|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Bank of Italy Building|
|This granite faced building was designed in the Classic Renaissance Revival Style for the Bank of Italy in 1921. It later became the thirteenth branch of the Bank of America. From 1957-1978, this building served as Livermore's city hall.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places May 1978
Plaque designated by Livermore Heritage Preservation Commission July 1987 — Map (db m17878) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Carnegie Library — Built 1911|
|Livermore Public City Library
1911 to 1966
City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site
Dedicated July 1996
Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District
Nearby Rededication Plaque reads:
Andrew J. Carnegie Building
Beautified and rededicated in the
spirit of our American Revolution
July 4th 1977
Livermore Bicentennial Organization
L.A.R.P.D. and the citizens of Livermore — Map (db m17754) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — 641 — Concannon Vineyards|
|Here, in 1883, James Concannon founded the Concannon Vineyard. The quality it achieved in Sacramental and commercial wines helped establish Livermore Valley as one of America’s select wine growing districts. Grape cuttings from this vineyard were introduced to Mexico between 1889 and 1904 for the improvement of its commercial viticulture. — Map (db m31397) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — 586 — Cresta Blanca Winery|
|Here, Charles A. Wetmore planted his vineyard in 1882. The Cresta Blanca wine he made from its fruit won for California the first international award. The highest honor at the 1889 Paris Exposition. First bringing assurance to California wine growers that they could grow wines comparable to the finest in the world. — Map (db m52090) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — D. F. Bernal Building — Built Circa 1910|
|Constructed with bricks salvaged from the Livermore Brewery, built 1874, destroyed by fire 1908
City of Livermore Historic Preservation Landmark Site Dedicated July 1996 — Map (db m17870) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Duarte Garage — Built 1915|
Service Station and Car Dealership
Situated on the Original Route
of the Lincoln Highway
City of Livermore
Historic Preservation Site
Dedicated July 1996
The Livermore Heritage Guild — Map (db m19994) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — First Presbyterian Church Memorial Chapel — Built 1874|
|The First Presbyterian Church was the City's first Protestant church and an early significant religious institution of the City.
Commemorated by City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission
May 2007 — Map (db m17843) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Joaquin Murrieta and Murrieta's Well|
|The legend of Joaquin Murrieta is one of the most enduring and fascinating of chapters in California history. Facts, fiction and romantic tales entangle to create a legend of unique aura that had become part of California's folklore, especially in the Livermore Valley where Joaquin was a frequent visitor.
In the early 1850's Joaquin Murrieta roamed this land. Most famous as an avenging outlaw or a Robin Hood, Joaquin Murrieta and his men were above everything else horsemen, and of the best . . . — Map (db m17944) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory|
|The Laboratory opened September 2, 1952 at this site, initially as a branch of the University of California Radiation Laboratory. Prior to the Lab's opening, this 630-acre parcel was the site of Livermore Naval Air Station, a World War II pilot training facility.
Founded by Ernest O. Lawrence and Edward Teller, the Atomic Energy Commission opened the Laboratory to help maintain America's superiority in nuclear deterrence and ensure national security. Throughout its history, the Lab has . . . — Map (db m25251) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Flagpole|
|A flagpole has anchored this site since 1905. On July 4, 2005, the citizens of this community dedicated a new flagpole. Sixty feet of the original flagpole stand in nearby Carnegie Park. Both symbolize the strength of our nation and its people.
Commemorated by the City of Livermore Historic Preservation Commission
May 2008 — Map (db m17872) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Southern Pacific Depot|
|This railroad station having been located about half a mile west of the old town of Laddsville, on land owned by Wm. M. Mendenhall. Established the location of the town Livermore. The first depot was a freight car that was soon replaced by a building. In 1891 this building burned, and by August 1892 a combination passenger and freight depot was built.
Dedicated April 13, 1991
by Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13
E Clampus Vitus — Map (db m19993) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Livermore Town Hall Jail and Firehouse|
Built 1875, this building was first a hotel then the Livermore Valley Bank. It was the Livermore Town Hall from 1905 to 1957. The jail was in the rear, and to the left the firehouse. It was here a light bulb was lit and continues to burn to this day.
Joaquin Murrieta Chapter 13
E Clampus Vitus
October 5, 1985
Old City Hall
On this site:
Wooden Boarding House, c.1874
Bank of . . . — Map (db m19982) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Mills Square Flag Pole — Raised September 9, 1905|
|Made from one log, originally 126 feet in length. 18 inch diameter at base, 5,300 pounds
Shortened 14 feet in 1959
City of Livermore
Historic Preservation Landmark Site
Dedicated July 1998 — Map (db m17785) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — 241 — Robert Livermore — First Settler of Livermore Valley|
|Born in England 1799 – Died Rancho Las Positas 1858; Arrived in Monterey 1822. Married Josepa Hicutera y Puentas 1830. Settled on Rancho Las Positas 1835.
“Next to the Mission Padres, he was the first man to engage himself in the culture of grapes, fruit and grain.”
The Livermore Hacienda was a short distance north of this spot. — Map (db m31410) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Sister City Program|
“The Sister City Program is an important resource to the negotiations of
governments in letting the people themselves give expression of their common desire for friendship, goodwill and cooperation for a better world for all”
President Dwight D. Eisenhower (circa 1956)
On Monday, August 23, 1999, the City of Livermore’s City Council dedicated
Sister City Park as a gesture of friendship and goodwill to its sister cities.
“The flags from our sister cities . . . — Map (db m19970) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Tolliver Airship|
|Eight miles southwest of this location, in the Spring of 1904, Charles Tolliver built an airship.
With an aluminum superstructure covered with 6,000 yards of rongee silk, the craft was to be 250 feet long, 40 feet wide and 44 feet high. Four gasoline powered engines and six propellers - two on each side, one in the front, one rear. There was no need for rudders with this type of construction.
Mrs. Phoebe Hearst was the main financial backer, contributing 72,000 dollars to the project. . . . — Map (db m19968) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — Veteran's Memorial Building — Built 1931|
|Donated to Alameda County by Livermore Post, American Legion
City of Livermore Historic Preservation Heritage Site
Dedicated July 1996
Operated by Livermore Area Recreation and Park District — Map (db m17768) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — 957 — Wente Bros. Winery|
|Here the first Wente Vineyards of 47 acres was established by C.H. Wente in 1883. In 1935 his sons, Ernest and Herman, introduced California’s first varietal wine label, Sauvignon Blanc. The efforts of the Wente family have helped to establish the Livermore Valley as one of the premier wine-growing areas of California. In their centennial year, Wente Bros. is the oldest continuously operating, family-owned winery in California.
California Registered Historical Landmark No.957
Plaque . . . — Map (db m31408) HM|
|California (Alameda County), Livermore — William M. Mendenhall 1823 – 1911 / DeAnza Expedition Campsite|
| [Located at the Livermore Civic Center is a two-sided monument. Side 1 is a marker dedicated to William M. Mendenhall, founder of the town of Livermore. Side 2 is a marker marking this site as a campsite of the Juan Bautista de Anza Expedition of 1975 -76]
William M. Mendenhall
1823 – 1911
Pioneer settler, a descendant of Quakers who emigrated from England with William Penn. He crossed the plains on horseback in 1845. Was a member of Fremont’s . . . — Map (db m19981) HM|