|Illinois (Du Page County), Downers Grove — Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building — A Downers Grove Historic Site — circa 1892|
|The Farmer's and Merchant's Bank Building was built in 1892 for the first bank in Downers Grove. The bank was organized on May 10, 1892. The officers of the bank included Charles Curtiss, President, W.A. Tope, M.D., Vice President, and W.H. Edwards, Cashier. The Directors were Jake Klein, Conrad Buschman, Charles Mochel, L.P. Narramore, Albert Smart and T.T. Thompson. The group of ladies who had formed the Ladies' Library Association in 1891 were delighted when the bank donated a room in the . . . — Map (db m60037) HM|
|Illinois (Du Page County), Downers Grove — Main Street Cemetery — A Downers Grove Historic Site — circa 1856|
|In 1856, Samuel Curtiss donated part of his sheep pasture for use as a cemetery. He was later paid $15 for the land, money from individuals who formed a cemetery association in 1864. Nearly 100 members of Downers Grove's early families, including Israel Blackburn, a freedman, and members of the Blanchard, Curtiss and Wells families are buried here. The cemetery was used until 1939 when Emma Foster Miller was the last to be interred. It is one of the few American cemeteries located in a main business district. — Map (db m60038) HM|
|Illinois (Du Page County), Downers Grove — Main Street Cemetery|
|In the early days this was the entrance to the cemetery since the original Main Street was one block west of present day Main Street. For this reason, as you will note, most of the inscriptions on the gravestones are facing west.
As a result of Henry Carpenter's wish for a proper burial ground in Downers Grove, Samuel Curtiss donated a part of his sheep pasture for a cemetery. He later was paid $15 for the land, collected from people who formed a cemetery association. Plots were sold for . . . — Map (db m60039) HM|
|Illinois (Du Page County), Downers Grove — Masonic Temple — A Downers Grove Historic Site — 1924|
|Architects Fugard & Knapp designed this temple in 1924 for Grove Lodge No. 824, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons. The Lodge was chartered October 4, 1893. Charter members included E.E. Downer, G.E. Downer, M.B. Downer, T.S. Rogers, Charles Mochel, W.S. Carpenter and William Repine who served as the first Worshipful Master.
The cornerstone was laid on July 12, 1924. Grove Lodge held their first meeting in their new temple on February 16, 1925. During the Great Depression the building was . . . — Map (db m60036) HM|
|Illinois (Du Page County), Downers Grove — The Indian Boundary Line|
|Immediately north of this marker runs the Indian Boundary Line which was established on Aug 24, 1816 by a treaty between three U.S. commissioners and the Chippewa, Ottawa and Potawotami Indians to provide a corridor between Lake Michigan and the Illinois River. — Map (db m60035) HM|