Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Maryland, Lost Rockville – 1801 to 1850 Historical Markers

The "Lost Rockville" historical series was created to celebrate the City's 200th anniversary in 2001.
 
Out of Robb's Window Marker image, Click for more information
By Tom Fuchs, January 7, 2006
Out of Robb's Window Marker
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Courthouse.”
Architect Benjamin Latrobe came to “Montgomery Court House” in 1811 hoping that the fresh air would help his ailing young son recover his health. He stayed at Adam Robb’s tavern that may have been located on Lot 4 on Jefferson Street . . . — Map (db m92) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — 1803 Plan of Rockville and Boundary Stone
Rockville began when Owen's Ordinary, an inn and tavern, was established in this area around 1750. It functioned as the seat of lower Frederick County and in 1776 became the seat of Montgomery County when it was created. In 1784, William P. Williams . . . — Map (db m63) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Beall-Dawson House and Park
The Beall-Dawson property originally extended from Montgomery Avenue west to Forest Avenue and north to Martins Lane. The house was built in 1815 by Upton Beall, Clerk of the Montgomery County Court. It is a 2 1/2 story brick Federal-style home . . . — Map (db m224) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Christ Episcopal Church
The first Episcopal church in or near Rockville was built in 1739 on a two-acre parcel of land, part of which is now the Rockville Cemetery. It was constructed of clapboards and logs and was called both the "Chapel of Ease" and Rock Creek Chapel. . . . — Map (db m91) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery Avenue and Washington Street
Rockville grew from a convenient crossroads meeting place in the 1750s to become the legal and market center of the county. The tiny village was selected as the seat of local government in 1776 for its central location and the presence of taverns . . . — Map (db m43473) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery County Court House
There have been four court houses in Rockville since it was established as the County seat in 1776. Court was originally held at Hungerford Tavern. A frame court house existed in the late 18th century but was sufficiently outgrown by 1810 to . . . — Map (db m101964) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Montgomery County Jail
In 1777, seven commissioners were appointed to purchase a plot of land not exceeding four acres, for building a court house and prison for Montgomery County. In 1777, both court and jail were located in the former Hungerford Tavern on South . . . — Map (db m330) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — North Adams Street and Middle Lane Residential Area
The area at North Adams Street and Middle Lane has four of the oldest surviving Rockville homes: 101, 106, and 5 North Adams, and the Beall-Dawson House. The 1793 portion of the house at 5 North Adams is probably the oldest structure in . . . — Map (db m81) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Academy
In 1805, the Maryland General Assembly appointed a commission to raise money for a school lot and a fire engine for Rockville. The Rockville Academy was chartered and authorized to hire teachers in 1809. In 1812 and 1813, a number of lots were . . . — Map (db m94) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery
In 1823, the deacons of the Bethel Baptist Church church acquired a half-acre lot at this site to erect a church and provide a burial ground. The original church was replaced in 1864, but a half century later, the Baptists demolished it and built a . . . — Map (db m37576) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Rockville Methodist Episcopal Church - Jerusalem/Mount Pleasant
Rockville was an early center of Methodism in Montgomery County. Methodists first met in private homes with occasional visits from a "circuit rider" minister. In 1835, the trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased lot 82 of the Original . . . — Map (db m43555) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — Saint Mary’s Church
St. Mary’s Church, built in 1817, is the oldest church still in use in Rockville. Rockville was chosen for the church location for its relatively large concentration of Catholics, it central location, and its prominence as the County seat. St. . . . — Map (db m61) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Bingham-Brewer House
This two-story Federal structure is significant for its architecture and for its personal associations. The house is one of only two pre-1830 brick structures still intact in Rockville. The front section is 24-feet high and 24-feet wide. It rests . . . — Map (db m226) HM
Maryland (Montgomery County), Rockville — The Prettyman House
This house was built on a 13.5-acre lot on the outskirts of Rockville in 1842. A stone marking the southwest corner of the original 1803 Rockville Plan is between this house and the adjacent Rockville Academy grounds. Matilda Holland, widow of . . . — Map (db m74) HM

14 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement