|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — “Oh Shenandoah, I Long to See You!”|
|“Big Apple Time Capsule” • Dedicated: Oct 19, 1990 – Re-open in year of 2040 • Sponsor: Martinsburg Jaycees.
This “community pride project” is an attempt to preserve the Apple Capital city and surrounding areas of our Southern and Shenandoah Valley heritage. May God bless our endeavors. — Map (db m1212) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Avenue of Flags Monument|
|The colonial village of Martinsburg was established by law enacted by the General Assemply of the Commonwealth of Virginia on October 21, 1778. Martinsburg’s founder was General Adam Stephen, a noted soldier of the American Revolutionary War. General Stephen named Martinsburg in honor of his close friend, Colonel Thomas B. Martin, the nephew of Lord Thomas Fairfax.
Martinsburg has grown and prospered for two hundred years because of the hopes, prayers, andhard work of its citizenry. This . . . — Map (db m1978) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Shop Complex|
|The roundhouse is the sole surviving cast-iron framed roundhouse and is an important example of mid-19th century industrial building design. Designed by Albert Fink, in collaboration with Benjamin H. Latrobe, it represents an early use of standardized, prefabricated iron structural elements to create an efficient and fire-resistant building.
Constructed 1866-1867 • National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark — Map (db m1199) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Baltimore and Ohio Roundhouse and Shop Complex|
|National Civil Engineering Landmark. The re-construction of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Roundhouse and Shop Complex commenced soon after the end of the American Civil War in 1865. This complex included two roundhouses and two significant shop buildings. The centerpiece of the railroad complex was the West Roundhouse, which can be seen in the immediate foreground. Roundhouse construction started in 1965 and was completed in 1966. The shop buildings, Bridge and Machine Shop and Frog and . . . — Map (db m17373) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Battle of Falling Waters — Jackson’s Coolness Under Fire|
| On the morning of July 2, 1861, Federal troops under Gen. Robert Patterson crossed the Potomac River from Maryland and marched south toward Martinsburg. Colonel Thomas J. Jackson sent his men north from their camp north of town to block them and to determine whether they approached in force, as General Joseph E. Johnston had directed him. Jackson was to retire if the Federal troops outnumbered his own. After he discovered that he was outnumbered, Jackson fought a brief delaying action near . . . — Map (db m41631) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Belle Boyd House — 126 E. Race Street — Built 1853|
| Built in 1853 by Benjamin Reed Boyd, a merchant, Confederate soldier and the father of Belle Boyd. Belle Boyd was a famous Confederate spy author and actress. — Map (db m45854) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Belle Boyd House — Home of a Spy — Antietam Campaign|
|Isabelle “Belle” Boyd, the Confederate spy, lived here during part of her childhood. The ten-year-old and her family moved here in 1853 and left in 1858 for a dwelling (no longer standing) on South Queen Street. According to Boyd, when Union Gen. Robert Patterson’s army occupied Martinsburg in July 1861, she escaped prosecution after
dead a soldier who invaded the Queen Street house and insulted her mother, Mary Glen Boyd.
In the spring of 1862, Belle Boyd paid a . . . — Map (db m63496) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Berkeley Hotel — Railroad Raids Survivor|
|This is one of the last surviving antebellum buildings in the area. It was constructed shortly after the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842. The adjacent railroad yards twice were Confederate Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson’s target.
The possession of Martinsburg, a strategic railroad center, was hotly contested during the early years of the war. On May 24, 1861, Gen. Joseph E. Johnson ordered Jackson to destroy the rolling stock here. Beginning in June, . . . — Map (db m58629) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Boydville|
|Built, 1812, by Elisha Boyd, general in the War of 1812, on land bought from Gen. Adam Stephen. Mansion noted for its fine workmanship. Home of his son-in-law, Charles J. Faulkner, Minister to France, and his grandson, U.S. Senator Faulkner. — Map (db m983) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Civil War Martinsburg — Focus of Contention|
|Martinsburg, strategically located on the Valley Turnpike, (present day U.S. Route 11) and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, was a major transportation center and the northern gateway to the Shenandoah Valley. Both sides contested for it frequently during the war, and it changed hands many times.
In 1861, from late in May through June, Col. Thomas J. Jackson and his volunteers shut down the railroad, burning bridges and rolling stock. Jackson was here again in October 1862, and on his orders . . . — Map (db m58630) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Fort Neally|
|During the French and Indian War, Fort Neally was captured and its garrison massacred, Sept. 17, 1756. Many settlers in the vicinity also were killed. Among captives was Isabella Stockton, later wife of William McCleery, Morgantown. — Map (db m12790) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Gen. Adam Stephen|
|Here was home of General Adam Stephen, founder of Martinsburg and county's first sheriff. Was famous as fighter in French and Indian Wars, and as major general in the American Revolutionary War. — Map (db m12786) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — General “Stonewall” Jackson|
|In Memory of General “Stonewall” Jackson This tablet is erected by the Berkeley County Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy to commemorate an instance of General Jackson’s remarkable bravery at all times in the face of the gravest danger. On this site July 2, 1861, General Jackson was seated under an oak tree giving orders when fired upon by Federal troops. A cannon ball cut off a limb of the tree, but Jackson, unhurt, rode calmly away. — Map (db m41626) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — General Adam Stephen House and Triple Brick Museum|
|Founder of Martinsburg, First Sheriff of Berkeley County, Statesman, Soldier, Surgeon National Register of Historic Places Oct. 15, 1970 — Map (db m12788) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Gettysburg Campaign — Invasion & Retreat|
|After stunning victories at Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville, Virginia, early in May 1863, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee carried the war through Maryland, across the Mason and Dixon Line and into Pennsylvania. His infantry marched north through the Shenandoah Valley and western Maryland as his cavalry, led by Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, harassed Union supply lines to the east. Union Gen. Joseph Hooker, replaced on June 28 by Gen. George G. Meade, led the Army of the Potomac from the Washington . . . — Map (db m1975) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Hammond House — Headquarters and Hospital|
|Dr. Allen C. Hammond constructed this Greek Revival-style house about 1838. During the Civil War, both sides used it periodically for a headquarters or a hospital. The war ruined Hammond, a strong Southern sympathizer.
In October 1859, Hammond’s son George Newkirk “Kirk” Hammond (1833-1864), a Virginia Military Institute graduate, rushed to Martinsburg to join the county militia when he learned of John Brown’s Raid at Harpers Ferry. Capt E.G. Alburtis led his company to the . . . — Map (db m58670) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — J. R. Clifford|
|Born 1848 in Hardy Co. A Civil War vet., Storer College graduate, teacher and principal at local Sumner School. Published Pioneer Press (1882), first African American paper in state. First of race to pass state bar exam (1887); argued two race discrimination cases before Supreme Court. A founder of Niagra Movement, a predecessor of NAAC_, and its 1906 Harpers Ferry meeting. Died Martinsburg, 1933. — Map (db m1210) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg|
|Founded, 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. Named for Thomas Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. Home of Admirals Charles Boarman and C.K. Stribling. Locomotives seized here, 1861, in Jackson’s raid were drawn by horses to Winchester, Va. — Map (db m1973) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg / Berkeley Riflemen|
|Martinsburg. Established, 1778, by Gen. Adam Stephen. Named for Col. Thomas Martin, nephew of Lord Fairfax. Home of Admiral C.K. Stribling and Admiral Charles Boarman. In Jackson’s raid, 1861, captured B&O locomotives were drawn by horses to Winchester, Va.
Berkeley Riflemen. The Berkeley Riflemen from Eastern Panhandle counties, under Capt. Hugh Stephenson, were first southern troops to join Washington in 1775 at Boston. In a “bee line” from Morgan’s Spring, they marched 600 miles in 26 days. — Map (db m1976) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Martinsburg Roundhouse — Jackson and the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad — Antietam Campaign|
|In April 1861, as the Civil War erupted, Confederate forces seized the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad from Harpers Ferry west. On May 24, Gen. Joseph
E. Johnston ordered Col. Thomas J. (later “Stonewall”) Jackson to destroy
the rolling stock here at Martinsburg, a Unionist stronghold. Jackson began
his task on June 13, soon burning 300 cars and destroying 42 locomotives.
“It was sad work,” Jackson wrote his wife Anna, “but I had my orders and
my duty was to . . . — Map (db m1200) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Old Federal Building|
|125 S. Maple Avenue. Completed 1895. Constructed using the Richardson-Romanesque Style of architecture, this building served as a Post Office and United States Courthouse. — Map (db m1977) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Roundhouses and Shops / Railroad Strike of 1877|
|Roundhouses and Shops. The B&O Railroad reached Martinsburg in 1842,
and by 1849, a roundhouse and shops were
built. These first buildings were burned by
Confederate troops in 1862. The present west
roundhouse and the two shops were built in
1866. The east roundhouse was built in 1872.
These buildings represent one of the last
remaining examples of American industrial
railroad architecture still intact and in
use. These structures serve as important
reminders of the status of the . . . — Map (db m1197) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Site of Belle Boyd Home|
|Famous Confederate Spy. Here on July 4, 1861, Belle Boyd, at the age of 17, shot and killed a Union soldier. She was imprisoned on several occasions as a result of her later spying activities. — Map (db m982) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Sumner-Ramer Memorial School — 515 West Martin Street|
|The present building was completed in 1917 under the leadership of Fred R. Ramer. He was the first principal in Berkeley County to have a school named after him. Ramer school served the black community until 1964. — Map (db m1211) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Van Metre Ford Bridge|
|Named for the property owners this stone bridge built in 1832 across Opequon Creek was major improvement for travellers on Warm Springs Road connecting Alexandria and Bath, Va., site of famous mineral waters. The Berkeley County Court established a commission to study and contract for construction of bridge. Silas Harry erected at local expense 165 foot bridge at reported cost of $3,700. — Map (db m12849) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — Veterans Administration Center|
|Established as the Newton D. Baker General Hospital, U.S. Army. Named for Newton D. Baker, native of Martinsburg and Secretary of War, World War I. Opened for patients in 1944. It became Veterans Administration Center in 1946. — Map (db m12784) HM|
|West Virginia (Berkeley County), Martinsburg — World War Memorial|
|1917-1918. This memorial is dedicated as an enduring tribute to the patriotism of the citizens of Berkeley County who rendered loyal service to our country in the great World War, and to honor the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in the cause of humanity. • Sponsored by the American Legion Auxiliary. • Erected 1925 by the Berkeley County Memorial Association, with voluntary contributions made by the people of the county.
Honor Roll “Lest We Forget” . . . — Map (db m1256) WM|