|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 442nd Infantry World War II Memorial — Korean War Dead 1950 to '53 — Japanese-American Soldiers|
| Plaque mounted at the base of the obelisk
In Sacred Memory
This memorial is reverently placed here be the Japanese American Community, under the auspices of the Southern California Burial and Memorial Committee, in memory of American soldiers of Japanese ancestry who fought, suffered, and died in World War II that liberty, justice, and equal opportunity in the pursuit of happiness might come to all democratic and peace-loving people everywhere regardless of race, creed, color or . . . — Map (db m63533) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Angel’s Flight|
|Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 feet.
It is estimated that Angel's Flight has carried more passengers per mile than any other railway in the world, over a hundred million in its first fifty years. This incline railway is a public utility operating under a franchise granted by the city of . . . — Map (db m32455) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Apex / Club Alabam — Historic Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 42nd St. [sic] and Central Av.|
| Curtis Mosby, the conductor of the Dixieland Blue Blowers, opened the Apex on Thanksgiving 1928. The classy nightclub was home to revues featuring beautiful showgirls in extravagant costumes. Johnny Otis led the house band, but Alabam was the most popular stage for known jazz musicians who were on Central Avenue. — Map (db m51175) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Avila Adobe|
|This is the oldest existing house in Los Angeles. Built about 1818 by Don Francisco Avila, it was occupied briefly as American headquarters in 1847. Severely damaged in the earthquake of 1971, the house is now restored as an example of California life style of the 1840's. La casa mas antigua en existencia en Los Angeles. — Map (db m50943) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 656 — Bella Union Hotel Site|
|Near this spot stood the Bella Union Hotel, long a social and political center. Here, on October 7, 1858, the first Butterfield Overland Mail stage from the East arrived 21 days after leaving St. Louis. Warren Hall was the driver, and Waterman Ormsby, a reporter, the only through passenger. — Map (db m59812) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Biscailuz Building — 1925-26|
|This building, located on the site of the Juan Sepulveda adobe, was designed as the United Methodist Church Conference Headquarters and the Plaza Community Center. Today it serves as the Consulate-General of Mexico. In 1968, the building was re-named after Eugene Biscailuz, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff, who had helped Christine Sterling in her struggle to save this historic section of Los Angeles. In 1979, Leo Politi painted a mural on the south and east faces that depicts the Blessing . . . — Map (db m54751) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Chester Stock, Ph.D. - Observation Pit — Hancock Park — Rancho La Brea|
| Panel 1: Chester Stock, Ph.D. January 28, 1892 - December 7, 1950 Paleontalogist
Chief curator of science - Los Angeles County Museum Chairman of the Division of Geological Sciences California Institute of Technology who, encouraged by the foresight and generosity of G. Allan Hancock, inspired his many co-workers in developing and preserving the treasures of Rancho La Brea Presented by the Los Angeles County Museum Association. Panel 2: Observation Pit . . . — Map (db m51436) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Damien Marchessault|
|This street is named for Damien Marchessault, a French Canadian, who served twice as mayor of Los Angeles - from 1859-1860 and again from 1861-1865. During his terms in office, the Plaza Church was rebuilt and the City Gas Company was organized. Marchessault and a partner, Jean Louis Sainsevain, worked to provide water for Los Angeles through a system of hollow log pipes.
As Mayor, Marchessault supported a proposal to split California into two states, but this was not approved by the . . . — Map (db m54748) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Eagle Squadrons|
|In September 1940, during the Battle of Britain, there was formed in Yorkshire a Royal Air Force Squadron manned by American volunteers. This was 71 (Eagle) Squadron, joined in 1941 by 121 (Eagle) and 133 (Eagle) squadrons.
244 American and 16 British pilots were posted and these units participated in action against the German foe from across the English Channel until September of 1942, at which time they were handed over to the United States Army Air Force.
During service with the . . . — Map (db m51500) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Father Junipero Serra 1713-1784|
Upper marker - English
Born on the island of Majorca, off the coast of Spain, Father Serra was ordained in Palma where he taught for fifteen years before being sent to Mexico as a missionary in 1749. In 1769 he became Padre Presidente of the Franciscan missions in Baja California. That same year he accompanied Gaspar de Portola on a colonization expedition to San Diego where he founded the first of the nine missions he established in Alta California. Despite an injured leg and . . . — Map (db m54556) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Mayor of Los Angeles Under United States Rule — Los Pobladores — The Founders of the City of Los Angeles|
|The Founders of the City of Los Angeles: Vanegas, Quintero, Rodriguez, Villavicencio, Navarro, Rosas, Camero, Rosas, Moreno, Mesa,
Before 1850, the chief executive of the pueblo was the alcalde, who sat on the ayuntamiento (council) and served as both mayor and judge. The office of the Mayor and the Common Council were established when the city was incorporated in 1850. Alpheus P. Hodges, a physician, was elected the first Mayor of Los Angeles, serving from 1850-51. He . . . — Map (db m55296) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Fort Moore — Pioneer Memorial and Park|
|On this site stood
Fort Moore built by the
Morman Battalion during
the War with Mexico
This memorial honors the troops who helped to win the South West.
The Flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th 1847
by United States Troops at the First Independence Celebration in Los Angeles.
The United States 1st Dragons who fought at San Pasqual.
The New York Volunteers who came by sea.
The Mormon Battalion which made one of the . . . — Map (db m52461) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 247 — Hancock Park — La Brea Pits|
The Citizens of Los Angeles County
In December 1916 by
Captain Allan Hancock
With a request that the scientific
features be preserved
First historic reference to the tar pools
Recorded in the diary of Caspar dePortola'
In August 3, 1769
Originally a portion of the Rancho LaBrea
Granted by Governor Alvarado 1840 — Map (db m59013) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Headquarters of Commander Robert Field Stockton — Avila Adobe|
Com. Robert Field Stockton
January 1847 — Map (db m51245) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 535 — Hollywoodland's Granite Retaining Walls and Interconnecting Granite Stairs|
Retaining Walls and
Built 1923 Declared 1991
Historic-Cultural Monument No. 535 — Map (db m31537) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — In Honor|
| Homage to Our Mexican-American Heroes
Veterans of America's Wars.
Covered with glory, their ideals of service provide power to America, for peace and for human dignity. Long live America during this time of such power.
Homenaje a nuestros heroes Mexicano-Americanos veteranos de las guerras de Los Estados Unidos de America para la paz y dignidad humana. Viva America durante el tiempo de tal poder! — Map (db m54554) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — James Dean — 1931 - 1955|
|Key scenes from the
classic motion picture "Rebel Without a Cause"
were filmed at the Griffith Observatory
in Spring 1955. Although many movies
have been filmed at Griffith Observatory,
"Rebel Without a Cause"was the first to
portray the Observatory as what it is and to contribute positively to the
Observatory's International reputation.
This monument acknowledges Griffith Observatory's long and continuous
involvement with Hollywood film
production by remembering the young
star of . . . — Map (db m20240) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Jones Building — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|Doria Deighton Jones was the widow of wealthy industrial John Jones who died in 1876. The Jones family formerly lived in a large adobe home which was torn down in 1886 when Bath Street was widened and made an extension of Main Street. Doria had at first planned to build a hotel on the three lots where the adobe stood, but instead, because the area was changing from residential to industrial usage, she constructed a flat-roofed one-story building divided into five separate machine shops. . . . — Map (db m64218) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Latino Blood, American Hearts|
|This site is dedicated to the Latino-American Heroes who received the Congressional Medal of Honor, our nation's highest award for bravery. For love of country, they performed above and beyond the call of duty.
Heroes y compatriotas, con orgullo y honor los saluda nuestro pueblo!
Heroes and countrymen, greet our people with pride and honor!
To all Medal of Honor Recipients
Courage and Gallantry graced their deeds and their guide . . . — Map (db m54732) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Los Angeles Plaza|
|This site was part of the lands originally granted to El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles in 1781 by the King of Spain, Carlos III, under the Spanish Law of the Indies. The first plaza of the pueblo had been located to the southeast, closer to the Rio Porciuncula (Los Angeles River). When the river flooded, the pueblo was moved to higher ground. Shortly after the dedication of the Plaza Church in December 1822, the plaza's location was changed again to the present site. — Map (db m50945) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal — 1939-1989|
|Constructed by the Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and Union Pacific Railroads, opened on May 7, 1939. It was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire west.
In it's heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, employed 1,100 persons, served 56 trains per day, and handled 23 million sacks of mail annually.
Through the portals of this historic edifice have passed the great and the near-great of the world. — Map (db m54551) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Machine Shop — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Machine Shop is a one-and-a-half story building that was built on Main Street around 1910. It is located on the site of what is believed to have been the stables of Doria Deighton Jones' adobe home which was torn down in 1886, and was built by her daughter, Constance Jones Simpson. The first tenants of the building were engaged in such industries as tinsmithing, electroplating, metal patterning and machining.
With the advent of the Mexican market place on Olvera Street in 1930, the . . . — Map (db m64220) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Main Street — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|Main Street is one of the oldest streets in Los Angeles. Originally called by its Spanish name, Calle Principal, it was included in the first survey map of Los Angeles, drawn by Lt. E. O. C. Ord in 1849. The street ran from south of First Street to the north side of the Plaza. In 1883 the City Council passed an ordinance declaring that Bath Street would be widened to become an extension of Main Street. The work was carried out in 1886. In 1890 the portion of Main Street that ran from . . . — Map (db m64219) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced Theatre — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by William Abbot, the son of Swiss immigrants who settled in Los Angeles in 1854. In 1858, he married the woman for whom he would name the theatre, Maria Merced Garcia, the daughter of Jose Antonio Garcia and Maria Guadalupe Uribe, who were long-time . . . — Map (db m50952) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 144 — Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles — Our Lady Queen of Angels|
|This tablet commemorates the
one hundredth anniversary
of the erection of this church
Our Lady Queen of Angeles.
Built in 1814 by the Franciscan
Fathers, restored and enlarged in 1912
Right Reverend Thomas James Conaty
being Bishop of
Monterey and Los Angeles. — Map (db m50935) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico House — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. Pico chose architect Ezra F. Kysor to design the "finest hotel in Los Angeles." To raise funds for the building and furnishing of the hotel, Pio and his brother Andres sold most of their vast landholdings in the San Fernando Valley. Construction began . . . — Map (db m50949) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 730 — Plaza Fire House|
|Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department - past, present and future - who, since 1871, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire. — Map (db m51301) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 655 — Portola Trail|
|Spanish colonization of California began in 1769 with the expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera v Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sgt. José Francisco Ortega, and Fathers Juan Crespí and Francisco Gómez, he and his party camped near this spot on August 2, 1769, en route to Monterey. — Map (db m59292) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby — 1628 Vine Street — #22|
|The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. celebrities popularity was gauged by the number of phone pages they received. Clark Gable proposed to Carole Lombard here in booth 54. Caricatures of movie stars decorated the walls. Damaged by fire and later by earthquake, it was demolished in 1994. — Map (db m17517) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 567 — St. Vincent's Place|
|This was the site of Saint Vincent's College from 1868 to 1887. The college, now Loyola University, was founded by the Vincentian Fathers in 1865 and was the first institution of higher learning in Southern California. — Map (db m62897) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Downbeat Club — Historic Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 4201 Central Avenue|
| The Down Beat was part of what was known during the War years as “Little Harlem”. It was a popular destination for Hollywood celebrities and the upper-class residents of Beverly Hills. Buddy Collete created his Stars of Swing in 1946 at the Down Beat. The show featured Collette on saxophone and clarinet, Charles Mingus (bass), John Anderson (trumpet), Oscar Bradley (drums), Spaulding Givens (piano), Lucky Thompson (tenor saxophone), and Britt Woodman (trombone). — Map (db m51234) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Indians of Southern California|
|This plaque and garden are dedicated to the memory of the first peoples who lived in what is now the County of Los Angeles. Some of the earliest Indians were members of the Uto Aztecan linguistic family or were descended from the Shoshone Tribe. They lived in villages close to the ocean or to rivers and streams.
The Indians had dishes of soapstone and steatite and simple tools such as scraping stones and fish hooks, and they made excellent baskets. Their houses were of a circular shape . . . — Map (db m54552) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Old Spanish Trail — El Antiguo Camino Español — 1829 - 1848|
|This plaque marks the end of the Old Spanish Trail, an historic pack trail from Santa Fe to the Pueblo of Los Angeles. This trail was used by Mexican traders who brought woolen goods from New Mexico to trade for highly prized California mules and horses, and by emigrants to California. The trail originated as a trade route between New Mexico and Utah during the Spanish colonial era and then extended west to California during the Mexican period.
Esta . . . — Map (db m54874) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — William Mulholland — 1855 - 1935|
|A penniless Irish immigrant boy who rose by the force of his industry, intelligence, integrity and intrepidity to be a sturdy American citizen, a self-educated engineering genius, a whole-hearted humanitarian, the father of the city's water system, and the builder of the Los Angeles City Aqueduct:
This memorial is gratefully dedicated by those who are the recipients of his unselfish bounty and the beneficiaries of his prophetic vision. — Map (db m32188) HM|