Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Florida, St. Augustine Freedom Trail Historical Markers

 
The Fullerwood School image, Click for more information
By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin, March 5, 2011
The Fullerwood School
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 10 Hildreth Drive ACCORD Freedom Trail
Fullerwood School was built in 1927 and is the only example in St. Augustine of the work of noted architect A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878-1940), famed for his courthouses, banks, and city halls in New Orleans, Miami and Atlanta. His name is on the . . . — Map (db m40725) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 102 M.L. King Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
This area in the heart of Lincolnville was associated with black education for nearly a century. This lot was the site of the Presbyterian Parochial and Industrial School, headed by Rev. James H. Cooper. It was demolished in 1940 and the grounds . . . — Map (db m40701) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 1074 W King Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
This was the home of Mrs. Georgie Mae Reed (1926-1995), who took part in one of the most famous events in the civil rights movement that changed America and inspired the world. On March 31, 1964, Mrs. Reed was one of five St. Augustine women who . . . — Map (db m65420) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 112 M.L. King Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built between 1904 and 1910 on what was then called Central Avenue. The name was changed in 1986. There are many streets in America named to honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., but this one is special because he actually walked on it . . . — Map (db m17915) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 120 DeHaven Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built in the 1920s and purchased a decade later by Jutson Ayers, who worked as an alligator wrestler for a quarter of a century at the St. Augustine Alligator Farm before his death in 1958. His widow, Mrs. Rena Ayers, gave important . . . — Map (db m17914) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 156 M.L. King Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
The house at 156 Central Avenue was built in the 1950's for Mrs. Janie Price, a nurse at Flagler Hospital. She had taken her nurse's training at Grady Hospital in Atlanta in the 1940s and while there had attended dances with students from Morehouse . . . — Map (db m7627) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 160 M.L. King Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
The southern half of Lincolnville was, in colonial times, a plantation called "Buena Esperanza" (Spanish for "Good Hope"). During the Flagler Era of the 1880s, it was bought by Standard Oil millionaire William Warden and developed as a residential . . . — Map (db m40699) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 177 Twine Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
The event that brought the civil rights movement in St. Augustine to international attention was the arrest of Mary Parkman Peabody (1891-1981), the 72-year old mother of the Governor of Massachusetts, for trying to be served in a racially . . . — Map (db m7610) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 262 West King Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
Leo C. Chase, Sr., who had previously managed the Huff Funeral Home in Lincolnville, opened one of the oldest businesses in St. Augustine, this funeral home in 1955. His son, Arnett Chase, took over after his father's death in 1977. Another son, Leo . . . — Map (db m40723) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 31 King Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
The Ponce de Leon Shopping Center opened in 1955 as the first downtown shopping center in St. Augustine. It was designated by Morris Lapidus (1902-2001), Florida's most famous mid-twentieth century architect, and is the only example of his work in . . . — Map (db m7696) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 33 Bernard Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
Bernard Street is one of three historically black residential streets in the North City area, dating back to the Flagler Era. At the west end of the street were a lumber yard, steam laundry, and ice plant that provided employment. Other residents . . . — Map (db m17913) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 57 Chapin Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
57 Chapin Street was once the home of Willie Galimore (1935-1964), the most famous athlete to come from St. Augustine. A three-time Pittsburgh Courier All-American football player at Florida A & M University under the legendary coach Jake Gaither, . . . — Map (db m7732) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 64 Washington Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
64 Washington Street was the Florida State Headquarters of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) during and after the civil rights demonstrations of 1964. SCLC was founded in 1957 by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. after the successful . . . — Map (db m7607) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 650 Julia Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
This house was built in 2008 by Habitat for Humanity for one of the Ancient City's civil rights heroes, Audrey Nell Edwards. Along with JoeAnn Anderson Ulmer, Samuel White, and Willie Carl Singleton, she was one of the "St. Augustine Four." As young . . . — Map (db m40724) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 79 Bridge Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
The Rudcarlie Building at 79 Bridge Street was built in the 1950's by Dr. Rudolph N. Gordon (1901-1959) and named for the members of his family. Rudolph, Carlotta, and Rosalie. It was the first medical/dental office constructed in St. Augustine . . . — Map (db m7640) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 8 Dr. R.B. Hayling Place ACCORD Freedom Trail
The house at 8 Scott Street was built in the 1950s as part of Rollins Subdivision, a new residential area where many prominent black St. Augustinians made their homes. In the early 1960s it was the residence of Dr. Robert B. Hayling and family. A . . . — Map (db m7628) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 81 Bridge Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
This Victorian house in the historic Lincolnville neighborhood (founded by freed slaves after the Civil War) became a civil rights landmark in 1964. It was a gathering place for people in the movement, where they could meet, rest, seek solace, and . . . — Map (db m40729) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 94 South Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
This has been the home to the Whites, one of the outstanding families active in the 1963-1964 civil rights movement in St. Augustine. Parents James (a decorated Buffalo Soldier from World War II) and Hattie Lee White both took part in demonstrations . . . — Map (db m40700) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 96 Evergreen Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
Zion Baptist Church, with its distinctive double towers, was built in 1921 to house a congregation originally organized in 1886. It is the last house of worship passed by many funerals on their way to several nearby cemeteries, including the one . . . — Map (db m7803) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — 97 M.L. King Avenue ACCORD Freedom Trail
97 Martin Luther King Avenue was built in the 1920s by Frederick E. Martin, a prominent Lincolnville businessman whose name is set in the tile inside the front door. It was a popular confectionery and sundries store under many owners, drawing some . . . — Map (db m7727) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — Gault Street ACCORD Freedom Trail
Gault Street was one of the historically black residential streets in North City. Many residents worked at the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind, the Fountain of Youth, laundries and ice plants that were once located in the area. Three . . . — Map (db m7580) HM
Florida (Saint Johns County), St. Augustine — St. Augustine Beach Wade-Ins ACCORD Freedom Trail
Some of the most widely-publicized events of the civil rights movement took place at St. Augustine Beach in the summer of 1964, when wade-ins were conducted at what had historically been a beach reserved for “Whites Only”. Many . . . — Map (db m40727) HM

22 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement