|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-01 — Cushing Memorial Park|
|Cushing Park, dedicated to Civil War heroes William, Alonzo, and Howard Cushing, was Waukesha County’s first state park. The 50 foot Barre’ granite monument stands on part of the original Cushing homestead. The park was a gathering place for the Grand Army of the Republic (Civil War Veterans) and allied organizations. The site was designated a state park in 1915 through efforts of Waukesha County Historical Society and citizens of Delafield. It was turned over to the City of Delafield in May . . . — Map (db m43596) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 391 — Delafield Fish Hatchery|
|Constructed in 1907, the impressive Delafield Fish Hatchery stands as a reminder of Wisconsin's dependence upon its plentiful fishing waters. In the early 20th century, Wisconsin's growing concern over lake and stream fish depletion led to a state fish hatchery program for propagating fish. The Delafield Fish Hatchery was the second hatchery built under this program. Originally comprised of 32 acres, the hatchery was designed by State Architect John T.W. Jennings. The grounds included six . . . — Map (db m31796) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-02 — Hawks Inn|
|Built in 1846 of hand-hewn timbers and hand-made nails. Builder & owner was Nelson Paige Hawks (1799-1863), a cultured Yankee, who was Delafield’s first Postmaster, a Justice of the Peace, Town Chairman, owner of a grist & saw mill, & builder of first town hall. This Inn was the most popular stage coach stop between Waukesha & Madison on the Milw.-Madison line. It is one of 13 buildings in Waukesha County cited by the Historic American Bldg. Survey of the U.S. Dept. of Interior.
It was moved . . . — Map (db m43597) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 328 — Lapham Peak|
|In 1870, on top of Lapham Peak, then known as Government Hill, the United State Army signal Corps established one of its original National Weather Service signal stations. Weather data was received here from Pikes Peak, Colorado, and relayed to the United State Weather Bureau headquarters in Chicago. Lapham Peak, the highest point in Waukesha County, is named for Increase Allen Lapham (1811-1875), Wisconsin’s premier 19th century naturalist, archeologist and scholar. From this peak, Lapham . . . — Map (db m32097) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 05-03 — Lapham Peak|
|Known until 1916 as Government Hill because it was used for government surveying purposes, Lapham Peak is the highest point in Waukesha County at 1233 ft. It was purchased by the state in 1905 as part of the farms acquired for the Statesan tuberculosis hospital. The remaining hospital bldgs. are now part of the Ethan Allen School for Boys.
Increase A. Lapham (1811-1875), for whom the peak is named, was a New Yorker who came to Wisconsin in 1836 as an engineer for Byron Kilbourn’s ill-fated . . . — Map (db m32098) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 160 — Nashotah Mission|
|Inspired by Bishop Jackson Kemper, James Lloyd Breck and his companions founded Nashotah Mission as a center for the Episcopal Church’s work in Wisconsin Territory. Preparation of candidates for the priesthood quickly became a major task, to meet the needs of the Church on the frontier. The Blue House, built in 1842, was the community’s home. In the Red Chapel, built in 1843, prayer and Sacrament gave the strength and courage required for apostolic achievement. — Map (db m32526) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 497 — Northwestern Military and Naval Academy|
|Educational reformer Harlan Page Davidson founded Northwestern Military Academy in Highland Park, Illinois in 1888. For years many of the cadets came from northern Illinois, but enrollment broadened when the academy moved to the shores of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin, in 1915.
The Davidson family (Harlan Page and especially his son Royal Page) continued to operate the school until 1944, when the main line of the family died out. During this period the academy gained national fame with the Bycicle . . . — Map (db m31474) HM|
|Wisconsin (Waukesha County), Delafield — 244 — St. John's Military Academy|
|St. John’s, the oldest Military Academy in Wisconsin, was founded as a boy’s prep school in 1844 when Sidney T. Smythe, a student at Nashotah House, reopened an abandoned Delafield schoolhouse for St. John’s first students. Dr. Smythe graduated from Nashotah in 1886 and devoted the rest of his life to building the Academy.
The main campus buildings were built to complement each other in design and appearance. Of English Gothic design with serrated roofs, towers and battlements of stone, . . . — Map (db m31473) HM|