . . — Map (db m70982) HM
Minnesota (Anoka County), Ramsey — AN-RMC-008 — Itasca Village Townsite
Itasca grew up around an Indian trading post which was established 800 feet east of here in 1849 by Thomas A. Holmes and James Beatty. At the suggestion of Territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey, the settlement was named in honor of Lake Itasca, the . . . — Map (db m69908) HM
Minnesota (Blue Earth County), Mankato — Dakota (Sioux) Memorial – 1862
The last act of the Minnesota Dakota (Sioux) War took place here in Mankato on December 26, 1862 when thirty-eight Dakota Indians died in a mass execution on this site. The Dakota War was a culmination of years of friction between Dakota and . . . — Map (db m14195) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Courtland — The Evacuation of New Ulm
When the Second Battle of New Ulm ended on the morning of August 24, 1862, the city lay nearly in ruins. Fearing that it would surely fall if attacked again, Colonel Charles Flandrau ordered the entire city to evacuate. The next day . . . — Map (db m73792) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Essig — Taken by Surprise
In the summer of 1862, after years of broken treaty promises and late payments that fueled growing tensions and conflict, some Dakota began an attempt to forcibly reclaim their homeland. After attacking the Redwood (Lower Sioux) Agency . . . — Map (db m67915) HM WM
Minnesota (Brown County), Hanska — Lake Hanska
The Sioux Indians called this lake "minne hanska," meaning "long water." The basin of the lake was formed 11,000 to 15,000 years ago by the Wisconsin glacier; the original hard clay bottom is now about 50 feet below the present surface of the . . . — Map (db m66454) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Guardians of the Past
By the end of the fighting in New Ulm, the U.S.—Dakota War of 1862 had taken a heavy toll on the town. More than 50 settlers had been killed and 36 wounded, along with an unknown number of Dakota. In addition, at least 190 of the . . . — Map (db m74136) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), New Ulm — Harkin Store
West Newton in 1870 was a thriving town, serving riverboat travel on the Minnesota River. It consisted of a hotel, a livery stable, a brewery, a sawmill, a wagon works, two blacksmith shops, three saloons, and many dwellings that made the town an . . . — Map (db m66238) HM
Minnesota (Brown County), Sleepy Eye — Chief Sleepy Eyes(Ish-tak-ha-ba)
Sleepy Eyes, or Drooping Eyelids, was born about 1780 in a Sisseton Sioux Indian village at Swan Lake in Nicollet County. The Bureau of Indian Affairs commissioned him a chief in 1824. His fame was achieved not as a warrior or hunter but as a friend . . . — Map (db m67658) HM
Minnesota (Carlton County), Mahtowa — The Iron Range
One hundred miles north and west of Duluth lies the Iron Range. North America's largest iron ore region consists of three major iron ranges: the Vermillion, the Mesabi, and the Cuyuna. The Vermillion was the first to ship iron ore from Minnesota . . . — Map (db m44038) HM
Minnesota (Carver County), Chaska — CR-CKC-057 — Little Rapids Fur Post
By 1804 Jean B. Faribault was trading in furs for the Northwest Company near the "Little Rapids" of the Minnesota River, 5 miles south of this point, and in this vicinity. His fur post of 1824 on the site of Chaska became the nucleus for the first . . . — Map (db m41051) HM
Minnesota (Cass County), Whipholt — Sugar Point Battle
When a federal marshal with about 100 troops of the 3rd Infantry tried to arrest the Chippewa Chief Bugonaygeshig at Sugar Point opposite here on the northeast shore of the lake, a sharp fight occurred October 5, 1898. The whites lost 7 killed and . . . — Map (db m59807) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Harris — Minnesota's Arrowhead Region: A Tourist Mecca
"The North Country is a siren Who can resist her song of intricate and rich counterpoint?" (Grace Lee Nute, The Voyageur's Highway, 1941) Lured by America's premier wilderness canoe region, Lake Superior's rugged shoreline and . . . — Map (db m4948) HM
Minnesota (Chisago County), Taylors Falls — Folsom House
William Henry Carmen Folsom, St. Croix River Valley lumberman and land speculator, chose this imposing site for his home in 1854. He, his wife Mary Jane, and their two small sons lived in an open barn on this property to prove up the claim while the . . . — Map (db m44027) HM
Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — Red River Transportation / A Busy Port
Red River Transportation The Red River Trails were a set of overland routes linking the cities of Winnipeg and St. Paul and the small forts and settlements between them.

From 1820 to the 1870s, the trails were used by Metis freight drivers . . . — Map (db m100838) HM

Minnesota (Clay County), Moorhead — St, John's Episcopal Church
St. John's Episcopal Church was designed on an Elizabethan model by the noted architect, Cass Gilbert, among whose other significant buildings is the present Minnesota State Capitol. Construction of St. John's began on August 1, 1898.On February 12, . . . — Map (db m43829) HM
Minnesota (Clearwater County), Shevlin — Itasca State Park Centennial1891 - 1991
The name "Itasca" was coined specifically from the Latin words "Veritas caput" -- literally meaning "true head" -- by Henry Rowe Schoolcraft in 1832. Led by Ozawindib, an Ojibwe guide who knew the upper reaches of the Mississippi River and its . . . — Map (db m71470) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Deerwood — The Cuyuna Range
Named for entrepreneur Cuyler Adams and his faithful dog Una, the Cuyuna Ranges lies at the westernmost edge of a ring of iron ore that circles Lake Superior. The smallest of Minnesota’s three northern iron ranges, the Cuyuna was also the last to be . . . — Map (db m43934) HM
Minnesota (Crow Wing County), Fort Ripley — Fort Ripley
The establishment of Fort Ripley in 1848 represents the U.S. government’s effort to establish control on the northern frontier. Construction began on the west bank of the Mississippi River across from this point a year before Minnesota became a . . . — Map (db m43935) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Downtown Develops
As Hastings quickly grew and settlement in the area increased, this port city soon became the commercial center for Dakota County farmers. Farmers brought wagons full of crops to the Hastings market, and then returned home driving wagons full . . . — Map (db m47843) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Enjoying the River
The Mississippi River has been a source of recreation for many generations. People have long enjoyed its beauty and marveled at its power. This is more true than ever today. Boating, hiking, and bird watching all draw people to the river. In . . . — Map (db m48510) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Ignatius Donnelly's Nininger City Home
Just northwest of here, at the bottom of the hill, stood the home of Ignatius Donnelly, author, orator, politician, reformer, and prophet who was easily the best known Minnesotan of his time, both in the state and throughout the world. . . . — Map (db m65584) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Native Cultures
For more than 10,000 years, people have lived near the Mississippi River. The first cultures relied on hunting, fishing, and gathering for survival. As early as 1,000 years ago, however, Indian peoples were farming portions of the river valley near . . . — Map (db m49801) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Shaping the River
The natural river above Hastings was treacherous for steamboats, with a depth that reached only three and one-half feet in some places. The first efforts of the federal government to improve navigation of the river were wing dams (piles of . . . — Map (db m48475) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Hastings — Steamboats, Trains, and Barges
The Mississippi River has long been a major artery for trade and transportation. For thousands of years, Indians traveled on the river by canoe. By the 1850s, rivertowns like Hastings boomed as steamboats brought settlers into the region. The . . . — Map (db m48589) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — "Where the Waters Meet"
Called M'Dote or "the place where waters meet" by the Dakota, this area is central to many Dakota creation stories and is significant to Dakota people today. Just west of this site is Pilot Knob, which was used extensively for burials by the Dakota . . . — Map (db m37659) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Faribault House
In front of you stands the Faribault House, built by long-time fur trader Jean-Baptiste in 1839. Faribault was originally from the Montreal area, and had been associated with the British and American fur traders since the late 1790s. He built this . . . — Map (db m37618) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Henry Sibley and Old Mendota
The Sibley House was built in 1836 for Henry Hastings Sibley, regional manager for the American Fur Company. The first floor was designed for business operations, and the second floor was his bachelor's residence. Two additions were made to the . . . — Map (db m41358) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Mendota / Sibley House Association
Mendota This wide valley intersection between the two rivers known today as the Minnesota and Mississippi has been a meeting place for people for thousands of years. The Dakota people lived on these prairielands by the 1700s. . . . — Map (db m38269) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — Sibley House Historic Site
Welcome to the Sibley House Historic Site! This area had long been the center of travel and trade for the Dakota when it became the center for American Fur Company operations on the Upper Mississippi. It was also home to Minnesota's first governor, . . . — Map (db m41238) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota — St. Peter's Church
Here at Mendota (where the rivers meet) missionaries ministered to both Indians and settlers, enduring the hardships of a sprawling wilderness that was the Minnesota country. In 1842, Father Lucien Galtier built a small, log chapel with only two . . . — Map (db m37714) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), Mendota Heights — Mendota Work Camp No. 1
The "New Deal" During the Great Depression of the early 1930's, more than 25 percent of the nations' workforce was unemployed. One of President Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs was the Works Progress Administration . . . — Map (db m40481) HM
Minnesota (Dakota County), South Saint Paul — Kaposia Village
Here on the Mendota Trail from 1839 to 1852 stood the Sioux village of the Little Crow family. An attempted Chippewa attack in 1842 precipitated the Battle of Kaposia across the river. After the Treaty of Mendota in 1851 the band moved up the . . . — Map (db m31186) HM
Minnesota (Fillmore County), Lanesboro — Minnesota's Norwegian Americans
Like immigrants from many European nations in the mid-19th century, Norwegians left their homeland to escape overpopulation, food shortages, and farm foreclosures. They began arriving in Minnesota in the 1850s, drawn by rich farmland and job . . . — Map (db m31323) HM
Minnesota (Freeborn County), Albert Lea — Minnesota’s Roads / Welcome to Minnesota
Minnesota's Roads. "A perfect highway is a thing of beauty and joy forever," enthused a speaker at Minnesota's first "Good Roads" convention in 1893. "It blesses every home by which it passes." Early in the 1890s, even before the automobile . . . — Map (db m9911) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Frontenac — GD-FLC-056 — Fort Beauharnois
On the shore of Lake Pepin just north of here a French expedition commanded by LaPerriere and accompanied by two Jesuits in September 1727 built a substantial log fort and the mission of St. Michael the Archangel. The post was occupied periodically . . . — Map (db m45242) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Red Wing — Barn Bluff
"The most beautiful prospect that imagination can form," wrote 18th century explorer Jonathan Carver about the view from Barn Bluff. "Verdant plains, fruitful meadows, and numerous islands abound with the most varied trees.... But above all, . . . — Map (db m24816) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Vasa — Vasa: Mattson's Settlement
Founded in 1853 and called “Mattson’s Settlement” after its first resident, Hans Mattson, the community was renamed Vasa in 1856 in honor of Swedish King Gustav Vasa. Once called “the most Swedish colony in America,” . . . — Map (db m45380) HM
Minnesota (Goodhue County), Zumbrota — First Congregational Church
[cross] This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior In memory of Laura Schlasner — Map (db m49215) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Brooklyn Center — Earle Brown and the Brooklyn Farm
Although this site is known today as the Earl Brown farm, it originally belonged to Captain John Martin, who was involved in steamboating, lumbering, banking, flour milling and railroading. In the mid-1880s, he purchased 420 acres of rich Hennepin . . . — Map (db m69931) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Excelsior — Peter M. Gideon and the Wealthy Apple
In 1853, Peter Miller Gideon and his wife, Wealthy, arrived in Minnesota from Ohio and settled on the shores of Lake Minnetonka. Long interested in fruitgrowing, Peter Gideon determined to satisfy the craving of pioneer families for apples and other . . . — Map (db m59213) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Como–Harriet Streetcar Line
For 74 years this transit railway carried passengers to downtown jobs, to University of Minnesota classes, and to picnics and concerts on the shores of Lake Harriet. Steam passenger trains of the Minneapolis, Lyndale & Minnetonka Railway first . . . — Map (db m38850) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Historic Milling District
This aerial view shows the gatehouse, water power canal and adjacent mills as they appeared in 1945. They, together with similar structures on the east bank, made Minneapolis the milling capital of the nation from 1880-1930. Changes in marketing and . . . — Map (db m27169) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Minnehaha Depot
Milwaukee Road station agents affectionately referred to the quaint little Minnehaha Depot as "the Princess." Its delicate gingerbread architecture is reminiscent of the Victorian era when ladies in bustles and gentlemen in high collars traveled . . . — Map (db m17233) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — Stone Arch Bridge
"This viaduct...is the only one of its kind that spans the Father of Waters, and is one of the largest and most noteworthy in the United States. Firmer than the earth which supports it, it is constructed to stand the test of time." . . . — Map (db m27042) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Minneapolis — The Ard Godfrey House
Built in 1848, the Ard Godfrey House is the earliest frame house still standing in Minneapolis. An example of Greek Revival architecture, it originally occupied a site in the vicinity of Main and Second Streets Southeast. Ard Godfrey, a . . . — Map (db m37774) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Mound — Minnetonka -- Queen of the Inland Lakes
In May, 1822, a Fort Snelling drummer boy named Joseph R. Brown and his friend, William Snelling, son of the fort's commander, canoed up what is now called Minnehaha Creek to "discover" a lake long sacred to the Indian people who built burial mounds . . . — Map (db m59258) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — Fort Snelling 1861–1946
This historical ground was a pivotal place in the development of the Northwest. With the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861, Fort Snelling expanded its limestone walls into this area, formerly a part of the U.S. Indian Agency and the location of the . . . — Map (db m42180) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — The Prairie
A Sea of Grass In its early days Fort Snelling was surrounded by a sea of head-high grass. The vast Minnesota prairie was broken only by small groves of trees—willows, cottonwoods, and oaks that grew near creeks, lakes, and marshes. . . . — Map (db m17259) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Richfield — U.S. Army, Buildings 17 and 18
Built in 1904-05 by the U.S. Army, Buildings 17 and 18 were constructed as double barracks to house cavalry troops. By 1911 the cavalry had left Fort Snelling, but the buildings continued to house troops through the early 1940s as the post grew in . . . — Map (db m74889) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Saint Paul — Wokiksuye K'a WoyuonihanRemembering and Honoring
This memorial honors the sixteen hundred Dakota people, many of them women and children, who were imprisoned here at Fort Snelling in the aftermath of the 1862 U.S.-Dakota Conflict. Frightened, uprooted, and uncertain of the fate of their missing . . . — Map (db m50817) HM
Minnesota (Hennepin County), Shorewood — HE-SHC-022 — Christmas Lake
Named for Charles W. Christmas, first county surveyor of Hennepin County, elected in 1852, who platted the original town site of Minneapolis for John H. Stevens and Franklin Steele. This lake and Lake Minnetonka now occupy what in pre-glacial times . . . — Map (db m71571) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Atwater — Diamond Lake Camp
At the start of the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862 settlers around Columbia (now Spencer) hastily formed an oxcart train and started for the stockade at Forest City. On the way to Diamond Lake, the refugees ran into other settlers fleeing from the Eagle . . . — Map (db m77228) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Atwater — Red River Trail
The Red River Trail was the nineteenth-century answer to communication over the frontier between the early settlements on the Mississippi and Minnesota Rivers and Lord Selkirk's settlements (Winnipeg) in Canada. Trails, such as this, were not . . . — Map (db m77016) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Atwater — Wheeler Lake Camp
After fighting a running battle with the Dakota on August 20, 1862 at Diamond Lake, two groups of refugees from Spicer and Eagle Lake camped here at Wheeler's Lake. The Dakota camped across the lake from them. There were no disturbances during . . . — Map (db m77273) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Kandiyohi — Capitol Hill
Kandiyohi Town Site Corporation was organized in 1856, with John Swainson as president. By October of that year, the town site had been surveyed. David Charlton's plat indicates a large central area reserved for the State Capitol with a much smaller . . . — Map (db m78239) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Kandiyohi — John Other Day Camp
John Other Day, a Dakota who disagreed with the decision to go to war with the Whites, led a party of sixty-two white men, women and children out of danger when the Dakota attacked the Upper Sioux Agency near Granite Falls. The party left the Agency . . . — Map (db m76656) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Spicer — Gates Homestead
Joshua H. Gates arrived at Diamond Lake in 1857 where he claimed land in Sections 17 and 20 of Harrison Township. Gates may have been the first farmer in what is now Kandiyohi County. This is the site of the Joshua and Lucinda Gates family . . . — Map (db m77102) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Spicer — Olof Olson Haugen
In May 1859, Olof Olson Haugen, his wife Bergeret, and son Frederick homesteaded here in section 32, Dovre Township. Over the next three years, the Haugen family diligently worked to establish their new life; building shelter, raising crops and . . . — Map (db m77770) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Spicer — Victory Dance
Ojibwe and Dakota nations had a long history of conflict in what would become Minnesota. Both Dakota and Ojibwe people contended for the control of the abundant natural resources in the future Kandiyohi County area that played an economic role in . . . — Map (db m78028) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Sunburg — Old Log Church
Following the Civil War, immigrants flowed into the Norway Lake area with the majority from Norway and Sweden. On October 10, 1868, Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church of Norway Lake incorporated and built a log cabin worship facility at this . . . — Map (db m76700) HM
Minnesota (Kandiyohi County), Willmar — Haugen Homestead
In May 1859, Olof Olson Haugen, his wife Bergeret, and son Frederick homesteaded here in section 32, Dovre Township. Over the next three years, the Haugen family diligently worked to establish their new life; building shelter, raising crops and . . . — Map (db m77735) HM
Minnesota (Koochiching County), International Falls — Route of the Voyageurs
From the late 1600s to about 1820 the chain of waterways of which Minnesota's border lakes form a segment was the thoroughfare of a vast fur trading empire. As its longest, this water route stretched from Montreal to Lake Athabasca, and over it a . . . — Map (db m8363) HM
Minnesota (Lac qui Parle County), Montevideo — LP-CAM-003 — Camp Release
On September 26, 1862, 91 whites and about 150 mixed-blood captives, some of whom had been prisoners of the Dakota Indians for more than a month, were returned to Colonel Henry H. Sibley's military camp, later joyfully known as Camp Release. In the . . . — Map (db m69118) HM
Minnesota (Lac qui Parle County), Montevideo — Captives Released
On September 26, 1862, the 270 men, women and children taken captive by the Dakota during the war were released to military commander Henry H. Sibley at this site, known from that time on as Camp Release. Years later at the . . . — Map (db m71384) HM
Minnesota (Lac qui Parle County), Montevideo — Maza sa Protected His Village
Experience showed Dakota Chief Maza sa (Red Iron) that it did little good to stand in the way of the U.S. government. He had opposed the 1851 Treaty of Traverse des Sioux but, in the end, had little choice when he and other Dakota . . . — Map (db m71425) HM
Minnesota (Lac qui Parle County), Montevideo — Tried and Sentenced
Just two days after the captives were turned over, the brief military trials of the Dakota who had taken part in the fighting began here at Camp Release on September 28, 1862. The trials moved to the Redwood (Lower Sioux) Agency on . . . — Map (db m71437) HM
Minnesota (Lake County), Knife River — Buchanan
This town site, named after President Buchanan, was laid out in October 1856. From September 1857 until May 1859 the place though little less than wilderness, was the seat of the U.S. Land Office for the Northeastern District of Minnesota. After the . . . — Map (db m43806) HM
Minnesota (Lake County), Split Rock Lighthouse State Park — Anchor of the Madeira
This anchor was salvaged from the shipwreck of the 5000-ton steel barge, Madeira, which was tossed up against Gold Rock Point, about a quarter mile northeast of here, during the fierce storm of November 27-28, 1905. As the ship broke . . . — Map (db m78751) HM
Minnesota (Lake County), Split Rock Lighthouse State Park — Steam Hoist Engine
This concrete platform is all that remains of the building that housed the steam hoist engine that was used in constructing Split Rock Lighthouse. Everything needed for building the light station in 1909-10 came by boat. The hoist engine . . . — Map (db m78717) HM
Minnesota (Lake County), Split Rock Lighthouse State Park — The Gales of November
It's the early morning hours of November 28, 1905. Imagine yourself standing right here in the middle of one of the worst storms in Great Lakes history - 65-mile-per-hour winds, blinding snow, 30-foot waves crashing into the cliff. The . . . — Map (db m78716) HM
Minnesota (Le Sueur County), Le Sueur — Dr. William W. Mayo House
The accomplishments of the Mayo family in the field of medicine have brought fame to both its members and to Minnesota, for it was Dr. William W. Mayo and his two sons, William J. and Charles H., who founded the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, . . . — Map (db m65417) HM
Minnesota (Le Sueur County), Le Sueur — Le Sueur
Named for Pierre Charles Le Sueur, French explorer who passed the site in 1700. This town on the old Red River trail includes two towns, Le Sueur and Le Sueur City which were laid out in 1852-53 on Prairie Le Fleche about a mile apart. Consolidation . . . — Map (db m65509) HM
Minnesota (Le Sueur County), Le Sueur — Roster of the Le Sueur TigersLe Sueur Tigers · 150 Years • 1862 – 2012
Le Sueur Tigers No. 1, William Dellaughter, commander I. Allen, E. Bacon, A. Bangs, H. Bridenthall, B. Birdsall, J. Birdsall, P. Burch, N. Burgers, L. Butman, F. Butteauz, S. Carpenter, W. Case, J. Coggswell, G. Cook, B. Cosly, . . . — Map (db m65705) HM WM
Minnesota (Le Sueur County), Le Sueur — The Jolly Green Giant
In 1903, fourteen of Le Sueur's leading businessmen met in the back of the Cosgrove Harness Shop to start a canning factory. They called it the Minnesota Valley Canning Company. Sixty-seven shares of stock at one hundred dollars per share were sold . . . — Map (db m65416) HM
Minnesota (Le Sueur County), Le Sueur — The Minnesota River Valley
Geologically young when compared with ancient rivers such as the Nile or the Amazon, the Minnesota River is only about 12,000 years old. It occupies a channel that was cut by the Glacial River Warren, when it drained Glacial Lake Agassiz, the . . . — Map (db m65411) HM
Minnesota (Meeker County), Dassel — West End Elevator
   Symbolic of agriculture, Dassel's lifeline, the West End Elevator is commonly known to its users as the Dassel Farmers' Elevator. Since its construction in 1885, the area's farmers have brought their corn, oats, wheat, beans, flax, rye, and . . . — Map (db m76500) HM
Minnesota (Meeker County), Grove City — The Acton Incident
  On August 17, 1862, four young Dakota hunters, returning to their hungry families from an unsuccessful hunt, argued about stealing food from white settlers. Sungigidan, Kaomdeiyeyedan, Nagiwicakte, and Pazoiyopa dared each other this: who among . . . — Map (db m70357) HM
Minnesota (Meeker County), Litchfield — G.A.R. Hall
    The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization established in 1866 by Union veterans of the Civil War to preserve friendships, honor fallen comrades, and aid widows and the handicapped. It was wielded great political influence in the . . . — Map (db m70427) HM
Minnesota (Meeker County), Litchfield — Ness Lutheran ChurchNess Memorial Cemetery
    The first pioneers to settle in this area arrived by July, 1856, three months after their oxen-drawn prairie schooners left Rock County, Wisconsin. They were the families of Henrik H. Thoen, Ole H. Ness, Nels H. Colberg and bachelors Ole H. . . . — Map (db m92468) HM
Minnesota (Mille Lacs County), Vineland — ML-KAN-006 — IzatysVineland Historical Marker
In this vicinity stood the grand Sioux village of Izatys where Duluth planted the French arms on July 2, 1679. The settlement was visited by Father Hennepin in 1680. About 1750 the Chippewa moving westward from Lake Superior, captured the . . . — Map (db m19760) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — A Boyhood on the Mississippi
The center of Charles Lindbergh's grand boyhood adventures was the Mississippi River. Here he fished and swam, built and 'sailed" a raft, skipped across logjams, and looked across the water's wide expanse, dreaming about the future. It was in . . . — Map (db m78225) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Big White PineKing of the Forest
White pines once dominated northern Minnesota. Even in Lindbergh's time these scattered reminders of earlier eras dotted the pasture. The trunk in front of you is the remains of one of these forest giants. This white pine stood 100-feet . . . — Map (db m78229) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Lindbergh House
"I never deserted the farm as the ultimate goal of my return - and there is my home when I am home, for the farm unquestionably is the best of all places to live, and it affords the most independence." Thus wrote Congressman Charles A. . . . — Map (db m78194) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Lindbergh State Park
After Charles Lindbergh took off on his motorcycle in 1920, headed for the University of Wisconsin, he rarely came back to Little Falls. He made one visit by airplane in 1923, landing his "Jenny" - the first plane he owned - in a field near . . . — Map (db m78196) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Little Falls and the Mississippi River
For many generations, Native people lived in this area along the banks of the upper Mississippi. Later, fur traders and Christian missionaries worked among the Indians. But as early as the 1830s, white settlers and soldiers from Fort Snelling . . . — Map (db m78228) HM
Minnesota (Morrison County), Little Falls — Tenant Farmer HouseHome to Workers
This is the original Lindbergh Farm tenant farmer house, built about the same time as the Charles A. Lindbergh home, across the road to the east. Some of these farm workers brought playmates for young Charles. Somewhat isolated on the farm, . . . — Map (db m78193) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — A Doctor's Life
The Post's surgeon lived here. In addition to treating the sick and injured, the post surgeon was himself a commissioned officer, in charge of enforcing proper sanitary measures. The regular inspection of living quarters, the water supply, . . . — Map (db m71677) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — A Far Cry from Glory
Most officers in the regular army during the 1850s were professional soldiers with combat experience. Most had fought in the Mexican-American War (1846-47), and three quarters were West Point graduates. To those who had seen action in Mexico, . . . — Map (db m71768) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — A Minority in Their Homeland / U.S.-Dakota Conflict
A Minority in Their Homeland For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota . . . — Map (db m71126) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Attack from the Northeast
You are standing where cannon fire stopped the Dakota assault on August 20, 1862. According to Tasina Wakanhdi (Lightning Blanket), who was involved in both attacks on the Fort, the warriors who made the first attack on Fort Ridgely were men from . . . — Map (db m71702) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Bakehouse
Large wood-burning ovens emitted so much heat that they were housed in a special structure on this site, remote from the other fort buildings. Minnesota Historical Society Fort Ridgely Map (db m72596) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Camp Women
In 1860, there were 39 women here at the fort. Most were the wives and daughters of officers and enlisted men. Others were governesses, servants, and cooks hired by officers. Civilian women like Wilhemina Randall, the wife of the post sutler, . . . — Map (db m72751) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Economic Engine
With hundreds of men and some 175 horses, the garrison had a gargantuan appetite for wood, hay, grain, corn, and beef. Unable to meet the requirements of the post through any direct federal supply system, the War Department issued contracts to . . . — Map (db m71497) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Five Days and Nights on the River
Elden Lawrence writes about a daring rescue led by his great-grandfather, Lorenzo Lawrence: The Dakota were divided about whether to go to war with the whites. After attempts to avert the fighting proved futile, many Dakota decided to . . . — Map (db m72934) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Fort Ridgely
Fort Ridgely both contradicts and fits the popular culture stereotype of a frontier fort. Following its 1855 completion, the Fort’s primary role was to assist the federal government with an orderly transition of land ownership from American Indians . . . — Map (db m70107) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Fort Ridgely Closes
As the frontier moved westward, Fort Ridgely's importance declined. Troops were withdrawn on May 22, 1867, but the buildings and land remained the property of the federal government. Settlers pillaged the fort, carting off stone, wood, and other . . . — Map (db m73002) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Four Days From Fort Snelling
The steamer West Newton left St. Paul on April 26, 1853, transporting the first soldiers to the site of the new post. It took four days to get from Fort Snelling to Fort Ridgely. John P. Owens, passenger and editor of The . . . — Map (db m71504) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Garrison Life Was Like Clockwork
The army believed that routine promoted discipline. Soldiers were on duty six days a week from daybreak to dusk. Garrison life consisted of roll calls, inspections, parades, guard duty, weapons training, drills, and daily chores called fatigues. . . . — Map (db m71993) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Log Buildings
Five log buildings stood in a row behind the barracks. They were among the earliest structures erected at the post to serve as officers' homes until regular quarters were completed. Archaeological excavations indicate that the building in the . . . — Map (db m72801) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Officers' Latrines
In 1972 Minnesota Historical Society archaeologists excavated a row of latrines that stood behind the officers' quarters, in order to retrieve household articles disposed of during the post's active years. This excavation revealed that the . . . — Map (db m72670) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Officers' Quarters—A
The frame structure that stood here probably housed two officers and their families, much as a duplex would today. A central hall divided the building, and each half contained living, sleeping, and cooking areas. Minnesota Historical . . . — Map (db m71980) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Officers' Quarters—B
At first glance, this foundation of Officers' Quarters B appears identical to that of Officers' Quarters A. A closer look, however, reveals that this building was somewhat larger. Sketches of the two structures indicate they also had different . . . — Map (db m71854) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Officers' Quarters—C
This building was identical to Officers' Quarters B and was one of several Fort Ridgely structures excavated by G. Hubert Smith in the mid-1930s. Assisted by unemployed World War I veterans from the Works Progress Administration, Smith not only . . . — Map (db m71625) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Powder Magazines
This original log powder magazine, and another one similar to it, stood across the road in front of you when Fort Ridgely was an active military post. These buildings were used for storing ammunition and unused weapons. During the 1862 battles, a . . . — Map (db m71726) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Reinforcements Arrive
Soldiers and civilian refugees peered anxiously in this direction, fearing another attack and praying for help. The garrison had dug entrenchments and built an earthen wall south of the fort. Barricades on all sides had been strengthened. During . . . — Map (db m71599) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Stone Barracks
The immense stone barracks was the most impressive building at Fort Ridgely. Measuring 235 feet by 40 feet and two stories high, it could house as many as 400 enlisted men. Its two-foot-thick walls were made of rectangular granite blocks set in . . . — Map (db m72209) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Surgeon's Quarters—Headquarters
Fort Ridgely's commandant and its surgeon lived with their families in the structure on this site. A central hallway divided the quarters into two separate living units. The building was destroyed by fire in 1865. Minnesota Historical . . . — Map (db m71667) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Surprise Attack at Redwood Ferry
On the morning of August 18, 1862, Captain John Marsh, 46 soldiers, and interpreter Peter Quinn left the fort to respond to news of violence at Lower Sioux Agency. After an 11-mile march, the soldiers prepared to cross the Minnesota River at the . . . — Map (db m71633) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — This Fort Had a Purpose
Fort Ridgely served as a buffer between Dakota Indians on the reservations and white settlers pouring into the Minnesota River valley. Soldiers stationed here enforced treaty agreements and protected the Dakota from intrusions onto their . . . — Map (db m71197) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), Fairfax — Who Lived in the Barracks?
Most soldiers at Fort Ridgely were low-ranking enlisted men, and before 1861 most of these were foreign-born. Out of 166 enlisted men in the 1860 census, 70 were from Ireland, 34 from Germany, ten from Great Britain, and 33 from the United . . . — Map (db m72429) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — "Only a Memory Now"
In 1856 a new town thrived where you are now standing. Traverse des Sioux had five taverns, two hotels, several churches, and even a brewery—some 70 buildings in all—and a population that at one time reached about 300. But . . . — Map (db m75762) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — A Minority in Their Homeland
For generations, the land stretching out around you was the homeland of the Dakota Indians. Through treaties in 1851, the Dakota sold all of their land in southern Minnesota. The treaties disregarded Dakota people's traditional decision-making . . . — Map (db m71537) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — A River Crossroad
For centuries animals and people used the solid footing and shallow water at Traverse des Sioux as a natural river crossing. In time the crossing became a place for people to meet and trade goods. European fur traders were quick to see the . . . — Map (db m73945) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Archaeology
Archaeology is the recovery and study of material evidence, such as remainders of pottery, to help us learn about people and places of the past. In 1994 the Minnesota Historical Society conducted a survey to map and excavate the . . . — Map (db m78179) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Ecakensdonyapi
Here, for countless generations, Dakota people followed the traditional ways of their ancestors. Living close to the land, they learned how to read nature's signs and developed an intimate understanding of the habitats and growth cycles of . . . — Map (db m77896) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Exploring the River Valley
Although European traders reached this area in 1695, it was not systematically mapped until the late 1830s. The mapmaker was Joseph Nicollet, a French astronomer and cartographer who led two government-sponsored expeditions into what is now . . . — Map (db m74990) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Fur Trader Louis Provencalle
Because of its importance as a river crossing, Traverse des Sioux was a major distribution point for the fur trade. As early as the 1770s, the Dakota were trading here for guns, blankets, and kettles. One prominent local trader was the . . . — Map (db m76158) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Land-Seas
Imagine standing in this spot 150 years ago. It would have looked very different than it does today. To the west (your left) was a rolling prairie — vast, nearly treeless grasslands. In the summer the prairie would be ablaze with . . . — Map (db m77940) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Ministering to the Dakota
The Reverend Stephen Riggs and his wife, Mary, arrived at Traverse des Sioux in 1843 to establish a Protestant mission for the Dakota. He and other missionaries believed they had a duty to convert Indians to Christianity. Their efforts . . . — Map (db m78112) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — The Eugene St. Julien Cox House
In 1871, Eugene St. Julien Cox, a man of eccentric tastes and "great vigor of mind" built this picturesque neo-Gothic Italianate house noted for its towered cupola, small balconies, and carved eaves. Cox began his law career in 1857 and built a . . . — Map (db m65464) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — The Rush for Land
The signing of the 1851 treaty was the signal for settlers and speculators to rush into the new territory. Here, between 1852 and 1855, several town sites were laid out for sale. The first outfit to offer land was the Traverse des Sioux . . . — Map (db m75224) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — The Treaty of Traverse des Sioux
Near this place on July 23, 1851, the Sisseton and Wahpeton bands of the Dakota sold 21 million acres of land to the federal government for $1,665,000—about 7.5 cents per acre. The Dakota, hoping to ensure a future for their children, . . . — Map (db m71152) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Traverse des Sioux
This ancient fording place, the "Crossing of the Sioux," was on the heavily traveled trail from St. Paul and Fort Snelling to the upper Minnesota and Red River valleys. Here, on June 30, 1851, Governor Alexander Ramsey, Commissioner of Indian . . . — Map (db m65557) HM
Minnesota (Nicollet County), St. Peter — Welcome to Traverse des Sioux
On July 23, 1851, a treaty was signed here that transferred millions of acres of Dakota land to the U.S. government. The treaty also resulted in the Sisseton and Wahpeton Dakota bands' movement to reservation lands along the Minnesota River. . . . — Map (db m79309) HM
Minnesota (Nobles County), Adrian — Military Highways
As the State was explored and settled by Euroamericans, it became necessary to connect one place of settlement to another. The Native Americans had numerous trails that they used, some of which had developed from animal paths. The Fur traders and . . . — Map (db m34464) HM
Minnesota (Pine County), Pine City — Pine City
Plotted in 1869, was named from the Chippewa word "Chengwatana" City of Pines. It was a rough lumberjack town in the early days. From here, logs were floated down the Snake River into the St. Croix River to Stillwater. A rich deposit of copper was . . . — Map (db m44032) HM
Minnesota (Pine County), Sandstone — Lumbering in Minnesota
Lumbering first arrived in this area in the 1830s, logging the white and red pine stands along the St. Croix River. Sawmills were few and much of the pine lumber was floated down the St. Croix to the Mississippi River and on to other states. Logging . . . — Map (db m5105) HM
Minnesota (Pine County), Willow River — Christopher C. Andrews, Conservation Pioneer
In the 1880's, when General Christopher C. Andrews began urging the state to consider the future of its forested lands, most Minnesotans could not believe that there might ever be a shortage of timber. But by the time of his death in 1922 the vast . . . — Map (db m5288) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — Fountain Cave
Fountain Cave, a landmark known as early as 1811, was named for the sparkling creek that flowed from its mouth and continued some 375 feet through a ravine to join the Mississippi River about 140 feet downstream from this marker. The cave attracted . . . — Map (db m42305) HM
Minnesota (Ramsey County), Saint Paul — James J. Hill / The James J. Hill House
James J. Hill "Most men who have really lived here have had, in some shape, their great adventure. This railway is mine," wrote James J. Hill to the Great Northern Railway employees upon his retirement in 1912. Throughout his long working . . . — Map (db m31496) HM
Minnesota (Redwood County), Morton — Mdewakanton Ehdakupi Wanagi MakoceMdewakanton Repatriation Burial Site
  De oyanke ed Mdwakanton Dakota wicantancan ehdakupi kin hena wicaliapi.   Hena 1862 U.S. - Dakota okicize iyohakab tamakoce etan wicakaliapi.   Dena oyate wicatancan ehdakupi he, he Dakota tona waniyetu ota, Minisota Makobaspe . . . — Map (db m70158) HM
Minnesota (Redwood County), Morton — St. Cornelia's Church
  A center of Mdewakanton Dakota community life for several generations, St. Cornelia's Episcopal Church is a symbol of Dakota continuity in the homeland from which they once were exiles. In 1987 the remains of 31 Dakota who died in an Iowa . . . — Map (db m70182) HM
Minnesota (Redwood County), Redwood Falls — Wowinape or Thomas Wakeman(1846 – 1886)
Near this spot lie the remains of Wowinape (Place of Refuge), a survivor of the Dakota War of 1862. Wowinape was the son of Taoyateduta (His Red Nation), known to whites as Little Crow, spokesman and leader of the Dakota in that tragic war. In July, . . . — Map (db m69792) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Delhi — Only Two Survived
Mary Schwandt and her brother August were the only two of their extended family of nine who survived the terrible six week long war now usually named the United States - Dakota Conflict of 1862. During Mary's captivity with the Dakota . . . — Map (db m71301) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Fairfax — A Second Wave of Attacks
The Dakota plan of attack on August 22 was the same as on the 20th—a volley of three shots from the north, followed by a rush of warriors from the east, south, and west. The plan was disrupted again when a mail carrier was spotted on the . . . — Map (db m71646) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — "A Beautiful Place to Encamp"
"It was a beautiful place to encamp, but it proved an unfortunate one for us, as the enemy had the advantage both of the timber and hill for protection."                                             Joseph Anderson To . . . — Map (db m71481) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — “The Fight Was On”
"One of the sentinels fired. The shot was followed by a heavy volley from the Indians, which...killed and wounded several of our men and the fight was on."                                             Joseph Anderson . . . — Map (db m71554) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — After the Battle
"Soon after the battle I, with many others who had taken part in the war, surrendered to Gen. Sibley."                                                 Wamditanka "As soon as I surrendered I was thrown in prison," . . . — Map (db m71612) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — RN-BCO-004 — Battle of Birch Coulee
On the prairie half a mile east of this point, a party of about 160 troops was attacked by Sioux at dawn, Sept. 2, 1862. During the battle, the force was surrounded for thirty hours, losing over a third of its number in killed and wounded. . . . — Map (db m67451) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Battle Scars
All our horses, both cavalry and transportation horses, were either killed or so badly wounded as to make them unfit for service."                                                 Joseph Anderson Tethered to wagons on the . . . — Map (db m71575) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Battle Tactics
"It was concluded to surround the camp that night and attack it at daylight. We felt sure we could capture it."                                                 Wamditanka After the Dakota scouts spotted Anderson's men . . . — Map (db m71510) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Dakota Positions
"We had no difficulty in surrounding the camp. The pickets were only a little way from it."                                                 Wamditanka No soldiers would have attempted to climb this hill during the battle. . . . — Map (db m71551) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Minnesota's Civil War
In the late summer of 1862, the land on which you're standing was a war zone. The causes of that war had been brewing for decades. In treaties signed between 1805 and 1858, the Dakota nation ceded much of its land to the U.S. government. By . . . — Map (db m71337) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Redwood Ferry
On a summer day in 1862 the Redwood Ferry landing on the Minnesota River below this point was the scene of the first attack against military troops in one of America's most tragic Indian wars. Early in the morning of August 18, 1862, a large . . . — Map (db m68897) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Surrounded at the Coulee
This monument was dedicated in 1894 as a testament to U.S. soldiers and civilians who fought and died in the Battle of Birch Coulee. The U.S.–Dakota Conflict of 1862 started when Dakota Indians, frustrated over broken treaty . . . — Map (db m70848) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — The Battle Ends
On the second day of the fight, we were reinforced...which ended one of the hardest and best fought battles known."                                                 Joseph Anderson Early in the afternoon of September 3, . . . — Map (db m71590) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — The Battle of Birch Coulee
Just before sunrise on September 2, 1862, the sharp crack of a warning shot signaled the start of the Battle of Birch Coulee. One of the bloodiest battles of the U.S.-Dakota War was fought here. For a day and a half, this place echoed . . . — Map (db m71159) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — The Prairie Factor
