Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal Historical Markers

Built between 1835 and 1839, the 45-mile long Susquehanna (PA) and Tidewater (MD) Canal ran from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania to Havre de Grace, Maryland.
 
Remains of a Lock image, Click for more information
By Beverly Pfingsten, July 21, 2007
Remains of a Lock
Maryland (Cecil County), Conowingo — The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal
The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road. — Map (db m1801) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Darlington — Berkley Crossroads
A hamlet settled in the late eighteenth century by free blacks and whites. The Hosanna School built in 1867, was Harford County's first public school for African Americans. Travelers, local farms, and industries such as milling, mining, quarrying, . . . — Map (db m79470) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — How a Lock Works
Instead of following the slope of the land, as rivers and streams do, a canal periodically takes a vertical step between long stretches of flat water. Locks were constructed at each vertical step to accomplish moving barges up and down between each . . . — Map (db m1493) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — Rock Run Landing
Part of “Land of Promise” tract. Original mill (1760), present grist mill (1794), first Susquehanna River Bridge (1818) and Barge Canal (1839) made through this hamlet a thriving commercial center. Surviving are Millerís House, the Mill, . . . — Map (db m1241) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Lock House
The Lock House is located at the southern terminus of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal, which operated from 1840-1897. The canal was pivotal in the development of the Lower Susquehanna River Valley. It connected with the Pennsylvania Canal at . . . — Map (db m1492) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Havre de Grace — The Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
The 45-mile long Susquehanna (PA) and Tidewater (MD) Canal ran from Wrightsville, Pennsylvania to Havre de Grace, Maryland. The canal was built between 1835 and 1839 in order to improve commerce on the Susquehanna River. The new canal would connect . . . — Map (db m1494) HM
Maryland (Harford County), Whiteford — Peach Bottom Slate Region
A ridge of high quality slate running from southeastern Pennsylvania into Harford County, Maryland, was quarried on a limited scale as early as 1734. Production increased in the 1840s when the opening of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal offered a . . . — Map (db m1285) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Airville — Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
Chartered by Pennsylvania, 1835; run by the canal company, 1840-1872, and the Reading Railroad till 1894. Followed the river for 45 miles below Columbia. — Map (db m5849) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Airville — Susquehanna Canal
Now housing the Tucquan Club, the nearby stone building was originally a warehouse for deposit and shipping on the canal. Masonry fragments and a portion of the canal-bed may be seen nearby. — Map (db m5850) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Delta — Lock No. 12 ó Link with the Past
Just north of this spot are the walls of what was once lock No. 12 of the old Susquehanna & Tidewater Canal, which paralleled the Susquehanna River 45 miles between Wrightsville, PA and Havre De Grace, MD. Built in 1836-39 and opened in 1840, the . . . — Map (db m42504) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
Chartered by Pennsylvania, 1835; run by the canal company, 1840 - 1872, and the Reading Railroad till 1894. Followed the river for 45 miles below Columbia. — Map (db m5067) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
Chartered by Pennsylvania, 1835; run by the canal company, 1840-1872, and the Reading Railroad till 1894. Followed the river for 45 miles below Columbia. — Map (db m5857) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — Susquehanna Canal
Masonry visible beside the river remains from a lock of the canal which carried goods southward from Columbia, and provided an outlet for trade from Pennsylvania to Baltimore. — Map (db m5854) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — The Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal
Before the hydroelectric companies built dams on the river in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the lower reaches of the Susquehanna were shallow, rocky, and virtually unnavigable. In the 1830s, Baltimore merchants campaigned for . . . — Map (db m5078) HM
Pennsylvania (York County), Wrightsville — Wrightsville
Gateway to the West - Wrightsville was settled in the 1720s by Quakers, including the John Wright family. Wright established a ferry and Wrightsville became a major point of crossing the Susquehanna River by pioneers traveling west. In 1811 Jacob . . . — Map (db m5065) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement