The Friends Meeting House is the oldest religious building in Baltimore. In 1781, the Patapsco Friends Meeting, formerly located on Harford Road two miles north of the Inner Harbor, moved to this site. In 1784 a group of Quakers established a school . . . — Map (db m6282) HM
A survival from the 18th century, this house was built in the section of the city known as “Jonestown.”
Designed and built in the 1790’s in the Federal style, 9 North Front Street was once part of a neighborhood of merchants, . . . — Map (db m2726) HM
This building was home to Alex. Brown & Sons Company, founded in 1800, the first and oldest continually operating investment banking firm in the United States. The building represents the firm's and Baltimore's importance in the financial world of . . . — Map (db m7041) HM
George Herman Ruth, better known to the world as Babe Ruth, baseball's famous "Sultan of Swat," was born here in the home of his maternal grandparents on February 6, 1895. Famous for his record-breaking statistics and flamboyant style, Babe was . . . — Map (db m7480) HM
Once known as the Bromo Seltzer Tower, this building is a monument to Captain Isaac Emerson, the imaginative chemist who developed a famous headache remedy, and named it after Mt. Bromo - an active volcano in Java.
Emerson came to Baltimore in . . . — Map (db m6982) HM
This “noble pile” as it was described at the dedication of January 8, 1900, is the third courthouse built on Monument Square. When Calvert Street was leveled in 1784, the original courthouse—site of the May 1774 Stamp Act Protest . . . — Map (db m89370) HM
The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal congregatoin is the oldest independent black institution in Baltimore. Its origins date back to the late 18th century, when blacks withdrew from the parent Methodist Church in protest against racially . . . — Map (db m6237) HM
The B'nai Israel Synagogue, erected in 1876, is the longest actively-used synagoue in Baltimore. It was built by Congregation Chizuk Amuno ("Strengthening of the Faith"), whose members had seceded from the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation in 1870 to . . . — Map (db m7074) HM
Named for the governor who developed it, Brown's Arcade is a unique and early example of adaptive reuse in Baltimore. The four buildings that make up the Arcade were originally constructed as rowhouses in the 1820's. After the Great Fire of 1904, . . . — Map (db m5565) HM
Charles Carroll of Carrollton (1737–1832), the last surviving, and only Roman Catholic signer of the Declaration of Independence, wintered here during the last twelve years of his life.
Built circa 1808, the mansion is the grandest . . . — Map (db m3204) HM
The Continental Trust Building, constructed in 1902, is the only building in Baltimore designed by Daniel H. Burnham, a major figure in the Commercial Style that developed in Chicago at the turn of the century and produced the American skyscraper. . . . — Map (db m6442) HM
To escape the intolerable heat of Baltimore summers, Thomas Dekay Winans built this country house on land which he had purchased in 1855. Winans had recently returned from Russia, where he made a fortune supervising construction of the . . . — Map (db m6404) HM
“The little house in the lowly street with the lovely name.” This was how Edgar Allan Poe described 203 Amity Street, where he lived from 1832 to 1835 with his grandmother, aunt, and cousin Virginia, whom he married in 1836.
While . . . — Map (db m2506) HM
In 1882, the merchant Enoch Pratt, wishing to make a gift to his adopted city which would benefit all of her citizens, gave Baltimore $1,058,000 to establish a public library.
The original building fronted on Mulberry Street. Designed by the . . . — Map (db m5561) HM
First Baptist Church, the oldest Black Baptist church in Maryland, was founded amidst turmoil in 1836, five years after Nat Turner's Rebellion in Virginia. Alarmed at the Rebellion, Maryland and other slave states passed laws restricting the . . . — Map (db m7564) HM
Baltimore's first fish market stood near the site of this structure as searly as 1773. The first market building, Centre Market, was authorized by act of the State legislature in 1784. It was also known as Marsh Market since it was built on Thomas . . . — Map (db m7322) HM
"Those who profess to favor freedom and yet depreciate agitation are those who want crops without plowing up the ground - they want rain without thunder and lightning." - Frederick Douglass
Born in February, 1818, on Maryland's Eastern Shore, . . . — Map (db m7562) HM
"There is hardly a building in Baltimore that doesn't contain something we made, even if it is only a nail." So boasted Theodore Krug, heir to the oldest continuously working iron shop in the country. For more than 170 years artisans here have . . . — Map (db m6619) HM
Built for Grace Church in 1852, this was one of the first Gothic Revival churches in the South to use Connecticut brownstone. St. Peter's Church, founded in 1802, and Grace Church, founded in 1850, were united in 1912. This union is symbolized by . . . — Map (db m6013) HM
Henry Louis Mencken was born on Lexington Street on September 12, 1880. His father hoped his eldest son would continue the family cigar manufacturing business, but after his father's death in 1899, Mencken headed straight for the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m5035) HM
This complex, once three separate structures built between 1886 and 1905, hosed a wide variety of industries. These included a shoe manufacturer, the nation's leading straw hat company, (M.S. Levy), one of the largest lithographers in the south, . . . — Map (db m6984) HM
On an evening in October, 1833, three of Baltimore's most discerning gentlemen were gathered around a table in the back parlor of this house. Fortified with “some old wine and some good cigars,” John Pendleton Kennedy, James H. Miller . . . — Map (db m4939) HM
[The majority of the text on the photocopy of the picture of the marker is unreadable. It ends as follows:]
His painting now hang in many museums, including the Metropolitan in New York and the National Gallery in Washington, D.C. Below are two . . . — Map (db m9478) HM
After the Civil War, a large number of black Baptists migrated to Baltimore. This church was organized in 1872 by black Baptists of the Sharp-Leadenhall area, with the help of the Maryland Baptist Union Association. It is the second oldest church . . . — Map (db m6358) HM
"God opened my mouth and no man can shut it." With this firm belief in God and herself, "Ma" Jackson acieved extraordinary success in securing equal rights for blacks in Baltimore and Maryland. Born in 1889, she began fighting for black equality and . . . — Map (db m6562) HM
The Lloyd Street Synagogue, dedicated in 1845, is the first synagogue erected in Maryland and the third oldest surviving synagogue in the United States. A simple, elegant building in the popular Greek Revival style, it was designed for the Baltimore . . . — Map (db m7072) HM
The Maryland Historical Society (MdHS) is the state's oldest continuously operating cultural institution. Founded in 1844, it was first located in the Athenaeum at St. Paul and Saratoga Streets. In 1919 it moved to its current location on W. . . . — Map (db m10249) HM
Before Baltimore's public school system opened in 1829, education was the concern of charitable and religious organizations. An early leader in the education movement was the McKim Free School, established through a bequest of Quaker merchant John . . . — Map (db m7071) HM
From 1894 to 1899, this house was the residence of Ottmar Mergenthaler, a German immigrant who revolutionized the art of printing with his invention of the Linotype. Previously a typesetter searched for a single character, then placed it in a line . . . — Map (db m6582) HM
This house, built around 1807, was the home of Saint Elizabeth Bayley Seton, the first American-born canonized saint of the Roman Catholic Church.
Born in New York to a prominent Protestant family, Elizabeth Ann Bayley married William M. Seton . . . — Map (db m5986) HM
The Washington Monument, Baltimore. This view of Mount Vernon Place, circa 1848, shows the home of Charles and Phoebe Key Howard ot the right of the monument.
Conceived as a "Cathedral of Methodism" the Mount Vernon Place . . . — Map (db m7948) HM
This outstanding Georgian mansion, built between 1754 and 1768, was the home of Charles Carroll, Barrister and framer of Maryland’s first Constitution and Declaration of Rights. Carroll and his wife Margaret Tilghman made Mount Clare a center of . . . — Map (db m3152) HM
This structure, designed by James A. Wetmore and completed in 1932, is the second post office to occupy this site. Erected at a cost of $3.3 million, the neo-classical building, with its marble halls and paneled court-rooms, contained the most . . . — Map (db m6160) HM
St. Paul's Church (Episcopal) stands on the only property that has remained under the same ownership since the original survey of Baltimore Town in 1730. In that year, Lot. No. 19, the highest point in the new town, was granted to St. Paul's Parish; . . . — Map (db m92305) HM
Built in 1828 by the Phoenix Shot Tower Company, this soaring 215 foot structure is the last remaining shot tower of the three that accented Baltimore’s skyline in the 19th century. Shot pellets used as ammunition for muskets was produced by pouring . . . — Map (db m2598) HM
This imposing building, appropriately designed by Joseph Evans Sperry to suggest an old treasure chest, is the home of Provident Savings bank, the father of branch banking among mutual savings banks of the nation. Incorporated in 1886 with the . . . — Map (db m6653) HM
In July 1846, a battered and storm-tossed hulk, the William Penn, was moored at the pier at Light Street wharf across from what is now the McCormick building. A ship chandler, a rigger and other local merchants with interests in the shipping . . . — Map (db m7076) HM
This imposing townhouse, built in 1853, was the home of Samuel Shoemaker, organizer of the Adams Express Company. The company that began in 1840 with one man and a satchel grew into a Goliath in the next few decades, serving every state and . . . — Map (db m6015) HM
Named in honor of its original location, Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church descends from the first black congregation in Baltimore. In 1797, blacks gatehred at 112-116 Sharp Street, where the Maryland Society for the Abolition of Slavery . . . — Map (db m6239) HM
Dedicated on February 21, 1864, St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church was the first black parish in the U.S. The church originated in the 1790s due to the efforts of the Sulpician Fathers and the Oblate Sisters of Providence to provide education and . . . — Map (db m7563) HM
St. Ignatius Church opened August 15, 1856. Designed by Henry Hamilton Pittar and Louis L. Long, it was the second unit to be completed in the block-long complex that stretches from Madison to Monument Streets. In 1855, the porticoed central section . . . — Map (db m6125) HM
Here, at the One Mile Tavern, in 1791, the Fathers of St. Sulpice (Paris, France) founded St. Mary's, the first Roman Catholic Seminary in the United States. Maryland was then a center of Catholic activity, with Baltimore having been selected at the . . . — Map (db m7186) HM
St. Vincent de Paul Church is the oldest Catholic parish church in the city. The church was built in 1840-1841 to accommodate the growing Irish Catholic population east of the Jones Falls. Its gleaming white Georgian tower has long been recognized . . . — Map (db m2600) HM
Host to the mighty, famous, and infamous, the Belvedere Hotel has welcomed a steady stream of celebrities since it opened in 1903. Rudolph Valentino, Sarah Berhardt, Al Jolson, and Mark Twain are only a few of the notables who have swept through the . . . — Map (db m6017) HM
Enoch Pratt (1806-1896) moved to Baltimore in 1831 to launch a wholesale hardware business on South Charles Street. By 1851 he had invested in western Maryland coal mines and iron foundries in the Baltimore neighborhood of Canton. He made his own . . . — Map (db m10250) HM
This building, designed in 1889 in the Richardson-Sullivan tradition by Charles L. Carson and Joseph Evans Sperry, was considered the first skyscraper to be erected in Baltimore. It is the oldest of the existing structures on Monument Square and . . . — Map (db m6443) HM
In 1817, when Baltimore Town boasted 60,000 inhabitants and Mount Vernon Place was still a forest, a group of leading citizens met in the home of Henry Payson "to form a religious society and build a church for Christians who are Unitarian and . . . — Map (db m7168) HM
The Flag House was the home of Mary Pickersgill and the site where she sewed the Star-Spangled Banner.
Mary Pickersgill moved into the Flag House in 1807 with her mother, Rebecca Young, and her daughter Caroline, and set up a flag making shop.
. . . — Map (db m2723) HM
This 13-story building, completed in 1913, was designed by Baltimore architects J. B. Noel Wyatt and William G. Nolting. Reflecting a mixture of styles, this transitional building combines the Chicago windows, flat wall panes and flat skyline . . . — Map (db m7040) HM
The race to invent a gasoline-powered motor vehicle began in earnest in the 1890's. Most investors started with the modest idea of a two-seater, but William Thomas Harris, an engineer of this city, was more ambitious. He proposed a 15-passenger bus. . . . — Map (db m6309) HM
When this structure was completed in 1911, it was Baltimore's tallest office building. Of steel construction, faced with Bedford limestone on the lower floors, and brick and terra cotta above, the building stands as a monument of sorts to the whims . . . — Map (db m7319) HM
Established in 1857 by the philanthropist George Peabody, The Peabody Conservatory of Music was the first institution in America for the education of professional musicians. The list of those who have taught or studied here reads like a “Who’s . . . — Map (db m2411) HM
Philanthropist George Peabody founded the Institute in 1857 as a cultural center for the city's residents. In addition to establishing the first academy of music in America, the Institute originally comprised a public library, a lecture series, and . . . — Map (db m7950) HM
In 1857, George Peabody’s founding letter dedicated the Peabody Institute to the citizens of Baltimore in appreciation for their “kindness and hospitality.” The Massachusetts-born philanthropist eventually moved to London where he built . . . — Map (db m2410) HM
This structure is the oldest museum building in the United States. Designed by Robert Cary Long, Sr. for Rembrandt Peale, the museum opened to the public in 1814 as "an elegant Rendezvous for taste, curiosity and leisure." For a 25-cent admission . . . — Map (db m6305) HM
"Why, of all the multitudinous groups of people in this country, do you have to single out Negroes and give them separate treatment?" Thurgood Marshall reproached the Supreme Court with this and other questions in the landmark civil rights case . . . — Map (db m6636) HM
William T. Walters (1819-94) made his fortune in the liqour trade and in East Coast railroads. He assembled a splendid collection of 19th cenutry European painting and Asian art. When William died, he bequeathed his collection to his son Henry . . . — Map (db m10248) HM
"It is a fearful thing to lead this great, peaceful people into war, into the most terrible and disastrous of all wars, civilization itself seeming to be in the balance. But the right is more precious than the peace, and we shall fight for the . . . — Map (db m6294) HM
The Washington Monument, constructed between 1815 and 1829, was the nation's first formal tribute to the leader of the United States. Following the custom of the day, the design was chosen in a competition and the cost defrayed by a public lottery. . . . — Map (db m90316) HM
Wendel Bollman, one of a handful of men who transformed bridge-building from an art into a science, was born on this site to German parents on January 21, 1814.
Largely self-educated, Bollman acquired his engineering knowledge and experience at . . . — Map (db m7038) HM
Originally called the Western .... Here lie the graves of Revolutionary patriots, veterans of the War of 1812, and many of Baltimore's most distinguished ... including Mayor James Calhoun, Colonel James McHenry, and General Samuel Smith. ... . . . — Map (db m6620) HM
Founder in 1755, Zion Church is the oldest Lutheran congregation in Maryland. German Lutherans began settling in Baltimore Town shortly after it was laid out in 1730. Relying on itinerant preachers from Pennsylvania, the small struggling community . . . — Map (db m2714) HM