"I led my men up from the west through the grass and took up a position 200 yards from the camp behind a small knoll."                                     Wamditanka You are standing where Wamditanka and his band took . . . — Map (db m71532) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — The Story of the Land
Before the Battle When glaciers receded from this region thousands of years ago, they left behind huge rivers and lakes in a broad valley. Over time, the valley became filled with tallgrass prairies, small lakes, and the waterway known . . . — Map (db m71445) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Two Men, One War
The story of Birch Coulee is told vividly by the men who fought here. As you move along this trail, you will follow the stories of two men: Joseph Anderson, a captain in the U.S. Army, and Wamditanka (Big Eagle), a Mdewakanton chief. . . . — Map (db m71459) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Morton — Wrong Place, Wrong Time
"When the men in advance reached Little Crow's village...they saw a column of mounted men and some wagons...going eastward."                               Wamditanka The "men in advance" were Dakota scouts. According to . . . — Map (db m71472) HM
Minnesota (Renville County), Sacred Heart — The Joseph R. Brown House
A Grand and Luxurious Home This was the first house built of quarried granite in the Minnesota River valley during the 1860s. Most structures then were cabins or small wooden frame houses. Brick and stone structures had been built at . . . — Map (db m69465) HM
Minnesota (Rice County), Nerstrand — Thomas Anderson Veblen and Kari Bunde Veblen Farmstead / History of the Veblen Farmstead
Thomas Anderson Veblen and Kari Bunde Veblen Farmstead From 1866 to 1893 this farmstead was the home of the Veblen family one of the most prominent Norwegian immigrant families of the nineteenth century. The most distinguishing trait of . . . — Map (db m49376) HM
Minnesota (Rice County), Northfield — A Flour Milling Revolution
In the 1870s and 1880s, important changes took place inside several small flour mills in southeastern Minnesota. Those changes laid the groundwork for a technological revolution that made Minnesota's milling industry the largest in the world. . . . — Map (db m26200) HM
Minnesota (Roseau County), Warroad — Fort St. Charles
Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, Sieur de La Verendrye, established Fort St. Charles on Lake of the Woods in 1732. A daring soldier, fir trader, and explorer, La Verendrye had the ambitious dream of finding the fabled "Western Sea" and sought to . . . — Map (db m8375) HM
Minnesota (Roseau County), Warroad — Warroad
The name Warroad bespeaks the Indian heritage of this town, once one of the largest Chippewa villages on Lake of the Woods. The Chippewa fought a long and fierce war against the Sioux for the lake's rice fields. Occupying the prairies of the Red . . . — Map (db m8420) HM
Minnesota (Scott County), New Market — The Big Woods
When the first explorers came to what became Minnesota, they found a land with three very different personalities. To the north were the great forests of white pine and other conifers that later attracted armies of lumberjacks and made Minnesota a . . . — Map (db m15380) HM
Minnesota (Scott County), Shakopee — SC-SPC-069 — Pond Mission
These foundations mark the site of a two-story frame building erected by the Reverend Samuel W. Pond in 1847. It served as a Presbyterian mission to the Shakopee Sioux, and as Pond's home until his death in 1891. An eight-foot stockade enclosed the . . . — Map (db m19789) HM
Minnesota (Sibley County), Henderson — Exiled from Their Homeland
In November of 1862, after the fighting of the U.S.-Dakota War had drawn to a close, those who had not engaged in battle — mostly women and children — were taken overland by U.S. soldiers from the Redwood (Lower Sioux) . . . — Map (db m73578) HM
Minnesota (Sibley County), Henderson — The U.S.–Dakota War of 1862
The Minnesota River Valley was ripe for conflict in 1862. Tensions between the Dakota people and the U.S. government had long been brewing over broken treaty promises and dramatic changes to Dakota traditional lifestyles. Focused on . . . — Map (db m73545) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUT-002 — Clifton–French River
Clifton, first townsite surveyed in the United States section of the North Shore, was platted west of the mouth of the French River in 1855. The river was known to early explorers as Riviere des Francais. Rumors of nearby copper deposits resulted . . . — Map (db m43766) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — SL-DUL-242 — Fond du Lac
Fond du Lac was incorporated in 1857 and became a part of the City of Duluth in 1895. This is the site of a major Chippewa Indian settlement from the sixteenth through the nineteenth centuries and is situated on the early canoe route along the St. . . . — Map (db m43723) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Duluth — Minnesota's Oldest Concrete Pavement
The streets of this Duluth neighborhood are the first concrete pavements constructed in Minnesota. They were built of portland cement concrete in 1909 and 1910 and ushered in the era of modern roads and streets in the state. A distinctive feature of . . . — Map (db m44081) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Eveleth — A Three-Way Continental Divide
A drop of rain water falling here in the Giants Range, a rare three-way continental divide, may flow either north into icy Hudson Bay, east into the Atlantic Ocean, or south into the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. From the north slope of . . . — Map (db m3048) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Hibbing — Hull-Rust-Mahoning Mine
It has been called the “Grand Canyon of the North”—a fitting title for the world’s largest open pit iron mine. The Hull-Rust-Mahoning pit actually began as separate mines, named for their owners, first dug in 1895, that gradually . . . — Map (db m2833) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Independence — The Fires of Autumn 1918
Marker Front: The Cloquet-Moose Lake forest fire of October 12-13, 1918, which almost reached this location, was one of the most destructive forest fires in Minnesota's recorded history. Like other major fires, this one took place on . . . — Map (db m21024) HM
Minnesota (St. Louis County), Proctor — Minnesota’s Seaport / Welcome to Minnesota
Minnesota’s Seaport. More than three billion tons of iron ore, along with millions of tons of grain, lumber, fish, and coal, have passed through the Duluth-Superior harbor since the beginning of Minnesota’s Iron Age. The first ore from the rich . . . — Map (db m3094) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Avon — Charles Lindbergh’s Minnesota Roots
When Charles Lindbergh landed his airplane on May 21, 1927, after becoming the first person to fly solo and non-stop from New York to Paris, he instantly became a national hero. His background and boyhood in Minnesota prepared him well for this . . . — Map (db m85788) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Clearwater — Exploring The Mississippi Headwaters
After the American Revolution, the 1783 Treaty of Paris, signed by those representing the American Colonies and Great Britain, sought to establish the boundary of the new country. In the middle of the continent the boundary was to run east to west . . . — Map (db m69746) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Collegeville — St. John's Abbey and University
St. John's Abbey was founded in 1856 on the west bank of the Mississippi near St. Cloud and permanently located in the Indianbush, now Collegeville, on the shore of Lake Sagatagan in 1866. St. John's was the first Benedictine abbey in the Upper . . . — Map (db m78128) HM
Minnesota (Stearns County), Sauk Centre — Sinclair Lewis
When Harry Sinclair Lewis was born here on a bitter cold February 7, 1885, Sauk Centre was a raw prairie town with an unpaved main street and five or six blocks of false fronts. A gawky, sensitive child who achieved little success in school and was . . . — Map (db m43828) HM
Minnesota (Steele County), Owatonna — Minnesota State Schools
During its first session in 1858 the Minnesota State Legislature established the first of several schools for the training and care of citizens who suffered mental and physical disabilities and for children who were unable to care for themselves. . . . — Map (db m26252) HM
Minnesota (Steele County), Owatonna — National Farmer's Bank of Owatonna
Banker Carl Bennett wanted more than a prominent new building to house his family's business. He wanted a work of art. Bennett's search for an architect led him in 1906 to Louis Sullivan, one of the country' most inventive designers. Together they . . . — Map (db m23241) HM
Minnesota (Todd County), Long Prairie — The Winnebago Agency 1846–1855
America's westward expansion came at the expense of the American Indians. Tribes were relocated as the tide of European settlement reached their traditional homelands, and the treaties negotiated with them were seldom long lasting or satisfying to . . . — Map (db m89889) HM
Minnesota (Traverse County), Brown Valley — Browns Valley Man
On October 9, 1933, William H. Jensen, an amateur archaeologist, uncovered the badly broken skeleton of a man in a gravel pit on the plateau visible about ½ mile south of this marker. The plateau was formed as an island in the ancient River . . . — Map (db m93964) HM
Minnesota (Wabasha County), Lake City — WB-LKC-093 — Historic Lake Pepin: Birthplace of Waterskiing
"I decided that if you could ski on snow, you could ski on water." In 1922, after first trying barrel staves, then snow skis, eighteen year old Ralph W. Samuelson succeeded in waterskiing on eight foot long pine boards, steamed in boiling water to . . . — Map (db m45308) HM
Minnesota (Wabasha County), Reads Landing — Lake Pepin
"City dwellers need go no farther than this if they seek romantic solitude,” wrote panorama artist Henry Lewis in 1848. “One cannot imagine a more lovely expanse of water than Lake Pepin in quiet, clear weather, and no wilder scene than . . . — Map (db m45318) HM
Minnesota (Wabasha County), Reads Landing — WB-PEP-012 — Lake Pepin
Lake Pepin occupies the Mississippi Valley above this point for a distance of 22 miles. The lake is formed by the delta of the Chippewa River which enters the Mississippi directly east of this site. The Chippewa, a relatively small river, has a . . . — Map (db m45700) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Forest Lake — Ribbons of Steel
Railroads were charted in Minnesota as early as 1853, but it was not until 1862 that Minnesota's first railroad began to operate on ten miles of track connecting St. Paul with St. Anthony (now part of Minneapolis). In 1870, the Northern Pacific . . . — Map (db m5289) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Lakeland — The St. Croix River Valley / Welcome to Minnesota
The St. Croix River Valley Forming a long stretch of the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin, the St. Croix is one of America's most scenic Wild Rivers. Its valley is sometimes referred to as the "New England of the West." Along with the . . . — Map (db m3093) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Boom, Then Bust
"From here, the first log in the race, Went forth to seek a dwelling place." Harriet Bishop, Minnesota, Then and Now, 1869 The St. Croix River ranked second only to the Mississippi as a carrier of logs and . . . — Map (db m54391) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Marine
In 1857 these millstones were installed at Marine in one of the early flour and grist mills of Minnesota Territory. Water from a stream south of this site was conveyed by a race or flume to furnish power for the overshot mill wheel. Later, rollers . . . — Map (db m28509) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Marine
The first commercial sawmill in Minnesota was erected 300 feet east of here in 1838. The lumbering industry, which monopolized the minds and talents of men in the St. Croix Valley for three-quarters of a century, was born with the erection of this . . . — Map (db m28535) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Marine Mill Site
One of Minnesota's first major industries was born here on August 24, 1839, when the slow, cumbersome up-and-down saw of the Marine Lumber Company cut the first commercial lumber in the state from trees felled in the rich white pine forests of the . . . — Map (db m45392) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Minnesota's First Commercial Sawmill
Sawmilling began here on August 24, 1839, when the Marine Lumber Company cut its first pine log. In the autumn of 1838 two lumbermen from Marine, Illinois, David Hone and Lewis Judd, arrived in the St. Croix River valley, attracted by it's . . . — Map (db m51703) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Powerhouse and Kiln
Sawmills cut logs into rough boards. The boards were then planed and smoothed to emerge as finished lumber. To your left are the remains of the planing-mill powerhouse. The square stone at the bottom of the ruin once supported a 50-horsepower . . . — Map (db m54832) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — Technological Revolution
"... a lonely and forgotten reminder of the hopes of men and of the lusty lumber industry which did much to build an expanding America." James Taylor Dunn, The St. Croix: Midwest Border River, 1979 The stone ruins . . . — Map (db m54137) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — The Marine Township Hall
The Marine Township Hall was constructed in 1872 as a meeting hall and jail. The building was erected on property donated by Orange Walker. Its construction was financed by Morgan May who took the town's bonds for the necessary $2,000. Members of . . . — Map (db m45939) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Marine on St. Croix — The Pineries are Gone
A Great Pine Forest The St. Croix River valley's sandy loam soil is ideal for growing pine. In the 19th century its forests were filled with white pines. Many of them were two to three hundred years old, four to five feet in . . . — Map (db m55015) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — Lake St. Croix
Waters from merging glaciers several thousand years' ago carved deep valleys for the St. Croix and Mississippi Rivers. Deprived of the glacial waters the rivers were so reduced in volume and carrying power that they were unable to maintain clear . . . — Map (db m16148) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — Minnesota Territory 1849 – 1858 / Washington County Takes Shape
Minnesota Territory 1849 – 1858 On March 3, 1849, during his last hours in office, President James K. Polk signed a bill adding a new name to the American political landscape – Minnesota Territory. A vast land, it stretched from . . . — Map (db m43908) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — WA-SWT-004 — St. Croix Boom Site
Center of log and lumbering activities in this region for over half a century prior to 1914. Here millions of logs from the upper St. Croix and tributaries were halted, sorted, and rafted, later to be sawed into lumber and timber products. More . . . — Map (db m44673) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — WA-SWC-714 — Tamarack House
Here in 1839, in Crawford County, Wisconsin Territory, Joseph R. Brown, first settler of this valley, laid out the town of Dahcotah. The following year as a member of the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature, Brown secured passage of a bill setting up . . . — Map (db m43754) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — The Warden's House
In 1849, the Governor of the new Territory of Minnesota, Alexander Ramsey, urged the Territorial Legislature to provide for a "proper and safe place of confinement" for prisoners of the territory. Because of Ramsey's request, the Legislature . . . — Map (db m43747) HM
Minnesota (Washington County), Stillwater — Washington County Courthouse
Minnesota's first courthouse, a three-room frame structure erected at the corner of 4th and Chestnut Street in Stillwater in 1849, had become inadequate by 1866. On November 6 of that year, Washington County voters approved funds for the . . . — Map (db m43865) HM
Minnesota (Winona County), Dresbach — Minnesota’s “Fashionable Tour” / Welcome to Minnesota
Minnesota’s “Fashionable Tour.” In the years between 1835 and 1860, steamboats from St. Louis and the Illinois river towns of Rock Island and Galena carried hundreds of tourists up the Mississippi River past “a thousand bluffs . . . — Map (db m8617) HM

203 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 3
Paid Advertisement