Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission Historical Markers

Marking significant historic sites throughout the county since 1975.
 
Bartleyville Marker image, Click for more information
By Alan Edelson, September 14, 2009
Bartleyville Marker
New Jersey (Morris County), Bartley — Bartleyville
In 1861 the Wm. Bartley & Sons foundry was established here along the South Branch of the Raritan River. Workers made bridges, farm machinery, steam engines, and turbines. The High Bridge branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey gave the foundry . . . — Map (db m22514) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Boonton Railroad Station
The DL&W Railroad built this prairie style station in 1904. Passenger trains served the growing commuter population. Freight trains delivered coal to heat homes and power local mills, then departed with products headed to market. Morris . . . — Map (db m33493) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Dr. John Taylor House1898
Dr. Taylor resided and practiced medicine here. Dwelling purchased 1921 by town of Boonton as memorial to World War I veterans. Town Hall until 1965. Headquarters, Post 124, American Legion. — Map (db m33494) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Holmes Library
Original Greek Revival dwelling built for commercial use 1849. Purchased for residence 1856 by James Holmes, prominent Boonton citizen. Building enlarged and converted to Holmes Library 1893. National Register of Historic Places • New Jersey . . . — Map (db m37923) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Chatham Historic District
. . . — Map (db m8877) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Gibbons Horse BarnCirca 1834
William Gibbons, prominent racing patron, built stable to house his thoroughbred racehorses, including Fashion, "Queen of the American Turf". Barn is an outstanding example of an early 19th century horse barn. — Map (db m19595) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — New Jersey Journal
During the Revolution, former soldier Shepard Kollock printed the New Jersey Journal on this site “to maintain the cause of freedom” and serve the army in Morristown. The Journal, north Jersey’s only wartime newspaper, founded in 1779, . . . — Map (db m8878) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham Township — Mount Vernon SchoolDistrict 78
Built around 1860 as one room schoolhouse. Served until 1928 as one of four township schools. Renovated as Chatham Township Hall 1959. — Map (db m8879) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Brick Tavern1810 - 1812
Federal style structure built for Zephaniah Drake as stage coach stop. Purchased 1854 by William Rankin who added two wings, and converted inn to Chester Institute. — Map (db m20328) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Cooper Gristmill1826
Original gristmill circa 1788. Owned by Elias Howell. Present gristmill built 1826 by Nathan Cooper. Only surviving structure of the industrial community, Milltown, — Map (db m20322) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — First Congregational Church
Congregation, organized 1740. Oldest of this denomination west of the Hudson River. Built 1856. Notable for Greek Revival architecture and rare interior Trompe L'Oeil painting. — Map (db m23022) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Merchiston Farm1911 - 1959
Home of Martha Brookes Hutcheson, prominent early woman landscape architect who transformed this 18th century working farm into outstanding example of natural and classic landscape design. — Map (db m33169) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Halfway House
A Revolutionary tavern, owned by Colonel Ellis Cook, member of the Morris County Militia. The tavern derived its name from Sussex County farmers who stopped here enroute to Newark markets. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register . . . — Map (db m32272) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Hanover Presbyterian Church
Oldest Religious congregation in Morris County, established in 1718. Relocated at Meeting House here in 1755. Present church built in 1835. — Map (db m32273) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Morris County
Founded 1739. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here, 1777, and 1779 – 1780. Major iron-producing center in the nation during the 19th century. — Map (db m33487) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Florham Park — Columbia School District   No. 51866
Built on site of 1830 wooden school. Present structure predates Florham Park borough by 33 years. Classes held here continuously until 1914. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of . . . — Map (db m36415) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Florham Park — Hedges – Fish HomesteadCirca 1751
Property acquired by Deacon Gideon Hedges, and still owned by Fish descendants. Farm contracted to supply Continental Army with oats For forage 1779. — Map (db m43324) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Hanover — Village of Monroe1715
Founded by Demas Ford, this village was located on the King’s Road (now Whippany Road) and became a stagecoach stop between Morristown and Whippany. — Map (db m36410) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin
1847 Gothic Revival villa, “Mount Kemble,” built for Henry and Frances Duer Hoyt on the site of the house of colonial official Peter Kemble, reluctant host to Continental Army. Renamed “Glen Alpin” by David H. McAlpin in . . . — Map (db m8594) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Kinnelon — Great Charlotteburg Furnace Tract1765
In this area, Peter Hasenclever built iron works for the “American Company.” Operation of furnace and three forges later managed by John-Jacob Faesch and Robert Erskine. — Map (db m21129) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — German Valley
Palatine Germans seeking refuge from war and famine settled here c1740. By 1760 they had established farms and mills as well as Lutheran and German reformed Congregations. Many of the stone houses they built still stand. In July 1918 during World . . . — Map (db m73488) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — Old Stone Union Church1774
The site of the pastorate of Henry M. Muhlenberg D.D. Known as the father of Lutheranism in America — Map (db m22663) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Mead Hall1836
Greek Revival mansion, built by William Gibbons, part of estate, "The Forest". Purchased 1868 by Daniel Drew for Drew Theological Seminary. Mansion named for Roxanne Mead Drew. New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m32994) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Miller's Station
Pre-Revolutionary house owned by Josiah Miller. Inherited by his son Luke, Major in the Morris County Militia. Property remained in family until 1889. — Map (db m36336) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Black Horse Inn
Farmhouse home of Ebenezer Byram, one of Mendham's founding fathers. In 1742 opened as tavern to travelers. In continuous operation as hostelry over two hundred years. — Map (db m18219) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Brookside Historic District"Water Street"
Water power and natural resources made this a busy industrial village from the early 18th century through 1900. Visible today are waterways that powered sawmills, grist mills, wagon shops, a glass factory, and cottage industries. — Map (db m36860) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Hilltop Church1745
The original church chartered in 1745. Served as a hospital for the Continental Army in 1777. The present church was built in 1860. — Map (db m32997) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Lebbeus Dod Housecirca 1750
Lebbeus Dod, Captain of the Morris County Militia during the Revolution; also renowned craftsman noted for his clocks and mathematical instruments. — Map (db m18218) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Ralston District of Mendhamcirca 1742
Logan's grist mill supplied food to Washington's troops during Jockey Hollow encampment. John Ralston, early industrialist, occupied the manor house 1786-1819, and operated the general store, subsequently a post office 1892-1941. — Map (db m18217) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Union School1851
Built and operated as a one room school until 1928, when students transferred to Mendham Borough School. Remodelled as private dwelling after acquisition by Schiff Scout Reservation, 1941 — Map (db m16981) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Washington Valley Schoolhouse1869
Built on site of original 1813 "Brick School". Educated 30-40 children yearly until 1913. Served as a Sunday School 1875-1937. In continuous use as a community meeting place since 1851. — Map (db m36859) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Millington — Millington Schoolhouse #74
Built in early 19th century as one room school. Classes held continuously until 1926. Addition added 1910. Since 1928 used as Passaic Township Hall. Public school classes discontinued in 1933. — Map (db m32987) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Millington — Morris County
Founded 1739. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here, 1777, and 1779-1780. Major iron-producing center in the nation during the 19th century. — Map (db m20153) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Mountain School1810
Oldest schoolhouse still standing in Morris township. Addition built in 1899. School held here continuously from 1810-1914. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m8595) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Park of Artillery
. . . — Map (db m9662) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris Plains — Glenbrook
Original dwelling built by Ebenezer Stiles about 1752. Lighthorsemen quartered here during Revolution. House enlarged 1868 by Jonathan Roberts, founder of Library Association 1881. — Map (db m33491) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Acorn Hall1853
Victorian Italianate house purchased by Augustus Crane 1857. Home until 1971 of Crane- Hone family who contributed greatly to Morristown civic, cultural and business life. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m36406) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Alnwick Hall1904
Built during Morristown’s Gilded Age for General Edward Meany, New Jersey Advocate General, 1893, and a Director of American Telephone and Telegraph Company. Architecture reflects English Medieval Castle influence. — Map (db m42203) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Campfield HouseCirca 1760
Home of Jabez Campfield, where Alexander Hamilton courted Betsy Schuyler in 1780. Her uncle, Surgeon General of the Continental Army, Dr. John Cochran, quartered here. — Map (db m7360) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Church of the Assumption1872
Gothic revival building is oldest standing church in Morristown. Replaced 1848 wooden church which ministered to Irish immigrant families in surrounding Dublin area. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m32678) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fosterfields – 1854
Neo-gothic house built by General Joseph Revere, grandson of Paul Revere. Purchased 1881 by Charles Foster, whose daughter, Caroline, donated the property as living farm to Morris County Park Commission in 1973. Morris County Heritage . . . — Map (db m42209) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Jewish Community Center1929
First Jewish place of worship in Morristown incorporated 1899. Present center, housing synagogue, chapel, Hebrew school and related organizations built by descendants of original congregation. — Map (db m32673) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morris County Court House1827
One of the finest examples of public buildings in the Federal style in New Jersey. Original Court House on the Green built in 1755. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m9689) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Mt. Kemble Home
Non-sectarian home for deserving elderly women founded by women members of Morristown Presbyterian Church. In continuous service since 1883. Known as “Old Ladies Home” until present name adopted 1950. Morris County Heritage . . . — Map (db m33834) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Powder Mill1776
New Jersey’s Revolutionary War powder mill, built near this site by Jacob Ford, Jr. in 1776, supplied critically needed gun powder to the Continental Troops. — Map (db m42210) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Saint Peter’s Church
The churches of Medieval England inspired the design of this gothic revival edifice by architects McKim, Mead, and White. Built 1887 – 1911, it replaced an 1828 structure. Features include English stained glass, a 49-bell carillon, a rood . . . — Map (db m32676) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Sansay HouseCirca 1807
Monsieur Louis Sansay, French dancing school here. House was site of ball honoring Lafayette in 1825. Later home of General Joseph Revere. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places Morris County Heritage . . . — Map (db m32669) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Cutler Homestead1799
Home of Silas Condict, colonial patriot, and subsequently home of General Joseph Cutler and his son, Augustus, congressman and father of the Free School System. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m42204) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Green - 1715
Site of Morris County's two earliest court houses. The Green, purchased in 1816 from the Presbyterian Church, owned and continuously administered by the trustees of the Morristown Green. — Map (db m5948) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Seeing Eye
World famous center for training dogs to lead blind persons. Founded in 1929 by Dorothy Harrison Eustis as first dog guide school an United States. Present headquarters built 1965. — Map (db m36858) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Timothy Mills House1740
Oldest house in Morristown on its original site. Home of a patriot, artisan, government official and Presbyterian Elder. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic . . . — Map (db m42205) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Vail Homestead Farm
Stephen Vail, owner of Speedwell Iron Works, built machinery for S.S. Savannah, first trans-Atlantic steamship, in 1819. His son, Alfred Vail, and Samuel Morse first publicly demonstrated electromagnetic telegraph in 1838.National Register of . . . — Map (db m32694) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Whippany Farm1891
Georgian mansion built as summer home by George Frelinghuysen during Morristown’s “Golden Era.” His daughter, Matilda, donated property as arboretum to Morris County Park Commission, 1969. Morris County Heritage Commission New . . . — Map (db m33180) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Netcong — Lake Musconetcong
Created in 1846 as the Morris Canal’s Stanhope Reservoir. This lake supplied water that filled the canal and powered local industries. Mules treading an earthen causeway across the lake pulled boats loaded with coal, iron ore, or freight along a . . . — Map (db m37927) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — New Vernon Historic District
Crossroads community, first settled 1727. Contains homes representing Colonial, Greek Revival and Victorian architecture. Additional dwellings include former general store, blacksmith home, academy and Presbyterian Church. Morris County . . . — Map (db m8880) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Parsippany — Livingston – Benedict HouseCirca 1752
Revolutionary War refuge Home of William Livngston and his family. Livingston was the first elected Governor of New Jersey Morris County Heritage Commission National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places . . . — Map (db m33489) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — First Reformed Church
Congregation organized 1736 as Reformed Netherlands Dutch Church. Original church built 1771. Restored in 1937 after fire destroyed all but walls. Notable for Christopher Wren steeple. — Map (db m41904) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — Giles Mandeville House1788
Built by Giles Mandeville for his bride, Sarah Roome. Later served as Pompton Plains' first post office. Since 1953 manse of First Reformed Church — Map (db m41901) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Picatinny Arsenal
Established in 1880 as War Department’s first official powder depot. Site of 18th century Mt. Hope Ironworks. Major explosion devastated base 1926. Since 1977 major armament research and development center. — Map (db m51232) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Rockaway Presbyterian Church
First Meeting House built 1758. During struggle for Independence, church furnished leadership and public forum for patriots. Burying place of General William Winds. Present church built 1832. — Map (db m43327) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Stephen Jackson House
Captain Stephen Jackson – member of George Washington’s body- guard. The General stopped here for refreshments 1780. — Map (db m43325) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway Township — Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768
Manor house built by Jacob Ford, Jr. subsequently home of John Jacob Faesch who directed the iron mining operations which provided the Continental Army with ammunition and ordinance. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of . . . — Map (db m43330) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Roxbury — Daniel Cary House - 1771
In 1778, soldiers ill with small pox were brought here to relieve the overcrowding of the Succasunna Presbyterian Church, then used as a hospital. — Map (db m33181) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Sterling — Village of Sterling1871
This planned industrial village, constructed when the railroad was built, included small factories, workers housing, stores, churches, and a school. Silk manufacturing drew skilled immigrants here from Europe and the Middle East. — Map (db m20154) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Stirling — Sentinel Elms
Pre-Revolutionary center section of building was home of Cornelius Ludlow, Colonel in Eastern Battalion of Morris County Militia, and later Morris County judge. — Map (db m19590) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Succasanna — First Presbyterian Church at Suckasunny Plains
Congregation organized 1756. First Meeting House erected about 1760. Used as hospital and arsenal for Continental Army in 1777. Present church built 1853. Burying place of Governor Mahlon Dickerson. — Map (db m33182) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Towaco — Henry Doremus House
Circa 1760 Dutch Stone House where George Washington and Alexander Hamilton stayed June 25-27, 1780, following the Battle of Springfield. French forces under Gen. Rochambeau rested in the orchard August 27, 1781, en route to Yorktown. . . . — Map (db m33492) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Washington Township — Drakestown
This village spanning Mt. Olive and Washington Townships arose after Ebenezer Drake bought 200 acres here in 1759. An early tavern closed by the mid-1800s. By 1837 a school, store, and post office served local farm families. The 1855 Methodist . . . — Map (db m22515) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — The Old Iron WorksCirca - 1710
Site of the first known iron forge in Morris county. Operated by John Ford and John Budd on the bank of the Whippany River. — Map (db m36413) HM

69 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement