HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Omit DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Colmar Manor Markers
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Abraham Lincoln
On Fort Lincoln Cemetery Road 0.3 miles south of Bladensburg Road.
This statue of the Great Emancipator portrays in his last days the thin, tired, war-worn president in thoughtful and deep meditation and is considered one of the finest bronze statues ever made of President Lincoln. It was created by one of America’s foremost sculptors, Andrew O’Connor, who also did the statue of Lincoln which now stands in front of the State House in Springfield, Illinois. It was cast by the Gorham Manufacturing Company of Providence, Rhode Island, in the most permanent . . . — Map (db m17479) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Battle of Bladensburg
Near Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles from 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
This is the site of the Battle of Bladensburg which took place in the War of 1812. Commodore Joshua Barney and his 500 Marines were greatly outnumbered by the British Expeditionary Force of 4,500 trained regulars. The battle raged for four hours but eventually the overpowering numerical odds won out for the British who went on to burn the Capitol and White House. On this location, Commodore Barney was wounded and taken prisoner. This memorial is in honor of Commodore Joshua Barney who made . . . — Map (db m70037) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Bladensburg Dueling GroundsBattle of Bladensburg — Star Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (U.S. 1) at 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Bladensburg Road.
Throughout much of the nineteenth century, the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds were well-known as a place to settle differences. The site was a secluded location, close to taverns, and fell outside of Washington D.C.'s boundaries, where dueling was prohibited. The first notable fight was between two members of Congress in 1808. More than 26 recorded and 50 reported duels were fought in the 1800's — including the duel between Commodore Stephen Decatur and Commodore James Barron in . . . — Map (db m73130) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Clearing the Way to Washington
The Battle of Bladensburg on August 24, 1814, ended in defeat for the United States and allowed the British to invade Washington, D.C. Once the Americans realized the British route of advance, there was little time to prepare. They hastily established lines of defense near the port town of Bladensburg, where the British would cross the Eastern Branch of the Potomac (known today as the Anacostia).

The poorly trained and ill-equipped American militia, though superior in number, were no match . . . — Map (db m61550) HM

Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Dueling Grounds
On Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) at 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Bladensburg Road.
On this site, now part of Anacostia River Park, more than 50 duels were fought during the first half of the 19th century. Here, on what became known as "the dark and bloody grounds", gentleman of Washington settled their political and personal differences. One of the most famous disputes was that between commodores Stephen Decatur and James Barron which was settled here on March 22, 1820. Commodore Decatur, who had gained fame as the conqueror of the Barbary pirates, was . . . — Map (db m3613) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Famous FootstepsBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (Alternate U.S. 1) east of 40th Avenue.
As the militia – local citizens—defended this road, then known as the Bladensburg or Washington turnpike, from approaching British troops in 1814, three historical figures stood in the thick of the battle at or near this point: President Madison, Secretary of State James Monroe, and Francis Scott Key. They were making and preparing plans for the battle alongside commanding General William Winder and Secretary of War John Armstrong. Francis Scott Key was here acting as an . . . — Map (db m73241) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Fort Lincoln
Near Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
These earthworks are a portion of the original fortifications which made up Fort Lincoln. This fort was built during the summer of 1861 to serve as an outer defense of the city of Washington. It was named in honor of President Lincoln by General Order No. 18, A.G.O., Sept. 30, 1861. The brigade of Major General Joseph Hooker was the first to occupy this area. In immediate command of the fort was Captain T.S. Paddock. The Civil War cannons have been placed here through the courtesy of the . . . — Map (db m46714) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Historic Fort Lincoln Cemetery
On Bladensburg Road 0.2 miles south of 37th Street, on the left when traveling south.
Fort Lincoln Cemetery was chartered in 1912 by an act of the Maryland General Assembly and presently contains 178 acres. Here, at Fort Lincoln Cemetery, masterworks of marble, granite and bronze stand in solemn dignity and provides a tranquil setting for those visiting the final resting places of their loved ones. Fort Lincoln property consists of parcels from three early land grants: Scotland (1685), Barbadoes (1685) and Chillum Castle Manor (1763). A few of these early land owners . . . — Map (db m3614) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Old Spring House
Near Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
This venerable building dates back to the year 1683, when one of the early colonists built his home on the overlooking hillside. The spring still feeds cool water to the trough inside the spring house. This was the only method available in those days for cooling milk, butter and other dairy products. This land was a part of the original grant from Lord Baltimore to George Conn, and remained in the Conn family for more than 200 years. This is one of the oldest buildings standing in the state of Maryland. — Map (db m5070) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Second Line FallsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (U.S. Alt. 1) when traveling west.
The Second of three defensive lines blocking the British advance on Washington stretched along here. It was located on the first set of hills overlooking the river. The American militia was unprepared to face seasoned war veterans. Holding firm against the initial assault at the bridge, the militia gave way as the British rushed again, pushing through the first two lines. Only the third remained. "The American Troops were drawn up in three lines, like so many regiments upon a gala . . . — Map (db m69353) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Second Line FallsStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (U.S. 1) at 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Bladensburg Road.
The Second of three defensive lines blocking the British advance on Washington stretched along here. It was located on the first set of hills overlooking the river. The American militia was unprepared to face seasoned war veterans. Holding firm against the initial assault at the bridge, the militia gave way as the British rushed again, pushing through the first two lines. Only the third remained. "The American Troops were drawn up in three lines, like so many regiments upon a gala . . . — Map (db m73131) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — Storming the BridgeStar-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (Alternate U.S. 1), on the left when traveling west.
A wooden bridge just upriver became the focal point on August 24, 1814, when American and British forces clashed in the Battle of Bladensburg. The British approached from the east, clarifying their intent -- to invade Washington. The Americans formed three defensive lines: the first here to protect the bridge, the second along present-day 40th Avenue, and the third at Fort Lincoln Cemetery at the District Line. At 1:00p.m. the British stormed the bridge. "The [Americans] were drawn up . . . — Map (db m61108) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Lincoln Oak
Near Bladensburg Road (Maryland Route 450) 0.2 miles west of 38th Avenue, on the left when traveling west.
This gnarled and ringed stump, attesting to its age, is all that remains of the majestic oak tree that once shaded the old Spring House. Steeped in history, it was put to rest by the forces of nature. Its passing will never be forgotten and its existence will be remembered forever as a sentinel over these historic grounds. — Map (db m5071) HM
Maryland (Prince George's County), Colmar Manor — The Road to the CapitalBattle of Bladensburg — Star-Spangled Banner National Historic Trail
On Bladensburg Road (U.S. Alt 1) east of 40th Avenue when traveling west.
The War of 1812 raged on land and sea, touching every border of the young nation. On August 24, 1814, after two years at war, the Americans faced the British here at Bladensburg. While the American militia were unable to hold back the British attack at the Anacostia River, Marines and sailors—including U. S. Chesapeake Flotillamen—set up a defense blocking the road outside present-day Fort Lincoln Cemetery. After hours of intense fighting, American forces were overrun and . . . — Map (db m73190) HM
14 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 148 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.