|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-10 — Alfred Holt Colquitt|
|Governor of Georgia (1877-1882), U.S. Congressman (1853-1855), U.S. Senator (1883-1894), Major U.S. Army in the Mexican War, Brigadier-General in the Confederate Army, Alfred Holt Colquitt is buried here. Born in Walton County, Georgia, April 20, 1824, he died in Washington, D.C., March 26, 1894. In the Confederate Army he served first as Colonel of the famous 6th Ga. Regiment of Infantry. On September 1, 1862, he was appointed Brigadier-General.
Until May 1863 he was commander of . . . — Map (db m25393) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-3 — Ballard-Hudson Senior High School|
|Ballard-Hudson Senior High School was built in 1949 as the only high school in Macon for African Americans in grades nine through twelve. The school
represents the merger of two schools: Ballard High School, a private school with roots in Lewis High School, established in 1868 by the American Missionary
Association, and Hudson High School, a public industrial high school. In 1970,the same year a federal court required the integration of all public schools in Georgia, Ballard-Hudson Senior . . . — Map (db m38198) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Ballard-Hudson Senior High School — 1070 Anthony Road — 1949-1970|
|This marker represents the establishment of a comprehensive high school for black people in Macon-Bibb County. The name is a merger of the Ballard High School and the Hudson High School. This public high school was supported by the Bibb County Board of Education and accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. The curriculum included academic, vocational and commercial studies in grades nine through twelve. The Federal Court ordered desegregation of school in Macon-Bibb . . . — Map (db m61189) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-5 — Battles of Dunlap Farm — <-----<<<|
|On July 30, 1864, Gen. Stoneman with 2,500 cavalry crossed Walnut Creek & placed his cannon on a ridge on the Dunlap farm. He attacked Macon to capture the gold in the Confederate Depository; to destroy the Armory, Arsenal & Laboratories, the bridges & railroads; and to free the prisoners at Camp Oglethorpe & later at Andersonville. He was unsuccessful, being forced to retreat by forces under Gens. Howell Cobb and Joseph E. Johnston. These forces comprised 1,000 State Militia, 600 Tennesseans, . . . — Map (db m44593) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-9 — Bibb County|
|Bibb County was created by Act of Dec. 9, 1822 from Houston, Jones, Monroe and Twiggs Counties. It was named for Dr. William Wyatt Bibb (1781-1820) of Elbert County. Dr. Bibb, physician, legislator, Congressman, Senator, was appointed Governor of the Territory of Alabama by Pres. Madison and was the first elective Governor of the State of Alabama. First officers of Bibb County, commissioned Feb. 12, 1823, were: Nicholas W. Wells, Clerk of Superior Court; James Flewellen, Clerk of Inferior . . . — Map (db m44892) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-6 — Birthplace of Sidney Lanier|
|Sidney Lanier, poet, linguist, musician, mathematician & lawyer, was born in this cottage, Feb. 3, 1842. He graduated from Oglethorpe Univ. then at Milledgeville, served as a private in the Confederate Army and was captured while commanding a blockade runner. Lanier was married in 1867 to Mary Day of Macon where he practiced law with his father. Moving to Maryland he lectured at Johns Hopkins while carrying on his writing. He died at Lynn, N.C. Sept 7, 1881. Among his best known works are "The Marshes of Glynn" & "Song of the Chattahoochee". — Map (db m664) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-21 — Camp Wheeler|
|Camp Wheeler was an army training camp during 1917-19 and 1940-46. It was named for Joseph Wheeler (1836-1906), Confederate Lt. Gen. who was born in Augusta, Ga. The tent camp was established in 1917 after efforts of local businessmen brought Gen. Leonard Wood to Macon to inspect proposed sites. The 21,480 acre site chosen included Holly Bluff, the home of writer Harry Stillwell Edwards and formerly the plantation of Col. Andrew Jackson Lane, C.S.A., father of Mrs. Edwards. Major General F.J. . . . — Map (db m12415) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-2 — Central City College/Georgia Baptist College|
|Founded in October 1899 by the Reverend E. K. Love under the auspices of the Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia, Central City College served as a co-educational institution of learning for African-American students at both the high school and college levels. The College represented a pioneering effort at African-American education during the Jim Crow era. Beset by financial woes, Central City College lost its property to foreclosure in 1937 to white businessman and philanthropist James H. . . . — Map (db m23065) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-19 — Christ Church — Episcopal|
|The Reverend Lot Jones, while on a missionary tour of Georgia, founded Christ Episcopal Church on March 5, 1825. It was the first congregation organized in Macon. On December 26, 1826, the Georgia General Assembly enacted, “that Christopher B. Strong, Edward D. Tracy, Albert G. Clopton, Addison Mandell and Reuben Burroughs are hereby declared to be a body corporate, by the name and style of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the town of Macon and the County of Bibb.” Under the . . . — Map (db m49579) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-2 — City Hall & Old Capitol|
|The Macon City Hall, built in 1837 for the Monroe Railroad & Banking Co. and since remodeled, served from Nov. 18, 1864 till March 11, 1865 as temporary Capitol of Ga. Here Gov. Brown had his office and convened the last session of the Ga. legislature under the Confederacy. Here the March session of the Supreme Court was held in 1865. The building was also used as a military hospital from the battle of Chickamauga in 1863 until the close of the war. A picket on guard at the portico was shot . . . — Map (db m60529) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-7 — Colonial Trading Path|
|Colonial Trading Path or “Lower Path” joined the heart of the Creek Nation on the Chattahoochee River to the English Trading Post in Ocmulgee Old Fields, now Ocmulgee National Monument. Here the chief towns of the ancient Creek Confederacy stretched fifteen miles on the east side of the Ocmulgee River. This path was originally the old Sand Hill Path, across west Georgia from the Chattahoochee River, across the Flint River, and across the Ocmulgee River, eastward. The Indians . . . — Map (db m49624) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-8 — Confederate Memorial Day in Macon|
|On Thursday, April 26, 1866, the graves of Confederate soldiers in Rose Hill Cemetery and in the cemetery at 7th and Cherry Streets were decorated with flowers by the members of the Ladies’ Memorial Association, organized in March 1866 with Mrs. Thomas Hardeman, Jr. (Jane Lumsden), the first president. The women were assisted by 56 young men with hoes, rakes and spades, and children with flowers.
The Memorial Day addresses were delivered by the Rev. David Wills at Rose Hill and by the . . . — Map (db m37572) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-24 — Confederate States Central Laboratory|
|Approximately 100 feet south of the this point stood the Confederate States Central Laboratory. Erected between 1862 and 1865, this laboratory-factory complex spread over 145 acres purchased December 2, 1862. It was intended as permanent facility and center
of Confederate States Ordinance testing and production. Its main building was a two storied brick and granite structure 600 feet long. Superintendent of all C.S. Laboratories Lt. Col. John W. Mallet selected this site and had his . . . — Map (db m12290) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-22 — De Soto in Georgia|
|In May 1539 Hernando De Soto landed in Florida with over 600 people, 220 horses and mules, and a herd reserved for famine. Fired by his success in
Pizarro's conquest of Peru, De Soto had been granted the rights, by the King of Spain, to explore, then govern, southeastern North America.
After wintering in Tallahassee, the de Soto expedition set out on a quest for gold which eventually spanned four years and crossed portions of nine states. This was the first recorded European exploration . . . — Map (db m27272) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-11 — First Public Camellia Show|
|After a revival of interest in camellias, the first public Camellia Show in the U.S. was held Feb. 5, 1932 at Burden-Smith & Co. At the suggestion of Henry T. Conner, immediately after the show, the Azalea and Camellia Soc. of America, forerunner of the American Camellia Soc., was formed with 48 charter members. Maconites serving as officers -- all of whom, with the Vineville Garden Club, directed the show -- were T. J. Stewart, James H. Porter. Dr. W. G. Lee, Henry T. Conner. J. G. Bailie of . . . — Map (db m49669) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-5 — Fort Hawkins|
|Fort Hawkins was established at this site in 1806 on the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River at the border of the Muskogee Creek Nation. The location was chosen by the fort’s namesake, Benjamin Hawkins, who served as the U.S. Agent for Indian Affairs South of the Ohio River from 1796-1816. Located along the old Federal Road linking the Georgia interior to ports at Mobile and New Orleans, the fort served as a military supply point and a frontier trading post. The fort was decommissioned in 1828 . . . — Map (db m59564) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Freemasonry in Macon|
|Freemasonry came to Macon in 1824 when the city was in its infancy. Macon Lodge No. 5, F. &A.M., was organized in 1824 and chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia in 1825. Historians have referred to Macon lodge as being the “First society in the town of Macon.” In 1846 the Grand Lodge of Georgia, F. &A.M., moved its seat from Milledgeville to Macon and for many years held its annual communications in the hall of Macon Lodge No. 5.
Dr. Ambrose Baber, M.D., a physician and . . . — Map (db m54733) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe|
|In Ocmulgee Fields camped Gen. James Edward Oglethorpe and his men on their way to Coweta Town for the purpose of making the treaty with the Creek Confederacy in 1739 — Map (db m59596) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-20 — General Edward Dorr Tracy, Jr. — -- 1833 – 1863 –-|
|Edward D. Tracy, Jr., was born in Macon, Georgia, on Nov. 5, 1833. His father served as Macon’s second Mayor (1826-1828), a Judge of Superior Court, and hosted General Lafayette during his visit to Macon in 1825. The younger Tracy graduated from the University of Georgia in 1851, studied law, and was admitted to the bar in 1853. He was a member and deacon of First Presbyterian Church, and Macon Lodge No. 5, F.&A.M. In 1857, Tracy moved to Huntsville, Alabama. He was a Delegate to the 1860 . . . — Map (db m25388) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — In Memory of J. Wilson Parker|
|In Memory of J. Wilson Parker
June 26, 1895 ------ July 27, 1966
Grand Master 1940
Chairman of the Board of Trustees, Masonic Home of Georgia, 1946-1966
Raised in Fairburn Lodge No. 180, F. & A. M., 1920; Worshipful Master 1923 and 1943; High Priest, Fairburn Chapter No. 24, R. A. M., 1926; Illustrious Master, Fairburn Council No 45, R. & S. M., 1926; Eminent Commander, Constantine Commandery No. 26, 1939, E. Grand Captain General, Grand Commandery; Past Sovereign Red Cross of . . . — Map (db m49146) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — In Memory of Max Meyerhardt — October 18, 1855 – March 2, 1923 — Founder of the Masonic Home of Georgia|
|Worshipful Master of Cherokee Lodge No. 66, F. & A. M., Rome, 1885-1923; Worshipful Master of the Seventh District Masonic Convention, 1897-1923; Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Georgia 1900-1907; High Priest Rome Chapter No. 26, R.A.M; 1893-1896; thrice Illustrious Master of Rome Council No. 15, R. & S. M.; Grand Master, Grand Council, 1917; 32° Scottish Rite Mason; Shriner.
Eminent Lawyer – Eloquent Orator – Distinguished Scholar – Defender of the Helpless – . . . — Map (db m49193) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-16 — Jefferson Davis at the Lanier House|
|On May 4, 1865, Jefferson Davis arrived in Washington, Georgia (100 miles NE), where he performed what proved to be his last duties as President of the Confederate States of America. Shortly thereafter, with a small staff and escort, he departed enroute to the trans-Mississippi Department where, supported by those Confederate forces not yet surrendered, he hoped to negotiate a just peace.
After a difficult journey via Sandersville, Dublin and Abbeville, he camped a mile north of Irwinville . . . — Map (db m25409) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — John Basil Lamar|
|Col. John Basil Lamer, aide-de-camp of General Howell Cobb, his brother-in-law and close friend, was mortally wounded on September 14, 1862 while vainly trying to rally Cobb’s Brigade at Crampton’s Gap, Maryland. After temporary burial in Charles Town, Virginia, he was later reinterred here at Rose Hill. His adult life was identified with Macon, where he settled in 1830. He resided on Walnut Street in the Abner house, known as “The Bear’s Den”. He was master of a great cotton . . . — Map (db m25121) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-4 — Judge Asa Holt House|
|This house, built in 1853 by Judge Asa Holt, was struck by a cannon ball from Gen. Stoneman´s guns in East Macon during the Battle of Dunlap´s Hill. July 30, 1864, when the Union army tried unsuccessfully to take Macon. The ball, now in the possession of the Macon Volunteers, struck the sand sidewalk, passed through the second column from the left, entered the parlor over a window and landed unexploded in the hall. Its course may may be traced by the mended column, a patch in the parlor . . . — Map (db m23376) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — M. W. Grand Lodge of Georgia — Free and Accepted Masons|
|The first Masonic meeting in Georgia was held in 1734 at the town of Sunbury in what is now Liberty County, with General James Edward Oglethorpe serving as Worshipful Master. This was just seventeen years after the formation of the Grand Lodge of England, on February 21, 1734. “The Lodge at Savannah in ye Province of Georgia,” which is now Solomon’s Lodge No. 1, was organized with General Oglethorpe as the first Worshipful Master. The Grand Lodge of Georgia was organized in 1735 by . . . — Map (db m49663) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Macon History — 1839 - 1910|
|The Reform Medical College of Georgia, Middle Georgia’s first medical school was founded in Forsyth, in 1839. The School moved to Macon in 1845 and remained here for 50 years before moving to Atlanta. Scores of physicians received their medical education at the Reform Medical College including Georgia’s first female physician, Cassandra Pickett Durham in 1870.
C. Jack Ellis, Mayor
City of Macon
Anita Ponder, President
Macon City Council — Map (db m54940) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Medal of Honor|
|Medal of Honor — Map (db m53214) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-18 — Mercer University|
|Founded in Pensfield, Georgia, January 14, 1833, as Mercer Institute, Mercer University, the “oldest child” of the Georgia Baptist Convention, has been the chief source of Baptist ministerial and lay leaders through the years. Among the many notable Baptists who established this institution, three stand out: Josiah Penfield, whose legacy launched the movement; Jesse Mercer, who nurtured and supported the project; Billington M. Sanders, who, which Cynthia Holiday Sanders (Old Miss), . . . — Map (db m44946) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-23 — Mulberry Street Methodist Church|
|This church, organized in 1826, is on land deeded to it by the Georgia Legislature in the same year. In 1828, the first church building in Macon was erected on this site. The first appointed pastor was Thomas Darley, who had been ordained by Bishop Francis Asbury.
Because the Georgia Conference was organized on this site in 1831 the church is known as the Mother Church of Georgia Methodism. Originally known as the Macon Church, the name was changed in 1847, to Mulberry Street Church. . . . — Map (db m29210) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Post 3 Macon|
|We of the American Legion honor those men who lost their lives in the Viet-Nam Conflict Aug. 5, 1964 to Aug. 15, 1973 from Bibb County, GA.
* ARMY * *MARINES* *AIR FORCE*
Baker, J. W.
Betleyoun, G. C.
Cannady, W. M.
Cochran, W. S.
Dixon, C. L.
Felts, E. Jr.
Fields, W. S.
Fouche, P. J.
Furney, W. L.
Green. S. N.
Hardison, A. C.
Haze, H. . . . — Map (db m53432) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-12 — Site: Wesleyan College — World’s First College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women|
|On December 23, 1836, the Legislature of the State of Georgia chartered The Georgia Female College. The first class graduated July 26, 1840. In 1843, the name was changed to Wesleyan Female College; in 1919 to Wesleyan College.
The oldest sororities in the world were founded at Wesleyan: The Adelphean Society, now Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, 1851, and the Philomathean Society, now Phi Mu Fraternity, 1852. The world’s first alumnae association for a women’s college was organized at Wesleyan . . . — Map (db m54616) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-4 — St. Joseph's Catholic Church|
|The history of Roman Catholicism in Macon dates to a visit in 1829 by Bishop John England of the Diocese of Charleston and the subsequent migration of Irish Catholic families in the 1830s. In 1841 Macon's Catholics received their first pastor, Father James Graham. A succession of buildings and sites was purchased and used by Macon's Catholics during the nineteenth century, until the construction of St. Joseph's Catholic Church at this location from 1889-1903. This Gothic Revival structure, . . . — Map (db m22189) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-6 — St. Peter Claver Catholic Church and School|
|This African-American parish began in 1888 and was named St. Peter Claver in 1903, in honor of the Patron Saint of Negro Missions. The current school, convent, and rectory were built here after the parish moved from Pio Nono Avenue in 1913. The church was built in 1928. This was one of two campuses in Georgia funded by Mother Katherine Drexel (later canonized Saint Katherine Drexel), staffed by her Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament (SBS), and built by Father Ignatius Lissner and the Society of . . . — Map (db m25123) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-3 — The Dunlap House — >>>—→|
|The only battles fought at Macon took place here. Twice the Federals attacked Macon, emplanting their cannon on this farm, and twice they were repulsed. In the first attack under Gen. Stoneman on July 30, 1864, they shelled Macon from 10 A.M. until the late afternoon. “The residence of Mrs. Dunlap was occupied by the Federals who tore down her stabling and erected a temporary entrenchment across her yard.” The second attack was made Nov. 20, 1864 by General Kilpatrick who also crossed Walnut Creek and attacked from the same point. — Map (db m44995) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 11-1 — The First Baptist Church of Christ — at Macon|
|This church was founded in 1826 as the city’s first Baptist congregation. It was first located at the site of the present Bibb County Courthouse. The fourth and final move, to this site, occurred in 1883 and the current building was dedicated in 1887. The church was instrumental in the formation of several local congregations including Mabel White Memorial Baptist Church. In 1903 the congregation funded construction of the first Southern Baptist hospital in a foreign land, the Warren Memorial . . . — Map (db m23046) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-17 — The First Presbyterian Church|
|Organized as the Presbyterian Church of Macon on June 18, 1826, by the Rev. Benjamin Gildersleeve and the Rev. Joseph C. Stiles, the church dedicated this house of worship, its third, on September 19, 1858, at the close of the ministry of the Rev. Robert L. Breck. Mr. Stiles was the first pastor; Matthew Robertson and Samuel B. Hunter, ordained October 14, 1827, the first elders.
This church was host for formation of the Synod of Georgia in 1844 with Dr. Thomas Goulding, founder and first . . . — Map (db m44944) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-14 — The March to the Sea|
|On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his March to the Sea. His army (650,000 infantry and 5,500 cavalry) moved in two widely separated wings. The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O. O. Howard, USA, moved via Jackson toward Gordon (20 miles E), feinting on Macon. The left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen. Henry W. Slocum, USA, moved via Decatur and Eatonton toward Milledgeville (34 miles NE), feinting on Augusta. The 3rd Cavalry Division, . . . — Map (db m25408) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-13 — The Stoneman Raid|
|In July, 1864, Union forces under Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, closed in on Atlanta. Finding its fortifications “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest,” Sherman sought to force its evacuation by sending Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman, with three cavalry brigades (2112 men and 2 guns), to destroy enough of the railroad to Macon to shut off the flow of supplies. On the 27th, Stoneman moved south through Decatur, crossed the Ocmulgee (Yellow) River near Covington, and marched down . . . — Map (db m44555) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — Vineville United Methodist Church — South Georgia Conference — February 12, 2006|
|Vineville United Methodist Church, the oldest daughter of Mulberry Street United Methodist Church, was begun in 1846 to serve wealthy planners of the village of Vineville, just outside Macon. It has been located on this site since 1897. The current sanctuary was completed in 1926, and additional structures have been erected since then. Devoted to evangelism, Vineville has been instrumental in the establishment of numerous other United Methodist churches in the city. Home to three former bishops . . . — Map (db m44570) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — War of 1812 Bicentennial Celebration|
|As U.S. Army and Georgia Militia Headquarters, Fort Hawkins played a significant role in the War of 1812. The fort supplied all command and logistics support for the Southern Theatre and fort personnel participated directly in the Creek War and The Battle of New Orleans. Although a military stalemate, our Second War of Independence settled America’s freedom from British rule. During the burning of Washington, D.C., the plans and records of Fort Hawkins were presumably destroyed. Fort Hawkins is . . . — Map (db m59575) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 226 — Wesleyan College — First College Chartered to Grant Degrees to Women — December 23, 1836|
|Led by the Methodist Community, a citizens’ committee in the city of Macon founded Wesleyan as the first baccalaureate college for women. The Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church accepted the college from the committee, appointed a Board of Trustees with Bishop James O. Andrew as Chairman, and named the Reverend George Foster Pierce as first President.
From that beginning, Wesleyan has maintained close ties with the church. Bishops, ministers, laywomen and laymen have . . . — Map (db m55010) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Arthur Fickling, Sr. — Father of Cherry Blossoms|
|In grateful memory of William Arthur Fickling, Sr. (1903 - 1990), a long time resident of Macon and Bibb County and leader in numerous civic, governmental, religious and charitable organizations and activities.
Mr. Fickling’s broad ranging interests included Wesleyan College, Macon Chamber of Commerce, Bibb County Commission, a number of charitable organizations and Mulberry Street United Methodist Church.
Recipient of numerous awards for his service and contributions, Mr. Fickling . . . — Map (db m49768) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773–1777 — Deep South Region|
|In 1775 William Bartram wrote of viewing “Old Okmulgee Fields” and remains of the power and grandeur of ancients of area. — Map (db m419) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777|
|During his 1775 visit, Bartram noted this area “exhibited a delightful diversified rural scene and promises a happy, fruitful, and salubrious region.” — Map (db m49588) HM|
|Georgia (Bibb County), Macon — 011-15 — Wilson's Raid To Macon|
|On March 22, 1865, the Cavalry Corps, Military Division of the Mississippi [US], Bvt. Maj. Gen. James H. Wilson, USA, left the Tennessee River near Florence, Ala., and marched south to Selma to destroy its arsenals and foundries. On April 10th, after defeating Lt. Gen. N. B. Forrest’s cavalry corps [CS] and wrecking Selma, he marched east through Montgomery to Columbus, Georgia, where he destroyed the arsenal, foundries, navy-yard, small-arms factory, mills, railway facilities and large stores . . . — Map (db m25380) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-22 — Battle of Griswoldville|
|On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) towards Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt’s brigade, with two guns of Arndt’s Michigan Battery, was posted on the right to protect the movement from the persistent harassment of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] from the direction of Macon. Near Griswoldville (2 miles NE), Walcutt was attacked by a division of Georgia Militia [CS] under Brig. Gen. P. J. . . . — Map (db m25240) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-21 — Battle of Griswoldville|
|On Nov. 22, 1864, the Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps) of Gen. Sherman’s army [US] moved SE from Clinton (near Gray) toward Gordon and Irwinton on its destructive March to the Sea. Walcutt brigade, with two guns of Arndt’s Michigan Battery, was posted on the right to protect the movement from the persistent harassment of Wheeler’s cavalry [CS] from the direction of Macon.
Near Griswoldville (4 miles E), Walcutt was attacked by a division of Georgia Militia [CS] under Brig. Gen. P. J. . . . — Map (db m41550) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-7 — Old Garrison Road|
|This road was built about 1800 by the State as a military road for the movement of troops between Milledgeville and Fort Hawkins (Macon) during the Indian Wars. It was strongly garrisoned to afford protection on this side of the Ocmulgee River, and was important in the assembling of troops during the War of 1812. Governors Peter Early and D. B. Mitchell passed here many times when inspecting their soldiers, each of whom carried long barreled flintlocks and powder horns with dried deer meat and . . . — Map (db m57868) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Macon — Pitts Chapel|
|The first record of Pitts Chapel dates back to October 13, 1860 when three and three-fourths acres of land was purchased from James Wells for $130 for the purpose of erecting a Methodist Episcopal Church. Upon this land was erected the largest and finest church of that time in Jones County. This church located at the Cross Roads in the southern part of the county was named Pitts Chapel for Peyton T. Pitts, Sr. who built it of his own means, and who was its main support until his death on July . . . — Map (db m41560) HM|
|Georgia (Jones County), Macon — 084-19 — The 15th Corps|
|On the night of Nov. 21, 1864, the headquarters and one division (Hazen’s) of the 15th Corps [US] of General Sherman’s army, which had left Atlanta on Nov. 15th on its destructive March to the Sea, camped here at the crossing of the Macon-Milledgeville and Clinton-Irwinton roads. Wood’s division camped at the railroad, 3 ½ miles south.
Next morning, Hazen moved past Woods towards Irwinton. Walcutt’s brigade of Woods’ division, on the extreme right, was attacked near Griswoldville (4 . . . — Map (db m41446) HM|
|Georgia (Monroe County), Macon — 102-3 — Montpelier Institute|
|Montpelier Institute, founded in 1842 by Stephen Elliott, Jr., First Episcopal Bishop of the diocese of Georgia, was Georgia`s second oldest school for girls. Col. G.B. Lamar gave the land for the school including Montpelier Springs, long noted as a health resort. Operated until 1856 as a Female Institute with students from several states and prominent teachers, its cutural influence was felt for many years. For 20 years, until 1876, Montpelier was a private school. When that school closed the property was acquired by the Hart family of Macon. — Map (db m9929) HM|