Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Michigan, Little Traverse Historical Society Historical Markers

Markers highlighting the architectural history of Petoskey, Michigan.
 
Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries Building and Marker image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., August 25, 2016
Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries Building and Marker
Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Brazile Petoskey Dry Goods and Groceries 1876 301 East Lake Street

The City of Petoskey was named after Ignatius Petoskey who is pictured above with his two sons. The earliest commercial building at this site was a dry goods and grocery store operated by Brazile (also; "Bazile" or "Basil") Petoskey, sitting to . . . — Map (db m97971) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Coburn Building 1892 316-318 East Mitchell

The Coburn building, constructed in 1892, is home to both the 316 and 318 addresses. The 316 address was originally housed by hardware stores run by a variety of men who partnered with Sydney Bump. His partners were Henry Easton, John Walrond, . . . — Map (db m97980) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Fallass Drug Store 1900 330-332 East Mitchell

For the first thirty-five years this address was a drug store. It was first owned by Charles W. Fallass until 1928. John Lake was the next owner until 1935 when his business went into bankruptcy. At that time he took the paint and wallpaper . . . — Map (db m97997) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — G & A Building 1907 307 East Lake Street

This building was named for business partners Guleserian and Altoonjian, formerly of Armenia. Their Persian Bazaar had been relocated from the waterfront Midway to this downtown location. The second floor was leased for the Petoskey Normal and . . . — Map (db m97926) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Giles Restaurant 1945 324 East Mitchell

"We treet you righte both day and night and have no cause for sorrow. Eat your fill and pay your bille and come again tomorrow," was the wording on the sampler that hung in the back of Giles Restaurant for nearly 50 years. In 1929, Enoch Giles . . . — Map (db m97989) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — J. Schapler Saloon 1904 317 East Lake Street

The saloon listed in the 1899 directory at this location was run by Henry Schapler, who had been born in Germany. By 1900 three of the 15 saloons in Petoskey were run by Schaplers, including Henry's brothers Fred and Frank. Several of the . . . — Map (db m97924) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Karamol's, Mitchell Street Pub Circa 1900 426-428-430 East Mitchell

This location originally held a trio of buildings that served the community in many ways. In 1900, at the 426 address, John Karamol sold cigars, fine wines, and liquor out of what was originally called the Posen Sample Company. Over almost the . . . — Map (db m97909) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Koulis Ice Cream Circa 1925 323-325 East Mitchell

The 325 address is no longer in existence. It was absorbed by the First National Bank expansion in 1964. In 1909 George Koulis operated the First Class Ice Cream Shop and Confectionary business on the 325 site. John Laggis who worked for Koulis . . . — Map (db m97988) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — M. J. Bourke: Agricultural Specialties 1907 306 Howard Street

The first business owner in this building (the second building from the right in the photo) was M. J. Bourke. The store was constructed in accordance with a 1906 party wall agreement with the bank next door. Other shops that occupied this . . . — Map (db m97922) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Montgomery Sisters circa 1881 311 East Lake Street

The Montgomery Sisters occupied this tin-fronted building after they moved here in 1919 from their Petoskey Midway location. Gertrude and Mae Montgomery were widely known for their eclectic merchandise. They sold fancy goods and art pieces in . . . — Map (db m97925) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — National Hotel 1881 318 East Lake Street

The first building on this site, known as the Lake Street House, was completed in 1877. Later it was called the Farmer's Home, catering to farmers and laborers. That building burned to the ground with three adjacent buildings in 1880. Renamed . . . — Map (db m97923) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Petoskey Housefurnishing Co. / Reid Furniture Circa 1940 307-309 East Mitchell

In 1913 a furniture business was established by Watson Snyder at this location. In 1927 Alfred Dau purchased this site from Snyder. About 1940, Dau decided to move the Petoskey Housefurnishing Company to Bay View Road. In 1927, James A. Reid . . . — Map (db m97977) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — Petoskey Post Office 1918 300 to 308 East Mitchell

This location served as the post office for Petoskey from 1918 until 1962 when it was decided that Petoskey needed a new facility due to the growth of the surrounding townships. The post office was razed and the location moved to 216 State . . . — Map (db m97978) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — The Braun 1882 210 Howard Street

Was Hemingway thinking about the Braun Restaurant when he wrote about Brown's Beanery in Torrents of Spring? In 1882, John George and Margareta Braun began a hotel/restaurant business that spanned 55 years and three generations. The Braun was . . . — Map (db m98007) HM

Michigan (Emmet County), Petoskey — The Pop Corn King Circa 1913 326-328 East Mitchell

The building on the far left is 328 East Mitchell. The Pop Corn King is the 326 address which opened in 1913. Meryl Leach was the pop corn king in Petoskey for nearly fifty years. A second floor family residence was added later. At the 328 . . . — Map (db m97995) HM


15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement