|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Abraham Lincoln|
|Gutzon Borglum, Sculptor of Mount Rushmore
Born: St. Charles, Idaho 1867
Died: Chicago, Illinois 1941
Copy executed by Irene Deely of Boise, Idaho 2009
"I have tried to give to posterity, in a true, unstudied picture, a glimpse of possibly the best-loved man in our national history, as he might sit alone, unposed... Gutzon Borglum 1912
Statue: Carol MacGregor, PhD, Mary Kinney Abercrombie, Leslie Sellers Garrett, Anita Kay Hardy, Melinda Sander, Adelia Garro Simplot and . . . — Map (db m32232) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 72 — Airmail Service|
|U.S. commercial airline service began with a Varney Airlines flight from Pasco to Boise which landed here on April 6, 1926. Army planes had delivered airmail before that time.
After Varney Airlines was merged with newer companies to become United Airlines, this flight was recognized as United's initial flight. A year later, Charles A. Lindberg landed here on his national tour after his solo flight to Paris. Boise's municipal airport continued to serve planes here until 1940 when 8,800-foot runways were built at its present site. — Map (db m22734) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 376 — Arrowrock Dam|
|Higher than any other dam from 1915 until 1934, Arrowrock Dam still is an essential part of Boise Valley's irrigation system.
Located six miles upstream from here, Arrowrock is 350 feet high and 1,150 feet wide. Built at a cost of $4,725,000 to provide additional water storage to get 2,635 valley farms through dry summer seasons, it had enough extra capacity to take care of more than 1,000 new farms as well. Its 18-mile canyon reservoir holds 280,000 acre feet of water. — Map (db m22597) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 379 — Basque Country|
|Idaho has a large Basque community that preserves it's ancient European traditions in a new land of opportunity. Coming here originally to herd sheep on mountain and desert ranges, they shifted into other occupations as quickly as possible, making way for more of their countrymen to follow. Their sheep wagons often can be seen on grazing lands, and a Basque museum (607 Grove St. in Boise) interprets their life here. — Map (db m31680) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 359 — Beaver Dick's Ferry|
|In 1863 and 1864, overland packers hauling supplies from Salt Lake City to Idaho City crossed here and took a direct route northward to More's Creek.
They cut a steep grade from the Oregon Trail down to Beaver Dick's Ferry, which served a crossing only a short distance below here. After gold rush excitement ended, Idaho City traffic came on through Boise and used a toll road further north to Boise Basin. — Map (db m22641) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 402 — Boise State University|
|Expanding from a two-year community college (1932-1965) to a campus with a graduate program, Boise State was designated as a university in 1974.
Originating as an Episcopalian academy founded in 1892, this institution was located a mile north of here until 1940, when Boise's municipal airport, located here became available for a large new campus. Christ's Chapel -- Boise's original Episcopalian church building, built downtown in 1866, was moved to this site for permanent preservation in 1963. — Map (db m22735) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 343 — Diversion Dam|
|Diversion Dam was completed in 1909 to lift water into an already constructed New York canal system, greatly expanding its irrigated farmlands.
After a quarter century of failure to dig a large canal above Diversion Dam, United States Reclamation Service funding enabled a group of Boise Valley irrigation districts to complete this project. Then in 1912, a generating plant was installed to provide power to construct Arrowrock Dam. It has been preserved as an historical display by Bureau of Reclamation staff. — Map (db m22586) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — Idaho State Penitentiary — Founded 1868|
|New addition built 1893
William J. McConnell, Gov.
Jas. F. Curtis, Sec. of State
Geo.M. Parsons, Atty. Gen.
Jas. King, Arch’t. — Map (db m63000) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 318 — More's Creek|
|More's Creek is named for J. Marion More, leader of the party of miners who founded Idaho City, October 7, 1862.
Like most of Idaho's early miners, he came originally from the South. Unlike most of them, he struck it rich. During the Idaho gold rush, he had profitable investments in many important mining camps. Hardly anyone else did as much to build Idaho during the early days. — Map (db m22595) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 375 — Oregon Trail|
|Indians, trappers, and emigrants who came this way before 1900 used a more direct route to get between Boise and Glenns Ferry. Their road still can be seen at Bonneville Point 5 miles from here. Following close to a line of hills bordering a broad, rolling plain, their route had water and grass essential for horses and oxen. It also gave them a spectacular view of Boise valley. To see that site, follow directional signs when you reach Interchange 64 at Black's Creek, 1 mile beyond here. — Map (db m22181) HM|
|Idaho (Ada County), Boise — 151 — The Oregon Trail|
|The Oregon Trail is still clearly visible coming off the rimrock across the river. Here the west bound emigrants after 1840 came gratefully down into this green valley.
The first cart passed here with Spalding and Whitman, pioneer missionaries, in 1836. By the middle 1840's, thousands of emigrant wagons had cut a broad track, later the Overland Road. The tide of travel went down when the railroad was completed in 1884, but the tracks of the wagons and stages can still be followed for miles east in the desert. — Map (db m22639) HM|