|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Fort Mill — 29-28 — The Revolution in the Backcountry/ Sumter's Camp at Clems Branch|
The Revolution in the Backcountry
After British forces took Charleston in May 1780, they set up outposts in the backcountry and attempted to control the state by encouraging Loyalists. Backcountry Patriots organized a resistance in response, with an important camp ½ mi. E at Clems Branch of Sugar Creek, on the wagon road from Camden to Charlotte.
Sumter's Camp at Clems Branch
In June 1780 Col. Thomas Sumterís troops were . . . — Map (db m23786) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Catawba Indian Memorial|
| [South Side]:
Erected to the
Sam'l Elliott White
John McKee Spratt
The latter is a descendant Thos. "Kanahwa" Spratt and the former a descendant of Wm. Elliott (a kinsman of Kanahwas) two of the first settlers in this portion of the Indian Land (1755-60).
Some of the Catawbas who served in the Confederate Army
Jeff Ayers - John Scott - Alex Timins - Bill Sanders - John Harris - Wm Canty - Billy . . . — Map (db m24825) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Confederate Park|
Established 1891 on property donated by Capt. Samuel E. White. The site was given citizens of Fort Mill to perpetuate the memory of those who sacrificed so much from 1861-1865. Assisting in making the historic spot a reality were John McKee Spratt and others. Monuments were erected from 1891 to 1900. Funds defraying costs were by public subscription, with no government money involved. The bandstand was built in 1900. — Map (db m24820) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-21 — Fort Mill|
Fort Mill was established on land received in 1787 by Thomas Spratt, one of the first settlers in this area. According to local tradition, the 4,535-acre tract in Catawba Indian territory was given Spratt by the Catawbas who were grateful for his assistance in routing the Shawnees from their lands.
Fort Mill is said to have taken its name from Webb's Grist Mill and a Catawba Indian fort near here. The post office was established in 1811 and named Fort . . . — Map (db m24819) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Fort Mill Confederate Memorial|
Dum Spiro Spero
Spes Animis Opibuscue Parati
List of names
The warrior's banner takes its flight
to greet the warrior's soul.
List of names — Map (db m24827) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-4 — Jefferson Davis's Flight South, April 26-27, 1865 ó Last Confederate Cabinet Meeting, April 27, 1865|
Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet, making their way south from Richmond, Va. with a cavalry escort, stopped at Fort Mill on April 26, 1865. Davis spent the night at Springfield, the home of Col. Andrew Baxter Springs, about 3.5 mi. N; others stayed here at the home of Col. William Elliott White.
On the morning of April 27, 1865, Davis's Cabinet met here on the lawn to discuss the resignation of Secretary of the Treasury George A. . . . — Map (db m24828) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Nation Ford|
Original trestle completed 1852
by Charlotte & South Carolina R.R.
on site of ancient crossing
known as the Nation Ford.
Burning by Federals April 19, 1865,
touched off sharp battle with Southern forces
which resulted in Union retreat.
trestle rebuilt after war.
Washed away by flood on July 17, 1916;
rebuilt in present form.
traditional site of the Battle of Liberty Hill,
between Catawba and Cherokee Indians.
Sumter camped here July, 1780.
Cornwallis here . . . — Map (db m11050) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-45 — Springfield Plantation|
This house was built ca. 1806 for planter John Springs III (1782-1853), who served in the S.C. House 1828-34 and was a partner in several banks, railroads, and textile mills before the Civil War. His son Andrew Baxter Springs (1819-1886) enlarged and remodeled this house in the 1850s. He served in the S.C. House 1852-56 and was also a delegate to the Secession Convention.
On April 26, 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his Cabinet, . . . — Map (db m47679) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — To the Faithful Slaves|
the faithful slaves
who, loyal to a sacred trust,
toiled for the support
of the army with matchless
devotion and sterling
fidelity [and] guarded our defenseless
homes, women and children during
the struggle for the principles
of our "Confederate States of
Erected by Sam'l E. White
in grateful memory of earlier
days. With approval of the
Memorial Association. . . . — Map (db m42188) HM|
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — 46-49 — Unity Presbyterian Church|
This church, founded in 1788, predates the present town of Fort Mill and has occupied four sites in the vicinity. The first church, a log building, stood about 2 mi. NE in a community known as “Little York.” It burned in 1804. A log church was built 5 blocks N, where the first church cemetery was laid out. That church burned in 1838, and the congregation moved to a site just E of the current location.|
The second church cemetery, laid out . . . — Map (db m47680) HM
|South Carolina (York County), Fort Mill — Women of the Confederacy Memorial|
the Jefferson Davis
to the women of
The living and the dead,
who midst the gloom of war
were heroines in the strife,
to perpetuate their noble
sacrifices on the altar of
our common country. Let
sweet incense forever
rise, till it reach them,
in robes of victory
beyond the skies.
White - Johnston
Spratt - Epps
Springs - . . . — Map (db m24821) HM|