|Wisconsin (Columbia County), Baraboo — St. Mary's of the Pines|
| Built by B.I. Durward & Neighbors 1866 Damaged by fire 1923 Restored by Madison Council Knights of Columbus 1929 — Map (db m41612) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Baraboo River|
|The river front was once the heart of Baraboo. Railroads, industry and commercial trade gravitated toward the river, making it the initial center of activity. On the river in this area at various times 1844 - 1902 were saw mill, lathe, shingle, bed stead, chair, blind, cabinet, barrel head, hub, sash, stave, barrel, churn, door factories, tannery, foundry, and two large flour and feed mills. — Map (db m20302) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — 441 — Civilian Conservation Corps — Camp Devil's Lake|
|In an effort to get the economy moving during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the Federal Government initiated a number of work projects. One of these was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).
The CCC was for males, ages 18 to 25. Men were assigned to camps which were run in a military fashion. Each camp was a self contained community.
CCC camps were in existence from 1933 until 1942. One such camp was located in Devil's Lake State Park. It consisted of about 15 buildings, 200 CCC . . . — Map (db m19986) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Devil's Lake and the Local Residents|
|Even though visitors were drawn to the Lake by its beauty, the hotels would not have been as successful without the workers and the services provided by the local families in the area.
Caption for upper left photo: Workers at the hotels were often local women. Ella Marquardt pictured in center.
Caption for upper middle photo: Although they worked hard throughout the busy tourist season, there was always time for a little fun.
Caption for upper right . . . — Map (db m37652) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Early History of Devil's Lake|
|In 1911, Devil's Lake became the third State Park in Wisconsin.
Devil's Lake was created when the last glacier to visit this area began to retreat approximately 14,000 years ago. Glacial debris plugged both ends of the Devil's Lake Gorge as the ice melted. An ancient river that once flowed through the gorge was diverted away by these glacial plugs called terminal moraines. A lake was left behind as a gift from the glacier!
The first inhabitants of the Devil's Lake Area would . . . — Map (db m37613) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Ice Age National Scientific Reserve|
|[A map in the upper left corner of the marker shows the extent of glaciation over North America and Wisconsin's position. Below it, a map shows the extent of glaciation in Wisconsin, with the locations of National Scientific Reserve Sites (Interstate, Chippewa Moraine, Mill Bluff, Devils Lake, Cross Plains, Horicon Marsh, Campbellsport, Kettle Moraine, and Two Creeks).]
Deep winter in Wisconsin lasts about three months. But during the last two million years, dramatic shifts in . . . — Map (db m38943) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Site 4 — Man Mound|
|This huge likeness of a man is thought to represent a powerful Indian God. The aborigines who made it may have been the Effigy Mound Builders. These Indians lived here about 1000 years ago. Nearly 900 of their earthworks have been found in Sauk County. They were often used for burials.
Man Mound was first surveyed in 1859 by Wm. H. Canfield. The lower extremities were cut off by road construction before the park was established in 1908. Another Man Mound, near LaValle, was destroyed some years ago. — Map (db m57940) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — North Shore Hotel Era|
|The Hotel Era at Devil's Lake lasted from 1866 into the early 1900's. The north shore area catered to an upscale clientele.
Caption for top left photo: On February 22, 1866 the "Hotel Era" began at Devil's Lake with the opening of the Minnewauken House. Located on the northeast shore of the lake, it could accommodate up to 20 guests.
Caption for top middle photo: An early visitor to the Minnewauken House was Mary Todd Lincoln, the widow of Abraham Lincoln. . . . — Map (db m37645) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — 42 — Ringling Brothers Circus|
|“The Greatest Show on Earth” was born and grew to maturity in Baraboo, just north of here. When the five Ringling brothers gave the first performance of their "Great Double Shows, Circus and Caravan," May 19, 1884, the main tent was 45 by 90 feet. There was no band wagon, no menagerie. The menagerie was started in 1886, with a hyena advertised as the “Hideous Hyena Striata Gigantium, the Mammoth, Midnight Marauding, Man-Eating Monstrosity.” After traveling in horse-drawn . . . — Map (db m933) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Sauk County Civil War Monument|
|Erected to the memory of
Sauk County soldiers
in the War for the Union
Joe Hooker Post No. 9, Dept. of Wis.
Grand Army of the Republic
The Women's Relief Corps No. 36
and Citizens of Sauk County.
1861 — 1865
— Map (db m42540) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — South Shore Hotel Era|
|While the north shore catered to a more elegant lifestyle, the south shore retained a touch of rustic charm.
Caption for upper left photo: A "Public House" was first erected on the south shore in 1870 by H.B. Sheldon. It would go by the names of the "Sheldon House" and the "Fountain House" until purchased in 1882 by Edmund T. Hopkins. Hopkins would call it the "Lake View Hotel". Edmund Hopkins in front of the Lake View Hotel.
Text for advertisement in upper right: . . . — Map (db m37655) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — 338 — The Lower Narrows|
|This large gap, called the Lower Narrows, is one of three major gorges that cut through the 50 mile circumference of the Baraboo Range. These gorges were created by rivers more than 500 million years ago and then buried by sediments in a vast sea over the next 150 million years. Wind, water and glacial erosion have once again exposed the gorges. The Baraboo River now flows through the Upper Narrows gorge near Rock Springs, entering a basin surrounded by the Baraboo Range, and exits here at the . . . — Map (db m3951) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — The Ringling Bros. and Baraboo, Wisconsin Circus Heritage|
|In Recognition of
The Ringling Bros. and Baraboo, Wisconsin Circus Heritage
Irvin Feld and Kenneth Feld Owners of the Greatest Show on Earth
This historical marker, commemorates the birthplace of the renowned Ringling Bros. Circus. It was in this city that the first tent was erected by the five Ringling Brothers -- Al, Otto, John, Charley and Alf T. -- on May 19, 1884.
In the beginning it was a tiny show, the brothers rented horses and wagons. . . . — Map (db m42591) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — The Ringling Brothers of Baraboo|
|The Ringling family resided in Baraboo for many years. Being of German & French extraction, they literally went from rags to riches while operating their circus out of Baraboo. This closely knit family brought fame & prominence to their hometown, Baraboo. In addition to the Ringling Bros. Circus, they operated other circuses & enterprises out of these quarters. — Map (db m62309) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — Warner Memorial Road|
This enduring highway connecting
Baraboo with Devils Lake was made
possible through the generosity of
Wilbur William Warner
(1850 – 1916)
Whose boyhood home was here.
To his cherished memory this tablet
is gratefully dedicated
October 1921 — Map (db m20251) HM|
|Wisconsin (Sauk County), Baraboo — World War I Memorial|
Nov. 11, 1932
Those Who Served In The
Armed Forces Of Our Country
During The World War 1917–18
Disabled American Veterans
Of The World War Chapter 8
Veterans Of Foreign Wars Post 2336 — Map (db m42551) HM|