Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher Historical Markers

Francis Asbury (1745-1816) was one of the first two bishops of the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States. Beginning in 1771 he devoted his life to ministry, traveling on horseback and by carriage thousands of miles to those living on the frontier.
 
Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Cemetery image, Click for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Cemetery
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-70 — Site of Dover's First Methodist Church
In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members acquired a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard . . . — Map (db m39065) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-79 — Wesley United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the establishment of a Methodist society in Dover in 1778. Land on North Street was obtained in 1782, and a brick chapel was completed there in 1784. Bishops Francis Asbury and Richard Whatcoat, . . . — Map (db m39100) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-65 — Site of Milford's First Methodist Church
The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at . . . — Map (db m36888) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in the 1770’s. Meetings were held in private homes before a frame structure was built here circa 1786 on land provided by Col. Allan McLane, . . . — Map (db m39027) HM
Delaware (New Castle County), Townsend — NC-117 — Old Union Methodist Church
A log church was built here in 1789 on land donated by Joseph Dickinson. The church was named "Dickinson's Chapel" in his honor. Francis Asbury and many other pioneers of American Methodism conducted services here. Levi Scott, a native of this area . . . — Map (db m10608) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Bridgeville — Sudler House
Erected about 1750, with additions during the Federal period. Land was granted to Cacilus Stevens in 1658. Francis Asbury preached here. William Jessop, an early occupant, was a pioneer Methodist missionary in Canada. From 1833 to 1971 the Sudler . . . — Map (db m38653) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Georgetown — SC -117 — Wesley United Methodist
This congregation’s beginnings can be traced to a visit from Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury to a gathering of farm families at the home of Abraham Harris on September 24, 1779. A prominent local landowner, Mr. Harris later conveyed a . . . — Map (db m49020) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC- 150 — Mount Pleasant Methodist Church
The origin of this church can be traced to the organization of a local society of Methodists in 1778. The first meetings of the group, then known as the Broad Creek Society, were held in the homes of its members. On October 19, 1779, . . . — Map (db m60624) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Lewes — Old Bethel Church
Built in 1790 as a meeting place for Methodists, this structure originally stood at third and Market Streets and consisted of one large room with an end gallery (slave box). In 1828 it was moved to Church and Mulberry Streets and enlarged to . . . — Map (db m48916) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Milford — SC-115 — Slaughter Neck United Methodist Church
The history of this congregation can be traced to the early days of Methodism in this country. In 1777 a group of area residents gathered at the home of a “Mr. Shockely” to organize a local Methodist “Society.” While visiting . . . — Map (db m38623) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), near Whitesville — SC- 104 — Line United Methodist Church
On January 31, 1785, Planner Shores sold a one acre lot to the trustees of the local Methodist Society. A part of a tract known as “Pleasant Grove”, the land was located on the border of Delaware and Maryland. The deed . . . — Map (db m49925) HM
Delaware (Sussex County), Oak Grove — S-64 — Bethel Church
Francis Asbury established a congregation at home of White Brown in this vicinity in 1778. The original church known as Brown’s Chapel was built 1781, completed 1806 by White Brown, Lemuel Davis, and Jacob Kinder. Early preachers here were . . . — Map (db m60595) HM
District of Columbia (Washington), Mount Pleasant — 1 of 17 — Fashionable 16th StreetVillage in the City — Mount Pleasant Heritage Trail
Today's 16th Street from the White House to Silver Spring, Maryland is one of the city's key gateways. But through the 1890s it jogged left where Mt. Pleasant Street runs today and then dead-ended at the edge of today's Rock Creek Park. After . . . — Map (db m17138) HM
Georgia (Bulloch County), Donegal — 016-1 — Union Meeting House(Organized 1790)
Three miles east of this point, on the old River Road, is located Union Meeting House (Methodist), the oldest church in Bulloch county, and one of the oldest churches in Georgia remaining continuously active since its organization. Title was . . . — Map (db m10890) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 1812 Wesley Chapel
Savannah Methodism's first church building was erected on this corner of Lincoln and South Broad (now Oglethorpe) streets in 1812 by its first pastor, Rev. James Russell. Bishop Francis Asbury preached twice in Wesley Chapel on November 21, 1813. In . . . — Map (db m5447) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Barnard House
This federal style house was constructed in the late Eighteenth Century as the residence of William Barnard, nephew of Sir John Barnard who, while serving in the British Parliament distinguished himself as a patron of the Georgia Colony The . . . — Map (db m9166) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — 025-67 — Trinity Methodist Church
Mother Church of Savannah Methodism Trinity Church is the oldest Methodist Church in a city whose intimate association with John Wesley and George Whitefield gives it a unique place in the history of Methodism. The cornerstone of the . . . — Map (db m5478) HM
Georgia (Chatham County), Savannah — Wesley Chapel Trinity / John Wesley's American Parish
WESLEY CHAPEL TRINITY In 1812 The Methodist Church in Savannah was formally established with the founding of Wesley Chapel at Lincoln & Oglethorpe Streets. Bishop Francis Asbury dedicated that building in 1813. In 1848 the congregation built . . . — Map (db m13616) HM
Georgia (Elbert County), Elberton — 052--10 — Coldwater Methodist Church
In the late 1770’s, a large caravan of Virginians, including a Methodist preacher, traveling south in search of a new home, settled in this neighborhood. In the company were the Adams, Alexander, Banks, Cunningham, Fleming, Anderson, Gaines, . . . — Map (db m37363) HM
Georgia (Franklin County), Carnesville — 059-4 — Carroll’s Methodist Church< ---- 2 mi. ---- <<<
This church, instituted in 1797, was named for the Wm. Carroll family, among its first members. The present building, erected about 1835, was restored in 1951-52 under the leadership of Bishop John H. Baker. Rev. Nelson Osborn (1797-1873) was a . . . — Map (db m58796) HM
Georgia (Greene County), White Plains — 066-11 — Liberty Chapel
About 1786, John Bush built a brush arbor as a community center for camp meeting at what was then called “Crackers Neck.” From this grew Liberty Chapel, “Cradle of Methodism” for this section. In 1797, Rev. James Jenkins, . . . — Map (db m23083) HM
Georgia (Hancock County), Sparta — 070-10 — Pierce Memorial Methodist Church
The first regular appointment for Sparta as a preaching place on a circuit was in 1799 with George Dougherty, one of the great preachers of the period as pastor. In 1802, Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the courthouse. In 1806, the South . . . — Map (db m48905) HM
Georgia (Richmond County), Augusta — 121-45 — Two Early Augusta Churches
St. John Methodist Church was founded in 1798 by Stith Mead, a young Virginia minister who denounced the worldliness of fun-loving Augusta. Biship Francis Asbury visited the church and watched its growth with particular interest. Augustus B. . . . — Map (db m10200) HM
Georgia (Screven County), Girard — 1827 Bethel United Methodist Church(Brick Church)
In 1792 Bishop Francis Asbury on his yearly visit to Methodist Societies and Churches in Georgia held services while staying with the Lovetts, owners of Burton Ferry Landing, Savannah River. In 1811 Bishop Asbury stopped with “David Lovett, . . . — Map (db m11305) HM
Georgia (Taliaferro County), Sharon — 131-19 — Raytown Methodist Church
This church is located in that part of the original Wilkes Circuit of 1786, “the cradle of Georgia Methodism,” from which Bishop Francis Asbury formed the Little River Circuit at the Camden, S. C. Conference in January 1802. The Raytown . . . — Map (db m25129) HM
Georgia (Wilkes County), Washington — 157-20 — First Methodist Church
Organized in 1819, this Church is an outgrowth of Grant’s Meeting House, the first Methodist Church building in Georgia, erected 5 miles E. in 1787. In 1820, the Methodists built the first church building in Washington. It was shared by other . . . — Map (db m25989) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Annapolis — Site of the Methodist Church1789–1817
Francis Asbury, Father of American Methodism, founded a Methodist Society in Annapolis in 1777. They built a meeting house in 1785 within the present grounds of the Naval Academy. In 1789, the “Old Blue Church” moved to this site and . . . — Map (db m2909) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Millersville — Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church
Baldwin Memorial United Methodist Church, 1777–1977. This congregation met as a Methodist Society in 1777 at the John Sewell home, Brooksby’s Point, where circuit rider Bishop Francis Asbury often preached. Present site deeded in 1817. This . . . — Map (db m2882) HM
Maryland (Anne Arundel County), Pasadena — Magothy Methodist Church
One of the first Methodist societies in Anne Arundel County. Log church originally erected on tract acquired in 1764, now the cemetery. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here August 27, 1777. Church built on present site in 1859 was destroyed by fire . . . — Map (db m2863) HM
Maryland, Baltimore — Mt. Olivet Cemetery
The burial place of Methodist pioneers including Bishops Francis Asbury, Enoch George, John Emory and Beverly Waugh, also Robert Strawbridge, first preacher in Maryland and Jesse Lee, founder in New England. Site of 1966 Methodist Bicentennial time . . . — Map (db m33697) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Fork — Fork United Methodist Church
Oldest Methodist Congregation in Maryland worshipping in its original location. Organized as Fork Meeting by Robert Strawbridge. Land near “The Forks of the Gunpowder” given in 1771 by James Baker, who converted to Methodism under the . . . — Map (db m1928) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Camp Chapel
The site of camp meetings between 1776 and 1807, when a log chapel was built. Methodist leader Francis Asbury visited frequently. — Map (db m9581) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Harry Dorsey Gough1745-1808 — Maryland History
The founder of Perry Hall, Gough owned a 1,300 acre estate that bordered the Gunpowder Falls. He dominated commerce in Northeast Baltimore County during the colonial period. An active supporter of the Methodist church, he sheltered Francis Asbury . . . — Map (db m9611) HM
Maryland (Baltimore County), Perry Hall — Harry Dorsey Gough
The founder of Perry Hall, Gough and his wife Prudence sheltered Methodist leaders at the Perry Hall Mansion between 1775 and 1808. — Map (db m18235) HM
Maryland (Caroline County), Preston — Site of Frazier’s ChapelPreston, Maryland, 1785
Built by Rev. Freeborn Garrettson and Captain William Frazier. Early Methodist pastors included Jesse Lee, Joseph Everette and Bishops Francis Asbury and John Emory. Remodeled and named Bethesda 1849. Present church built 1875. Rebuilt 1958. — Map (db m3362) HM
Maryland (Carroll County), New Windsor — John Evans House, 1764Methodist Land Mark
First convert lived here 1764–1827, first class met here 1768–1809, first preacher Robert Strawbridge, first bishop Francis Asbury, preached here. Bicentenary of Methodism, 1962. — Map (db m3022) HM
Maryland (Dorchester County), Taylors Island — Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal ChurchBuilt 1787 - Rebuilt 1857
The original chapel was built on this site which was donated by Moses and Elizabeth LeCompte. The deed, dated September 15, 1787, is the oldest one on record for Methodist Episcopal Church land in Dorchester County. Both Bishop Francis Asbury and . . . — Map (db m4042) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Abingdon — Old Post Road: Cokesbury College
Old Post Road Established 1666. The first Methodist college in the world established at Abingdon June 5, 1785 by Bishops Thomas Coke and Francis Asbury. Destroyed by fire December 4, 1796, located 175 yards east of this point. — Map (db m1233) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Greenbelt — Methodist Preaching Place1776-1803
Bishop Francis Asbury, builder of Methodism in America, recorded nine visits to this place. The farm, called "Wild Cat," belonged to Shadrick Turner, planter. He and his wife Sarah, zealous laymen, hosted many meetings. Several United Methodist . . . — Map (db m122) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Horsehead — Immanuel ChurchHorsehead, Maryland
1879      Centennial      1979 (Built 1879- Burned, Rebuilt 1896)       Located on early colonial survey line - "The Golden Race" - patented to Thomas Greenfield by Lord Baltimore in 1695. One of the earliest Methodist . . . — Map (db m3629) HM
Maryland (Queen Anne's County), Sudlersville — Dudley's ChapelBuilt in 1783 on land donated by Joshua Dudley
This is the first Methodist meeting house erected in Queen Anne’s County, as an outgrowth of a Society organized in 1774. It is one of the earliest surviving Methodist Churches in Maryland. Bishops Francis Asbury, Thomas Coke and Richard Whatcoat . . . — Map (db m3098) HM
New Hampshire (Cheshire County), Chesterfield — 060 — First Methodist Meeting Place In New Hampshire
In 1772 "the people called Methodist" held their first religious meeting in this state on the James Robertson farm, 1.2 miles north of here, on Christian Street, with Philip Embury as the preacher. On June 20, 1803, Francis Asbury spoke here using . . . — Map (db m85918) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Francis Asbury
1745 - 1816 Methodist Pioneer Itinerant Preacher — Map (db m32993) HM
New Jersey (Warren County), Asbury — Methodist Church of AsburyMethodist Historic Site
The Methodist Church of Asbury, New Jersey, by official action of the Northern New Jersey annual Conference of the Methodist Church, is designated a Methodist Historic Site in recognition of the participation of Bishop Francis Asbury in . . . — Map (db m27676) HM
New Jersey (Warren County), Mt. Bethel — Pioneer Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury
Founded the Mt. BETHEL METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH in an old log church on this site FRIDAY MAY 10, 1811. On Thursday May 9, 1811 Bishop Asbury stayed at Halls Mill (now Asbury) with Col. William McCullough. He preached there in the barn. . . . — Map (db m18965) HM
North Carolina (Buncombe County), Asheville — P-33 — Francis Asbury
Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church, 1784-1816, often visited and preached at the home of Daniel Killian which was one mile east. — Map (db m31456) HM
North Carolina (Camden County), South Mills — A 63 — McBride Church
Methodist since 1792. Begun as Anglican c. 1733. Visited by bishops Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke. Building erected 1837; remodeled 1882. 2½ mi. E. — Map (db m56764) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Clyde — The Shook House
Home of Jacob Shook and Preaching place of Francis Asbury, pioneer bishop of American Methodism. "After crossing other streams, and losing ourselves in the woods, we came in about 9 o'clock at night to Vater Shuck's. What an awful day!" Asbury's . . . — Map (db m33716) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Cove Creek — P-51 — "Cataloochee Trail"
Indian path across the mountains used by early settlers and in 1810 by Bishop Francis Asbury. Trail passed nearby. — Map (db m11923) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Maggie Valley — Bishop Francis Asbury — 1745 - 1816
. . . — Map (db m17350) HM
North Carolina (Haywood County), Waterville — Francis Asbury Trail
Francis Asbury, first elected Bishop of Methodism in the U.S.; rode on horseback over 275,000 miles over pioneer trails averaging one sermon a day. From New England to Charleston, S.C. More than 60 times he crossed the Appalachians. Once following . . . — Map (db m90574) HM
North Carolina (New Hanover County), Wilmington — Grace Methodist ChurchOrganized December 24, 1797
Since that date four sanctuaries have burned, 1803–1843–1886–1947. Present imposing and lovely church was dedicated to the glory of God and service to mankind May 15, 1955. Body of Reverend Wm. Meredith, founder of Methodism in . . . — Map (db m28940) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Boehm's Chapel
Built 1791, this "Temple of Limestone" is the oldest existing structure designed for Methodist use in Pennsylvania, and one of the oldest in the U.S. Erected on land formerly owned by Bishop Martin Boehm, co-founder of the United Brethren in Christ, . . . — Map (db m5114) HM
Pennsylvania (Lancaster County), Willow Street — Founded 1791 Boehms Chapel
Boehm's Chapel is the fourth oldest existing structure built for Methodist worship in America. It was erected on land donated by the Rev. Martin Boehm, an itinerant preacher and co-founder with the Rev. Phillip W. Otterbein of the United Brethren in . . . — Map (db m5115) HM
Pennsylvania (Philadelphia County), Philadelphia — Mother Bethel1791
Mother Bethel is the first African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church in America, founded in 1791. Richard Allen (1760-1831), a former slave, was the founder, and later became the first bishop (1816) of the first African-American denomination in . . . — Map (db m6840) HM
South Carolina (Calhoun County), Cameron — 9-3 — Jericho Methodist ChurchMile And A Half East
Bishop Francis Asbury stopped in this region in 1801 and 1803. About 1811, a congregation was organized and by 1815 Jericho Meeting House was standing on land given by Jacob Felkel. The present building there was apparently erected before 1850. A . . . — Map (db m26875) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Bethel Methodist Church
Bethel Methodist Church lot donated by Thomas Bennett A.D. 1795 Church dedicated 1798 Moved across street for use of colored people and present church dedicated Aug. 7, 1853 Parsonage once occupied by Bishop Francis Asbury . . . — Map (db m47663) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — 10-72 — Old Bethel Methodist Church
(Front text) This church, built in 1797 in the meeting-house form, was dedicated in 1798 and completed in 1809. It is the oldest Methodist church standing in Charleston. Originally at the corner of Pitt and Calhoun Streets, Bethel . . . — Map (db m49375) HM
South Carolina (Charleston County), Charleston — Site of the First Methodist ChurchIn Charleston 1785
Established in 1785 under the leadership of Bishop Francis Asbury, the first Methodist Society in Charleston purchased a lot in Cumberland Street and erected a church here in 1786. Long known as the Blue Meeting House because of its color and . . . — Map (db m47974) HM
South Carolina (Chesterfield County), Cheraw — 13-11 — Francis Asbury's First Visit to S.C.
Front Francis Asbury (1745-1816), pioneer bishop of American Methodism, came to Cheraw in 1785, on his first visit to S.C. Asbury had just been ordained a general superintendent at the first General Conference in Baltimore on December 27, . . . — Map (db m46201) HM
South Carolina (Clarendon County), Summerton — 14-9 — Andrews Chapel Church
According to local tradition, this Methodist congregation was organized in 1786 and pioneer American bishop Francis Asbury later visited the area a number of times. The church stands today on land given by Ellis R. and Mary A. Richbourg in 1880. . . . — Map (db m24465) HM
South Carolina (Colleton County), Springtown — Green Pond United Methodist ChurchFormerly Chapel and Camp Ground
December 14, 1808 Bishop Francis Asbury, Bishop William McKIendree, and Rev. Henry Boehm spoke here. June, 1820 Camp meeting was held here from Friday afternoon until Monday morning. There were 125 carriages of all kinds, 50 tents . . . — Map (db m32160) HM
South Carolina (Dorchester County), Ridgeville — 18-14 — Cypress Methodist Camp Ground
(Front text) This camp ground, dating to 1794, is one of the oldest in S.C. Francis Asbury (1745-1816), circuit rider and the first Methodist bishop in America, preached here in 1794, 1799, 1801, and twice in 1803. The camp ground is . . . — Map (db m41750) HM
South Carolina (Fairfield County), Winnsboro — 20-18 — First Methodist Church
First United Methodist Church was established in 1808 under the leadership of the Rev. James Jenkins, an early circuit-riding minister, and John Buchanan, a captain in the Revolution. Pioneer American Methodist bishop Francis Asbury visited here . . . — Map (db m14284) HM
South Carolina (Florence County), Johnsonville — 21-4 — Marion at Port’s Ferry / Asbury at Port’s Ferry
Marion at Port’s Ferry. Port’s Ferry, 3 miles NE on the Pee Dee, was owned and operated by Frances Port (c. 1725–1812), widow of Thomas Port, who was a member of the Provincial Congress from Prince Frederick’s Parish. This was a strategic . . . — Map (db m27932) HM
South Carolina (Georgetown County), Georgetown — 22-15 — Methodists
William Wayne, nephew of Revolutionary General Anthony Wayne, was converted here by Bishop Francis Asbury on February 24, 1785, and a Methodist congregation was formed later that year. Woolman Hickson was appointed minister. This is the site of an . . . — Map (db m7854) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Fork Shoals — 23-16 — Lebanon Church
This United Methodist Church was originally located about 1¼ miles east and named the Grove. It was visited by Bishop Francis Asbury in 1790 and 1800. Relocated about ½ mile SW of here after the land was obtained 1832. Present house of . . . — Map (db m9018) HM
South Carolina (Greenville County), Simpsonville — Bethel Church
Bethel church was organized in 1801 by Bishop Francis Asbury. At first, meetings were held in the homes of John Bramlett, Solomon Holland and Deavoreaux Yeargin. Later, Mr. Bramlett gave four acres of land on which the Bethel church house was . . . — Map (db m30904) HM
South Carolina (Horry County), Conway — 26-6 — First Methodist Church
Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury’s many visits to Kingston (Conway) between 1785 and 1815 preceded the organization of a Methodist congregation here. Land was obtained in 1842 and the first church building was constructed here in 1844. Still . . . — Map (db m11259) HM
South Carolina (Lancaster County), Great Falls — 29-21 — Camp Creek Methodist Church
[Front]: This church, organized in 1798 by Bishop Francis Asbury, held its first services in a log meeting house. On July 10, 1798, Middleton McDonald donated the meeting house and ten acres to church trustees Gideon Glaze, John Graham, . . . — Map (db m23916) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), near Woodrow — Rembert Cemetery
This cemetery was established in the early 1780's Francis Asbury mentions in his journal that he buried Abijah Rembert here on December 4, 1805 Abijah is the Great-Grandson of Andre' Rembert/Immigrant Marked on 8 . . . — Map (db m41058) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), near Woodrow — 31-13 — Rembert Church
Site of camp meetings where Bishop Francis Asbury preached. First service held about 1786. In 1834 Caleb Rembert deeded eight acres to nine trustees for the use of the Methodist Church. John A. Colclough gave an adjacent tract of 2 ½ acres, and . . . — Map (db m41015) HM
South Carolina (Marlboro County), Breeden — 35-20 — Old Beauty Spot
Here stood the first Methodist church of Marlboro County, a single log cabin built in 1783. Here Bishop Francis Asbury presided over and preached at an early Quarterly Conference, held on February 23, 1788. Camp meetings were held here 1810-1842. In . . . — Map (db m38039) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-11 — Mount Bethel Academy
[Front] Located about one mile northeast on land conveyed by Edward Finch, this school, the first Methodist educational venture in the state, was established by Bishop Francis Asbury and opened by him, 1795. A number of Mt. Bethel . . . — Map (db m13210) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill — Holly Hill
The rural 19th Century village began as a sparsely settled community in historic St. James, Goose Creek Parish of the Charleston District. Following the revolutionary War, increased numbers of settlers entered the parish's backcountry where it . . . — Map (db m22505) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-18 — White House Church
This four acre tract of land with an earlier structure known as the "White Meeting House" was given to the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 1, 1790, by a deed which is said to be the earliest documented record of Methodism in Orangeburg . . . — Map (db m26731) HM
South Carolina (Saluda County), Ward — 41-9 — Spann Methodist Church / Captain Clinton Ward
Spann Methodist Church This church was founded ca. 1805 at the plantation of John Spann, Jr., about 1 mi. N. Bishop Francis Asbury preached there in 1807 and 1811. The first church on this site was built and the cemetery was established ca. . . . — Map (db m28222) HM
South Carolina (Williamsburg County), Andrews — 45-9 — Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry
Early Settlers Among the first settlers of Williamsburg County, members of the Witherspoon family sailed from Belfast to Charleston in 1734, arriving about December 1. With a year's provisions, they embarked on an open-boat voyage. Traveling . . . — Map (db m28118) HM
Tennessee (Hawkins County), Rogersville — 1B 6 — Amis House
About 1 1/2 miles south is the stone house built by Thomas Amis between 1781 & 1783. He was Captain and Commissary of North Carolina troops in the Revolution; an original member of the Society of the Cincinnati, and legislator. He established here . . . — Map (db m91872) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17197) HM
Tennessee (Sevier County), Pigeon Forge — 1C 4 — Shiloh Church
in 1802 Methodist Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the home of Mitchel Porter, Revolutionary Veteran, who lived 2 miles north of Sevier County and preached in the newly built log chapel, 400 yards west of here. Shiloh Cemetery grew up around . . . — Map (db m17199) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Blountville — 1A 51 — Acuff Chapel
Established in 1786, this was the first Methodist Episcopal Church to be erected on Tennessee soil. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here often. A ten-day revival held here by Rev. John A. Granade began the Great Revival of 1780-81. The chapel was . . . — Map (db m82954) HM
Tennessee (Sullivan County), Bluff City — 1A 68 — Edward Cox Home
This pioneer from Maryland built the house which stands .1 mi. N., in 1773, bringing his bride here in 1775. Following his return from the Revolution, he opened his house to Methodist missionary preachers. Bishop Francis Asbury was a frequent . . . — Map (db m80631) HM
Tennessee (Washington County), Johnson City — 1A 75 — William Nelson Home
1 mi. N. was the home of William Nelson. A native of Virginia, he was one of the earliest settlers in this region and served in the Revolutionary War. Francis Asbury, early Methodist bishop, held annual conferences here in 1793, 1796, and 1797. . . . — Map (db m22864) HM
Virginia (Brunswick County), Valentines — S 84 — Brunswick Circuit
The Brunswick Circuit, established in 1773 by Robert Williams, is likely the oldest Methodist circuit in America. It extended from Petersburg south into North Carolina, and became known as “the cradle of Methodism in the South.” By 1776, . . . — Map (db m60671) HM
Virginia (Greensville County), Emporia — UM 52 — Mabry's Chapel
Eight miles northeast stood Mabry's Chapel, the fourth Methodist house of worship built in Virginia. It was constructed in 1780, five years after the congregation first met at John Mabry's dwelling. By 1804, a new larger church was built; it . . . — Map (db m86051) HM
Virginia (Isle of Wight County), Smithfield — K-246 — Benn’s Church
This Methodist Church was known in 1804 as Benn’s Chapel. Bishop Asbury preached here in 1804. — Map (db m2674) HM
Virginia (Mecklenburg County), South Hill — S 70 — Salem Chapel
A mile south is the site of Salem Chapel, one of the pioneer Methodist churches of the state. Of it Francis Asbury wrote, "the best house we have in the country part of Virginia." There he held four sessions of the Virginia Annual conference: . . . — Map (db m30879) HM
Virginia (Pulaski County), Radford — K 45 — Page’s Meeting House
One mile to the north stood this Methodist Chapel, an early one in the New River area. It was built on land given in 1795 by Alexander Page. Bishop Francis Asbury preached in the chapel in 1802 and again in 1806. — Map (db m23906) HM
Virginia, Richmond — Francis Asbury
To the glory of God and in grateful memory of Francis Asbury Bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America An apostle whose only home was his saddle, his parish the continent. With fervent love for his Lord and a zeal that . . . — Map (db m31163) HM
Virginia (Smyth County), Chilhowie — Sulphur Springs Church and Campground1806–1893
Across the highway was a log meeting house and campground visited by Bishop Francis Asbury and early Methodist circuit riders. On this site Col. W. P. Thompson gathered his regiment in 1812. Here Elizabeth Henry Russell often worshipped and this was . . . — Map (db m91062) HM
Virginia (Spotsylvania County), Snell — EH 8 — Asbury’s Deathplace
A short distance southeast is the site of the George Arnold House where Bishop Francis Asbury died, March 31, 1816. Asbury, born in England in 1745, came to America in 1771 and labored here until his death. He was ordained one of the first two . . . — Map (db m1723) HM
Virginia (Sussex County), Waverly — K 314 — Ellis Preaching House
Nearby to the northeast stood Ellis Preaching House, an early Methodist meetingplace in Sussex County. Francis Asbury, a pioneering Methodist leader and circuit rider, first visited the Ellis family in 1775 and later conducted services at the . . . — Map (db m35985) HM
Virginia, Winchester — Braddock Street Methodist Church
"To Serve the Present Age" - Charles Wesley From Court House to Church Thirty-two charter members met July 24, 1858, in the Frederick County Court House and were organized as a congregation of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, . . . — Map (db m7342) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Fort Martin
Fort Martin was built in 1769 by Colonel Charles Martin. Three settlers were killed and seven captured near the fort in 1779. At the Methodist Episcopal Church here Bishop Francis Asbury preached in 1784. — Map (db m74599) HM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Union — RehobothOldest Church Building West of the Allegheny Mountains
Society of Methodists Organized, 1794. First bishop of American Methodism, Francis Asbury, was present at the raising of the church, 1785; dedicated this log meeting house, 1786; and held three annual conferences in May, 1792, 1793, 1796. . . . — Map (db m84023) HM
West Virginia (Monroe County), Union — Rehoboth Church
Oldest extant Protestant church west of the Alleghenies. Erected 1786 on land donated by Edward Keenan. Bishop Francis Asbury preached here in July 1788, held three Methodist conferences in 1790’s, and performed the first Methodist ordination west . . . — Map (db m59267) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Beverly — Beverly Methodist Church
The Methodist Church had its roots in Beverly from the time of its settlement. Services were first held in the private homes and lawns of congregation members. The first "church" was the log home of Dr. Benjamin Dolbeare, the first physician in . . . — Map (db m24753) HM
West Virginia (Randolph County), Huttonsville — Bishop Asbury
Bishop Francis Asbury, famed Methodist circuit rider, often visited the Potomac, Tygart’s, Greenbrier, and Monongahela Valleys. In 1790, on a journey from Georgia to New England, he preached at cabin of Benjamin Wilson in Tygart’s Valley. — Map (db m82321) HM

99 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement