Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Maryland, Washington County Historical Advisory Committee Historical Markers

 
Marker location image, Click for more information
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 10, 2008
Marker location
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Gettysburg CampaignThe Battle of Boonsboro
Two U.S. Cavalry divisions repulsed five rebel cavalry brigades in a day-long fight north of Boonsboro on July 8, 1863. The South Mountain passes remained open to the Federal Army in pursuit of the Confederates retreating from Gettyburg via . . . — Map (db m7008) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Boonsboro — Roxbury Mills Bridge
This bridge was built in 1824, in close proximity to Roxbury Mills, an early sawmill and later a large distillery complex which operated into the 20th century. A three-arch bridge over the Antietam, it was one of a series of bridges built for the . . . — Map (db m5036) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Claggett’s Millrace Bridge
Although it vaults only a millrace deflected from Antietam Creek proper, this small but well-designed one-arch bridge is typical of many others that have not survived at mill sites in the county. It is not certain that John Weaver built this 53' . . . — Map (db m5669) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Claggett's Mill Bridge
This three-arch bridge over Antietam Creek was completed by John Weaver in 1840 for $2,800. It was near the mill operated for generations by the Claggett family. The house, barn, and outbuildings of the Claggett estate, "Valentia," stand nearby. . . . — Map (db m5031) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Funkstown Bridge No. 2
This bridge over Antietam Creek at Funkstown was built in 1833 by George Weaver for $1,800. At this site was Shafer’s Mill where flour was ground. The most notable feature of this bridge is the graduated size of its three arches, growing larger from . . . — Map (db m2009) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Funkstown — Rose's Mill Bridge
This handsome three-arch bridge over Antietam Creek was constructed by John Weaver in 1839 and was specially adapted to the grain mill which was built at the same time. The westernmost of the three arches was designed to accommodate the millrace . . . — Map (db m4930) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Christian Newcomer Home
Christian Newcomer, 1749-1830, was one of the founders of the Church of the United Brethren in Christ, the first American-born denomination. He moved to Washington County in 1775 and in his journal described crossing the Allegany Mountains ... . . . — Map (db m6789) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Hagerstown Ransomed
On July 6th, 1864, Confederate Cavalry General John McCausland and his 1,500 troops demanded a ransom of $20,000 from Hagerstown, or the town would be burned. Three local banks gave up the money, underwritten by the town council. After the war, a . . . — Map (db m6530) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Old Forge Bridge
This three-arch bridge was erected at a cost $2,800 by W. H. Eirely in 1863 over a ford in Antietam Creek. The east arch of this bridge spans a path once used for cattle. A forge, part of a large ironworks operation owned by the Hughes brothers, was . . . — Map (db m6521) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Hagerstown — Old Forge Farm
The main block of this house was built in 1762 by Ceorge French. In 1764, it was purchaed by the Hughes family and was Daniel Hughes' home until his death in 1818. He added the wing to the east. Hughes and his borther Samuel were iron manufacturers . . . — Map (db m6535) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Felfoot Bridge
Built in 1854 by George Burgan for $1,550, this bridge spans Little Antietam Creek and stands on "Felfoot" a tract of land originally surveyed in 1734 and patented to Thomas Swearingen in 1737. An unusual feature of this bridge is the squared . . . — Map (db m4929) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hess’s Mill Bridge
This two-arch bridge was built by John Weaver in 1832. It is unique in that one arch is so much larger than the other. The smaller arch may have accommodated the millrace which was located on that side of the Little Antietam and served the mill that . . . — Map (db m2003) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hitt Bridge
This three-arch span with its unusually high center arch was built in 1830 over a ford in the Antietam Creek that was used by Braddock's army in 1755. Samuel Hitt was instrumental in financing this bridge, which was built by Silas Harry, as agent . . . — Map (db m3201) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Hitt-Cost House
The main timber-frame portion of the house was built by the Hitt family before 1790. A log addition was added in the 1830's by the Cost family, nearly doubling the size of the house. After the battle of Antietam, it was used as a hospital and later . . . — Map (db m6777) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Pry Mill
The 20.25 acre property on Little Antietam Creek was bequeathed to Samuel Merritt Hitt by Robert Smith on October 28, 1818. A two-story, two-section grist and sawmill was constructed about 1820 by Hitt, who diverted the established road so traffic . . . — Map (db m3202) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Keedysville — Pry’s Mill Bridge
This two-arch bridge was built over the Little Antietam Creek by George Burgan for $1,650 in 1858. Its cutwaters, the upstream pier bulwarks designed to divide the current and break up ice flows and log jams, are unique in that they are shaped like . . . — Map (db m2004) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Lappans Crossroads — Booth’s Mill Bridge
Built in 1833 by Charles Wilson for $2,700, this three-archer over Antietam Creek has spans of 45', 43' and 45'. It replaced a wooden bridge near the site of a powder mill. Also known as the Delamere Bridge, it is near the pillared mansion . . . — Map (db m1983) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Leitersburg — Leitersburg Bridge No. 2
This is the first of two bridges built in 1839 by John Weaver. The two-arch span rises steeply over the Antietam Creek and is unusual because of the lateral curve in its roadbed. It was long known as Strite's Mill Bridge because of a mill to the . . . — Map (db m6525) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Locust Grove — Park Hall Road
Parks Hall (later called Park Hall) was the first land grant in the area that was to become Washington County. This 1550 acre tract was surveyed September 9, 1731, and patented to William Parks on November 24, 1732. It included the land on which . . . — Map (db m7310) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Antietam Iron Works Bridge
This four-arch stone bridge spanning the Antietam Creek was built in 1832 by John Weaver. It is located at the site of a large ironworks complex, first known as the Frederick Forge and later as the Antietam Iron Works which operated intermittently . . . — Map (db m3206) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — First Methodist Cemetery
The First Methodist Church in Sharpsburg acquired this property in 1819 and built a small, brick church here. The first burial was in 1828. This church was torn down when the congregation built a new church at 125 West Main Street in 1857. — Map (db m7338) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Lutheran Cemetery
In March of 1768, Colonel Joseph Chapline executed a deed to the Mount Cavalry Lutheran Church Vestrymen for a church and burial ground at this site. The cost was to be one peppercorn yearly. This graveyard is the oldest in the town of Sharpsburg. . . . — Map (db m7339) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Middle Bridge
This is the location of the famous "Middle Bridge," one of three bridges involved with the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862. The upper (Hitt) bridge and lower (Burnside) bridge are still standing. This three-arch stone bridge was destroyed by . . . — Map (db m3205) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Sharpsburg — Reformed Cemetery
In August 1774, trustees of Sharpsburg's Reformed Church purchased this lot and built their church and school. The first burial was in 1775. In 1833, a new church was built at 117 West Main Street. Burials ceased here in 1883 when Mt. View Cemetery . . . — Map (db m7337) HM
Maryland (Washington County), Smithsburg — Gettysburg Campaign
On the afternoon of July 5th, 1863, Federal cavalry defended Smithsburg from attack by General J.E.B. Stuart’s Confederate cavalry, as the rebel retreat from Gettysburg began. At dark, U.S. General Judson Kilpatrick’s cavalry withdrew to Boonsboro, . . . — Map (db m1997) HM

25 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement