HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
North Carolina Markers
2444 markers matched your search criteria. Markers 501 through 751 are listed. Previous 250 Next 1694
North Carolina (Columbus County), Whiteville — D 74 — Millie ~ Christine McKoy
Black Siamese twins born near here, 1851. exhibited in U.S. and Europe. Died in 1912. Grave is five miles N. — Map (db m20458) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), Dover — C 78 — Ervin T. Rouse1917-1981
Fiddler and songwriter. Penned widely-recorded "Orange Blossom Special," bluegrass standard (1938). He was born ¼ mile S.E. — Map (db m76943) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), Fort Barnwell — C-32 — Fort Barnwell
Constructed by Colonel John Barnwell of South Carolina in campaign against the Tuscarora Indians in April, 1712. Remains are 2 mi. N. E. — Map (db m65699) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), Fort Barnwell — C-17 — Washington's Southern Tour
President Washington, on April 20, 1791, was a guest at the home of Col. John Allen, which was 5 mi. E. — Map (db m64980) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), Havelock — C-68 — Cherry Point
U.S. Marine Corps Air Station activated 1941 as Cunningham Field for first USMC aviator A.A. Cunningham. MCAS Cherry Point since May 1942. — Map (db m67558) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), James City — C 25 — Fort Point
Site of Fort Caswell, built by N.C., 1775-76, to protect New Bern, renamed Fort Lane by Confederacy. Taken by U.S., Mar., 1862. ½ mi. E. — Map (db m77005) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — A National Cemetery System
Civil War Dead An estimated 700,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died in the Civil War between April 1861 an April 1865. As the death toll rose, the U.S. government struggled with the urgent but unplanned need to bury fallen Union troops. This propelled the creation of the national cemetery system. On September 11, 1861, the War Department directed commanding officers to keep “accurate and permanent records of deceased soldiers.” It also required the U.S. Army . . . — Map (db m76959) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Abner Nash
A resident of New Bern for fifteen years; born in Prince Edward County, Virginia, about 1740, but came to North Carolina in 1763; member of Colonial Assembly from Halifax Town in 1764 and 1765; from the County of Halifax in 1769, 1770 and 1771; Delegate from the Town of New Bern to the four Provincial Congresses 1773, 1774, 1775 and 1776; member of Provincial Council in 1775; Speaker of the first House of Commons in 1777; Senator from Jones County in 1779; Speaker of the Senate in 1780; . . . — Map (db m23831) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Attmore-Oliver HouseUnder the Stars & Bars
Like many other North Carolinians, New Bern’s residents enjoyed close economic and family ties with the North and were reluctant to leave the Union. Once the war began, however, many North Carolinians passionately supported the Confederate cause: 125,000 bore arms for the Confederacy and 40,000 died. No other Southern state provided as many fighting men or suffered as many deaths. The men who lived here in the Attmore-Oliver House, which Hannah Attmore Oliver inherited just before the . . . — Map (db m76993) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 51 — Batchelder's Creek
Site of Union outpost captured by Confederate Generals Hoke & Pickett on February 1, 1864. The earthworks are 300 yards North. — Map (db m76944) WM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Battle of New BernSmoke and Flames — Burnside Expedition
On March 13, 1862, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside prepared to capture New Bern after seizing Roanoke Island in February. Confederate Gen. Lawrence O’B. Branch defended the city in a line of fortifications located several miles down the Neuse River, but by late in the morning of March 14, Burnside’s overwhelming force had breached the line. The Confederates retreated to Kinston. Eleven thousand Federal troops were about to descend on New Bern with a large fleet of United States Navy gunboats . . . — Map (db m77003) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 11 — Battle of New Bern
The victory of Union General Ambrose Burnside here on March 14, 1862, caused the fall of New Bern. — Map (db m77008) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Battle of New Bern
The above map is self-explanatory. For a detailed account of the battle please read the large map-marker "Battle of New Bern" on Us. Highway 17 at New Bern, 5¼ west of this road. The Croatan Earthwork, an extensive fortification not used during the battle, can be seen 6-3/10 miles southeast on this highway. Here, extensive earthworks can be seen on both sides of the highway in a direct line with this marker. Troops engaged in the Battle of New Bern: Union: Major General Ambrose . . . — Map (db m77014) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 20 — Bayard v. Singleton
American precedent for judicial review of legislation set nearby, 1787, by Samuel Ashe, Samuel Spencer, John Williams. — Map (db m76990) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-20 — Bayard vs Singleton
Early American precedent for judicial review of legislation, was decided nearby, 1787, by Judges Samuel Ashe, Samuel Spencer, John Williams. — Map (db m23502) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-60 — Caleb BradhamBirthplace of Pepsi-Cola — 1867-1934
"Brad's Drink," which he created in pharmacy here, was marketed as Pepsi-Cola after 1898. — Map (db m23507) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Cedar Grove CemeteryNew Bern, North Carolina
Those who died during the yellow fever epidemic in 1798-99 completely filled the Christ Episcopal churchyard cemetery. By 1800, the church had purchased five lots in the Dryborough area fronting on Queen Street. What was originally called the “Episcopal Cemetery” became, by 1853, the city cemetery and renamed Cedar Grove Cemetery. The marl perimeter wall and the entrance gates were added soon thereafter, and over the years the cemetery boundaries were extended. Cedar Grove . . . — Map (db m76965) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Centenary United Methodist Church
Established in 1772 during a visit to New Bern by Rev. Joseph Pilmoor. First known as Andrews Chapel and located Southwest of this site at Hancock St. and Church Alley. Centenary is the oldest continuing Methodist Church South and East of Baltimore. The present church building was completed in 1904. — Map (db m23743) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 42 — Christ Church
Episcopal. Craven Parish created 1715. First church erected 1750, this one in 1875. Communion service, given by George II, 1752, still in use. One block S. — Map (db m76988) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Craven County World Wars 1 and 2 Memorial
South face of monument, near the top: Sacred to the Memory of Craven County Dead of World War 1 and 2 Names are engraved on all four sides of the base: World War II Robert J. Conderman • Charles E. Cook • Elvin Allen Herring • Henry Purefoy Whitehurst Jr. • Wade Meadows Jr. • Furnifold M. Simmons • Douglas Peek • H. Edward Tilghman • Woodrow W. Connor • Donald Ivar Ryman • Clyde A Ballenger Jr. • Donald F. Patterson Jr. • Thomas Wetherington • Francis C. . . . — Map (db m24057) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — First House of Worship of Colonial Craven Parish
The walls on this site are erected over the brick and ballast stone foundation of the first house of worship of Colonial Craven Parish which was established in 1715. The brick Anglican Church was completed in 1750, and it continued in use until the early 1820s. The foundation underground is of the same thickness as these walls which provided the shape and form of the old church. Openings in the north and south walls indicate appropriate window locations in the church which stood here. George . . . — Map (db m24354) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — First Presbyterian Church
Formally organized on January 6, 1817 in the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Minor, First Presbyterian Church was formed under the leadership of the Rev. John Knox Witherspoon. Included among the charter members were the daughter and granddaughter of the Rev. Jonathan Edwards, D.D. In 1819 log number 309 on New Street was purchased. Construction of the sanctuary began June 9, 1819 with the laying of the cornerstone by Master Masons. Uriah Sandy was contractor, assisted by Martin Stevenson and John . . . — Map (db m23685) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1817, plaques on the interior walls recognize the thirteen founding members. Built in 1819 - 1821. It is the oldest Presbyterian Sanctuary in continuous use in North Carolina. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and as an American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Site. — Map (db m23688) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 3 — First Printing Press In N.C.
Est. 1749 by James Davis who published the first book and newspaper in colony. Shop was nearby. — Map (db m76987) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-50 — First Provincial Congress
In America to be called and held in defiance of British orders met in this town, Aug. 25-27, 1774, with 71 delegates present. — Map (db m23503) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-12 — Fort Totten
Here stood one of the forts built around New Bern by Union forces after they took the town in March, 1862. — Map (db m23555) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 14 — George E. Badger
Secretary of the Navy, 1841; United States Senator, 1846-55; judge of the superior court; staunch nationalist. Birthplace was 80yds S. — Map (db m76991) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-53 — George H. White — 1852 - 1918
Lawyer; member of N.C. legislature, 1881 & 1885. U.S. Congressmen, 1897-1901. Born into slavery. Home stands 2 blocks N. — Map (db m23512) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-74 — Graham A. Barden1896-1967
Congressman, 1935-61. Secured military bases for eastern N.C.; advocated Taft-Hartley labor relations act. Grave 4 blocks northwest. — Map (db m23505) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Greenwood CemeteryHistoric Burial Site
Greenwood Cemetery, established in 1882 on the grounds of an earlier cemetery, is New Bern’s second-oldest public cemetery and the first city-owned cemetery for African Americans. Thirteen grave markers are dated between 1816 and 1859. At least five men who served in the U.S. Colored Troops during the Civil War are buried here, as well as prominent African American legislator of the postwar period, James Edward O’Hara. O’Hara was born in New York City on February 26, 1844, the son of an . . . — Map (db m76972) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 64 — James City
Community founded here in 1863 as resettlement camp for freed slaves. Named for Horace James. Union Army chaplain. — Map (db m31206) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-33 — James Walker Hood
Asst. Superintendent Public Instruction, 1868-70; a founder Livingstone College, 1885; Bishop A.M.E. Zion Church; founded St. Peters, 1864. One blk. N. — Map (db m24053) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-1 — John Wright Stanly House
Home of Revolutionary War leader; and his son John, Congressman & state legislator. House moved and restored 1966-70 by the Tryon Palace Commission. — Map (db m23508) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — John Wright Stanly HouseA House Divided
This house was the birthplace of two men who fought on opposing sides during the Civil War: Edward Stanly, the Unionist military governor of North Carolina, and Confederate Gen. Lewis Addison Armistead, who was mortally wounded during the Battle of Gettysburg. Stanly, born here in 1810, accepted the post of military governor from President Abraham Lincoln in May 1862, in the hope that he might lead his hometown and state back into the Union. He was unsuccessful and resigned in March 1863. . . . — Map (db m75492) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Jones HouseConfederate Jail
This house was built about 1809 for John Jones, owner of a local turpentine distillery, and the west wing was added about 1820. After the U.S. Army defeated Confederate troops in the Battle of New Bern on March 14, 1862, and occupied the town, military authorities used the house as a jail for Confederate Sympathizers. According to local tradition, Union soldiers confined the notorious Confederate spy Emeline Pigott here. An ardent supporter of the Confederate cause who had served as a nurse, . . . — Map (db m75493) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 81 — King Solomon Lodge
First African American Masonic lodge in N.C.; est. 1865. Erected in 1870, the building was moved here in 1920s. — Map (db m76973) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-61 — New Bern Academy
First school chartered in N.C. Assembly levied a tax for its support in 1766. Present building was built in 1810. — Map (db m23658) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — New Bern AcademyFrom School to Hospital
In 1861, Confederate authorities converted the New Bern Academy from a school to a hospital. The U.S. Army commandeered the structure to care for the wounded almost immediately after defeating Confederate forces in the Battle of New Bern on March 14, 1862. Casualties were first moved here from temporary quarters on March 19. Ten days later, a newspaper reported that “ the General Hospital at Academy Green is full of severely wounded men, and those who have undergone amputation. Two houses . . . — Map (db m23659) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — New Bern Battlefield Park
New Bern Historical Society welcomes you to the New Bern Battlefield Park 300 Battlefield Parkway, New Bern, NC 28562 Here you will find pristinely preserved Confederate defensive earthworks on the 27 acres owned by the New Bern Historical Society. A ferocious battle was fought here on 14 March 1862. Call 252-638-8558 to arrange for a private tour, if desired. Or, take the Self-guided Walking Tour that directs you to the 15 spots along prepared trails explaining the actions and . . . — Map (db m77010) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — New Bern National CemeteryHonoring the Union Dead
On March 14, 1862, Union Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside captured New Bern after seizing Roanoke Island in February and moving his army inland. After the battle for the town, the Federals established hospitals in the New Bern Academy, the Masonic Lodge, and other structures, all later known as Foster General Hospital. After the war, the remains of Union dead buried in New Bern and the surrounding area, including Beaufort, Hatteras, and locations along the coast, were reinterred here. Confederate . . . — Map (db m76946) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 39 — Political Duel
John Stanly killed Richard Dobbs Spaight, former Governor of North Carolina, in a duel near this spot, September 5, 1802. — Map (db m76974) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 66 — Rains Brothers
Brig. Gen. Gabriel Rains and Col. George Rains, graduates of West Point, inventors of explosives for Confederacy. This was their boyhood home. — Map (db m76975) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Richard Dobbs Spaight1758-1802
First native-born N.C. governor, 1792-1795; a signer of the U.S. Constitution, 1787; killed in a duel. Grave here. — Map (db m41000) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Richard Dobbs SpaightBorn 1758 – Died 1802
Educated in Scotland at University of Glasgow; Aide-de-Camp to Major-General Richard Caswell during the Revolution, and Lieutenant-Colonel Commandant of Artillery after that war; representative of the Borough of New Bern for five terms and of the County of Craven for four terms in the North Carolina House of Commons; Speaker of the house of Commons; State Senator for two terms; member of the Continental Congress, and of the fifth and sixth Congresses of the United States; member of the National . . . — Map (db m45114) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — Richard Dobbs Spaight, the YoungerBorn 1790 – Died 1850
Graduate and for twenty-nine years a trustee of the University of North Carolina, member of the North Carolina House of Commons for one term, and of the State Senate for fourteen terms, member of the eighteenth Congress of the United States; Grand Master of the Masonic Grand Lodge of North Carolina for two terms, member of the State Constitutional Convention of 1835; and the last Governor of North Carolina elected by the General Assembly. — Map (db m45115) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — St. Peter's A.M.E. Zion Church
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m76961) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 2 — Tryon Palace
Historic Capitol and Governor's residence of N.C., 1770-1794. Burned 1798, and restored in 1952-1959. Open to the public. One block south. — Map (db m76997) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — U.S.C.G.C. Pamlico
U.S. Coast Guard Cutter stationed in New Bern from 1907 until 1947. — Map (db m62428) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-67 — USRC Diligence
U.S. Reserve Cutter built in N.C. 1791. Ship was commissioned in 1792 by Revenue Marine (now U.S. Coast Guard), ¼ miles west. — Map (db m62235) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C-19 — Washington's Southern Tour
President Washington visited in the Stanly home two nights, April 20-21, 1791. — Map (db m23509) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — C 6 — William Gaston1778-1844
Justice of N.C. Supreme Court, 1833-44; lawmaker. An advocate for state's Catholics. Wrote state song. "The Old North State." Lived 1 block N. — Map (db m76978) HM
North Carolina (Craven County), New Bern — William Henry SingletonFrom Slavery to Freedom
During the Civil War, thousands of enslaved blacks freed themselves by escaping to Union lines. Craven County native William Henry Singleton (1843-1938) was one of them. According to his biography, Recollections of My Slavery Days (1922), as a child he was sold south to Atlanta but later escaped and returned to Craven County, where his mother concealed him. Finally caught, he remained on a local plantation until the war, when he accompanied a local officer as his body servant. He escaped . . . — Map (db m24054) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — 20th Corps
1st Division 1st Brigade         2nd Brigade 5th Conn. 46th PA. 2nd Mass. 13th NJ 123rd NY. 141st NY. 107th NY. 150th NY. 3rd Wisc 3rd Brigade 82nd Ill. 101st Ill. 61st Oh. 82nd Oh. 143rd NY. 31st Wisc 3rd Division 1stBrigade         2nd Brigade 70th Ind. 102nd Ill. 33rd Ind. 85th Ind. 105th Ill. 129th Ill. 19th Mi. 22nd Wisc. 79th Oh. 3rd Brigade 20th Conn. 33rd Mass. 136th NY 26th Wisc. 55th Oh. 73rd Oh. Artillery 1st NY Light, Batteries I and M 1st Oh Light, Battery C . . . — Map (db m14737) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — Confederate First Line
General W. B. Taliaferro’s division occupied trenches crossing the road at this point, March 15-16, 1865. — Map (db m14734) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — I 74 — Federal Artillery
From a point 50 yards west three batteries of artillery under Major J. A. Reynolds shelled the Confederate first line of earthworks. — Map (db m31600) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — Federal Hospital
The 1865 home of William Smith, 100 yards East, was used as a hospital for Union troops in the Battle of Averasboro, March 15-16, 1865. — Map (db m14745) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — Oak Grove
Plantation home of John Smith, used as Confederate hospital during the Battle of Averasboro, March 16, 1865. — Map (db m41995) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — Rhett’s Brigade
The brigade of Colonel A.M. Rhett was repulsed 300 yards West on March 16, 1865, by Union troops under Colonel Henry Case. — Map (db m14736) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Dunn — Taliaferro’s Division
Elliott’s Brigade 22nd GA BN         28th GA BN Hanleiter’s BN         Manigault’s BN 2nd SC Heavy Arty BN Gist Guard Arty 6th NC BN Armory Guards Rhett’s Brigade 1st SC Inf (Reg) 1st SC Heavy Arty BN Lucas’s SC BN Artillery Batallion LeGardeur’s Btry Stuart’s Btry [ Rear of Marker: ] Dedicated to the Confederate Soldiers of Taliaferro’s Division who fought and died during the Battle of Averasboro March 15-16, 1865 — Map (db m14735) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — 1897 Poe House
Built in 1897 by Fayetteville businessman E. A. Poe and his wife, Josephine, the house is part of the Museum of the Cape Fear Historical Complex. It is representative of upper-middle-class homes of the period. Tours offer a glimpse of life in the early twentieth century and the social and economic changes that defined the era. — Map (db m24447) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Arsenal
This tablet marks the site of an important arsenal of the Confederate government. Authorized by the United States Congress, 1836; captured by North Carolina, April 22, 1861; transferred to the Confederate government, June 5, 1861; and destroyed by Major-General W.T. Sherman, March 11-14, 1865. ———————— Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry and the North Carolina Arsenal The Laying of the Cornerstone 19 April 1838 . . . — Map (db m24327) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Arsenal Park
Crises cause us to act. The crisis created by the United States' military unpreparedness during the War of 1812 resulted in the planning and building of additional arsenals for the nation's defense. Congress appropriated monies in 1836 for an “arsenal of deposite and general construction” (manufacture of arms) in Fayetteville. Many workshops and buildings were completed in the initial phase of construction (1839-1842); however, the town's inability to attract a railroad line . . . — Map (db m24362) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Arsenal Stones
These stones formed part of the foundations for buildings within the main arsenal compound. When United States troops destroyed the arsenal in 1865, local citizens salvaged usable building materials. The state moved these remaining stones when the freeway was cut in 1989. — Map (db m24359) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-53 — Babe Ruth
Hit his first home run in professional baseball, March, 1914, 135 yds. N.W. In this town George Herman Ruth acquired the nickname "Babe." — Map (db m24633) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-80 — Bank of the United States
Second national bank opened branch in 1818 in Fayetteville. Bank operated, 1820-1835, in house one block east. — Map (db m30882) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Burning of Clarendon BridgeConfederates Evacuate Fayetteville — Carolinas Campaign
(preface) The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman’s objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy’s logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston’s last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m70380) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-63 — C. M. Stedman1841 - 1930
Last Confederate officer in Congress, 1911-1930; lawyer & lt.-governor. Grave is 2 blks. east. — Map (db m30905) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-54 — Campbelton
Colonial river port, incorporated in 1762. Later merged with Cross Creek to form the town of Fayetteville. — Map (db m30872) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-32 — Charles W. Chesnutt1858 - 1932
Negro novelist and short story writer, teacher and lawyer. Taught in a school which stood here. — Map (db m30892) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-70 — Charter of the University of N. C.
William R. Davie's bill to charter the University was adopted by the General Assembly meeting nearby, Dec. 11, 1789. — Map (db m24399) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Confederate War Memorial
In memory of the Confederate Dead On Fames eternal camping ground Their silent Tents are spread. Rest on embalmed & sainted dead Dear as the blood ye gave. Nor shall your glory be forgot While Fame her record keeps Or honor points the hallowed spot Where valor proudly sleeps. Woman's record to the Heroes in the dust. — Map (db m30896) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Confederate Women's Home
Built in 1915 for the widows and daughters of state's Confederate veterans. Closed, 1981. Cemetery 300 yds. W. — Map (db m30822) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-9 — Cornwallis
Marching to Wilmington after the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, stopped with his army in this town in April, 1781. — Map (db m30899) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-10 — Cross Creek
Colonial village and trading center, merged in 1778 with town of Campbelton and in 1783 renamed Fayetteville. — Map (db m24394) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Cross Creek CemeteryConfederate Burial Grounds
This is the oldest public cemetery in Fayetteville, begun in 1785. Mrs. Anne K. Kyle, who served as a nurse in the hospital here during the Civil War, established the Confederate Burial Ground soon after Union Gen. William T. Sherman and his army left Fayetteville in March 1865. She and Fayetteville Mayor Archibald McLean selected a spot in the back section of the cemetery overlooking Cross Creek to inter the soldiers. The Rev. Joseph C. Huske of St. John's Episcopal Church officiated at a . . . — Map (db m30940) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Cross Creek Linear ParkOur Pathway to the Future
1. Cool Spring Cool Spring is located on the south bank of Cross Creek, which winds its way through downtown Fayetteville. The spring was the primary soucre of water first for Native Americans and subsequently for the European pioneers. It was the center for social, political and religious gatherings. During the 19th Century, a large stone enclosure, recessed into the creek bank, was built around the spring. Steps led down to the water, which collected in the floor of the structure. . . . — Map (db m31149) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Cumberland County Confederate Memorial
The Women of Cumberland to their Confederate Dead May 20, 1861 - May 10, 1902 They died in defence of their Rights For they should fall the tears of a nation's grief. Lord God of Hosts be with us yet, Lest we forget; lest we forget. [Inscriptions on stones near the monument follow] This monument was restored through the generous efforts of concerned citizens and the groups represented here, and was rededicated on May 10, 1992 . . . — Map (db m31143) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Currahee Rocks
The rock base beneath Iron Mike has its own story. In July 1942 over 5,000 men arrived at Camp Toccoa for training as a new type of soldier, a Paratrooper. Over the next few years over 17,000 soldiers of the 501st, 506th, 511th, and the 517th Parachute Infantry Regiments trained at Camp Toccoa. The boulders were acquired with the assistance of the landowner, the US Army and the city of Fayetteville from the storied Currahee Mountain in Toccoa, Georgia. Today “Currahee” is the . . . — Map (db m77343) HM WM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Edward J. Hale HouseCivil War Publisher — Carolinas Campaign
Across the street is the Hale-Williams House, notable for the variety of architectural styles it incorporates as well as for the prominence of its builder, Edward Jones Hale. Hale bought this property in 1847 and constructed the house in the 1850s. Hale born in Chatham County on September 9, 1802, received an education in journalism on the Raleigh Register and the National Intelligencer in Washington, D.C. From 1825 to 1865, he published the Fayetteville Observer, . . . — Map (db m70360) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Engine House (1838 - 1848)Arsenal Park
The engine house received its first engine in 1859 and served as the power source for the smith and gun carriage shops. — Map (db m24419) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Fayetteville Arsenal"Batter . . . into piles of rubble" — Carolinas Campaign
[Preface at top left] The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the “March to the Sea.” Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy's logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at . . . — Map (db m24355) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-31 — Fayetteville State University
Est. 1867 as Howard School. State-supported since 1877. A part of The University of North Carolina since 1972. — Map (db m24385) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1800. The original building, begun in 1816, rebuilt on same walls after fire of 1831, stands one block west. — Map (db m24390) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-28 — First Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1800. The original building, begun in 1816, rebuilt on same walls after fire of 1831, stands one block east. — Map (db m24392) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Flora MacDonald
Scottish heroine resided here 1774 - 1775 — Map (db m24445) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Flora Macdonald
Near this spot the Scottish heroine bade farewell to her husband Allan MacDonald of Kingsburgh, and his troops during the march-out of the Highlanders to the Battle of Moore's Creek Bridge, February 1776 — Map (db m30983) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Forging and Casting [and] Smith's Shops (1839 - 1842)Arsenal Park
The lighter brick in this pad outlines the foundations of two shops, the smiths and the forging and casting. These shops were built simultaneously between 1839 and 1842. During Confederate occupation, these shops, along with the engine house, were the central areas for repairing and modernizing arms. — Map (db m24420) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-60 — Frank P. Graham1886 - 1972
First president of Consolidated U.N.C., 1932-1949. U.S. senator; U.N. mediator, India & Pakistan. Birthplace was 50 yds. W. — Map (db m30894) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Gun Carriage and Turning Shop (1842 - 1849)Arsenal Park
This area is where most woodworking operations took place. It was also known as the carpenter's shop. Wagon and gun carriage wheels, as well as other wooden parts, were made here. — Map (db m24421) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-62 — Henry Evans
Free black cobbler & minister. Built first Methodist church in Fayetteville. Died 1810. Buried 2 blocks north. — Map (db m30884) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Highsmith-Rainey Memorial Hospital
Highsmith Hospital opened in 1901 on Green Street in downtown Fayetteville as the first private hospital in North Carolina. In 1926 the hospital was relocated to the corner of Hay Street and Bradford Avenue. The hospital opened on its present site in 1983. Highsmith-Rainey Memorial Hospital is named after its founder, Dr. Jacob F. Highsmith, Sr., and Dr. William T. Rainey, who devoted 40 years of service to the hospital. — Map (db m70361) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-86 — Hiram R. Revels1822 - 1901
First African American to serve in Congress, he represented Mississippi in Senate, 1870-1871. Born in Fayetteville. — Map (db m24402) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-4 — James C. Dobbin
Secretary of United States Navy, 1853-57. Helped found State Hospital for Insane. Home one block north. — Map (db m24330) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — James Dobbin McNeill
President Emeritus North Carolina State Firemen's Association Born in Asheboro, N.C. March 4, 1850 Died in Fayetteville, N.C. February 9, 1927 A beloved citizen and courageous statesman Six times Mayor of Fayetteville Thrice President of the National Firemen's Association Re-organizer of the Fayetteville Fire Department and for 40 years its Chief State Senator Captain and Commander of the Faytteville Division North Carolina Naval Reserves Captain of the Red Shirts . . . — Map (db m24448) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-79 — John England1786 - 1842
Bishop of Charleston. He organized Roman Catholics in N.C. at Fayetteville Convention, & consecrated St. Patrick Church, 1829. Present church 4/10 mi. E. — Map (db m24634) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-12 — Lafayette
On March 4-5, 1825, was guest of Fayetteville (named for him 1783), staying at home of Duncan McRae, on site of present courthouse. — Map (db m24377) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Liberty Point
This historic structure, circa 1791, is the oldest known commercial building in Fayetteville. It was restored as a community service by Fayetteville's hometown newspaper. — Map (db m24432) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Liberty Point Declaration of Independence
At or near this place ever since known as “Liberty Point” was promulgated in June 1775, by patriots of the Cape Fear A Declaration of Independence of the British Crown. ————— Declaration of Independence June 20, 1775 [Roll Call of Signers] “We stand ready to sacrifice our lives to secure her freedom.” Map (db m24431) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-13 — MacPherson Church
Presbyterian. Founded by early Scottish settlers. Graves of Alexander MacPherson and T. H. Holmes, a Confederate general, 1 1/2 miles N. — Map (db m30814) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-55 — Methodist University
Chartered 1956 as four-year liberal arts college. Opened September 1960. University since 2006. — Map (db m30572) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — North CarolinaCivil War Trails
North Carolina's Civil War stories are as diverse as its landscape. The Outer Banks and coastal rivers saw action early in the war, as Union forces occupied the region. Stories abound of naval battles, blockade running, Federal raids, and the Confederacy's struggle to supply its armies. Other tales are told in the western mountains, a sometimes-lawless region where Unionists and Confederates fought a war within a war. In the rolling central piedmont, memories linger of Union Gen. William T. . . . — Map (db m24357) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — North Carolina Arsenal
The courses of lighter colored brick found in this brick pad represent foundations uncovered while preparing the area for construction. The walls were part of the main arsenal building which was started in 1838 and completed in fall of 1839. The building was used as a storage facility for small arms, rifles and muskets. — Map (db m70359) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-14 — Old Town Hall
Built on site of the "State House," burned 1831, where the North Carolina Convention of 1789 ratified the Federal Constitution. — Map (db m24397) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Parade GroundFayetteville Independent Light Infantry
The Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry is North Carolina's oldest military unit and the second-oldest militia organization in the U.S. At the start of the Civil War, after North Carolina seceded, the company enrolled in active service for six months on April 17, 1861, as Company H, 1st North Carolina Infantry. It seized the U.S. arsenal here and occupied it until the Confederate government took control. In May, the company departed for the camp of instruction in Raleigh. The ladies of . . . — Map (db m31109) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-21 — Plank Roads
Fayetteville was the focal point for five plank roads, chartered 1849-52. The longest was built to Bethania, 129 miles northwest. — Map (db m24395) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Plummer Bridge
This bridge dedicated in memory of Lenox Eugene Plummer 1914 - 1979 Fayetteville City Councilmember for twenty four years who encouraged this city to “Always feed everyone out of the same spoon” John W. Hurley, Mayor City Council J. L. Dawkins • Mildred Evans Aaron Johnson • Jimmie Jones Milo McBryde • Milton Wofford John P. Smith, City Manager March 3, 1983 — Map (db m31202) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Saint Patrick Catholic Church
First parish to be established under the North Carolina Catholic Church Constitution February 4, 1824 First Catholic Church consecrated in North Carolina March 17, 1829 Original location Bow Street Fayetteville, North Carolina — Map (db m24636) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Scotch Spring
Located one block to the north, on the north side of Maiden Lane, Scotch Spring was owned by two prominent citizens, Robert Cochran and John Hay, and was a major water source for Fayetteville in the late eighteenth century. Throughout the nineteenth century, it continued to operate as a primary water source, eventually to be abandoned during the early 1900's. — Map (db m30998) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Settlement of the Upper Cape Fear
[Thistle symbol] Commemorating the settlement of the Upper Cape Fear by the Highland Scotch Two Hundredth Anniversary — Map (db m31148) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-18 — Sherman's Army
Invading North Carolina, Sherman's army occupied Fayetteville, Mar. 11-14, 1865, destroying the Confederate Arsenal, which stood 1 mile W. — Map (db m57295) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Southwest Tower (1849 - 1856)Arsenal Park
This was the last of the four arsenal towers to be built. In the original plans, this tower was to be the guard and prison rooms. — Map (db m24415) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — The "Ghost" TowerArsenal Park
The northwest tower (1) was the first of the arsenal's four towers to be built (1839-1840) and initially served as the facility's temporary office. The three-story octagonal towers protruded beyond the corners of the main compound and were a defensive feature that allowed flanking fire along the exterior wall. The "ghost" tower is a semblance of the original brick tower and enables visitors to understand the scale of these structures. — Map (db m24365) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — The Battle of BentonvilleMarch 19, 20, and 21, 1865
At Bentonville, General William T. Sherman's Union Army, advancing from Fayetteville toward Goldsboro, met and battled the Confederate Army of General Joseph E. Johnston. General Robert E. Lee had directed the Confederates to make a stand in North Carolina to prevent Sherman from joining General U.S. Grant in front of Lee's Army at Petersburg, Virginia. Johnston had been able to raise nearly 30,000 men from South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, and eastern North Carolina. His army . . . — Map (db m20535) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — The Fayetteville Independent Light Infantry CompanyF. I. L. I. — 1793 - 1993
[Front] Whereas in obedience to President George Washington's Militia Act and the threat of war with European powers, the F.I.L.I. was organized on or near this spot on August 23, 1793, under the leadership of Captain Robert Adam, Lieutenant John Winslow and Ensign Robert Cochran, and Whereas the F.I.L.I. served as an active independent military company from the time of its organization through the First World War having been bestowed with wreaths of laurel and having . . . — Map (db m31112) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-61 — The Fayetteville Observer
Oldest N.C. newspaper still being published. Begun 1816 as weekly; daily since 1896. E. J. Hale, editor, 1824-1865. — Map (db m24635) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — The Market HouseSite of a Shootout — Carolinas Campaign
On Saturday morning, March 11, 1865, a brief skirmish took place here at the Market House as Confederate forces evacuated Fayetteville while Union Gen. William T. Sherman's army entered the town. A rear guard detachment under Gen. Wade Hampton surprised a Union cavalry patrol after one of the Federals came around the corner from Russell Street and then fired at Hampton on the south side of the Market House. In the ensuing engagement, several Union cavalrymen were killed or captured. Within a . . . — Map (db m24442) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — The Sandford HouseBarracks for Union Troops — Carolinas Campaign
Duncan McLeran constructed this two-story Federal-style dwelling in 1797. In 1820, the property was sold and remodeled to accommodate the Bank of the United States, the first federal bank in North Carolina. The house is named for John Sanford, a cashier there who purchased the property for a residence for his family in 1832 after the bank closed. According to local tradition, the residence was used as a barracks for Union troops during Gen. William T. Sherman’s occupation of Fayetteville in . . . — Map (db m70374) HM WM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — Town House
Lafayette was escorted from the Clarendon Bridge to the Town House, which stood at this site. A spacious stage had been erected in front of the Town House. The various military units formed lines on each side of the street, and Lafayette's carriage passed between them amidst the discharge of artillery, to the east door of the Town House. Here Lafayette was welcomed on behalf of the citizens of Fayetteville by Judge John D. Toomer. At the completion of Judge Toomer's remarks, Lafayette . . . — Map (db m24449) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-2 — U.S. Arsenal
Authorized by Congress 1836. Taken over by Confederacy, 1861. Destroyed March 1865, by Sherman. Ruins stand 2 blocks S.W. — Map (db m24328) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fayetteville — I-65 — Warren Winslow1810 - 1862
Acting Governor, 1854; Congressman, 1855-1861. Negotiated surrender of local U.S. arsenal in 1861. Grave 40 yds. SE. — Map (db m30871) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — 15cm Medium Field Howitzer, M18
Standard howitzer for German divisions. This gun captured in Normandy, France during June 1944. — Map (db m31229) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — 307th Airborne Engineer Battalion
To commemorate the 50th Anniversary of the Crossing of the Waal River Honoring our KIA's - MIA's September 20, 1944 “C” Company, 307th Engineer Battalion was in the assault wave with the Third Battalion, 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment that crossed the Waal River to capture the Nijmegen Bridge in what was one of the most heroic actions of World War II — Map (db m31508) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — 328th Infantry Rock
Carved in 1919 by a Georgia stonesmason to pay tribute to the 82D Division's 328th Infantry. Moved from Camp Gordon, Georgia first home of the 82D, to Fort Bragg in the 1950s [Rock Inscription reads] Dedicated to the memory of the men of the 328th Infantry, 82nd Division A.E.F. who made the supreme sacrafice [sic] for America in the World War — Map (db m31495) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — 4th Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment
In honor and memory of the paratrooopers of the 4th Battalion, 325th Airborne Infantry Regiment, “The Gold Falcons” — Map (db m31493) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — 82d Infantry Division
Activated 25 August 1917 Reactivated 25 March 1942 Reorganized and redesignated an airborne division 15 Augus 1942 To Our Honored Dead Campaigns Lorraine • St. Mihiel • Meuse-Argonne Sicily • Naples-Foggia • Anzio Normandy • Holland • Ardennes Central Europe Dominican Republic Vietnam Grenada • Panama Persian Gulf Afghanistan • Iraq …There will always be an 82d Airborne Division, because it lives in the hearts of men. And somewhere young men . . . — Map (db m31179) WM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Airlifter's Memorial
Base In honor of airlifters past, present and future Back This memorial dedicated by members of Air Force Sergeants Association Chapter 367 and Noncommissioned Officers Open Mess, Pope Air Force Base, North Carolina, 12 June 1981 — Map (db m43998) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Bastogne Gables
This housing area is named in memory of courageous airborne troops of the U.S. Army who refused to surrender during the intense and bitter fighting against a numerically superior enemy, 19 December 1944 - 15 January 1945, in the area of Bastogne Belgium. 5 Mar 53 — Map (db m43972) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Braxton BraggCamp Bragg, N.C.
In honor of Braxton Bragg Lieutenant Colonel, USA General, CSA Born: Warrenton N.C. 22 March 1817 Died: Galveston, Texas 27 September 1876 War Department General Order No. 77, 21 August 1918, established Camp Bragg, N.C. in honor of “Capt. Braxton Bragg, who, while commanding Battery C, Third Field Artillery, rendered signal service at the battle of Buena Vista, Mexico.” Thus, Fort Bragg bears the name of a brave, resourceful, fighting man...A soldier . . . — Map (db m62493) HM WM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — C-119 "Packet"
(top) C-119C, Serial Number 50-33182. This aircraft was originally Serial Number 50-0128. On loan from the U.S. Air Force Museum Program. (middle) The Fairchild C-119, better known as the "Flying Boxcar", was capable of carrying 42 troops or up to 10,000 lbs of cargo. A versatile aircraft, it could also be used to tow up to a 30,000 lb glider. The C-119 was stationed at Pope AFB from 1952 to 1958. Engines 2 3500 hp, radial, F&W R-4360 Crew: 2 pilots, 1 . . . — Map (db m44001) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — C-123 "Provider"
(top) C-123K, Serial Number 54-0372. This aircraft was originally Serial Number 54-0669. It is on loan from the U.S. Air Force Museum Program. (middle) The Fairchild C-123 was capable of carrying 60 fully equipped troops while operating from short airfields. The C-123 was stationed at Pope AFB from 1958 to 1964. Engines: 2 2500 hp, radial, P&W R-2800 Crew: 2 pilots, 1 flight mechanic, 1 loadmaster Length: 76 feet Wing Span: 110 feet Cruise: 190 mph . . . — Map (db m44002) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — C-130 "Hercules"
The mission of the Lockheed C-130 is to provide rapid transportation of personnel or cargo for delivery by air-drop or by air-land. The aircraft can be used as a tactical transport carrying 92 ground troops or 64 paratroopers and equipment. It can be readily converted for ambulance or aerial delivery missions. Engines: 4 Allison T-56 turboprops Crew: 5 Length: 99 feet 6 inches Cruise: 295 knots Max Gross Weight: 155,000 pounds Wing Span: 132 feet 7 inches Range: 2130 . . . — Map (db m44003) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — C-7 "Caribou"
First flown by the Army in the 1960s, the C-7 was used to provide logistic support, particularly in Vietnam. Used to support airborne training through the 1970s. This aircraft was used by the U.S. Army Parachute Demonstration Team, the Golden Knights. — Map (db m31236) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Curtis C-46 "Commando"
First aircraft with jump doors on both sides of fuselage. Used for airborne operations in 1945 to early 1950s. — Map (db m31230) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — DC-3/C-47 "Skytrain"
(top) C-47D, Serial Number 44-118427 This aircraft was originally serial number 44-76462. It is on loan from the U.S. Air Force Museum Program. (middle) The Douglas C-47 Skytrain, the military version of the DC-3, was the most commonly used transport in the allied air forces during WW II. The C-47 was stationed at Pope AFB under the Air Transport Command from 1942-1946. Engines: 2 1200 hp, turbo-charged, P&W Twin Wasps Crew: 2 pilots, 1 radio operator . . . — Map (db m43999) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Douglas C-47
Known as the “Skytrain”, the C-47 was the workhorse of the Army Air Corps transport units. Carried 82D troopers into battle at Sicily, Salerno, Normandy, and Holland — Map (db m31231) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Enlisted Personnel Memorial
As enlisted men and women of our great nation, nothing captures our professionalism more than the Oath of Enlistment. It states... "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God" Lest we forget who we are... — Map (db m44007) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Fairchild C-119 "Flying Boxcar"
Used to support airborne operations from the 1940s through the 1960s. First aircraft to handle large parachute loads containing 3/4 ton trucks and 105-mm howitzers. — Map (db m31492) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Fairchild C-123-K Provider
Developed in the 1950s as an assault transport. The fullsection rear ramp door made this an ideal aircraft for support of airborne operations from the 1950s into the 1970s. — Map (db m31234) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — I-17 — Fort Bragg
Established 1918 as U.S. field artillery training center. Named for N.C. native Braxton Bragg, Lt. Col., USA; Gen., CSA. — Map (db m30973) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Iron Mike[The Airborne Trooper]
In honor of Airborne Troopers whose courage, dedication, and traditions make them the world's finest fighting soldiers — Map (db m31176) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Lt. Harley H. Pope
Aviation Pioneer 1879-1918 Presented by citizens of Bedford, Indiana — Map (db m43971) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — M-551A1 Sheridan Armored Reconnaissance/Airborne Assault Vehicle
. . . — Map (db m31476) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — M-56 Scopion Self-Propelled Antitank Gun
A fully-tracked 90mm gun developed in the 1950s to provide airborne troops with a mobile antitank weapon. Used by airborne armored battalions and airborne infantry tank companies in the 1960s. — Map (db m31491) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Meadows Memorial Parade FieldIn Memory of Major Richard J. Meadows — 16 June 1931 – 29 July 1995
During his long and illustrious career, Major Meadows embodied all of those qualities that mark the unique individuals serving in Special Operations Forces. Major Meadows’ extraordinary achievements throughout his dedicated service with Army Special Forces and Ranger units contributed to our nation’s security for nearly four decades. His service included combat action in the Korean War, clandestine operations in Laos, exchange duty and troop command with the British 22nd Special Air Service, . . . — Map (db m31484) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Pope Air Force Base Air Park
Dedicated to the men and women who flew and maintained these aircraft. Responding to the call to arms, they embraced the difficult challenges and held high the proud heritage of the United States Air Force. This monument stands guard at Pope's entrance in tribute to our airmen, serving as the bridge that spans our present and past. This air park was made possible by the generous contributions of the Pope Special Activities Committee, 23d Civil Engineer Squadron, and the Fort Bragg Corps of . . . — Map (db m44004) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Pope Airmen Memorial
Front In honor of those Pope airmen who have given their lives for their country while performing flying duties * * * * * * Dedicated to the memory of those who were killed in a C-130 accident on November 30, 1978 Robert J. Caton • Bernie C. Finch III • Daniel K. Morris • Samuel P. Eskew • Mark D. Greer • Robert M. VanWinkle Back Dedicated to the memory of the crew of "Even 91" who lost their lives in a C-130 accident at Blewett Falls, NC on April 28, 1992 Flt Lt Mark . . . — Map (db m44005) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Pope Airmen Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of those Pope airmen who lost their lives in a C-130 accident at Sicily extraction zone on July 1, 1987 Capt. Garry M. Bardo, Jr. • A1C Albert G. Dunse • Capt. John B. Keiser, III • TSgt Timothy J. Matar — Map (db m44006) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — Stang Field
Named in honor of Colonel Arthur C. Stang III 13 Mar 37 - 2 Sep 80 Former commander of the 3d Brigade and Chief of Staff, 82d Airborne Division who was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal for outstanding contributions to America's Guard of Honor — Map (db m31184) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — T-8 90mm Antitank Gun
Developed late in World War II, the 90mm was the most powerful American antitank weapon of that conflict. It was used by the 82nd Airborne Division in the postwar era between 1946 and 1956. — Map (db m31475) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — UH-1A Iroquois Utility Helicopter
Nicknamed the Huey, helicopters of this type supported Division airmobile operations in the 1960s and 1970s. The UH-1 was also capable of dropping paratroopers or sling loading heavy equipment — Map (db m31465) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Fort Bragg — USASOC Memorial WallIn Memory of Our Fallen Special Operations Soldiers — United States Army Special Operations Command
Welcome Kinsman, Comrade, Friend. Recorded here on this humble Wall are the names of our fallen Heroes. They were and will always be cherished Soldiers of Army Special Operations, our comrades in arms. Know that they eagerly sought and accepted our Nation's most difficult missions against our most dangerous enemies. Know that they willingly endured hardship and danger and, at the end, sacrificed all for us. With solemn pride, know that in doing so they proved true to their oath to the . . . — Map (db m31488) WM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Godwin — Battle of AverasboroConfederate First Defensive Line — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savannah, Georgia, after the March to the Sea. Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy's logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m42002) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Godwin — I-81 — David M. Williams1900-1975
"Carbine" Williams, designer of short stroke piston, which made possible M-1 carbine rifle, widely used in WWII. Lived 2 mi. S. — Map (db m31793) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Grays Creek — I-59 — Dunn’s Creek Quaker Meeting
Started about 1746; joined yearly meeting, 1760; discontinued about 1781. Site and cemetery are 2.5 miles S.E. — Map (db m1946) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Grays Creek — I 42 — Moore's Camp
Prior to the Battle of Moores Creek Bridge, forces of Gen. James Moore, Whig commander camped, Feb.15~21,1776, 1 ½ miles northeast. — Map (db m4588) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Hope Mills — I-27 — Cape Fear Baptist Church
Constituted in 1756 as Particular Baptist. Stephen Hollingsworth, first minister. Present (1859) building 2 mi. E. — Map (db m864) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Linden — I-52 — Rev. James Campbell
One of early Presbyterian ministers in N.C., 1757-1780. Organized Bluff, Barbecue, and Longstreet churches. Grave is 8 mi. east. — Map (db m42003) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Wade — Colonel Alexander McAllisterPatriot and Revolutionary Hero
Near this spot at Old Bluff Church is buried Colonel Alexander McAllister; Patriot and Revolutionary Hero; Colonel of Cumberland County Militia; Representative First Assembly in Newbern, December 1773; Representative Second Assembly in Newbern, March 1774; Member of Provincial Congress held at Hillsboro, Aug. 1775; Member of Provincial Congress held at Halifax, April 1776; Member of Comittee of Safety for Wilmington District; Member of committee appointed by Provincial Congress, August 23, . . . — Map (db m31594) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Wade — I-1 — Old Bluff ChurchPresbyterian
Organized in 1758 by Rev. James Campbell. Present building erected about 1858. N.W. 1 mi. — Map (db m31592) HM
North Carolina (Cumberland County), Wade — Old Bluff ChurchThe Muddy Road to Averasboro — Carolinas Campaign
(Preface): The Carolinas Campaign began on February 1, 1865, when Union Gen. William T. Sherman led his army north from Savanna, Georgia, after the "March to the Sea." Sherman's objective was to join Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in Virginia to crush Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Scattered Confederate forces consolidated in North Carolina, the Confederacy logistical lifeline, where Sherman defeated Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's last-ditch attack at Bentonville. After Sherman was . . . — Map (db m31593) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Coinjock — A-76 — Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal
Constructed 1855~59 by steam dredges to assist commerce. Now part of Intracoastal Waterway. N.C. Cut 5 miles long. — Map (db m11313) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Coinjock — Albemarle and Chesapeake CanalMilitary Supply Route
After the Battle of Elizabeth City and the destruction of the Confederate Mosquito Fleet in February 1862, the Confederates scuttled ships to block the North Carolina cut. The Federals had the same idea to stall Confederate traffic and sent five vessels to the North River “with prize schooners in tow to obstruct the Chesapeake and Albemarle Canal,” only to find that their adversaries had already begun the task. After the Union occupation of Norfolk, the removal of the obstructions . . . — Map (db m56979) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Boathouse
With its gracious proportions, unusual pink color, and sloping rooflines, the Corolla Island boathouse built by Edward Collings Knight Jr. and his wife complemented their main house. Even more than the main house, the boathouse was the center of activity for the waterfowl hunting that drew guests here. Decoys and hunting skiffs were stored inside, along with corn to lure the waterfowl into gunning range. While the Knights and their guests slept in the main house, hunting guides in the . . . — Map (db m10433) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Corolla Historic Village
Twiddy & Company began preservation in Corolla Village in 1986. The first effort was the Kill Devil Hills Lifesaving Station built in 1878. Relocation from the original oceanfront site was a requirement of the sale, so the station was moved to Corolla. Further preservation occurred in 1998 as other properties became available. The Lewark/Gray home and the Parker home were first. These old homes now host merchants and nonprofits to include Lovie’s Kitchen Table and the Corolla Wild Horse . . . — Map (db m76660) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Corolla Island Bridges
When Edward Collings Knight Jr. and his wife, Marie-Louise leBell, purchased this property in 1922, the Lighthouse Club, a hunting club, already existed on land just to the south. After the Knights completed a new private residence in 1925, they demolished the club, dredged a waterway completely around the house site, and renamed the property Corolla Island. A pair of bridges spanned the waterway. Since there was no public road to Corolla Island until 1984, access was a challenge. Visitors . . . — Map (db m10437) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Corolla SchoolhouseC. 1900
Restoration began in the fall of 1999, revealing wonderful insights into life in this isolated coastal village. Upon raising the building to repair rotten sills, workers discovered ship timbers in the foundation that were salvaged from shipwrecks on the beach. Underneath the steeple was found a century-old collection of stones and other objects from the schoolyard. The old bell was badly deteriorated, so a new one was installed. Once again a bell tolls in this village to celebrate great occasions. — Map (db m10434) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Corolla Schoolhouse
Establishing the First Unified Corolla School The Corolla Schoolhouse was built circa 1890 by residents Sol Sanderlin and Val Twiford and established as the first unified Corolla school in 1905. The County's one-room schoolhouse accepted children of all grade levels and provided a teacher, textbooks and standardized grading. Students from the nearby villages of Wash Woods, Seagull and Penny's Hill were bused down the beach. In winter, the schoolhouse was heated by a big coal . . . — Map (db m76658) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Currituck Beach Light Station
On December 1, 1875, the beacon of the Currituck Beach Lighthouse filled the remaining "dark spot" on the North Carolina coast between the Cape Henry light to the north and Bodie Island to the south. To distinguish the Currituck Beach Lighthouse from the other regional lighthouses, its exterior remains unpainted and today gives visitors a clear picture of the multitude of bricks used to form the structure. The lighthouse was automated in 1939 when the United State Coast Guard assumed the duties . . . — Map (db m10685) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Duck Blinds
When the last inlet to Currituck Sound closed in 1828, the water began to change. As rain, rivers, and streams poured in to the sound, the water became less salty and tall-grass marsh and wild celery attracted large flocks of migratory waterfowl in winter. The Currituck Sound became a hunters' paradise. Due to incredibly good hunting conditions, the Knights, avid waterfowl hunters and conservationist, chose this site for a private residence. Experienced local guides ensured the hunters' . . . — Map (db m10686) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — First Swimming Pool on the Outer Banks
The Whalehead Club has always been associated with wealth and leisure pursuits. When Edward Collings Knight Jr. and his wife, Marie-Louise LeBel, built their residence here in the 1920s, they made it as opulent as possible. The estate included the first swimming pool built on the Outer Banks. Mr. Knight's wealth was derived from sugar and railroads. He and his wife, Marie-Louise Lebel Knight, also had grand homes in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Middletown, Rhode Island. From 1922 . . . — Map (db m10687) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Ray T. Adam's Landing Strip
When Ray T. Adams bought this estate for just $25,000 in 1940, he dreamed of opening a hunt club and selling parcels of land for real estate. He changed the name to the Whalehead Club and invited potential investors, politicians (including Dwight Eisenhower), and public figures (including boxing champion Jack Dempsey) to enjoy hunting on the property. He built a landing strip on a man-made finger of land beginning in the sound (approximately where the red channel marker is today) and . . . — Map (db m10688) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — The Caretaker's Residence
Architectural drawings suggest that the caretaker's residence dates to the 1920s and was designed to house two families who worked for the Knights. Cleveland lewark, chief hunting guide and superintendent of the property, lived in one side of the house while his father Tilman, who fished the area, lived in the other. When the caretaker's residence burned to the ground in 1948, the two families living here worked for Whalehead Club owner Ray T. Adams. George and Gladys Smith lived in one . . . — Map (db m10689) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — The Knights
Due to excellent wildfowl hunting conditions in the second half of the 19th century, private hunt clubs owned most of the land on the Currituck Outer Banks. In 1874 a group of wealthy Northeaster industrialists build the Lighthouse Club just south of here. In the 1920s Edward Collings Knight Jr. and his new wife, Marie-Louise Lebel, purchased the Lighthouse Club property and, for $383,000, built the house you see today. The Knights had the old club house torn down and a waterway dredged around . . . — Map (db m10690) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — The Whalehead Club Restoration
After second owner Ray T. Adams died in 1957, the Whalehead Club was used as a summer boy's school, housed a rocket fuel testing facility, and was proposed for resort development. With restoration in mind, Currituck County purchased the club in 1992, and by 1994 owned the surrounding 39 acres. By the time the county acquired the property, the main house had holes in the roof and the flooded basement teemed with snakes. Aggressive restoration began in the spring of 1999. The copper roof . . . — Map (db m10691) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Waterfowl Resting Area
The Knights did not choose this location for their hunting retreat randomly. It sits on the Atlantic Flyway, a primary migratory route for waterfowl. Currituck, as in Currituck County, comes from the Native American work carotank or "land of the wild goose". The Currituck Sound is eight miles wide in places, very shallow, and ringed with reeds that give shelter and aquatic grasses that provide food for migrating birds. In the past the number of waterfowl attracted here each winter soared . . . — Map (db m10719) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — Welcome to a Wetland
Where land and water meet. Once considered worthless, North Carolina’s wetlands are now recognized as priceless resources for their roles in conserving water and providing habitat for wildlife. What good is a Wetland? Wetlands are like giant sponges that hold and slowly release water during floods. Wetlands are filters that remove pollutants from water. Wetland plants anchor the soil and land in place, preventing erosion. Wetlands provide valuable food, . . . — Map (db m76669) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Corolla — A-33 — Wreck Of The Metropolis
Steamer ran aground, Jan. 31, 1878, killing 85. Tragedy prompted improvements in the U.S. Lifesaving Service. Remains are 3/5 mi. SE. — Map (db m9668) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Currituck — Currituck County CourthouseConfederate Recruiting Center
Currituck has been the county government seat since 1723. The core of the present courthouse to the right and jail in front of you were here when the Civil War began. On March 31, 1862, the “Currituck Light Cavalry” began enlisting on the grounds under Capt. Demosthenes Bell. The company was assigned as Co. G to Col. Dennis D. Ferebee’s 4th North Carolina Cavalry, 59th Regiment North Carolina State Troops. Because of the importance of water for military transportation and the . . . — Map (db m2764) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Currituck — Currituck County Old Jail
Thursday the 31st December 1767 "On motion the following Bills were ordered to be read ... A Bill to impower the justices of Currituck County to build a prison pillary and stocks in the said county on the lot were the Court House stands for the use of the said county, in the Upper House read the third time and passed. Ordered to be engrossed." The construction date of the "Old Currituck Jail" remains uncertain. Though there was mention of a jail as early as 1767 when the general . . . — Map (db m9468) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Jarvisburg — A-6 — Thomas J. Jarvis
Governor, 1879 - 1885; Minister to Brazil; U.S. Senator; was born in a house which stood here. — Map (db m9498) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Knotts Island — A-15 — Dividing Line — ···
Commissioners drove the first stake for the Virgina - Carolina boundary, Mar. 18, 1728, three miles N. E. across Currituck Sound. — Map (db m11286) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Knotts Island — Knotts IslandSalts Works Center
During the Civil War, salt—essential for the preservation of meat—was vitally important to the massive Union and Confederate armies. Currituck County's location was ideal for salt works, and Knotts Island's residents made salt both here and across the sound on the Outer Banks. Local resident Henry Ansell wrote of accompanying his uncle, John Beasley, to recover two salt pans that a storm had buried and later uncovered. Beasley claimed that he had boiled salt under the islands cedar . . . — Map (db m76552) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Maple — Maple LeafA Great Escape
Currituck County played a vital role in a prisoner-of-war escape in 1863. At 1:30 P.M. on June 10, the troop-transport steamer Maple Leaf sailed from Fort Monroe, Va., for Fort Delaware, carrying 97 captured Confederate officers bound for the prisoner-of-war camp at Johnson’s Island in Ohio. Two hours later, the prisoners overpowered the twelve-man guard and took over the ship, then escaped in small boats south of Cape Henry. About thirty officers, most of them wounded, remained aboard . . . — Map (db m56981) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Moycock — MoycockShingle Landing
Currituck Sound and the surrounding area were under Union control by 1863. Local farmers and merchants sought permission from Federal authorities to sell their produce in Norfolk. They followed this route to the city. Union Gen. Henry M. Naglee, commander of the military district, was willing to accommodate them, but he also wanted to eliminate “guerilla” activity in the area and prevent the smuggling of contraband supplies to the Confederates. He issued orders in July and August . . . — Map (db m56982) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Moyock — A-16 — Dividing Line
In 1728 the Virginia-Carolina boundary was first surveyed from the Atlantic coast to a spot two hundred twenty miles west of here. — Map (db m2762) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Moyock — A-59 — Joseph Pilmoor
Preached first Methodist sermon in colony, 1772, at Currituck Courthouse. Pilmoor Memorial Methodist Church is near the site. About 300 ft. north. — Map (db m2763) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Point Harbor — Currituck SoundAvenue of War
For many years before the war, Currituck Sound was a busy avenue of commerce sheltered from the Atlantic Ocean by the Outer Banks. Vessels carried produce and goods between North Carolina and Virginia. After hostilities began, the sound became strategically important for both the Union and Confederate navies and armies. On June 9, 1861, Confederate Gen. Walter Gwynn, commander of the coastal defenses, urged Currituck County’s citizens to send both enslaved and free black laborers to build . . . — Map (db m56980) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Shawboro — A-62 — Henry M. Shaw
Member N.C. Assembly and U.S. Congress. Confederate colonel. Killed in attack on New Bern, Feb. 1, 1864. Home & grave about 150 feet West. — Map (db m9507) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Shawboro — IndiantownChasing “Guerrillas”
Indiantown, a commercial center with a shipyard, store, and mill, became a focal point for military activity during the Civil War. On June 10, 1862, U.S. Navy Lt. Charles W. Flusser led several gunboats up the North River to capture a prominent secessionist here and seize the schooner Scuppernong with a load of oak timber bound for a Confederate shipyard. He burned the vessel and its cargo nearby. John Boushell had built the ship in 1853 as a Dismal Swamp Canal schooner. Under owner S.S. . . . — Map (db m56814) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Shawboro — A-66 — McKnight’s Shipyard
Thomas McKnight, colonial merchant and legislator; Loyalist during Revolution. Operated large shipyard which stood near here. — Map (db m2765) HM
North Carolina (Currituck County), Shawboro — A-47 — Yeopim
Reservation established for Yeopim Indians in 1704; sold after 1739. Northern boundary nearby; village was 2 miles S.E. — Map (db m2766) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — B32 — Billy Mitchell
Brigadier general of the Army Air Service, demonstrated air power by bombing battleships off coast, Sept. 5, 1923. Landing field was here. — Map (db m20347) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — B-54 — Cape Hatteras Lighthouse — ···
Tallest brick lighthouse in nation at 208 feet. Constructed, 1869~1870, to mark Diamond Shoals. Replaced 1802 structure. — Map (db m29950) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — B-41 — Diamond Shoals — ···
"Graveyard of Atlantic." German submarines sank over 100 ships here, 1941~ 42, in the "Battle of Torpedo   Junction." Shoals are 3 mi. south. — Map (db m11400) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — Life at the Light
There have been words written to the effect that the lighthouse keepers and their families had a very lonely life; however, we did not have this experience. In fact, just the opposite would be more apt to apply. The lighthouse was always a favorite place to visit by the village folk so we would have lots of company, especially on Sunday afternoons and the evening hours, when the heat of summer was unbearable in the wooded areas of the villages. Swimming, baseball games, croquet, chasing wild . . . — Map (db m32225) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — PaukenschlagOperation Drumbeat
"The losses by submarines off our Atlantic seaboard and in the Caribbean now threaten our entire war effort." Chief of Staff George C. Marshall, 19 June, 1942 During the first six months of 1942, these beaches revealed crude oil, twisted metal, and corpses from the Atlantic Ocean. The grisly flotsam was evidence of War's toll imposed by Unterseeboote ("U-boats") of the German Navy. Paukenschlag was the first of these campaigns undertaken by Germany to strike a devastating blow on the . . . — Map (db m32129) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — B-53 — Radio Milestone — ···
From near here in 1902 R. A. Fessenden sent the first musical notes ever relayed by radio waves. Received 48 miles north. — Map (db m11402) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Buxton — B-50 — U.S.S. Monitor — ···
Fought C.S.S. "Virginia" ("Merrimac")   in   first battle of ironclad ships. Lost Dec. 31, 1862, in gale 17 miles southeast. First marine sanctuary. — Map (db m11401) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Duck — Powder Ridge Club
This club stands as one of the last traces of Duck's rich waterfowl heritage. Built by Wall Street brokers in the 1920's and operated through the 1940's. Distinctive to this club was a unique set of whalebones adorning the front; garnering it the nickname "The Whalebone Club." Betty and Duck Braithwaite purchased the club and it became known as Duck's Cottage. Their children preserved it as a testament to the great era of waterfowl hunting along the shores of the Carrituck Sound. — Map (db m75374) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Frisco — Mitchell Demonstrates Air Power
In September 1923, Brigadier General Mitchell provided a chilling view of the effectiveness of aerial bombardment on surface vessels to skeptical government and military observers. Taking off from his temporary Hatteras Village airfield, Mitchell rendezvoused with Martin Bombers from Langley Field, Virginia. Equipped with newly developed bombsights and supercharged engines, the bombers quickly sank the obsolete battleships "Virginia" and "New Jersey" anchored just 20 miles off the Hatteras . . . — Map (db m20353) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — America's 1st Attempt at Civil War Reunification
Orchestrated by Union Colonel Rush C. Hawkins, the Hatteras Convention was held nearby on November 18, 1861. The state's secession was declared null and void, Hatteras was proclaimed the capitol and Marble Nash Taylor became provisional governor. Taylor called for a special Congressional election held November 28 but, Charles Henry Foster's unanimous election by the four island precincts was ignored by the 37th United States Congress. Abraham Lincoln's May 28, 1862 selection of Edward Stanley . . . — Map (db m46095) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — Burnside's Expedition Crossing Hatteras Bar/The Burnside Expedition at Hatteras Inlet
Side A:Burnside's Expedition Crossing Hatteras BarOn January 11, 1862, the Burnside Expedition left for Fort Monroe, Virginia destined for Hatteras Inlet 120 miles to the south. Two days later, the fleet of over eighty vessels was struck by a strong Northeaster while crossing Hatteras Bar. Reassembling the fleet in Pamlico Sound was delayed until the month's end due to frequently stormy weather. Among the ships lost were the Pocohontas, Grapeshot and City of New York. The . . . — Map (db m46171) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — B-38 — Confederate Forts
Fort Hatteras and Fort Clark, 2 miles s.west, fell to Union troops on Aug. 29, 1861, after two days of heavy naval bombardment. — Map (db m67576) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — Flagship USS Minnesota/Hotel de Afrique
Side A:Flagship USS MinnesotaUSS Minnesota, a wooden steam frigate built in 1855, was the flagship for the Atlantic Blockading Squadron commanded by Flag Officer Silas H. Stringham. Seven United States Navy warships bombarded Forts Hatteras and Clark, August 28-29, 1861. This was the first time the United States Navy employed the tactic of having ships sail in a single oval formation. Using Stringham's innovative maneuver, the fleet rained down a continuous barrage of several . . . — Map (db m46190) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — Fort Clark/The Bombardment of Fort Hatteras
Side A:Fort ClarkHatteras Inlet, defended by Forts Clark and Hatteras, was a strategic port of entry for troops and supplies providing deep water access to the vital intercoastal waterways. In later May of 1881, the Federal Blockade Board of Strategy began implementing General Winfield Scott's "Anaconda Plan" intending to constrict the South's warfare capability. Initially, they regarded the "...sterile, half drowned shores of North Carolina" as unimportant; less than one month . . . — Map (db m46298) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Hatteras — Maritime Casualties of the American Civil War/Loss of the USS Monitor
Side A:Maritime Casualties of the American Civil WarAfterJan. 15, 1862 - The Graveyard of the Atlantic claims the lives of Colonel J.W. Allen and Surgeon Weller, officers of the 9th N.J. Volunteers, and the second mate of the Ann E. Thompson. Dec. 31, 1862 - USS Monitor: N.K. Attwater, G. Frederickson, R.W. Hands, S.A. Lewis, W. Allen, W. Bryan, R. Cook, W.H. Eagan, J.R. Fenwick, R.H. Howard, T. Joyce, G. Littlefield, D. Moore, J. Nicklis, J. Stocking, R. Williams. USS Rhode . . . — Map (db m32134) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — 12 Seconds that Changed the World
After more than four years of hard work and experimentation, it only took the Wright brothers 12 seconds to change the world. On December 17, 1903, at 10:35, Orville Wright made the world’s first controlled, powered, heavier-than-air flight. The photograph that documented the Wrights’ success was taken by John T. Daniels, a Kill Devil Hills Life Saving Station surfman, who had never used a camera before. It was not until the Wright brothers returned to Dayton, Ohio, that they developed the . . . — Map (db m10181) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — A hospitable people...
If you decide to try your machine here...you will find a hospitable people... William J. Tate, Kitty Hawk Postmaster, in a letter to Wilbur Wright dated August 18, 1900 Wilbur and Orville Wright accepted Tate’s invitation and found that the Outer Banks of North Carolina not only provided hospitable people but also the conditions that they needed to fly – wind, sand, and solitude. While solitude was important to get the work done, the Wrights did not work . . . — Map (db m10183) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Big Kill Devil Hill26 Acres of Shifting Sand
Before construction of the memorial could begin, it would be necessary to stabilize the dune from which the Wright Brothers conducted their glider experiments. Twenty-five years of steady winds had moved Big Kill Devil Hill 450 feet southwest of its 1903 location. The U.S. Army Engineers, using exotic and native grasses and a covering of wood mold, succeeded in stabilizing the "shifting" dune. The Hill stands still now - supporting a monument to man's greatest dream. — Map (db m9768) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Dare County's Tribute to Veterans
[Center Panel]: “By your courage in tribulation, by your cheerfulness before the dirty devices of this world, you have won the love of those who have watched you.” - Guy Chapman Dedicated: November 11, 1991. [Left Panel]: To all who’ve stood tall for freedom Those of us who’ve never served can’t truly understand the sacrifices that you made protecting life and land. You were called from homes and jobs. You never turned around. You did more . . . — Map (db m9631) WM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Experiments
On the slope of Kill Devil Hill to the left, the Wright brothers experimented with gliders in the period 1900 - 1903. Here also Wilbur Wright failed in an attempted power-driven flihgt, December 14, 1903. After just 3½ seconds in the air the Wrights' flying machine stalled and settled to the ground. Two days were needed for repairs. Then the stage was set for the successful flight of December 17. — Map (db m10179) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Field for Flight
"Isn't it astonishing that all these secrets have been preserved for so many years just so that we could discover them!!" Orville Wright, June 7, 1903 — Map (db m9770) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Four Powered Flights
The Wright brothers made four successful sustained powered flights the morning of December 17, 1903. The commemorative granite boulder and replica monorail mark the lift-off point of those four flights, the numbered markers the terminating point. Since soft sand prohibited launching with conventional wheels, the Wright Flyer was placed on a 60-foot monorail with its landing skids resting on a wheeled truck. Once the engine started, the Flyer was released and slid down the rail until . . . — Map (db m9769) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Kill Devil Hills
"...the sand fairly blinds us. It blows across the ground in clouds. We certainly can't complain of the place. We came down here for wind and sand, and we got them." Letter from Orville Wright to Katharine Wright, October 18, 1900 "The practice ground at the Kill Devil Hills consists of a level plain of bare sand, from which rises a group of detached hills or mounds formed of sand heaped up by the winds. These hills are constantly changing in height and slope, . . . — Map (db m10146) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Kill Devil Hills Fire Rescue Memorial
This memorial is placed in tribute and to honor all of the Kill Devil Hills fire and rescue personnel who have and continue to faithfully and honorably serve the citizens and visitors of Kill Devil Hills Dedicated this 11 day of September 2002 — Map (db m9595) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Monument to the Impossible
The Best Design Design competition among 35 entrants was won by Rogers and Poor, a New York Architectural firm. The 60-foot tower, similar to those used to mark courses in air races, embellished with wings on its side and a five-point star serving as the base, was to symbolize man’s conquest of the air. No Simple Task Designed with paper and pencil, it became an entirely different matter to carve 80 tons of solid granite. Using hand and pneumatic tools, the Mount Airy . . . — Map (db m9715) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Pitch, Roll and Yaw
At the turn of the century, this large hill and the three hills surrounding it were known as the Kill Devil Hills. Wilbur and Orville Wright performed thousands of experimental glider flights here between 1900 and 1903. The culminatino of those tests, a glider performing a simple turn, unlocked the secrets of controlled flight. With this flight, the three axes of control were mastered and the age of aviation was at hand. — Map (db m9767) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The 1901 Glider
"Our first experiments were rather disappointing. The machine ... at times seemed to be entirely beyond control." Orville Wright in a letter to his sister Katharine, July 28, 1901 The 1901 experiments at Kill Devil Hills were considered a failure. Orville later recalled Wilbur, on the trip back home to Dayton, stating in frustration, "Not within a thousand years would man ever fly!" Map (db m10149) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The 1902 Glider
"Our new machine is a very great improvement over anything we had built before and over anything any one has built." Letter from Wilbur Wright to his father, October 2, 1902 The Wrights' experiments with the successful 1902 Glider solved most of the problems in achieving stability, lift and control, and set the course for the 1903 first powered flight. Their basic paten was on the control mechanisms of this glider. — Map (db m10150) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The 1903 Flyer
"A couple of small boys, who had come with the men from the station, made a hurried departure over the hill for home on hearing the engine start." Orville Wright, diary D. December 14, 1903 Determined to achieve powered flight before returning to Dayton, the Wright brothers focused on the assembly of the Flyer. A cracked propeller shaft, constant repairs to the machine, and lack of winds delayed their trials at powered flight. — Map (db m10151) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The Camp
"We intend to be comfortable while we are here." Wilbur Wright, November 23, 1903 These replica buildings mark the location of the Wright brothers' hangar (left) and living quarters (right) of their 1903 Kill Devil Hills Camp. They also established camps at this spot in 1901 and 1902. — Map (db m32120) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The Conquest of the Air
In commemoration of the conquest of the air… Excerpt from the inscription on the monument atop Big Kill Devil Hill From its establishment as a national monument in 1927 to the First Flight Centennial of 2003, the local people of the Outer Banks have shown “dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith” in honoring and recognizing the first flight of the Wright brothers. The Kill Devil Hills Memorial Association, later to become the First Flight . . . — Map (db m10185) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The First Flight
"The flight lasted only 12 seconds, but nevertheless the first in the history of the world in which a machine carrying a man had raised itself by its own power into full flight, had sailed forward without reduction of speed, and had finally landed at a point as high as that from which it had started." Orville Wright, 1903 The first flight, December 17, 1903, 10:35 a.m., 120 feet in 12 seconds. Orville Wright is at the controls, lying prone on the lower wing. Running alongside to . . . — Map (db m31994) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The First Flight
The First Flight-From a 60-foot wooden track laid on these sands Orville Wright rose into the wind on the morning of December 17, 1903. It was the first time in history that “a machine carrying a man had raised itself by its own power into the air in full flight, had sailed forward without reduction of speed, and had finally landed at a point as high as that from which it started.” The flight lasted about twelve seconds. — Map (db m62511) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — The First Successful Flight of an Airplane
was made from this spot by Orville Wright December 17, 1903, in a machine designed and built by Wilbur Wright and Orville Wright This tablet was erected by the National Aeronautic Association of the U.S.A. December 17, 1928 to commemmorate the twenty-fifth anniversary of this event — Map (db m9745) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — B-4 — Wright Brothers
On December 17, 1093, from site near foot of Kill Devil Hill, Orville and Wilbur Wright made first successful powered flight 1/5 mile west. — Map (db m9714) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kill Devil Hills — Wright Brothers National Memorial
Wilbur Wright Orville Wright In commemoration of the conquest of the air by the brothers Wilbur and Orville Wright. Conceived by Genius. Achieved by dauntless resolution and unconquerable faith. — Map (db m10380) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kitty Hawk — Monument to a Century of Flight
[Marker Front]: Dedicated on November 8, 2003 In celebration of the soaring of the human spirit Created by artists Glen Eure, Hanna Jubran, Jodi Hollnagel Jubran Architect - Benjamin B. Cahoon and presented as an enduring legacy by Icarus International, Inc. Founders: Glen Eure • Denver Lindley, Jr. • Nancy Tarnai Board of Directors: President - William J. Kealy • Vice President - Ellen Kealy • Treasurer - Donald W. Bryan • Secretary - Pat . . . — Map (db m10126) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kitty Hawk — Take a Boy Fishing in North Carolina
945 lb. Atlantic Blue Marlin 6th largest on record when caught on July 28, 1983 aboard the Carolinian Oregon Inlet, NC Captain Tony Tillett, Mate Bull Tolson Angler Zak Garcia, age 14 of Southern Shores, NC Time of fight: Approximately 1 hour Length: 14’2” Girth: 72” Zak's Crew: Mickey Hayes · Southern Shores, NC Ralph English · Altavista, VA Dave Farkas · Fort Lauderdale, FL Lou Thomason · Virginia Beach, VA — Map (db m76650) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Kitty Hawk — Wright Brothers' Memorial
[Marker Front]: On this spot Sept. 17, 1900 Wilbur Wright began the assembly of the Wright Brothers' first experimental glider which led to man's conquest of the air. [Marker Back]: Sept. 17, 1987 This is a reproduction of the Wright Brother's Memorial Marker placed on this site by the Citizens of Kitty Hawk on May 2, 1928 — Map (db m9625) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manns Harbor — B-52 — Fort Forrest — ···
Confederate, mounting seven guns. Protected west side of Croatan Sound. Destroyed on Feb. 8, 1862. Earthworks stood 1 mile N. — Map (db m11339) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manns Harbor — Purple Martin Bridge Roost
(panel 1) Welcome to Manns Harbor Purple Martin Bridge Roost The Outer Banks of North Carolina are famous for beautiful beaches and other natural attractions, including a fascinating roost of purple martins here at William B. Umstead Memorial Bridge. East of the Rocky Mountains, martins are completely dependent on people to provide them with nesting structures in which to raise their young. Without their caring “landlords,” these birds would likely become very . . . — Map (db m57094) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B-44 — Andrew Cartwright
Agent of the American Colonization Society in Liberia, founded the A. M. E. Zion Churches in Albemarle area. His first church, 1865, near here. — Map (db m9462) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — BB-4 — Battle of Roanoke Island
At 3 P.M. February 7, 1862, Union forces under Gen. Ambrose Burnside landed at Ashby Harbor (A). By midnight 7,500 Federals were ashore. A Confederate force of 400 men and 3 field-pieces was sent to resist the Federal landing. The Confederates were driven away by gunfire from the Federal fleet in Croatan Sound (B). The Confederates withdrew north along the only road on the island (C), situated a little to the west of the present State Highway 345 (D), across which a line of breastworks had . . . — Map (db m11386) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Bondage
and they made their lives bitter with hard bondage           Exodus 1:14 For the millions of immigrants to this land, America has not been so much a destination as a promise: a promise of equality, a promise of self-determination and a promise of a better life for self and children. Not so for the slave. With their arrival at the Jamestown colony in August of 1619, twenty captive Africans began a legacy of chattel bondage that by 1860 would include 15 states, 4 . . . — Map (db m9670) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Bowser Family Cemetery
This marker recognizes the final resting place of Spencer Bowser, the patriarch of a prominent African American family in North Carolina. Also buried here are several other members of the Bowser family, including J.P. Bowser, Lloyd B. Bowser, Q.B. Bowser, L.C. Bowser, Naomi Augusta Collins, Reginald Mahew Collins, and William C. Bowser, who was a "surfman" at the Pea Island Station of the United States Life Saving Service, the only station manned entirely by African Americans in this division of the United States Coast Guard. — Map (db m57026) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Burnside Expedition of 1862
Much of coastal North Carolina fell to Union forces in 1862. For the duration of the Civil War Northern troops kept a sizable presence in the area. The peculiar geography of the Outer Banks and the sounds region, a damper to antebellum trade, proved indefensible for the outnumbered and poorly equipped Confederates. Under Maj. Gen. Ambrose Burnside, a Rhode Islander, Union forces swept across the region, rolling up one victory after another. In August 1861 Confederate Forts Hatteras and . . . — Map (db m56925) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B 68 — Civil Air Patrol
Coastal Patrol Base, first in N.C., opened ½ mi. S.E., in 1942. Civilian pilots supported military and patrolled for German U-boats. — Map (db m76772) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — BBB 3 — Confederate Channel Obstructions
Wood pilings placed to stop Federal fleet in Croatan Sound, still visible at low tide. Remains are 2½ mi. W. — Map (db m4875) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Deliverance
Thus saith the Lord, Let my people go.           Exodus 8:1 The bloodbath called the Civil War had begun and would cost the lives of over 600,000 Americans. As the Union armies advanced south, refugee slaves followed. After the Northern capture of Roanoke Island in February 1862, more than 3,000 ex-slaves arrived on the island. At the direction of Maj. Gen. John G. Foster, Army chaplain Horace James organized a formal colony with one-acre lots provided for about 600 . . . — Map (db m9669) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B-1 — First English Colonies
Explored in 1584. Site of first English settlements in new world, 1585-1587. Birthplace of Virginia Dare, first child born of English parents in America. — Map (db m11343) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — First Light of FreedomThe Freedmen’s Colony of Roanoke Island — National Underground Railroad - Network To Freedom
[obverse:]First Light of Freedom Former slaves give thanks by the creek’s edge at the sight of the island - “If you can cross the creek to Roanoke Island, you will find ‘safe haven’.” [rendering of Edwin Forbes' "The Sanctuary"] [reverse:] The Freedmen’s Colony of Roanoke Island 1862–1867 A year after the Civil War began, Roanoke Island fell to Union Forces. Word spread throughout North Carolina that slaves could find “safe . . . — Map (db m46990) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — BBB 2 — Fort Bartow
Confederate earth fort mounting nine guns. Bombarded by Federal fleet February 7, 1862. Earthworks 2 ½ mi. W. — Map (db m4874) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B-64 — Fort Blanchard
Confederate earth fort mounting four guns. Smallest on Roanoke Island. Surrendered on Feb. 8, 1862. Earthworks are 300 yds. S. — Map (db m4863) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B-2 — Fort Huger
Principal Confederate fort on Roanoke Island. Mounted twelve guns. Surrendered Feb. 8, 1862. Earthworks are 100 yards south. — Map (db m4862) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B 71 — Freedmen's Colony
The first refugee slave community in N.C. Est. in 1863 by Union troops. It operated until 1867 on land nearby, extending S. — Map (db m76771) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Naval Battle of Roanoke Island
During late January, 1862, a Federal land-sea expedition assembled at Hatteras Inlet to take Roanoke Island and capture control of the North Carolina Sound region. This force was under the joint command of General Ambrose Burnside and navy Flag-Officer Louis Goldsborough. After several delays due to bad weather, the Union fleet, consisting of numerous troop transports and more than 20 war vessels, arrived at the southern end of Roanoke Island. On February 7, 1862, Federal warships (O) bombarded . . . — Map (db m4828) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — B-26 — R. A. Fessenden
Inventor. Pioneer in radio communication, conducted wireless experiments, 1901-02, from a station, 600 yds. S. W. — Map (db m9513) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Red Wolf Country
(panel 1) Welcome to Red Wolf Country Northeastern North Carolina is Famous for the Outer Banks with its beautiful beaches, but the region has plenty of other natural attractions. Just a short drive inland, you’ll find many more places to appreciate nature and the areas diverse wildlife – including a fascinating animal found nowhere else in the world, the red wolf. Hearing is Believing Red wolves are shy and tend to avoid humans, so your best bet for . . . — Map (db m57095) HM
North Carolina (Dare County), Manteo — Roanoke Marshes LighthouseCelebrating Manteo's Centennial, 1899 - 1999
"In the years to come, as islanders mingle with visitors along the Manteo waterfront, let us remember that on this spot, where so many vessels have been built and launched, dreams still light the way. For how else can you explain how a lighthouse now casts its reassuring beam into the night sky, where the Town's wastewater treatment plant once stood? Safeguarding the environment, honoring our past, and dreaming of a brighter future is Manteo's shining path." - From a letter by Mayor John . . . — Map (db m47013) HM
250 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 260 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.