Union Station, across First Street, was the world’s largest railroad terminal when it opened in 1907. Its construction took five years and displaced hundreds of small houses and businesses. Architect Daniel Burnham’s Beaux-Arts masterpiece, with . . . — Map (db m71678) HM
(Preface): On April 19, 1861, Confederate sympathizers attacked the 6th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment as it changed trains en route to Washington, which the secessionists hoped to isolate. To learn more about the Baltimore Riot, the city’s . . . — Map (db m37538) HM
The first national strike began July 16, 1877, with Baltimore and Ohio Railroad workers in Martinsburg, West Virginia, and Baltimore Maryland. It spread across the nation halting rail traffic and closing factories in reaction to widespread worker . . . — Map (db m63862) HM
Will's Creek Settlement, later known as Cumberland, served as a major gateway for trade, military campaigns against the French, and settlement beyond the mountains in our growing nation. "The New Storehouses" of the Ohio Company were across the . . . — Map (db m17783) HM
Independence Day, July 4th, 1828, would be an important day for Cumberland, Maryland. On that day, far to the east, the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad both broke ground. The finish line of these companies' race was the . . . — Map (db m67478) HM
Established 1772 by the three Ellicott brothers from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. They opened the road from here to Baltimore. The B. and O. R. R. was completed to this point May 20, 1830. — Map (db m175) HM
Beginning in 1873, the picturesque Viaduct Station Hotel complimented the Thomas Viaduct. The Viaduct Hotel was built in the town of Relay as a rural vacation spot and a comfortable place for passangers to change trains. The hotel was a forerunner . . . — Map (db m8833) HM
Before you stands the thomas Viaduct, named after Philip E. Thomas, the first president of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. This unique bridge has become an enduring symbol of the B&O Railroad and the Patapsco Valley, surviving several floods and . . . — Map (db m8834) HM
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad.
Here in 1830, passengers on B&O horse-drawn cars stopped to eat at the Relay House.
Meanwhile, the relays of horses were changed for the remainder of the 13 mile journey between Baltimore and Ellicott’s Mills, hence . . . — Map (db m2502) HM
Commenced, July 4th, 1833.
Finished, July 4th, 1835.
Caspar W. Wever,
Superintendent of Construction.
Benjamin H. Latrobe. . . . — Map (db m127) HM
(below the window) Preserve the memory of train crew by ringing this bell for Ricky, Jimmy and Jim.
(above the window) The bricks which make up the base of the bell memorial came from the B & O roundhouse that once stood in . . . — Map (db m1981) HM
At this intersection, President Abraham Lincoln spoke from a railroad car platform to Frederick residents assembled in the street on October 4, 1862. He had just returned from viewing the battlefields of South Mountain and Antietam and had called on . . . — Map (db m60166) HM
(North Facing Side): The Lower Depot Neighborhood The railroad transformed 19th century America, facilitating long-distance travel and the efficient transfer of raw materials to factories and agricultural and manufactured goods to markets. . . . — Map (db m2823) HM
This [railroad] company was met by the most decided and inveterate opposition, on the part of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Company. Philip E. Thomas, President, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company The proximity of railroad tracks by the . . . — Map (db m7661) HM
In mid-June 1863, with rumors of a pending reinvasion of Maryland by Confederate forces, most Baltimore and Ohio trains stopped running past here. As tension mounted, the New York Times reported that no trains were departing Baltimore, “except . . . — Map (db m743) HM
The rail line immediately before you served as an important means of supply and communication during the Civil War (the station, and tracks to Washington, D.C., on the southern or right side of the station were built later). Here at Point of Rocks, . . . — Map (db m744) HM
President Grover Cleveland and his bride, the former Frances Folsom, arrived here the day following their White House wedding on June 2, 1886. They spent their honeymoon at this Deer Park Hotel cottage. — Map (db m470) HM
Built by the B&O Railroad, opened July 4, 1873 and operated until 1929. Razed 1942. This was one of the most exclusive mountain resorts in the east. Many nationally prominent people, including four United States Presidents, were guests here. — Map (db m5413) HM
No long farewell embraces,
No time to say goodbye,
You were gone before we knew it.
And no matter how we try,
Our tears can’t build a stairway,
Nor our memories a lane,
That reaches up to Heaven,
To bring you home again.
So with . . . — Map (db m480) HM
Given the architectural design term "Queen Ann Style" by its architect E. Francis Baldwin, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's "1884 Oakland Train Station" is the third building to occupy this location. The first station was a small, square two-story . . . — Map (db m399) HM
The large stone fireplace that now stands like a sentinel along the railroad tracks is a solitary reminder of Oakland's colorful hey-day. In the late 1800’s the area from here to the B&O station was a virtual beehive of activity. With twelve . . . — Map (db m488) HM
On April 26, 1863, during the Confederate occupation of Oakland, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill's partisan rangers attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad bridge here over the Youghiogheny River. They were part of a larger group . . . — Map (db m481) HM
Directly behind you, John W. Garrett built Garrett Memorial Church in 1869 as a memorial to his brother Henry S. Garrett who died in 1867. The site was originally chosen by his brother for a church, but he died before steps could be taken to build . . . — Map (db m467) HM
On Sunday, April 26, 1863, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill's partisan rangers under Col. A. W. Harman attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad facilities here in Oakland. They were part of Confederate Gen. William E. . . . — Map (db m485) HM
Facing the railroad tracks directly in front of you was the Glades Hotel. Deriving its name from the nearby area called “Youghiogheny Glades,” the Glades Hotel was built in the mid-1850’s by Perry Lyle directly across the tracks from the . . . — Map (db m468) HM
On April 26, 1863, a detachment of Confederate Capt. John H. McNeill’s partisan rangers attacked the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad facilities here at Altamont. They were part of a larger group that entered Oakland that Sunday as Confederate Gen. . . . — Map (db m37544) HM
Ellicott City’s Main Street is the National
Pike, part of the road system that moved
Americans west. Only two decades after the
road was constructed, a new transportation
rival appeared. In 1831, America’s first
railroad, the Baltimore & Ohio, . . . — Map (db m720) HM
Spanning the Little Patuxent River is the sole surviving example of the bridging system invented, 1850, by Wendel Bollman, Baltimore engineer. It was the first system, entirely of iron, used by the Baltimore and Ohio railroad and the first in . . . — Map (db m98) HM
The Capital Crescent Trail follows the route of an old railroad line called the Georgetown Branch of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O). It's all that remains of an unrealized attempt by the B&O to construct a major rail link between the . . . — Map (db m83) HM
Built: 1884. The Gaithersburg Railroad Station and freight house were built in 1884 as handsome replacements for the adjacent small frame structure which served as a freight depot when the Metropolitan Branch of the B & O Railroad was extended . . . — Map (db m1039) HM
In 1989, this passenger waiting room was taken down from its location in Landover, MD., and brought to this site and re-assembled by the Montgomery County Conservation Corps. On behalf of the citizens of Garrett Park, the Mayor and Town Council . . . — Map (db m219) HM
In 1887, the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company laid out the town, named after Robert W. Garrett, President of the B. & O. Railroad. It was to be primarily residential, a short commuter train ride to Washington, D.C. Now, over one hundred . . . — Map (db m218) HM
This lane of trees once led to the Madeline Waters House, built by Lloyd Dorsey in 1902 (see historic marker on Wisteria Drive north of Maryland Route 118). This house was typical of villa-style homes built on the outskirts of rural railroad towns . . . — Map (db m69348) HM
County seat of Montgomery (formerly part of Frederick) County. Made the county seat in 1776. Created a town by act of assembly 1801. Site of Hungerford Tavern where in 1774 resolution of sympathy for Boston was adopted and severance of trade with . . . — Map (db m60) HM
Built by The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad in 1884, this "American Queen Anne" structure continues in daily use. The architect, Francis H. Baldwin, also designed the rear wing of the State House in Annapolis.
The building was placed on the National . . . — Map (db m99) HM
The first telegram “What Hath God Wrought” was sent from the Capitol in Washington to Baltimore May 24, 1844 over wires laid along the right of way of the B&O Railroad adjacent to this highway. The telegraph was invented by Samuel F.B. . . . — Map (db m92328) HM
Town of Riverdale Park. A key factor in the initial development
of Riverdale Park in 1887 was its proximity
to Washington, D.C. By the end of the
19th century, transportation between
Riverdale Park and Washington was
extremely convenient . . . — Map (db m984) HM
You are standing over a 423 foot man-made sandstone tunnel built by the railroad between 1864 and 1870. Located on the Pittsburgh-Columbus main line, up to 37 trains a day passed under East Main Street during the railroad’s heyday.
The station, . . . — Map (db m21012) HM
Cambridge was platted in 1806 and became Guernsey County seat just four years later. The
town flourished with the construction of the National Road, and by 1834 Cambridge was served
daily by four stagecoach lines. Manufacturing boomed after the . . . — Map (db m98595) HM
The roundhouse is the sole surviving cast-iron framed roundhouse and is an important example of mid-19th century industrial building design. Designed by Albert Fink, in collaboration with Benjamin H. Latrobe, it represents an early use of . . . — Map (db m1199) HM
National Civil Engineering Landmark. The re-construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Roundhouse and Shop Complex commenced soon after the end of the American Civil War in 1865. This complex included two roundhouses and two significant . . . — Map (db m17373) HM
In April 1861, as the Civil War erupted, Confederate forces seized the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from Harpers Ferry west. On May 24, Gen. Joseph
E. Johnston ordered Col. Thomas J. (later “Stonewall”) Jackson to destroy
the rolling . . . — Map (db m1200) HM
Roundhouses and Shops. The B&O Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842,
and by 1849, a roundhouse and shops were
built. These first buildings were burned by
Confederate troops in 1862. The present west
roundhouse and the two shops were built . . . — Map (db m1197) HM
Work on the railroad and canal progressed slowly at first, but by 1834 both companies had completed construction to a point opposite Harpers Ferry. The canal had won the race to this point and it continued up the Maryland side of the Potomac. The . . . — Map (db m12062) HM
Rail transportation in the United States began in Baltimore, Maryland on July 4, 1828, when Charles Carroll, the only living signer of the Declaration of Independence, laid the cornerstone of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad On the same day President . . . — Map (db m12060) HM
At Rosby’s Rock (5 Mi. E.) Dec. 24, 1852, the B. & O. Railroad joined the Baltimore and Wheeling with the first continuous railroad from the Atlantic to the Ohio, after such engineering feats as building 11 tunnels and 113 bridges. — Map (db m21074) HM
Important concentration point of the Union Army from 1861 to 1865. As many as 16,000 Federal troops were encamped here at one time. A blockhouse stood along the tracks of the B&O Railroad at this point. — Map (db m449) HM
The Washington Heritage Trail is a 136-mile national scenic byway inspired by the prominent footsteps of George Washington through the three historic counties of West Virginia’s Eastern Panhandle. Compelling history, spectacular scenery, geologic . . . — Map (db m450) HM