HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Greenville Markers
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Bond County Civil War Memorial
[East Face] In Memory of All Who Followed the Flag From 1861 to 1865 Living and Dead. Erected 1903 SHILOH [South Face] This monument is erected by the Grand Army of the Republic Women's Relief Corps, Sons of Veterans and Other Patriotic Citizens of Bond County which sent 1200 men, the bravest of the brave many of whom never returned but gave their lives for the land they loved VICKSBURG [West Face] From scattered lands, From . . . — Map (db m34161) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Bond County Veterans Memorial
Lest We Forget This memorial is dedicated to the men and women of Bond County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America Dedicated Nov. 11, 1997 In memory of those from Bond County who gave their lives while serving their country in Korea Thacker, Roy, Pvt, 8-10-1950 Bone, Zacharia, Pvt, 8-22-1952 Elam, Ivan, PFC, 10-13-1950 Tidwell, Dewey, PFC, 8-30-1950 Stockwell, Jesse, Pvt, 10-4-1951 Vietnam Scott, Michael J., SP4, . . . — Map (db m34189) WM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Bulkley-Buie Store c. 1840
S.B. Bulkley's first business here was in a frame business house in 1833. In 1840, he tore it down and rebuilt in brick. His clerk, Alexander Buie, later became his partner and the store was enlarged. Buie also sold Bibles in his store. When Daniel Grigg joined Buie, the second story was added to the building. In 1885 the store was a harness shop and later became a meat market. — Map (db m34148) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — F. P. Joy & Company
In 1870, W. S. Dann opened a small one room store at this location. Additions were built in 1880 and 1886. Mr. Dann was one of those most interested in the founding of Greenville College. F. P. Joy joined Dann within a few months of the store's opening and later came to be the store's owner in 1895. F. P. Joy & Co. employed 15-18 clerks in their general store and 3 or 4 more in their clothing department. — Map (db m34147) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — First City Hall and Fire House completed July 31, 1934
The building cost $15,000 and took 5 months to complete. "For the first time in Greenville's 119 years of history in which great progress was made in every other direction, the city really had its own building in which to conduct its business. In the past they had been compelled to meet in any old house by the side of the road... and many were the places they met to struggle with the city's business." Much of the credit for the building's materialization was due to Mayor Lee Loyd. — Map (db m34183) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — History of Greenville-Bond County
Illinois Confederacy Indians roamed this prairie land, rich in game, which became Illinois County of Virginia. Ceded in 1784 to the United States it was successively included in the Northwest, Indiana; and in 1809, Illinois Territory. Formed in 1817, Bond County named for Shadrack Bond extended to the Canadian border and was one of 15 counties represented at first State Constitutional Convention. Settlers came in 1806, Jones-Greene Fort was built 1807, Hills' Fort founded 1811 was an anchor . . . — Map (db m34169) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — J. R. Bennett Building 1870
The earliest records show Samuel Colcord's Sorghum Mill once stood here. In 1870 Charles R. Bennett opened his new drugstore. Four drugstores were operating on the square during this time. It was Kate Benneett, Charles' wife, who prevailed on her husband to allow the ladies to place all their books on the second floor, establishing Greenville's first lending library. — Map (db m34176) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — John Posch Shoemaker from Austria
In 1912, at age 24, John Posch came to the United States with a dime in his pocket and a bag of tools. In Austria, he had apprenticed for four years as a shoemaker and passed his test to work the trade. In Greenville, he started up his business in a two room house at the corner of East South and First Streets. In 1947, Posch bought the building at this location and started selling ready-made shoes from the International Shoe Company. John Posch, his sons Carl and Louie, and employee Ed . . . — Map (db m34145) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in Bond County
In memory fo the soldiers of the War of the American Revolution who are buried in Bond County, Illinois John Diamond Joseph McAdams James Green Jacob Neer Peter Hubbard Williamson Plant Charles Johnson Hezekiah Rowe James Long Thomas White Erected June 14, 1929 — Map (db m34126) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Ronald Reagan
Dedicated to the memory of Ronald Reagan, who spoke at this intersection on October 18, 1980, while campaigning for the United States Presidency. — Map (db m34158) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — State Bank of Hoiles & Sons
This bank was established in August, 1869, by Charles Hoiles and Charles D. Hoiles. In December of 1895 the bank was incorporated as the State Bank of Hoiles & Sons with a capital of $25,000. In September, 1903, the capital stock was increased to $50,000. The bank was originally constructed of brick with a corner entrance. Charles Hoiles was a member of the Illinois Legislature at the time of the Lincoln-Douglas contest. — Map (db m34155) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Turret Building
This building used to be balanced by another more ornate one at the northern most part of the block. The old Post Office and the Cyclone Hose Company, Greenville's first First Station, were located in what was known as the Demoulin block before the buildings burned. This side of the square suffered large fires in 1891, 1904, and 1913. — Map (db m34174) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — War of 1812 Soldiers Buried in Bond County
. . . — Map (db m34127) HM
Illinois (Bond County), Greenville — Weise & Bradford Store 1879
On this northwest corner of the square, the former Hotel Eureka (better known as the Franklin House) once stood. It served as the old stage coach house and was "the best house in town, two stories high, with a double porch on the front, and withal a fine building for those days." Lincoln stopped at this hotel when he visited Greenville in 1858 during the Lincoln and Douglas campaign. — Map (db m34185) HM
14 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 109 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.