Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Milwaukee Historical Markers

Wisconsin (Milwaukee), Milwaukee — 186 — Saint Mary's School of Nursingformerly Saint Mary's Training School for Nurses — 1894-1969
Formal nurses training in the United States began in Boston in 1872. In 1888, the Women's Club of Wisconsin organized the Wisconsin Training School for Nurses patterned after the Bellevue School of Nursing in New York.

In 1894, the Daughters . . . — Map (db m94858) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 63 — A.W. Rich Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places A.W. Rich Shoe Co. Designed by Robert Messmer & Co. Tour Site 63 1900 — Map (db m75402) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln 1809 – 1865 President, Emancipator, Martyr With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the . . . — Map (db m38434) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — All Saints Episcopal Cathedral Complex
Comprising the Cathedral (1868-69), former Guild Hall – Cathedral Institute (1891), former Bishop’s House (1902-03), and landscaped grounds. Designated as a Milwaukee landmark in 1974 in recognition of its architectural and historical . . . — Map (db m43011) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Allan H. Selig"Bud" — President of the Milwaukee Brewers 1970-1998 Ninth President of Major League Baseball
Returned Major League Baseball to his hometown in 1970 by founding the Milwaukee Brewers, the winners of the 1982 American League pennant. Selig, UPI's 1978 Executive of the Year, led the Brewers to seven "Organization of the Year" awards as . . . — Map (db m36226) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 53 — American Candy CompanyHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 53
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles Crane Tour Site 53 1902 — Map (db m38544) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 57 — American Wholesale Grocery CompanyHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 57
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by William Kozik Tour Site 57 1925 — Map (db m38546) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Architectural Gems on the Riverfront
The Milwaukee County Historical Society (5 above) was built in 1913 to house the Second Ward Savings Bank. The triangular Beaux Arts limestone building is notable for its arched windows, Ionic columns and carved decorations. Milwaukee City Hall . . . — Map (db m38872) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — At the State Fair on these Grounds
. . . — Map (db m37602) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Automatic Temperature Control System1895 — Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
Warren S. Johnson (1847-1911) built and patented the first multi-zone temperature control system that could be economically manufactured, installed and maintained. The Johnson Controls pneumatic temperature control system, represented by artifacts . . . — Map (db m38669) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 14 — Baumbach BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Baumbach Building Designed by Eugene R. Liebert First occupant Cohen Bros., Clothiers Tour Site 14 1900 — Map (db m75405) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 372 — Bay View’s Immigrants
From a quiet mid 19th–century farming community to a bustling industrial center along Kinninckinnic Avenue in only twenty years, Bay View’s industrial transformation could not have occurred without the contributions of hundreds of immigrant . . . — Map (db m34803) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 275 — Bay View's Rolling Mill
Near this site in Bay View stood the Milwaukee Iron Company rolling mill, the first major heavy industry in the region and an important producer of iron and steel for the Midwest. The mill, which opened in 1868, transformed ore from Dodge County and . . . — Map (db m75452) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of China-Burma-India Veterans Ass'n.1948 - 1963
On this site, August 28, 1948 was held the 1st CBI National reunion of World War II veterans who organized the CBIVA

This tablet dedicated May 18, 1963 — Map (db m45070) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the American League
The Republican House, a hotel that stood on this site from 1886 to 1961, was the birthplace of baseball’s American League. On the night of March 5, 1900, Milwaukee attorney Henry Killilea, his brother Matt, Connie Mack, Byron (Ban) Johnson, and . . . — Map (db m30351) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the Department of Wisconsin American Legion1919 - 1937
. . . — Map (db m40442) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 549 — Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
On Christmas Day 1847, a group of German-speaking settlers, mostly from Pennsylvania, met and founded the German Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church of Granville Township. By June 1849, these settlers had built and dedicated a log church on a . . . — Map (db m68205) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church
West and across the street stood Milwaukee's first landmark, Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church, built by the Italian community. Known as the Little Pink Church, 1904-1967. Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church, built in 1904 as the first church . . . — Map (db m38477) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Borchert Field/The Milwaukee Bears Negro National League 1923
Borchert Field Borchert Field, home to Milwaukee professional baseball for over 60 years, was located between W. Burleigh, W. Chambers, N. 7th, and N. 8th Streets. Known originally as Athletic Park when it opened on May 20, 1888, the ballpark . . . — Map (db m35200) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 34 — Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co. Designed by W.A. Holbrook Tour Site 34 1894 — Map (db m75379) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home
Built in 1838, the general’s 2-story wooden house on the northeast corner of Mason and Van Buren lent this intersection the name “King’s Corner.” It was razed in 1915. Rufus King (1814-1876) came to Milwaukee in 1845, was editor of the . . . — Map (db m38787) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 11 — Broadway Produce Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Broadway Produce Co. Designed by A.C. Runzler Tour Site 11 1937 — Map (db m50522) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 311 — Captain Frederick Pabst(1836 – 1904)
Of German birth, Pabst became a ship's captain in the 1850s and moved to Milwaukee in the 1860s. He later joined his father-in-law's brewery (founded 1844), which was renamed the Pabst Brewery in 1889. By the 1890s it was the world's largest lager . . . — Map (db m8306) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Carferry SS MilwaukeeHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: railroad carferry, steel hull Built: 1903, American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio Sank: October 22, 1929 Lives Lost: 40-50 Length: 388’ Beam: 56’ Cargo: train cars (loaded), tubs, mixed freight, 3 automobiles Propulsion: triple . . . — Map (db m42299) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 265 — Carl Frederick ZeidlerJanuary 4, 1908 – November 7, 1942
Milwaukee born and educated, lawyer Carl F. Zeidler became Milwaukee’s 33rd mayor in April, 1940, when he defeated Daniel W. Hoan, Socialist mayor since 1916. In April, 1942, Zeidler left office to enter service as a U.S. Navy Lieutenant (j.g.). On . . . — Map (db m37268) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 206 — Carl Sandburg Hall
Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), poet, balladeer, biographer of Lincoln, soldier in the Spanish-American War, came from Illinois to Wisconsin in December 1907 as a state organizer for the Social-Democratic party in eastern Wisconsin. After marrying . . . — Map (db m32619) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 31 — Cawker BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Cawker Building First occupant Landauer & Co. Dry Goods & Notions Tour Site 31 1895 — Map (db m75378) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Central Library
Erected in 1898 from the award-winning design of Ferry and Clas. Designated as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee 1969 by Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m56307) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Charles Allis House
Designed by A.C. Eschweiler, erected in 1909, and designated in 1972 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m66660) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 288 — Civil War Camp
Near here a Civil War training camp was built in August 1861. Named Camp Holton, Camp Sigel and finally Camp Reno, its boundaries were Prospect and Bartlett Avenues and Lafayette and Royall Places. Six Wisconsin infantry regiments, almost 7,000 men, . . . — Map (db m37272) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 47 — Clemens H. Kalvelage WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Clemens H. Kalvelage Warehouse Designed by Carl Ringer Tour Site 47 1911 — Map (db m75382) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 55 — Cohen Brothers Manufacturing Company, ClothiersHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 55
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles Crane Tour Site 55 1910 — Map (db m38547) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — College Women's Club
Erected in 1875, restored in 1965, and designated in 1968 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m44347) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Court House Square
Donated, in 1837, by Solomon Juneau & Morgan L. Martin, for a public recreation spot. The people of Milwaukee owe a debt of everlasting gratitude to these public-spirited pioneers. — Map (db m73301) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 9 — E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission HouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House Tour Site 9 1911 — Map (db m50521) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Edward Diederichs House"The Lion House"
Designed by the firm of Mygatt and Schmidtner in 1855 for Edward Diederichs, this ante-bellum residence was badly damaged by fire and rebuilt in 1859. In 1895, the structure was enlarged with the addition of a second floor designed by architect . . . — Map (db m54652) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 59 — Edward Rohnert Coffee Roasting FactoryHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Edward Rohnert Coffee Roasting Factory Designed by Robert Messmer Tour Site 59 1913 — Map (db m75401) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 182 — Erastus B. Wolcott, M.D(1804 – 1880)
Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott was an originator of the idea for a national soldier’s home in Milwaukee. A spirited leader in medicine, business and government, he was state surgeon-general during the Civil War and an ardent advocate for what is now the . . . — Map (db m77415) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Every Building Tells a Story
The adjacent Mitchell and Mackie Buildings were commissioned by local tycoon, Alexander Mitchell. The Mitchell Building (16 above), one of America's finest examples of French Second Empire architecture, was built in 1876 on the site of pioneer . . . — Map (db m38881) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 21 — F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co. Designed by Schnetzky & Son — Map (db m74499) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 103 — Father Marquette's Camp - 1674
Father Jacques Marquette, the French Jesuit missionary who with Sieur Louis Jolliet discovered and first explored the upper Mississippi in 1673, stayed on this site November 23-27, 1674. Marquette, with two French Canadians, Pierre Porteret and . . . — Map (db m30169) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Federal Building - U.S. Courthouse
Designed by W.J. Edbrooke, erected in 1892-99, and designated in 1972 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 293 — First African-American Church Built in Wisconsin
St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church, the first African-American church built in Wisconsin, once stood on this site. The property was purchased in 1869, the year the congregation was organized. Construction on the St. Mark A.M.E. church began . . . — Map (db m35201) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — First Court House
. . . — Map (db m32744) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 131 — First Milwaukee Cargo Pier
Near here, at the foot of Huron (now Clybourn) Street, the first cargo pier in Milwaukee harbor was built by Horatio Stevens, Richard Owens, Amos Tufts and J.G. Kendall during the winter of 1842-43. The first vessel to dock at North Pier was the . . . — Map (db m31137) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Floating Freight on Liquid Highways
The Menomonee River Valley helped make Milwaukee a center for shipping and trade. From 1870 to 1890, the river was straightened and canals were dredged to aid commerce. Factories built right up to the banks make it easy to load and unload cargo . . . — Map (db m84983) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 16 — Fred Vogel Jr. BuildingHistoric Third Ward
. . . — Map (db m75393) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 30 — Friend & Marks Co., ClothiersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Friend & Marks Co., Clothiers Designed by Buemming & Dick Tour Site 30 1906 — Map (db m75388) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 58 — G. Patek WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places G. Patek Warehouse Designed by A.C. Eschweiler First Occupant Columbia Knitting Co. Tour Site 58 1904 — Map (db m75400) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Garden Homes
The first municipally-supported housing project in the United States, developed in 1921-23, and designated as a Milwaukee landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance. — Map (db m70601) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 221 — General Mitchell Field
On October 29, 1926, Milwaukee County purchased the flying field which Thomas Hamilton had established in 1920 on East Layton Avenue in connection with his propeller business. Northwest Airways inaugurated scheduled passenger service here on July 5, . . . — Map (db m38870) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — George Washington1732-1932
The people of Milwaukee have planted these trees, living memorials, as a tribute of affection and gratitude to George Washington The Father of Our Country Heroic General - Patriotic Statesman Virtuous Sage The fruit of his labors . . . — Map (db m73864) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 27 — George Ziegler & Co. Candy ManufacturersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers Designed by H.D. Schnetzky Tour Site 27 1890 — Map (db m75391) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Gertie
On September 25, 1997 Eppstein Uhen Architects-Milwaukee, presented this replica of "Gertie" to the City of Milwaukee, in appreciation of their 90 year partnership. Gertie is the mallard that captivated the City and the Nation in 1945. . . . — Map (db m38656) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 256 — Golda Meir1898-1978
The UWM Library is named for Golda Meir. Born Goldie Mabowehz in the Ukraine, she migrated to Milwaukee in 1906, was educated at Fourth Street School, North Division High School, and in present Mitchell Hall of Milwaukee Normal School (1916-17). She . . . — Map (db m32664) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Golda Meir 1898 - 1978Prime Minister of Israel 1969 -1974
Golda Meir was a student in this school

It was here that she learned the values she carried with her through her life

Golda taught us all the importance of having a vision of what our lives can be

May the teachers and the students . . . — Map (db m45199) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 22 — Goll & Frank Co. Notions and Dry GoodsHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Goll & Frank Co. Notions & dry goods Designed by Ferry & Clas 1896 — Map (db m75392) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 4 — Goodyear Tire & Rubber CompanyHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Tour Site 4 1915 — Map (db m50063) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Green Bay Road
Green Bay Road —— Pioneer Road Chicago to Green Bay —— Established by the Federal Government 1832 Wis. Society of Chicago Map (db m66621) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 60 — Hambach Store and ResidenceHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hambach Store & Residence Designed by Carl Etzel Tour Site 60 1895 — Map (db m75399) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 45 — Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2Historic Third Ward
This propertyy has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2 Architect Unknown Tour Site 45 c. 1904 — Map (db m74764) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Henry Aaron"Hank" — Milwaukee Braves 1954-65 Milwaukee Brewers 1975-76
Baseball's all-time home run king with 755 career home runs Major League leader in total bases, extra base hits and runs batted in Began his 23-year career with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954 Led the Braves to the World Championship in 1957 . . . — Map (db m36188) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeWest Wisconsin Avenue
In the mid 1800s, many well-known Milwaukeeans built mansions along what is now Wisconsin Avenue. The first, and one of the few remaining, was built by Alexander Mitchell in 1848. Mitchell (1817-1887), reputedly 19th century Wisconsin’s richest man, . . . — Map (db m56378) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeWest Wisconsin Avenue
In 1893, Milwaukee held a national competition to select architects for the city’s first public library and museum (now the Central Library). The prominent local firm Ferry and Clas was chosen. The resulting design reflected an emerging national . . . — Map (db m56379) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
Between 1870 and 1900, Milwaukee’s economy expanded beyond processing the region’s agricultural products to include large-scale heavy industry. This led to an expansion of established businesses including banking, insurance, commission trading and . . . — Map (db m56397) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
In this east-of-the-river locale then known as Juneautown, the first stage of development transformed a wilderness into a village—in less that a decade. The area was still swampy, rugged forest in the early 1830s. Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee’s . . . — Map (db m56398) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
The eastern edge of downtown Milwaukee, the lakeshore itself, was very close to this spot until the early 20th century. If you were standing here before 1917 you would be standing very near the water’s edge. Between 1917 and 1937, Milwaukee filled . . . — Map (db m56832) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee was a large city in 1859, but large is relative. With 45,000 residents, pigs still roamed the city’s gravel streets. Most of downtown was residential, with the business district clustered at Wisconsin Avenue and the Milwaukee River. But . . . — Map (db m58166) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeNorth Plankinton Avenue
Picture Milwaukee in 1835. Potawatomi and Menomonee tribal lands had been ceded by treaty to the federal government in 1831 and 1833, and the land made available for sale. By 1835 there were 125 hardy settlers living in log cabins and claim shanties . . . — Map (db m58168) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
In the early 1800s, a young French Canadian named Solomon Juneau came to work in Milwaukee and met and married his boss’s daughter, Josette Vieau, who was of French and Menominee ancestry. The couple built a cabin for their family on the northwest . . . — Map (db m58169) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 18 — Hoffmann & Sons Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hoffman & Sons Co. Grocers Designed by Ferry and Clas Tour Site 18 1906 — Map (db m75394) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Holy Trinity - Our Lady of Guadalupe Church
Erected in 1849 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m76611) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Immanuel Presbyterian Church
Erected in 1873 and designated in 1969 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m42572) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In Honor of the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers of the American League
[Front of Marker:] In 1900, the American League was born in a Milwaukee hotel named the Republican House. The following year, during the 1901 inaugural season, the Milwaukee Brewers were one of eight teams to participate in Major League . . . — Map (db m36223) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In Honor of the Men and Women of the 25th Ward1941 - 1945
In Honor of the Men and Women of the 25th Ward who served their country in World War II Dedicated May 26th 1946 A.D. — Map (db m45196) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In memory of Franklin Van ValkenburghCaptain U.S.N.
Killed while commanding his ship U.S.S. Arizona at Pearl Harbor T.H. December 7, 1941 — Map (db m70912) WM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Indian Village Site
This spot, in 1833, was the site of an Indian village under the Potawatomi chief Kenozhoym, or “Lake Pickerel.” The village was located near a clear spring, at the foot of a steep bluff, atop which were more wigwams and an Indian . . . — Map (db m56265) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 43 — Invention of the Typewriter
At 318 State Street, approximately 300 feet northeast of here, C. Latham Sholes perfected the first practical typewriter in September, 1869. Here he worked during the summer with Carlos Glidden, Samuel W. Soule, & Matthias Schwalbach in the machine . . . — Map (db m31124) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Iron Block
Designed by George H. Johnson, erected in 1860-61, and designated in 1973 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community and the nation. — Map (db m66661) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Jacques Vieau, in 1795
On this site the first permanent fur trader Jacques Vieau, in 1795 built his cabin, the first house in Milwaukee Here also was the crossing of the Green Bay–Chicago Trail This tablet was erected under the auspices of the Old . . . — Map (db m53335) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Jason Downer House
Designed by Edward Townsend Mix, erected in 1874 for Judge Jason Downer, and designated in 1974 as a Milwaukee landmark in recognition of its historical and architectural significance to the community. — Map (db m43840) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 10 — Jewett & Sherman Co. Merchant MillHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Tour Site 10 1875 — Map (db m74171) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 12 — Kalvelage Wholesale Commission HouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Carl Ringer & Son Tour Site 12 c. 1909 — Map (db m74173) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 32 — Keenan BuildingHistoric Third Ward
. . . — Map (db m75386) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 333 — Kilbourntown
In this vicinity, Kilbourntown, one of the three original Milwaukee settlements, was founded by surveyor and land speculator Byron Kilbourn in 1835. Kilbourntown’s first residents were entrepreneurs from the East. In 1839, a small group of German . . . — Map (db m37262) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Kilbourntown House
Built about 1844 by Benjamin Church, a pioneer carpenter and builder, in the Kilbourntown section of early Milwaukee. With its clean lines and fluted Doric columns, the house is an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture. Its construction . . . — Map (db m47857) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Lake Park
Lake Park Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted 1892-1895 Added to the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m73835) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — LeClaire's Trading Post
The first house on the east side of Milwaukee was built on this site in the year 1800 by Antoine LeClaire as a trading post, the log house shown on the left of this view: The log cabin, stockade and store on the right were erected . . . — Map (db m38651) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that . . . — Map (db m38459) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 411 — Mabel Wanda Raimey1898 - 1986
Mabel Raimey was the first African-American woman attorney in Wisconsin and the first to graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1918). She attended Marquette University Law School and was admitted to the Wisconsin Bar in 1927. An . . . — Map (db m33356) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 254 — MacArthur Square
MacArthur Square was designated on September 17, 1945 to honor General of the Army Douglas MacArthur for his leadership of Allied forces in the Pacific during World War II. MacArthur, his father General Arthur MacArthur, and his grandfather Judge . . . — Map (db m32194) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 41 — Marine Terminal BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Marine Terminal Building Designed by Albert Hecht Tour Site 41 1917-18 — Map (db m75380) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Matthew Keenan House
This Italianate double house was erected in 1860 for Matthew Keenan, prominent businessman and civic leader, and was designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance to the community. — Map (db m54651) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Menomonee Valley Campsites
From this point due westward the first white settlers found a succession of Indian campsites. These camps were located near natural springs in the heavily wooded area north of the Waukesha Indian Trail. — Map (db m93690) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 19 — Mercantile BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Mercantile Building Built by Original Owner Alfred Uihlein Tour Site 19 1908 — Map (db m75395) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 354 — Merrill Park
In 1879, Sherburn S. Merrill, the General Manager of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad, purchased almost half a square mile in the Menomonee Valley to construct a massive railroad shop complex. By the early 1880s, the railroad company . . . — Map (db m34802) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee County War Memorial
Dedicated on November 11, 1957, to forever honor the men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces to protect and preserve our freedom, especially those who gave their lives. [Inside the building] Milwaukee County War . . . — Map (db m38431) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 36 — Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Site 36
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles E. Malig Tour Site 36 1915 — Map (db m38509) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 51 — Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 Architect unknown Tour Site 51 1893 — Map (db m74611) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 234 — Milwaukee Interurban Terminal1905 - 1951
The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company opened its terminal here in 1905. The first car entered this building January 1, 1905. The first floor was the terminal area, with two waiting rooms and thirteen car tracks; it was then the . . . — Map (db m80529) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee News Bldg. & Milwaukee Abstract Assn. Bldg.222 East Mason Street
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places March 1, 1982 The State Historical Society of Wisconsin In Association with the U.S. Department of Interior — Map (db m58170) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee River Flushing Pump1888 — National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
This pump, designed by Edwin Reynolds (1831-1909) and built by the Edward P. Allis Company, is the major component of one of the earliest water-pollution control systems. It was capable of pumping more than a half billion gallons of water a day, the . . . — Map (db m56904) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee Road Shops
From 1879 to 1985, this was the location of the Milwaukee Road Shops. The enormous complex made rail cars and locomotives for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad. The Shops included carpentry, metal forging, machine assembly, . . . — Map (db m84978) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 39 — Milwaukee Terminal BuildingHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 39
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Herman Esser Tour Site 39 c.1920 — Map (db m38527) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 147 — Milwaukee-Downer College
On September 14, 1848, Mrs. William L. Parsons, the wife of a Congregational minister, opened the Milwaukee Female Seminary at the corner of Milwaukee and East Wells. Three years later it was chartered by the Legislature, thus placing Wisconsin in . . . — Map (db m32667) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee-Downer College Buildings
This set of four buildings, including Merrill, Johnston, and Holton Halls and Greene Memorial Library, designed by A. C. Eschweiler and erected in 1897–1905, was designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1973 in recognition of its architectural . . . — Map (db m59605) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Bridge War
The three original founders of Milwaukee each led separate settlements, with the Milwaukee River serving as the key border between them. Solomon Juneau's Juneautown was on the east, Byron Kilbourn's Kilbourntown on the west and George Walker's . . . — Map (db m38819) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Last Operating Tower Clock
Milwaukee's Last Operating Tower Clock at South 16th and West Washington Streets donated to the Milwaukee Public Museum by Thomas Bliffert and re-erected on 4 October 1972 — Map (db m44592) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Miraculous Mallard
In the spring of 1945, the image of a mallard duck named Gertie nesting atop a rotting oak piling in downtown Milwaukee helped cheer a weary nation during the final days of World War II. The Milwaukee Journal published 37 stories about Gertie . . . — Map (db m38839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Mitchell Building
The first house on this corner was Solomon Juneau's residence, built in -1835. The Wisconsin Marine and Fire Insurance Co. and its successor, the Marine National Bank occupied this site from -1846-to-1930. The present building was erected in -1876 . . . — Map (db m38589) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Mitchell Park
Five acres of the park were donated to the public by former United States Senator John L. Mitchell, a native and public spirited citizen of Milwaukee. — Map (db m53336) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 56 — Monarch Manufacturing Co., ClothiersHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 56
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Martin Tullgren & Sons Tour Site 56 1917 — Map (db m38567) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 52 — Mrs. Isabella Ryder BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Mrs. Isabella Ryder Building Designed by Schnetzky & Liebert First Occupant Milwaukee Mirror & Art Glass Works Tour Site 52 1893 — Map (db m74610) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 17 — National Distilling Co.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places National Distilling Co. Designed by Crane & Barthausen Tour Site 17 1893 — Map (db m75397) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — National Historic Mechanical Engineering LandmarkOneida Street Power Plant
This facility, formerly known as the Oneida Street Power Plant, served from 1918-1920 as the pilot plant in the United States for the development and use of finely-pulverized-coal firing in the boilers of steam-electric power plants. The results of . . . — Map (db m93662) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers
The National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was established by Congressional legislation and approved by President Abraham Lincoln on March 3, 1865. Its purpose was "...to care for him who shall have borne the battle..." as stated in . . . — Map (db m77416) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 287 — National Soldiers Home
The Wisconsin Soldiers’ Home Association was formed in 1864 by a coalition of women’s charitable organizations led by Lydia Hewitt, Hannah Vedder, and Mrs. E. L. Buttrick of Milwaukee. The Association raised funds to endow a hospital where sick and . . . — Map (db m77414) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Nearly a Century of Planning
Early in the 20th century, architect Alfred C. Clas imagined the riverfront as a European-style destination for recreation and a source of beauty at the heart of downtown. In 1914, Clas, a proponent of the "City Beautiful" movement to improve . . . — Map (db m38863) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 535 — North Point Light Station
The North Point Light Station has a long history of guiding mariners to Milwaukee. Its location was chosen to mark the north point of Milwaukee Bay. Erected in 1887 and first lit in 1888, the 39-foot octagonal cast-iron tower replaced an 1855 . . . — Map (db m48408) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 214 — North Point Lighthouse
Milwaukee’s first lighthouse was erected in 1837 on a 56 foot bluff at the east end of Wisconsin Ave. It was replaced in 1855 by a 28 foot tower 100 feet east of the present location. Erosion forced the rebuilding in the 1870’s and relocation . . . — Map (db m34766) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Northwestern National Insurance Company
Erected in 1906 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m56578) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 8 — O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co. Designed by Ferry and Clas Tour Site 8 1911 — Map (db m50520) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 48 — O.R. Pieper Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places O.R. Pieper Co., Grocers Designed by Ringer & Son Tour Site 48 1907 — Map (db m75384) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 201 — Old North Point Water Tower
The 1871 Wisconsin legislature authorized the City of Milwaukee to finance and build a public water system. By 1873 the Board of Water Commissioners had constructed the old North Point Pumping Station below the bluff with intake from Lake Michigan, . . . — Map (db m34765) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Old St. Mary's Church
Here have I stood these hundred years Asking the busy passer-by Whether he carries - even as I - Christ in his heart Centennial of Old Saint Mary's 1946 --------- Erected in 1846 and designated in 1970 as a Landmark of the City of . . . — Map (db m38617) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 57 — Oneida Street StationT.M.E.R. & L. Co. — (Now Wisconsin Electric Power Co.)
In this station pulverized coal was first successfully burned continuously and at high efficiencies in furnaces of stationary steam boilers November 11-15, 1919. This radical departure from conventional firing methods of the period was vigorously . . . — Map (db m80527) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 7 — Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco Warehouse Tour Site 7 1907 — Map (db m50065) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pabst Brewery
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Building 10 Boiler House 1891 — Map (db m76610) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 37 — Pabst Brewing Company Saloon & Boarding HouseHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 37
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles F. Peters Tour Site 37 1904 — Map (db m38516) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 309 — Pabst Theater
Designed by Otto Strack and built by Milwaukee brewing magnate Captain Frederick Pabst, the Pabst Theater was constructed on the site of an earlier opera house destroyed by fire in 1895. The Pabst was completed in just six months and opened on . . . — Map (db m32367) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 25 — Patek Brothers, Paint, Oil & Glass ManufacturersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Patek Brothers paint, oil & glass manufacturers Designed by Schnetzky & Son Tour Site 25 1914-15 — Map (db m75389) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pere Jacques Marquette, S.J.Missionary and Explorer — 1637-1675
350th Anniversary of his birth Shrine dedicated July 9, 1987 Bronze cast donated by the Milwaukee Sentinel, founded 1837, in honor of its 150th anniversary. Original statue donated by Marquette University High School, Class of 1987 — Map (db m93659) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pere Jacques Marquette, S.J.Missionaire et Explorateur — 1637-1675
Statue en bronze par le "Milwaukee Sentinel" en commemoration de son 150 eme anniversaire Nauguree le 9 Juillet 1987 a l'occasion du 350 eme anniversaire de la naissance du Pere Marquette — Map (db m93660) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pere Marquette Historic Site
Designated as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in 1972, commemorating the place where Father Marquette, French Jesuit missionary, explorer of the Mississippi Valley and Lake Michigan, camped with two companions on November 23-27, 1674. — Map (db m36366) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 1 — Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4 Designed by O.C. Uehling Tour Site 1 c. 1917 — Map (db m49784) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 3 — Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6 Designed by Lockwood & Green Co. Tour Site 3 1922 — Map (db m49786) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 64 — Phoenix Knitting Plant #3Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Plant #3 Designed by Birchoff & Rose Tour Site 64 1915 — Map (db m74589) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 54 — Phoenix Knitting WorksHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 54
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Uehling & Linde Tour Site 54 1902 — Map (db m38545) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Prehistoric Burial Mound
The last of a group of Indian Mounds formerly located on a Stone Age village site near this spot and destroyed in recent years. Several were of larger size. Also the last of many fine groups of burial, linear, and animal shaped mounds formerly . . . — Map (db m68031) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — R. D. Whitehead Monument
(bronze plaque) Originally a horse watering trough Erected in 1910 Restored as a fountain in 1966 by the Mayor’s Beautification Committee Designated a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical significance . . . — Map (db m55263) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 463 — Rescue of Joshua Glover
Joshua Glover was a runaway slave who sought freedom in Racine in 1852. In 1854, his Missouri owner used the Fugitive Slave Act to apprehend him. This 1850 law permitted slave catchers to cross state lines to captured escaped slaves. Glover was . . . — Map (db m33013) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Robin Yount"The Kid" — Milwaukee Brewers 1974-1993
Two-time American League Most Valuable Player Became the 17th player to collect 3,000 career hits Brewers all-time leader in nearly every offensive department Ranks among baseball's elite in at bats, games and doubles One of only three . . . — Map (db m36225) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Roman Catholic Church of the Gesu
Designed by Henry C. Koch and Co., dedicated in 1894, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the city. — Map (db m43014) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 15 — Roundy, Peckham & Dexter Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Roundy, Peckham & Dexter Co. Grocers Designed by Howland Russel Tour Site 15 1895 — Map (db m75398) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 2 — S. Heller Elevator CompanyHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places S. Heller Elevator Company Tour Site 2 1908 — Map (db m49785) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 24 — S. Jung Company Liquor WholesaleHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places S. Jung Company Liquor Wholesale Tour Site 24 1906 — Map (db m75387) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint James Court
This property has been listed by the United States Department of Interior in the National Register of Historic Places This Neo-Classical Beaux Arts-influenced building was designed in 1895 by the prominent Milwaukee architectural firm of Ferry . . . — Map (db m75413) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint John Cathedral
The first church built in Wisconsin specifically as a Roman Catholic Cathedral, dedicated in 1853, and designated in 1974 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. Original . . . — Map (db m38433) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 155 — Saint John's InfirmaryWisconsin’s First Public Hospital – 1848
Founded May 15, 1848, with the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul providing direction and nursing, St. John’s Infirmary offered Wisconsin’s first public hospital care under the supervision of the patient’s physician. (Prior institutions . . . — Map (db m37314) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint Stephen Lutheran Church
Designed by Otto C. Uehling, erected in 1901-02, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m47824) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 40 — SaloonHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 40
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Architect Unknown Tour Site 40 c.1888-1892 — Map (db m38543) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Service Star Legion World War I Memorial
To the memory of those who served 1917-1918 — Map (db m38414) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 327 — Sinking of the Lady Elgin
The loss of the sidewheel steamship Lady Elgin was one of Lake Michigan’s most tragic maritime disasters. On September 8th, 1860, the ship, returning to Milwaukee from Chicago, sank following a collision nine miles off Winnetka, Illinois. . . . — Map (db m37263) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Site of First Milwaukee County Courthouse
On this site stood the First Court House 1836-1870 First Jail 1836 – 1847 First County Offices 1844-1870 Second Jail 1847-1870 This tablet erected by Milwaukee County Under direction of the Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee . . . — Map (db m38432) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Solomon Juneau
. . . — Map (db m38415) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 74 — St. Josaphat Basilica
This magnificent Temple of God is a monument of faith, erected by Polish immigrants at the close of the nineteenth century. Raised to the dignity of a Minor Basilica by Pope Pius XI, it was the third church to be so honored in the United States. Its . . . — Map (db m32839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church
Designed by H.P. Schnetzky and E.R. Liebert, erected in 1891-93, and designated in 1973 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43629) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Designed by E.T. Mix, erected in 1882-90, and named a Milwaukee Landmark in 1972 in recognition of its architectural and historical significance. Noteworthy original elements include the exterior and the interior nave ceiling and stained glass. — Map (db m42570) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 62 — Standard Bedding Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Standard Bedding Co. Designed by R. Messmer & Bros. Tour Site 62 1913 — Map (db m74591) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 5 — Standard Paper Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Standard Paper Co. Designed by Schnetzky & Son Tour Site 5 1914 — Map (db m50064) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 46 — Steinkopf & Sons Tents & AwningsHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings Architect Unknown Tour Site 46 1902 — Map (db m75381) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Steinmeyer Building
Designed by G.B. Ferry and A.C. Clas, erected in 1893 and later for the wholesale and retail grocery firm founded by William Steinmeyer, and designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance . . . — Map (db m43013) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Stop on the Underground Railroad
Across Fond du Lac Avenue from this point was the Samuel Brown farm, part of the local Underground Railroad, a network of hiding places for escaping slaves. In July 1842, 16-year-old Caroline Quarlles, a runaway slave from St. Louis, was hidden on . . . — Map (db m44583) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Straus Building
Built 1924 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m45071) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Birth of Pizza in Milwaukee
From the street level restaurant of a narrow three-story building that was introduced and popularized in Milwaukee. The Caradaro Club (combining the founders' family names "John CARAvella" and "Joe ToDARO") opened in 1945 when World War II was . . . — Map (db m74760) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 476 — The Cream City
Milwaukee is known as “The Cream City” not because of dairies or breweries, but because of its historic pale yellow brick buildings constructed throughout the 19th century. These buildings are a distinctive “cream” color . . . — Map (db m32741) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The First Milwaukeeans
Indian villagers are credited with giving Milwaukee its name, which may have derived from Mahnawauk, Meolaki or Milwacky. Those words may be references to the Milwaukee River or a medicinal plant, but the most common translation is "good land." . . . — Map (db m38882) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The First Unitarian Church of Milwaukee
Erected in 1892 and designated in 1967 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m42573) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Machine Shop of the World
In the early 1900s, Milwaukee was the "Machine Shop of the World" and the Menomonee Valley was its engine. Farm machinery, rail cars, electric motors and cranes were all made in the Valley. Clay became cream city bricks. Wheat was turned into flour, . . . — Map (db m84981) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Prospect Avenue “Spite” HouseCirca 1880
Built by Jason Downer, it is one of the finest Queen Anne style residences in the city. The first notable tenant was Horace Ruble, Minister to Switzerland, head of the Republican Party of Wisconsin for many years and former editor of the . . . — Map (db m54650) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 308 — The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee’s State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city’s west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11–1/2 acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gelleke, expanded in 1912, and . . . — Map (db m32666) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Volunteer-'98
He stood at the curb reflecting, As the boys were marching by, He heard the drums, then saw the flag, And a gleam was in his eye. He loved that starry banner, He had no wish for gain, A grievous thought upon his mind Was the . . . — Map (db m56592) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 310 — Third Ward Fire1892
On the evening of October 28, 1892, an exploding oil barrel started a small fire in the Union Oil and Paint company warehouse, which was located at 323 N. Water Street. Another fire broke out in a nearby factory in the 300 block of N. Broadway, . . . — Map (db m37265) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Town of Lake
Organized in 1838, the Town of Lake was one of seven townships that made up pioneer Milwaukee County. Its original borders were Lake Michigan, 27th Street, Greenfield Avenue, and College Avenue. The City of Milwaukee annexed large sections of the . . . — Map (db m49613) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Complex
Erected in 1878 and designated in 1967 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43012) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Turner Hall
Designed by Henry C. Koch, erected in 1882-83, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural, cultural, and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m40942) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Valentin Blatz Brewing Company Office Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38621) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Villa Terrace
Erected in 1922 and designated in 1968 as a Landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m84780) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 49 — W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron WorksHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works Designed by A.V. Wiskovil Tour Site 49 1908 — Map (db m75383) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 29 — W.P. Reilly & Bros.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places W.P. Reilly & Bros. Designed by Crane & Barkhausen Tour Site 29 1893 — Map (db m75390) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 36 — Watertown Plank Road
Started in 1848 and completed in 1853, extended 58 miles west from Milwaukee on a course roughly paralleling State Street past the Frederick Miller Plank Road Brewery through Wauwatosa, Pewaukee, and Oconomowoc to Watertown. The $110,000 road of . . . — Map (db m31123) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 20 — William Grossman & Co. Coffee and Tea MillHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places William Grossman & Co. Coffee and tea mill Designed by H. Messmer & Co. Tour Site 20 1903 — Map (db m75396) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 50 — Wirth, Hammel and Co., Horse StablesHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Wirth, Hammel & Co., Horse Stables Designed by H.C. Koch Tour Site 50 1892 — Map (db m74612) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 553 — Wisconsin Soldiers’ Home1864-1867
In April 1864, women of the former West Side Soldiers’ Aid Society opened a temporary Civil War Soldiers’ Home at this location. By May 1867, the home’s Lady Managers had welcomed 21,550 Union soldiers, given medical care to over 1,000, and provided . . . — Map (db m77417) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 284 — Wisconsin's Oldest NewspaperThe Milwaukee Sentinel
The Milwaukee Sentinel has chronicled the events of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the world longer than any other newspaper in the state. Founded as a weekly on June 27, 1837 by Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee’s first mayor, the Sentinel was first published . . . — Map (db m32369) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Womens Club of Wisconsin
Erected in 1888 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m54649) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Wood National Cemetery Civil War Memorial
In memory of comrades buried in this home cemetery 1861 - 1865 The Union Forever N.W.B.N.H. for D.V.S. Jan. 1903 — Map (db m38439) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Wood National Cemetery Memorial Section
"The markers in this memorial area honor veterans whose remains have not been recovered or identified, were buried at sea, donated to science, or cremated and the ashes scattered." — Map (db m38437) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 23 — Young Saddlery Company AdditionHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 23
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Tharinger & Bruecker in 1924 Tour Site 23 1896 — Map (db m38519) HM

189 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.