Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Virginia, Clinch River Forts Circa 1774 Historical Markers

Palisaded forts, some built on Virginia Governor Lord Dunmore’s order, for settler protection during “Lord Dunmore’s War” with the Cherokees.
 
Russell’s Fort Marker image, Click for more information
By J. J. Prats, October 17, 2015
Russell’s Fort Marker
Virginia (Russell County), Castlewood — X-7 — Russell’s Fort
On the hill to the north stood Russell’s Fort, an important link in the chain of forts built to protect settlers on Clinch River in the Indian War of 1774. William Russell, who established it, was a prominent soldier of the Revolution. — Map (db m89826) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Dickensonville — KA-13 — Dorton’s Fort
William Dorton Sr. and his family, settled here by 1773 and built a fort, one of several defensive structures built by settlers of European descent on the Virginia frontier. Dorton's sons William Jr. Moses fought in the Revolutionary War and . . . — Map (db m89847) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Elk Garden — X-9 — Elk Garden Fort
This fort was one of a string of defensive posts and protective forts that served the community of Elk Garden and isolated homes in the Clinch Valley in the 18th century. There is no known date of construction, but it is believed to have been a . . . — Map (db m89859) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Lebanon — X-8 — Glade Hollow Fort
A short distance south stood Glade Hollow Fort, garrisoned by twenty-one men in 1774. From Witten’s to Blackmore’s, these Clinch Valley forts were the frontier defenses in Dunmore’s War, 1774. — Map (db m89856) HM
Virginia (Russell County), Mew — X-18 — Moore’s Fort
Moore’s Fort, also referred to as Byrd’s Fort, stood nearby close to the Clinch River. Built by 1774 and likely named for the owners of the property, the wooden structure served as defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the . . . — Map (db m89811) HM
Virginia (Scott County), Dungannon — K-18 — Patrick Porter(1737–1805)
Patrick Porter was among the early pioneer settlers in present Scott County. Nearby on Fall Creek is the site of Porter’s Mill, built by Porter in 1774, the earliest licensed mill on waters of the Clinch River. Porter is also credited with the . . . — Map (db m91004) HM
Virginia (Scott County), Gate City — K-13 — Blackmore’s Fort
Blackmore's Fort stood to the northeast on the Clinch River near the mouth of Stony Creek. John Blackmore and others likely constructed the fort by 1774. It served as a defensive fortification for settlers of European descent on the frontier. . . . — Map (db m89868) HM
Virginia (Scott County), Glenita — KA-7 — Carter’s Fort
Near here stood a fort first known as Crissman’s Fort, and later as Carter’s or Rye Cove Fort, and by militia officers as Fort Lee. Built by Isaac Crissman, Sr. in 1774, it was acquired by Thomas Carter (1731 1803) after Crissman’s death at . . . — Map (db m90918) HM
Virginia (Scott County), Snowflake — K-17 — Houston’s Fort
The first known settler of European descent in Scott County, Thomas McCullough, moved here in 1769 and lived on Big Moccasin Creek until about 1771. Houston's Fort, built by William Houston and other settlers about 1774 stood near McCullough's . . . — Map (db m89862) HM
Virginia (Tazewell County), Belfast Mills — XY-17 — Smith’s Fort
Near here, in 1774, stood Daniel Smith’s fort, also known as Fort Christian. The fort was named for Smith, who was a surveyor and captain of the military company on Upper Clinch River. — Map (db m89861) HM
Virginia (Tazewell County), Frog Level — X-16 — Indian-Settler Conflicts
During Dunmore’s war (1774) and the Revolutionary War (1775–1783) conflicts between Indians and colonists often intensified as European powers encouraged Indians from the Ohio region to attack frontier settlers. Tensions also sometimes . . . — Map (db m90654) HM
Virginia (Tazewell County), Pisgah — XY-14 — Big Crab Orchard Or Witten’s Fort
On the hillside to the south stood Big Crab Orchard Fort, also known as Witten’s Fort. Thomas Witten obtained land here in 1771 and built the fort as a neighborhood place of refuge. It was garrisoned in Dunmore’s War, 1774. — Map (db m44614) HM
Virginia (Tazewell County), Tazewell — X-10 — William Wynne’s Fort
On the hillside to the north stood Wynne’s Fort. A settlement was made here as early as 1752. Some years later William Wynne obtained land here and built a neighborhood fort. After 1776 the state government built a fort and garrisoned it. — Map (db m90625) HM

13 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement