|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Amos T. Akerman|
|Lawyer, U.S. Attorney for District of Georgia, 1869-70; U.S. Attorney General, 1870-71. Born Portsmouth, N.H., February 23, 1821; died in Cartersville, Georgia, December 21, 1880; buried Oak Hill Cemetery. Served as Confederate soldier in Georgia State Guard, 1864. As U.S. Attorney General in cabinet of President Ulysses S. Grant, organized Justice Department and Federal Bureau of Investigation and prosecuted first civil rights violation case. His residence and law office was on this property. — Map (db m60385) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-43 — Bartow County|
|Originally Cass, Bartow County was created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee County. The name was changed Dec. 6, 1861 to honor Gen. Francis S. Bartow (1816-1861), Confederate political leader and soldier, who fell mortally wounded at the First Battle of Manassas, while leading the 7th and 8th Ga. Vols. of his brigade. His last words were said to be, “They have killed me, boys, but never give up.” First officers of this county, commissioned March 9, 1833, were: Benjamin F. Adair, . . . — Map (db m40585) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-41 — Battle of Allatoona|
|After the fall of Atlanta, hoping Sherman would follow, Hood moved his Confederate army north, sending French’s Division to fill the railroad cut at Allatoona, and burn the railroad bridge over the Etowah River, to hamper Sherman’s movement.
French found Corse with 2,000 men entrenched on the ridge guarding military stores, and with his 3,000 he attacked on October 5, 1864. The fight was costly but indecisive. French lost 799, Corse 706 men. French, not risking an all-out attack, withdrew before aid reached Corse. — Map (db m21843) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Etowah|
|Four miles east, in the gorge of the Etowah River, are the picturesque ruins of the once flourishing town of Etowah, developed by Mark Cooper around his iron furnace and rolling mill. The furnace was built in 1844, following one built in 1837 on Stamp Creek. Later five others operated nearby.
In 1864, Etowah reached its peak with 2,000 inhabitants, iron furnace, foundry, and rolling mill, flour mill, corn mills and saw mills, and was destroyed for its munitions importance by Sherman’s Army. — Map (db m56315) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-54 — Etowah (Tumlin) Mounds|
|For over 100 years Etowah Indian Mounds were the Tumlin Mounds. In 1832 Col. Lewis Tumlin came to Cass County (Bartow) and drew the land lot that contained the mounds. Col. Tumlin served as county sheriff from 1834 to 1840. As young soldiers, Gen. William
T. Sherman and Col. Tumlin became friends. First visiting the mounds in 1844, Sherman returned in 1864 and spared Col. Tumlin´s home. In 1887, the Tumlins allowed the Smithsonian Institute´s Bureau of American Ethnology to survey and . . . — Map (db m13471) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-47 — Etowah and the War|
|The Confederacy sought iron and munitions eagerly, which quickly brought prosperity to Etowah. Patriotic key workers, though exempt from army duty, enlisted, and loss of their skill hampered production.
Mark Cooper sold the works in 1862. In the 1863, the Confederacy took over the firm seeking to increase production. As Sherman marched by in 1864, mindful of the war value of iron, he sent troops, who, after a brisk skirmish, burned the plant on May 22. This ended an era -- the works were not . . . — Map (db m56318) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-45 — Federal Fort|
|Atop the hill to the east was a fort that protected the river bridge, part of the rail line which enabled Sherman to supply his army during the Atlanta Campaign. The rail line has been moved downstream, but piers in the river mark the site of the bridge in 1864. Troops here passed much time in swimming, hiking, picking berries, and they played baseball in the field to the west -- doubtless some of the first games in this section. Often the men went out seeking food, and sometimes were fired . . . — Map (db m10894) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-14 — Felton Home|
|Dr. William H. Felton and his wife, Rebecca Latimer, lived from 1853 until 1905 in the house east of this marker.
A physician, minister and noted orator, Dr. Felton was the leader of the Independent Revolt from the State Democratic Party in the 1870´s and won three spectacular Congressional campaigns.
Mrs. Felton´s appointment in 1922 at the age of 87, as the first woman U.S. Senator climaxed a long career in which she had gained wide recognition as an author, newspaper columnist, and crusader for women´s rights. — Map (db m13483) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Friendship Cemetery|
|This site was donated by Arnold Milner, owner of a farm on the Etowah River, to be used for a church and cemetery for his family and friends. Friendship Presbyterian Church held its first services here on February 26, 1843. The church met here until 1853 when it moved to its present location in Cartersville where it became known as the First Presbyterian Church. Burials in the cemetery continued for more than 100 years. — Map (db m56367) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-51 — Friendship Monument|
|The nearby marble shaft has the unique distinction of having been erected by a debtor in honor of his creditors. Losses during the panic of 1857 forced Mark A. Cooper, proprietor of the Etowah Iron Works, to offer this property for sale to satisfy a $100,000 debt. Thirty-eight friends signed notes totaling that amount to save the enterprise. When the debt was repaid in 1860, Cooper erected this monument on which the names of his benefactors are inscribed. — Map (db m11627) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Home of Sam P Jones|
|Sam P. Jones was born October 16, 1847, in Oak Bowery, Alabama; he moved to Cartersville with his parents in 1856. After his admission to the Georgia Bar in 1868 he married Laura McElwain. In 1872 he was licensed as a Methodist Minister. His national career of evangelism begun in 1864, covered the U.S. and Canada. Dedicated on Christmas Day, 1865, this house was occupied for twenty-one years by Sam Jones. His public speaking was famous for its pathos and humor while his gospel was loved for its appeal. He died on October 15, 1906. — Map (db m21695) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — John W. Akin — 1850 - 1907|
|Initiated in Cartersville Lodge No. 63 on June 2, 1891, passed on June 30, & raised on
Aug. 4, 1891. Was W.M. 1893, 1894, 1899 & 1901. Jr. Grand Warden of the Grand Lodge of GA in 1897 & 1898. Judge of Cartersville City Court, President of City School Board. President & Secretary of Georgia Bar Association. Representative and State Senator for Bartow county. President of the Georgia Senate. A Lawyer, Politician, Farmer , Miner, Railroad Builder, Writer & devoted member of the Methodist . . . — Map (db m53015) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-50 — Mark Anthony Cooper's Iron Works|
|These ruins of an old iron furnace built by Moses Stroup are all that remain of Cooper's Iron Works, developed by Mark Anthony Cooper, pioneer industrialist, politician, and farmer. Cooper was born in 1800 near Powelton, Ga. Graduating from S.C. College (now the University of S.C.) in 1819, he was admitted to the bar in 1821 and opened a law office in Eatonton. A member of the Ga. Legislature in 1855, he later served in the 26th Congress, filled a vacancy in the 27th, and was reelected to the . . . — Map (db m56319) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 003-8 — Milam's Bridge|
|The covered structure over the Etowah here, was burned by Jackson´s [CS] Cav. May 21, 1864, the day after Johnston´s [CS] passage of the river at State R.R. Bridge. May 23rd, the 2 pontoon bridges intended for the passage of Schofield´s 23d A.C. [US] were usurped by the 20th A.C. [US] (mistakenly diverted from Gillem´s bridge) and the 23d A.C. did not cross until the 24th. This and crossings lower down were on Federal routes from Kingston & Cassville toward Dallas, Paulding Co. Sherman [US] . . . — Map (db m13840) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Old Bartow County Courthouse — Circa 1873|
|Has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m60407) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Pierce Manning Butler Young, (1836-1896)|
|PMB Young was born in Spartanburg, S.C., on November 15, 1836. His parents were Dr. Robert Maxwell and Elizabeth Caroline (Jones) Young. The Young family came to Georgia in 1839. He graduated from Georgia Military Institute at Marietta in 1856; studied law; entered the USMA, West Point, N.Y., in 1857 and resigned two months before graduation to enter the Confederate Army. He became the youngest Major General in both Armies. After the war, he came home to Cartersville. Was elected to fill the . . . — Map (db m21680) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-25 — Raccoon Creek|
|Geary´s (2d) Div., 20th A.C. [US], having crossed the Etowah, May 23, drove Ross´ cavalry [CS] beyond the creek, May 24, 1864. This covered the march of
the rest of the corps S. to Burnt Hickory P.O., in which Geary´s troops joined - being relieved here by Schofield´s 23d A.C. [US] at noon.
Schofield moved E. on this, the Alabama rd., enroute to Sligh´s Mill - these troops being the left of Sherman´s [US] flanking March around the Allatoona
Mountains. The 20th A.C. route to Hickory was the road next W. of Raccoon Creek. — Map (db m13946) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — 008-12B — Site of Sam Jones' Tabernacle|
|For 20 years, thousands came annually to this site, attracted by the magnetic personality and forceful eloquence of Sam Jones, renowned Evangelist and Christian crusader.
Here he built, in 1886, at his own expense, a large open-air structure, called “The Tabernacle,” for the inter-faith meetings begun in 1884.
Until his death in 1906, he held services here each September, bringing to his hometown the co-workers who assisted him in the great revivals he held throughout the country. — Map (db m40571) HM|
|Georgia (Bartow County), Cartersville — Tribute on Monument / 38 Names on Monument|
|Side 1 This monument is erected by Mark A. Cooper, Proprietor at Etowah, as a Grateful tribute to the Friendship and Liberality of those whose names are hereon inscribed, which prompted them to aid him in the prosecution and development of the interests at Etowah. Side 2 West Side Wade S. Cochran • John Banks • William L. Mitchell • J.E. Hart • Pleasant Stovall • John M. Flournoy • James R. Jones • H.S. Smith • Wareham Cromwell • Hon. M.J. Wellborn • John W. Lewis • Lewis Tumlin . . . — Map (db m11630) HM|