|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-160 — Centenary United Methodist Church|
|In 1801 there was a great revival of religion amoung the residents of the area. The growing appeal of the Methodist movement resulted in hundreds of new members for the church. A class was formed in the Laurel area, and in 1802 a church was constructed at this location. The church was formally incorporated as "Zion Meeting House" in 1809. After several decades of use, a new church was built on the site. It continued to serve the congregation until 1866, when a third church was constructed in . . . — Map (db m11816) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-145 — Christ United Methodist Church|
|In the fall of 1831, Reverend Thomas Pearson came to Laurel to assist with the establishment of a Methodist Protestant congregation in the community. With its founding, the church became one of the first of this denomination in Delaware. Early meetings were held in a schoolhouse. A church was constructed on West Street in 1832, and a cemetery established nearby. Desiring a new house of worship, the congregation purchased property on Wheat Street - not Central Avenue, in 1866. A two-story frame . . . — Map (db m4430) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-202 — Hope Lodge No. 4 — Grand Lodge of Delaware , A.F. & A.M.|
|On June 23, 1800, a charter was issued by the
Grand Lodge of Maryland for Lodge No. 31 in
“Laurel Town.” The first Worshipful Master of
the Lodge was Jesse Green (1766-1834). A Maryland
native who moved to Delaware in the 1790s, he
was a long-time member and leader of the General
Assembly who served as Adjutant General of the
State during the War of 1812. Green was the
presiding officer when representatives of four
Lodges gathered in Wilmington on June 6 and 7,
. . . — Map (db m60600) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — S-84 — Laurel|
|This site was originally part of a tract known as "Bachelor's Delight". From 1711 to 1768 it was included in a 3,000 acre Nanticoke Indian Reservation, authorized by an act of the Maryland Assembly. A village known as "Laurel" existed as early as 1799. Birthplace of Governor William H. H. Ross (elected 1850), and home to Governors Nathaniel Mitchell (elected 1804), William B. Cooper (elected 1840), Joshua H. Marvil (elected 1894), and Elbert N. Carvel (elected 1948 and 1960). The town's central . . . — Map (db m4423) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC- 150 — Mount Pleasant Methodist Church|
|The origin of this church can be traced to the
organization of a local society of Methodists in
1778. The first meetings of the group, then known
as the Broad Creek Society, were held in the
homes of its members. On October 19, 1779,
Methodist pioneer Francis Asbury formally
initiated the subscription of funds to build a
house of worship. Construction was completed
in 1781. This was one of the first Methodist
churches on the Delmarva Peninsula. Originally
known as Moore’s . . . — Map (db m60624) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-195 — Mount Zion United Methodist Church|
|This congregation was organized in 1809. Services were held in a structure that was first known as Elzey Moore's Meeting House, and later renamed Wesley Chapel. With the closing of Wesley in 1852, the congregation was divided. On January 8, 1853, members residing in this area obtained this site from William Wheatley. A frame building was then constructed and subsequently designated as Mount Zion Methodist Episcopal Church. The church was formally incorporated in 1881. Additional property on the . . . — Map (db m4539) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — S-68 — Nathaniel Mitchell — (1752-1813)|
|This Federalist served as the governor of Delaware between 1805-1808. He was born in Laurel in 1752, attended Old Christ Church, and is buried in this churchyard. Mitchell was commissioned as adjutant of militia 1775, promoted captain in 1776, and appointed brigade major in 1779. He was a delegate to the Continental Congress between 1786-1788 and was a member of Delaware's General Assembly between 1808-1812. — Map (db m39779) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Nathaniel Mitchell|
|Nathaniel Mitchell 1753-1813 First native son of Laurel to be
Governor of Delaware
Hero of the Revolution
1775-1781 Member Continental Congress 1786-1788.
Erected by Laurel Historical Society, Inc.
July 4, 1978. — Map (db m61107) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Old Christ Church|
|Established on Broad Creek in 1770 as a "Chapel of Ease" of Stepney Parish, Maryland on land purchased by a levy of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. Building completed by Robert Holston in 1772 at a cost of £510. — Map (db m39778) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — Pioneer of Preservation — Ted Harvey: Innovator for Preservation|
Tranquil waters trapped by a grist mill dam in the early nineteenth century made Trussum Pon a haven for the baldcypress. However, the trees now seen dotting the pond's surface are all that remain of a once extensive prehistoric wetland.
Deprived of the area's natural cycle of high and low waters, the baldcypres trees caught in the pond are visible only as strange hummocks of gnarled wood, sprouting woldflowers, shurbs, and ferns. Grading inland to a canopy of . . . — Map (db m4540) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-120 — St. Paul's United Methodist Church|
|In 1865 the Maryland Conference of the Methodist
Protestant Church established a “mission” or
charge circuit in southwestern Sussex County.
At the time local members of that faith were
holding meetings in Sharp’s school, a one room
school house located less that one half mile
from here. On August 21, 1868, the “Trustees
of the Missionary Society of the M.P. Church”
purchased land at this site from Thomas L.
Cannon, on which the church was constructed.
. . . — Map (db m61627) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-182 — The Wading Place|
|Here was Laurel's ancient "Wading Place", a ford for Native Americans and colonial settlers. Broad Creek crosses this fall in its flow to the Nanticoke River and Chesapeake Bay. For centuries, the Nanticoke Indians, an Algonquin people, lived in the Nanticoke Watershed, within which Broad Creek is an important tributary. Here were oak and cedar, marsh and creek, bass and perch, deer and wolves. Until 1775 this area was part of Maryland. In the 18th Century events here reflected pressures to the . . . — Map (db m11817) HM|
|Delaware (Sussex County), Laurel — SC-169 — Trinity Methodist Church|
|In 1865, Reverend Isaac Adkins of the
Methodist Protestant Church began to
conduct services in Dorothy School House.
The congregation was formally organized
the following year. Meetings continued
to be held in the school until 1873,
when adjoining property was obtained
and the present church was constructed.
Formally designated as Trinity M. P.
Church, it became part of a circuit
that once included Shiloh, St. Paul’s,
and Providence. The church was extensively
rebuilt in . . . — Map (db m61577) HM|