Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Missouri, Clay County Historic Landmarks Historical Markers

Markers placed by the Clay County (MO) Historical Society to recognize county landmarks.
 
Antioch Church Marker image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 29, 2015
Antioch Church Marker
Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Antioch Church Clay County Historic Landmark

Congregation established in 1853 by Rev. Moses E. Lard as Christian Church. Building constructed 1859. Has served since as worship and social center. Reorganized as Community Church 1930. Building moved and [illegible] by Antioch Church . . . — Map (db m86639) HM

Missouri (Clay County), Kansas City — Woodneath Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Homeplace settled by Elbridge Arnold in 1838, home built in 1856. Family home of William A. Crouch 1922 until it became the home of Edwin Yancey Crouch in 1940. — Map (db m49819) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Kearney — James Farm
Home of Rev. Robert James, Baptist minister who came here in 1840. Son Jesse was born here and with his brother Frank, were involved with the Bushwhackers in criminal escapades until Jesse was killed in 1882. Frank surrendered and lived with his . . . — Map (db m59638) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Bell-Pharis House — Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark —
Built by Daniel Bell in 1858, an impressive ante-bellum mansion, restored by present owner, Donald Pharis, who also re-erected an early day log cabin here from nearby Richmond. — Map (db m80964) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Boggess Hardware Store Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This property built in c.1895 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1993 Formerly the Messick Hotel, was purchased by Sterling Price Boggess in 1902 and . . . — Map (db m68155) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Clay County Historical Museum Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Drugstore built in 1877 by Daniel Hughes. Owned by Wm. Goodson after 1908. Operated by Joseph Simmons until 1945, then by Clarence Ferril. Purchased from Goodson estate complete with furnishings by Historical Museum in 1965. Walnut cabinets are . . . — Map (db m68128) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — First Court House Site Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Originally John Owens' log tavern near Liberty Spring. Used for court sessions until 1831, when the permanent court house was built on the square. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68310) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Goldman-Duckworth House Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
"Steamboat Gothic" design, circa 1870's. Owned by Manheim Goldman, the first permanent Jewish settler in the metropolitan area who operated a store in Liberty. Twice Mayor of Liberty, a founder and chief benefactor of the Odd Fellows Home. . . . — Map (db m68239) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Jesse James Bank Museum Clay County Historical Society Historical Landmark
Built in 1858, only ante-bellum building remaining on the square. Originally housed a branch of the Farmer's Bank. Scene of first daylight robbery in 1866, supposedly by James-Younger gang. Restored to original appearance by Jack Wymore. . . . — Map (db m68210) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Presbyterian Church Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1829, first building on this site in 1852, present one in 1888. Additions follow the same architectural pattern. This was the first "Old School" Presbyterian in the County. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68241) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Liberty Tribune Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Established by Robert Hugh Miller in 1846, and continually published since. Oldest weekly newspaper west of the Mississippi River. Has had several locations. Bough by Townsend Publications. Bicentennial 1976 — Map (db m68212) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — Methodist Episcopal Church Founded 1822 Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
This small frame church was built circa 1842 and is one of the oldest remaining buildings in Liberty. It is build of brick and stucco and has served several uses. In 1855 it became part of the Clay Seminary, an all girls school. One of its most . . . — Map (db m45678) HM
Missouri (Clay County), Liberty — St. Luke A.M.E. Church Clay County Historical Society Historic Landmark
Organized in 1875 by Rev. Jesse Mills. First church built in 1876. Present structure dedicated 1942 under pastorate Rev. A.G. Thurman, who also supervised construction. 104th anniversary celebrated 1979 under Rev. Jack Wills. — Map (db m68240) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement