|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-15 — Attack by Lee's Corps|
|Gen. Hood's move to checkmate the Federal foray at Jonesboro on the one remaining railroad entering Atlanta, resulted in two major engagements August 31 & September 1, 1864. Aug. 31. A concerted attack on the Fed. 15th A. C. between the town & Flint River westward, was made by Hardee's & S. D. Lee's corps [CS], the former advancing from below the town - the latter, in this sector, above it. Lee's three divisions, Anderson's, Clayton's, & Stevenson's, moved directly on the intrenched front of . . . — Map (db m18288) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-26 — Battle of Jonesboro The First Day|
|Aug. 31, 1864. This immediate area was occupied by the Army of the Tenn. [US], commanded by Gen. O. O. Howard. These troops, Logan’s 15th, Ransom’s 16th & Blair’s 17th corps, marched to this position from Fairburn the previous day; the 15th & 17th cast up intrenched lines on this side of Flint river, the 16th, W. of it. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS], moving from lines W. of the town, attacked 15th & 17th A. C. fronts while Hardee’s corps assailed the refused flank of the 15th & part of the 16th . . . — Map (db m18824) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-24 — Battle of Jonesboro The Second Day|
|Sept. 1, 1864. The area bounded by the McPeak house (N), the Warren house (S), the R. R. (E), & U.S. 41 (W), was the scene of the final pitched battle of the Atlanta Campaign (begun May 7, '64). Hardee’s A. C. [CS], posted in a salient angle at the Warren house, was attacked by Carlin's 1st, Morgan’s 2d, & Baird's 3d divs. of Davis’ 14th A. C. Moving S. E. from the Fayetteville Rd. (at Riverdale), they went into action at 5 P. M.; the battle ended with nightfall & withdrawal of Hardee’s . . . — Map (db m18185) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-27 — Battlefield Landmark|
|One of few natural landmarks of the battle fought here Aug. 31, 1864, is the deep gully S. of marker -- the bed of a small stream flowing W. to Flint River. N. of, & parallel to it, was the refused line of Harrow’s div. of the 15th, prolonged by Rice’s brigade (Corse’s div.), 16th A.C. [US] facing S. & extending W. to the river.
Cleburne’s, Maney’s & Bate’s divs., Hardee’s A.C. [CS] attacked the refused line from south of the gully, only to find it a fatal obstacle to a concerted . . . — Map (db m41702) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-7 — Clayton County|
|Clayton County was created by Act of Nov. 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties. It was named for Augustine Smith Clayton, born at Fredericksburg, Va., Nov. 27, 1783, who moved to Georgia before 1800. A graduate of the U. of Ga., he was a lawyer, legislator, judge. During two terms in Congress he opposed tariff and U.S. bank measures. He died in Athens, June 21, 1839. First officers of Clayton County, commissioned Jan. 13, 1859, were: Robert K. Holliday, Clk. Sup. Ct.; A.J. Hayes, Clk. Inf. . . . — Map (db m18956) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-14 — Diverted Attack|
|Aug. 31, 1864. The three divs. of Hardee’s A. C. [CS] Lowrey’s, Brown’s & Maney’s (under Gen. Cleburne), moved W. from Jonesboro to attack the flank of the intrenched Federal 15th A. C. 400 yds. N. This called for a wheel to the right (or N.) & was timed in concert with an assault by S. D. Lee’s A. C. on the Federals facing Jonesboro. Three of Lowrey’s brigades, diverted by finding Kilpatrick’s dismounted cav. [US] this side Flint River, not only drove it across but pursued it to the other . . . — Map (db m18294) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-9 — Gen. S. D. Lee's Corps|
|Aug. 31, 1864. Lee’s troops [CS] were withdrawn from Atlanta’s defense lines evening of the 30th when Hood learned that Federal forces, after wrecking the West Point R.R. to the S.W., were threatening the Macon R.R. at Jonesboro.
Lee’s troops, together with Hardee’s, began the march to Jonesboro long after dark; Hardee’s three divs. & Anderson’s of Lee’s A.C., left from East Point & Rough and Ready on the main rd.
Lee’s other two divs., Stevenson’s & Clayton’s went by Mt. Zion Ch. . . . — Map (db m50862) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-25 — Hardee’s Corps at Jonesboro|
|Sept. 1, 1864. The withdrawal of S. D. Lee’s A. C. toward Atlanta left Hardee facing the same Federal forces of the preceding day. To meet an attack on his rt., he shifted Cleburne’s & Carter’s divs. [CS] to an extended line forming a salient angle (north of the Warren house) with one from the east side of the railroad.
The attack by Davis’ 14th A. C. [US] at the salient drove Govan's brigade to a 2d position where the massed forces of Hardee withstood not only the 14th but Stanley’s . . . — Map (db m36755) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-10 — Hardee’s Detour|
|Aug. 31, 1864. The night march of Hardee’s A. C. (followed by Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s) [CS] from East Point & Rough and Ready to Jonesboro, was not without incident. About 3 A. M. the head of Brown’s column encountered Federal pickets at the bridge near John Chamber’s Mill. Rather than risk a night battle, the columns detoured on a field road eastward & entered Jonesboro on the Morrow’s Station road which parallels the R. R. This caused considerable delay; it was well into the forenoon . . . — Map (db m18175) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — Heritage Place — 1981|
|Historic Jonesboro, named in honor of Samuel Goode Jones in 1845, was founded in 1823 as Leaksville. Later Clayton County was created by the Act of November 30, 1858 from Fayette and Henry Counties, and Jonesboro became the County Seat. The town was rebuilt in 1864 after being razed by Sherman’s troops on their March to the Sea. Later the area was immortalized in Margaret Mitchell’s epic, “Gone With The Wind”. — Map (db m18815) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-13 — Lee's Corps Withdrawn|
|Aug. 31, 1864. When Gen. Hood in Atlanta heard that Federal forces had seized the railroad at Rough and Ready & suspecting an attack from that quarter, he ordered Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C. [CS] to move back toward Atlanta to support Stewart’s A. C. there. This order was issued before Hood learned that Hardee’s & Lee’s troops had been engaged with Howard’s forces [US] all that afternoon at Jonesboro. Sept. 1. Lee began his march at 2 A. M. on this road which joins the McDonough-Atlanta road six . . . — Map (db m18809) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-12 — March and Counter-march|
|Sept. 1, 1864. Gen. S. D. Lee’s A. C., withdrawn from Jonesboro after the battle Aug. 31, camped in this vicinity enroute northward via the McDonough Rd., to aid Stewart’s A. C. [CS] in Atlanta if attacked by Federals at East Point. Learning of Hardee’s defeat at Jonesboro the 31st, Hood abandoned Atlanta; Stewart & the militia moved out the McDonough Rd. night of Sept. 1.
Sept. 2. Lee, his march resumed, met Stewart & the militia coming southward -- the former to Lovejoy's -- the latter . . . — Map (db m36744) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-23 — Site of McPeak House|
|Cited in Official Records of military operations at Jonesboro, 1864; not the one standing in 1958, but one at rear on the old road of which the driveway is a remaining portion. Aug. 31, 1864, Hardee’s A. C. & Anderson’s div. of S. D. Lee’s, marched via this old rd. when they detoured from the Rough & Ready road to the one near the railroad, enroute to Jonesboro. This 3 A. M. detour was made to avoid Federal outposts at the bridge near Chamber’s Mill. This sector was occupied by Federal 14th . . . — Map (db m59426) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — The Johnson-Blalock House|
|Ante-Bellum home of James F. Johnson, attorney, planter, merchant, Confederate officer and noted political figure in mid-nineteenth century Georgia. Johnson introduced the legislation which created Clayton County in 1858 and the bill which incorporated the town of Jonesboro in 1859. Col. Johnson knew virtually all of Georgia's political leaders over a period of years and it is reasonable to assume that a number of distinguished Georgians were guests in the Johnson home. The house was acquired . . . — Map (db m18183) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-21 — The March to the Sea|
|On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W. T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive campaign for Savannah -- the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing marched east from Atlanta in two columns, to feint at Augusta but to turn southeast and converge on Milledgeville.
The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard, USA, marched south from White Hall (West End), the 15th Corps, Maj. . . . — Map (db m36812) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 031-3 — The Warren House|
| During the War Between the States, on this property to the north and west of this house was fought a major part of the Battle of Jonesboro, August 31st and September 1st,1864. The battle was a struggle to capture the railroad to cut off supplies to Atlanta from the south. This house, used as headquarters and a hospital during the battle by the 52nd Illinois Regiment, was built by G.L. Warren in 1840. For many years, a bullet lodged in the wall and cannonballs in the yard were evidence of the proximity of heavy fighting. — Map (db m12357) HM|
|Georgia (Clayton County), Jonesboro — 03-11 — Two Days of Battle at Jonesboro|
|In this vicinity were fought the engagements that ended the Atlanta Campaign of 1864. Confederate forces under Gen. Hardee, endeavoring to defend the remaining R.R. to Atlanta, against outnumbering Federal troops, Aug. 31 & Sept. 1 were forced to withdraw to Lovejoy's The area within the enclosure was a burial place of Confederate soldiers who died in local hospitals during the war. After its close, Confederate casualties (buried on the battlefields where they fell) were removed to this . . . — Map (db m12330) HM|