|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — Campbell Cemetery G.A.R. Memorial|
Erected by John Flinn Post No. 77 G.A.R. May 27, 1898. Was at the
Capture of Mobile, New Orleans and
Vicksburg. Weight 980 lbs. — Map (db m44261) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — First Complete Service of Christian Divine Worship|
|This bluff (commonly called "Grandad Bluff") was the site of the first complete service of Christian Divine Worship to be conducted in La Crosse. The Reverend Father James Lloyd Breck and his company of pioneer missionaries, on the morning of June Twenty-Third, the Fourth Sunday after Trinity, Eighteen Hundred Fifty, climbed to the top of the bluff and celebrated the Holy Eucharist in accordance with the book of common prayer.
This commemorative marker dedicated on the one hundred . . . — Map (db m16558) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — German Methodist Episcopal Churches — of Chipmunk Coulee|
|In the mid 1800's immigrants from Bohemia and Germany began to settle the Chipmunk Coulee area. Some of the early settlers were the Belling, Bendel, Hiekel, Herold, Kunerth, Lorenz, Meyer, Neumann, Paudler, Preidel, Ringel, Ritschel, Starch, Tietze and Werner families.
In 1862 a log cabin "mission church" was built and the cemetery was established. In 1875 a second church was built within the cemetery. In 1903 a third church was built on this site and services were held until about 1940. . . . — Map (db m9059) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — History of Flagpole — Grandad Bluff Flag|
In February 1941, during World War II, the Reserve Officers Association organized the population of the La Crosse area to erect a flagpole high atop Grandad Bluff - 600 feet above the city. Children in all public and parochial schools, as well as students attending Western Wisconsin Technical College and the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, donated their pennies, nickels, and dimes toward the project.
The original 65-foot flagpole stood over 40 years through World War II, the Korean . . . — Map (db m28830) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — Losey Memorial — Joseph W. Losey|
|He found this cemetery neglected and desolate. He transformed it into a place of charm and beauty. He made the wilderness to blossom as the rose.
To commemorate the character and virtues of one who endeared himself to all by an unbroken record of private charities and unselfish public services, this memorial is erected by citizens of La Crosse.
A.D. 1901 — Map (db m16461) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 296 — Major General C.C. Washburn|
|Cadwallader Colden Washburn was born in Maine in 1818. He settled in Mineral Point, Wisconsin, in 1839 and served in Congress before moving to La Crosse.
When the Civil War broke out, Washburn organized the Second Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry Regiment and became its colonel. Washburn's ability and political influence marked him for advancement. He served with distinction throughout the war. He commanded the Military District of Western Tennessee by 1865, and he was one of only two . . . — Map (db m15505) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — Original Home Built By Gottlieb and Johanna Heileman|
|This is the original Heileman family mansion. It was built on land purchased by Gottlieb Heileman in 1870.
As was the custom of the day, Heileman located the new home as closely as possible to the Brewery which he had founded.
The German craftsmen who had just completed work on the old Saint Joseph's Cathedral (which was at that time an ethnic German Parish) are said to have been employed in its building.
The architecture is similar to that of substantial homes which the . . . — Map (db m26173) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — Our Lady of Sorrows Chapel|
Our Lady of Sorrows
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
City of La Crosse
of Seven Dolors
1891 — Map (db m37179) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 68 — Red Cloud Park|
|This park, on the site of a Winnebago village, commemorates an heroic descendant of those people, Corporal Mitchell Red Cloud, Jr. Fighting in Korea in 1950 as a member of the 24th Army Division, Corporal Red Cloud bravely held off an enemy attack with machine gun fire until his death, thereby saving the lives of many of his comrades. Posthumously he was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Part of this area once was owned by "Buffalo Bill" Cody, famous frontier scout, and his friend . . . — Map (db m8534) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 242 — Spence Park|
|Because of the fertile soil and lush woodlands on the river shores, the Winnebago Indians settled in this area in 1772. Sixty years later they ceded these lands to the U.S. Government. In 1842, Nathan Myrick, the first white settler in La Crosse, built his log cabin and trading post on this site. It was designated a public boat landing in 1851.
This was the most strategic Mississippi River port on the western boundary of Wisconsin. Boats traveling north and south docked here, and wagons . . . — Map (db m8538) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 209 — The Coulee Region|
|Coulee is a term derived from the French verb "couler," meaning to flow. The area before you and in the entire coulee region of west central Wisconsin has been dissected by water erosion into a series of narrow ridges separated by steep-sided valleys called coulees. Fertile soils are farmed on the bottom and sides of coulees. The narrow ridges, often protected with woodlands, are capped by erosion resistant dolomite bedrock which commonly overlies sandstone. During formation of the coulees, . . . — Map (db m33420) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 264 — The Upper Mississippi|
|From Lake Itasca, Minnesota, to Cairo, Illinois, the upper Mississippi River flows through America's heartland for over 1100 miles. Its currents have borne the Indian's canoe, the explorer's dugout, and the trader's packet. Jacques Marquette, Louis Jolliet, and Zebulon Pike tested its strength. Mark Twain gave it life in literature. Paddle-wheelers by the hundreds ferried lesser-known passengers over its waters during the halcyon days of steamboating in the 19th century. Into the Great River . . . — Map (db m15594) HM|
|Wisconsin (La Crosse County), La Crosse — 267 — The Valley View Site|
|This is the location of a village occupied between 1000 and 1200 by the Oneota, ancestors of the Winnebago and Ioway. The village site was chosen by the Oneota to make the best use of the area for farming, fishing, hunting, transportation, and defense. The village was surrounded by a stockade and inhabited by 50 to 100 people. It was excavated in 1979 by archaeologists and students from the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse. — Map (db m15402) HM|