Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.
Louisiana, Marksville Historical Markers Driving Tour Historical Markers
Series of over 100 markers of historic homes, buildings and sites in celebration of Marksville''s Bicentennial in 2009. Markers placed by either the City of Marksville, Hypolite Bordelon Home Society, Marksville Chamber of Commerce or the State of Louisiana.
Oldest commercial building site remaining in city. Built by Voinche, native of Paris, France. Later Victorian upper structure on only underground basement in city. Basement used to hide cotton from Union troops during Civil War. — Map (db m98022) HM
Movie theater built in the Arts and Crafts style by the Mayer family. First known as the "Palace Theater". Home to "silent" movies and later "speaking" films until about 1975. High school commencements were held here prior to 1927. — Map (db m98270) HM
Arts and Crafts style home built by Forest Dupuis, merchant and undertaker. Located on the grounds were a mortuary, "filling station", dance hall, and garages to house a horse-drawn hearse and family vehicle. — Map (db m97845) HM
Fort De Russy, four miles north, potent Confederate stronghold defending lower Red River valley, yielded to land attack of General A. J. Smith's Union Army on March 14, 1864.
Dedicated June 13, 1954
By the Central . . . — Map (db m97846) HM
Marcos Litche, a native of Venice, Italy and a traveling peddler, migrated to the Avoyelles Post c. 1794. Because of a broken wagon wheel, the pleasant environment, and friendliness of the Indians and local residents, he decided to stay in this . . . — Map (db m99098) HM
German prisoners of war were housed in tents in a barbed wire enclosure during the last years of World War II. They assisted in the maintaining of levees and harvesting of crops, and were expatriated after the war. — Map (db m97649) HM
This c. 1820 Creole house is typical of the dwellings of early Avoyelles Parish families. The Bordelon family, who built the house, was one of the parish's pioneer families. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. — Map (db m97631) HM
Marksville is a ceremonial center with two earthen ridges enclosing seven mounds. Indians built these earthworks between 100 BC and AD 400. During that time, the site covered 200 acres and included other earthworks that are now destroyed. The . . . — Map (db m97726) HM
Marksvillians enjoyed horse racing on a hard earth track located on this site. A wood grandstand existed for visitor seating. Begun by Dr. Aristide Barbin who also organized a baseball field and golf course in this area. Dr. Barbin played on the . . . — Map (db m97641) HM
A two and one half story Eastlake Victorian structure with twin turrets stood on this site. Built by Alfred Mayer. Served for many years as the city's main hotel and renowned throughout state for its French cuisine. — Map (db m99100) HM
A Spanish military post was established c.1780 in Marksville by Carlos de Grandprι, Civil Lieutenant Governor of the Red and Ouachita River Settlements to protect the Avoyel Indians from the encroachment of white settlers on Indian lands and to . . . — Map (db m97870) HM
Originally located in Hydropolis (Cocoville). Served as the chapel for the Daughters of the Cross and students at Presentation Academy. Later moved after the Civil War to Marksville and attached to the first St. Joseph Church. Moved to the grounds . . . — Map (db m97771) HM
Founded by Rev. Fr. Jules Janeau in 1869 with worship in a Gothic frame Church. Replaced in 1926 by Msgr. Henry Van de Putten with this Romanesque structure designed by W. T. Nolan. — Map (db m98023) HM
Rezin P. Bowie, brother of Alamo hero James Bowie, wrote, " The first Bowie knife was made by myself in the Parish of Avoyelles." With this knife James killed Norris Wright in the famous Sandbar Fight near Natchez, Miss., Sept. 19, 1827. — Map (db m98048) HM
One mile east is the Marksville prehistoric Indian ceremonial center. This site, occupied from 1-400 A.D., was related to the Ohio Hopewell Culture, and was noted for its elaborate trade networks and mortuary ceremonialism. — Map (db m98269) HM
Lands granted to the Tunica tribe by the Spanish government comprise part of the present reservation. The Tunica-Biloxi Tribe is a fusion of the Tunica, Biloxi, Ofo, and Avoyel peoples. — Map (db m97810) HM
A two and one half story Greek Revival frame structure with upper and lower galleries stood here. Built by Edwards on land purchased from Marc Eliche'. Later owned by Judge Aristide Barbin. — Map (db m98055) HM