|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — “Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis Has Left the Building”|
|Former site of the Market Square Arena where on June 26, 1977 Elvis Aaron Presley performed his final concert. A scarf given by Elvis at that concert and words of remembrance from his fans have been encased in this marker so that a future generation may choose to reveal the memories 100 years from this date, June 26, 2002.
Elvis is called the “Artist of the 20th Century” and is an American Icon. — Map (db m538) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2007.1 — 1907 Indiana Eugenics Law|
By late 1800s, Indiana authorities believed criminality, mental problems, and pauperism were hereditary. Various laws were enacted based on this belief. In 1907, Governor J. Frank Hanly approved first state eugenics law making sterilization mandatory for certain individuals in state custody. Sterilizations halted 1909 by Governor Thomas R. Marshall.
Indiana Supreme Court ruled 1907 law unconstitutional 1921, citing denial of due process . . . — Map (db m1829) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.5 — 28th Regiment USCT|
|Indiana’s only African-American Civil War regiment served as part of the 28th Regiment of U.S. Colored Troops. African-American infantry was authorized in 1863 to help fill federal quota for soldiers. The Reverend Willis Revels was recruiting officer. Recruits trained at Camp Fremont, established on land near here owned by Calvin Fletcher.
In April 1864, six companies were organized and activated. The 28th regiment served valiantly in the Battle of the Crater at Petersburg, Virginia on . . . — Map (db m1845) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1960.1 — Anthony Wayne|
|1745–1796. Wayne Township was named for Gen. Anthony Wayne. This hero of the Revolution defeated the Indians at Fallen Timbers, 1794, and opened large areas for settlement by the Treaty of Greene Ville, 1795. — Map (db m567) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1996.2 — Bates-Hendricks House|
|Combines two nineteenth-century architectural styles. Built 1850s-1860 in Italianate Style. Later additions in Second Empire Style. Owners included Hervey Bates, Sr., first Marion County sheriff, Thomas A. Hendricks, U.S. vice president, and John Coburn, U.S. congressman. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1976. — Map (db m1827) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1999.1 — Bowen-Merrill Fire / Indianapolis Fire Department|
Side A:Bowen-Merrill FireOn March 17, 1890 the Bowen-Merrill Company stationery and book store at 16-18 West Washington Street caught fire. Eighty-six firemen fought the blaze. The wood framed roof and floors collapsed, dropping many men into the fire. Thirteen deaths resulted, the deadliest fire for firefighters in Indianapolis history.
Indianapolis Fire DepartmentVolunteer force founded 1826; established as Indianapolis Fire Department with paid force . . . — Map (db m41185) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1963.1 — Brig. General Benjamin Harrison|
|1833–1901. Entered the Union Army as 2nd Lt. of the 70th Indiana Regiment. He insisted on turning raw recruits into disciplined soldiers. He later was United States Senator from Indiana and the twenty-third President of the United States. — Map (db m565) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.1 — Brookville Road|
| Side one:
On December 31, 1821, a 78-mile state road was authorized from the Ohio border to Indianapolis through Brookville, to be built with required citizen labor. Commissioners filed a survey report June 24, 1822 for the Brookville State Road. On January 24, 1828, a turnpike company was authorized to build an improved road by bidding out sections.
Brookville Road was the principal route for goods and people from here to Cincinnati. Road travel was difficult in . . . — Map (db m44713) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.1 — Bulgarian Orthodox Church|
|Original site of Saint Stephan Bulgarian Orthodox Church in 1915; relocated in 1955 to 1435 North Medford Avenue. Founded by Macedonian and Bulgarian immigrants to fulfill their religious needs and enjoyment of the traditions, customs, and fellowship of their Slavonic heritage. — Map (db m4616) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2006.1 — Calvin Fletcher|
|Born 1798 in Ludlow, Vermont, Fletcher and his wife Sarah came to this newly-named state capital 1821. They lived here 1839–1855 on a 269-acre farm, Wood Lawn, which encompassed most of today’s Fletcher Place Historic District. He was active and influential in most aspects of life and culture in Indianapolis and in development of the state.
Fletcher opposed slavery and promoted organization of U.S. colored troops in Indiana in Civil War. He died 1866 and is buried in Crown Hill . . . — Map (db m1853) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1962.1 — Camp Morton — 1861–65|
|Site selected by Lew Wallace as training camp for volunteers on old State Fairgrounds in 1861 and named for Governor Oliver P. Morton. Used as a camp for Confederate prisoners, 1862-65. Col. Richard Owen, Commandant. — Map (db m1855) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Camp Sullivan (Military Park)|
|Was ceded to State by Congress in 1827. First City Park and site of the first State Fair 1852. Named by Gov. Morton to honor Gen. Jeremiah Sullivan. Marshalling Center during Civil War 1861-1864. — Map (db m4619) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1964.1 — Civil War Arsenal 1861 - 1864|
|Governor Oliver P. Morton established a state arsenal to supply Indiana's troops with ammunition. First located adjacent to the State Capitol, the arsenal was later moved to the present site of Arsenal Technical High School. — Map (db m55548) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.1 — Crispus Attucks High School|
|Built 1927 to serve as the only public high school for Indianapolis’ black population. Integrated 1970 under court-ordered desegregation. Converted to junior high, 1986. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1989. Named for patriot of American Revolution. — Map (db m1847) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches|
|First Indiana State Meeting of the Christian Churches (Disciples of Christ) was held in Central Christian Church. Then on the South Side of Kentucky Avenue between Capitol and Senate Avenues, June 7-11, 1839This marker dedicated at the 125th anniversary state convention, April 2-5, 1964. — Map (db m4631) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1992.2 — Greek Orthodox Church|
|Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church of Indianapolis was located here at 231 North West Street from 1919-1959. The Church, incorporated 1910, now located at 4011 North Pennsylvania Street, has also preserved customs and language of extensive Greek community. — Map (db m4614) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Here, Abraham Lincoln Said|
|Here, Feb 11, 1861, Abraham Lincoln, on his way to Washington to assume the Presidency, in an address said “I appeal to you to constantly bear in mind that not with politicians, not with presidents, not with office-seekers, but with you is the question: Shall the Union and shall the liberties of this country be preserved to the latest generations?” — Map (db m3809) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2000.1 — Holy Rosary - Danish Church Historic District|
|Platted 1854; now bounded by South East Street, Virginia Avenue, and interstates 65/70. Early residents were Germans, Irish, Scots, and Welsh. Danes resided in area circa 1870–1890. By 1910, ninety percent of area residents were Italian immigrants.
Area became Indiana’s largest continuously occupied Italian neighborhood. Sicilians opened nearby produce businesses. District, containing mainly working-class cottages, includes Trinity Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church built 1872, . . . — Map (db m1839) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1966.1 — Home of Charles Warren Fairbanks|
|May 11, 1852 – June 4, 1918. Prominent lawyer of Indianapolis; Keynote convention speaker, 1896; United States Senator, 1897-1905; Vice-President of the United States, 1905-1909; and Vice-Presidential candidate in 1916. — Map (db m1849) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1997.1 — Indiana Federation of Colored Women’s Clubs|
|Organized 1904 by Lillian Thomas Fox with 14 clubs. Affiliated with National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs, founded 1896. Objectives include improvement of education, health, living standards, inter-racial understanding. Clubhouse at 2034 N. Capitol since 1927. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1987. — Map (db m1828) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1975.2 — Indianapolis Motor Speedway|
|Constructed in 1909, the Speedway has contributed significantly to the advancement of automotive technology and development of safety devices. It is unchallenged as the world's oldest continuously operated race course and the site of the largest one-day sports event anywhere. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and dedicated on the 59th running of the "500," May 25, 1975. — Map (db m228) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2011.1 — Isaac Blackford|
| Front Born 1786 in New Jersey; admitted to the bar 1810. Residing in Vincennes, Indiana Territory in 1815; later elected Speaker of the first state House of Representatives. In September 1817, Governor Jennings appointed Blackford to Indiana Supreme Court. He served 1817- 1852, publishing the Court’s decisions in his eight- volume, nationally acclaimed Reports of Cases. |
Blackford invested in Indiana land, including properties in new state capital, Indianapolis; . . . — Map (db m60668) HM
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2006.2 — John Freeman|
|In 1844, John Freeman, a free black, purchased land in Indianapolis. By 1853, he owned land in this area worth $6,000. In June 1853, a slaveholder claimed Freeman was his runaway slave. Freeman spent nine weeks in jail; he hired lawyers; claim was dismissed. Black citizens held public meeting August 29 at Masonic Hall to congratulate Freeman.
Under Fugitive Slave Law of 1850, seizure of free blacks and freedom seekers in the north was common.
The Underground Railroad refers to a . . . — Map (db m1833) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.2 — John Muir in Indianapolis|
| Side one
Born 1838 in Dunbar, Scotland, Muir moved to the U.S. with his family, settling in Wisconsin 1849. As a youth, he became interested in nature and mechanical inventions. He attended the University of Wisconsin and was consumed with an interest in botany. In 1866, he came to Indianapolis and worked at a carriage materials factory located here.|
Following a severe eye injury, Muir left Indianapolis September 1867 to begin extensive travels, which ended . . . — Map (db m46133) HM
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.2 — Joseph W. Summers Memorial Bridge|
|Built in 1917, this Neo-Classical, reinforced concrete arch bridge was designed by nationally prominent landscape architect, George Kessler. In 1991 the bridge was named in honor of State Representative Joseph Summers, who served with distinction as a bridge between diverse racial and cultural groups. — Map (db m1854) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1961.2 — Lincoln to the Citizens of Indiana|
|“. . . it is your business . . . if the Union of these States, and the liberties of this people, shall be lost. . . . It is your business to rise up and preserve the Union. . . .”
From speech by President-elect Abraham Lincoln at intersection of Washington and Missouri Streets, Indianapolis, February 11, 1861. — Map (db m564) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1998.2 — Lockerbie Square|
This historic neighborhood was originally platted in 1847 and 1850. Its name was derived from Lockerbie Street, which was named after George M. Lockerbie, an early Indianapolis resident. James Whitcomb Riley, who resided on Lockerbie Street 1893-1916, made it famous in an 1880 poem. Lockerbie was home to business leaders, skilled laborers, and craftsmen.
Lockerbie Square includes residential, commercial, religious, and educational structures built mainly circa . . . — Map (db m1826) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1990.1 — Macedonian Tribune|
|Original location of the Macedonian Tribune, 20 South West Street, from 1927-1949. Founded by immigrants from Macedonia as the voice of the Macedonian Patriotic Organization, the paper continues to be published in Fort Wayne, Indiana. — Map (db m566) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1999.3 — Market Street Temple|
|Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation (Reform) founded 1856 as state's fourth Jewish congregation. Its temple, first in the city, built here 1865-1868 to serve members in area's German Jewish neighborhood. As membership grew and moved northward, congregation built new temple at Delaware and Tenth streets 1899 and at 6501 North Meridian Street 1958.
Hungarian Jews were replacing German Jews in Market Street neighborhood in late 1800s. Hungarian Ohev Zedeck Congregation (founded 1884) purchased . . . — Map (db m537) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1968.1 — Milestones in Nursing|
|1859. Completion of the first building of the Indianapolis City Hospital, forerunner of Marion County General Hospital. Founder of this oldest general hospital in Indiana was Livingston Dunlap, M.D.
1861–1865. The first patients were admitted when the facility was opened as a Military Hospital by Governor Oliver P. Morton. Sister Athanasius Fogarty and other Sisters of Providence supplied the nursing care. John M. Kitchen, M.D., was chief medical officer. Henry M. Wishard, M.D., was . . . — Map (db m1851) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — Oliver Perry Morton — The Great War Governor|
| Plaque One
Born in Wayne Co. Indiana August 4, 1823.
Died in Indianapolis November 1, 1877.
Aged 54 years, 2month and 25 days.
Admitted to the Bar in 1847.
Served as Governor of Indiana from January
16, 1861 to March 4, 1867.
Served as U. S. Senator from Indiana from
March 4, 1867, until his death, November 1, 1877.
In all ways and at all times, the friend of
the Union . . . — Map (db m55573) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2007.2 — Ovid Butler, Sr.|
|(Front): Born 1801 in New York; moved to Indiana 1817. Admitted to bar 1825; became influential lawyer. Settled in Indianapolis 1836. His opposition to slavery on moral and religious grounds was reflected in his political affiliations and support of anti-slavery newspapers; his writings publicly condemned slavery and the Fugitive Slave Law of 1850. (Back): Butler wrote North Western Christian University charter 1849; founders wanted to provide "liberal and Christian education" . . . — Map (db m4644) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2005.1 — Robert F. Kennedy Speech on Death of Martin L. King|
|Here on the evening of April 4, 1968, Kennedy came to address a large crowd of mostly African Americans in his bid for Democratic Party nomination for president of U.S. Instead, visibly shaken, he gave an impromptu speech about the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. that day in Memphis, Tenn.
Kennedy urged the crowd to follow Rev. King’s lead and respond with understanding and prayer. Citing the need to avoid division, hatred, and violence, he called for love, wisdom, compassion, . . . — Map (db m236) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1946.1 — State Capitol|
|State capital was moved to Indianapolis, 1825, from Corydon. The capital built on this site in 1835 was razed in 1878 to make way for this State House, completed in 1888. — Map (db m63953) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1966.2 — The Central Canal|
|Part of a statewide canal system begun in the late 1830's. The Central was projected from Peru to Worthington via Marion and Martinsville. Twenty-four miles were completed in this region. Railroads soon replaced the canals. — Map (db m267) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — The Home of Caroline Scott Harrison|
|The home of Caroline Scott Harrison First President General National Society Daughters of the American Revolution 1890-1892 and Benjamin Harrison Twenty Third President of the United States Erected in 1871 Presented by Indiana Daughers of the American Revoution October 1959 — Map (db m4639) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1995.5 — The Old Northside|
|Vibrant historic district was home to many social, political, commercial, and industrial leaders of Indianapolis during the last half of nineteenth through early twentieth centuries. Revitalization of Old Northside is part of national historic preservation movement. Listed in National Register of Historic Places, 1978. — Map (db m4633) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.1961.3 — Toll House - Michigan Road|
|Operated by Augusta Gravel Road Co., circa 1866-1892. First major state road, built in the 1830's, from the Ohio River to Lake Michigan. — Map (db m563) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — USS Indianapolis CA-35|
| Panel 1
Named in honor of our Capitol City, the heavy cruiser USS Indianapolis keel was laid on 31 March 1930 and launched on 7 November 1931. She was accepted by the Navy and Commissioned on 15 November 1932. She was 610 feet 4 inches in length 66 feet 1 inch at the beam. Drawing 24 feet 10 inches of draft when fully manned and ready for sea. She boasted eight White-Forster boilers driving four Parsons geared turbines. Total rated horsepower was 107,000 delivered through four . . . — Map (db m55558) WM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2003.1 — Widows and Orphans Friends’ Society|
|Society created by Indianapolis Benevolent Society 1849 to provide relief for indigent widows and orphans; incorporated 1851 by Indiana General Assembly. Opened its first orphanage on this site 1855. White House Conference in 1909 focused attention on, and led to federal legislation and grants for, dependent children.
As public policy and funding evolved in the twentieth century, the Society changed its name, location, and specific functions as it strove to address the needs of children . . . — Map (db m1843) HM|
|Indiana (Marion County), Indianapolis — 49.2004.4 — Zerelda G. Wallace|
|(Front): Born August 6, 1817 in Kentucky and came to Indianapolis with her family in the early 1830s. Was a charter member of the Church of Christ (later Central Christian Church) 1833. Married David Wallace (later governor) 1836. Was first president of Woman's Christian Temperance Union in Indiana 1874 and member of the Equal Suffrage Society of Indianapolis. (Back): She spoke nationally on temperance and suffrage. On January 21, 1875, she testified before Indiana General . . . — Map (db m4629) HM|