|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
|Natural Bridge Markers
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Natural Bridge — George Washington|
|Around 1750, while surveying
Natural Bridge, George
Washington carved his initials
under the bridge's arch.
His initials can still be seen
today, directly across Cedar
Creek and 23 feet up. — Map (db m11082) HM|
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Natural Bridge — A 72 — Natural Bridge|
|Natural Bridge holds a unique place in American history as one of the natural wonders and first tourist attractions in the New World. Artists and illustrators popularized its image. This natural semielliptical arch is made of limestone carved by nature over millions of years and is approximately 200 feet high. The Monacan Indians held the site sacred and worshiped there. Thomas Jefferson obtained a land grant on 5 July 1774 to preserve it and to ensure the public could visit it. Natural Bridge . . . — Map (db m48) HM|
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Natural Bridge — Natural Bridge — Time Out for Touring — Hunter's Raid|
|(Preface): On May 26, 1864, Union Gen. David Hunter marched south from Cedar Creek near Winchester to drive out Confederate forces, lay waste to the Shenandoah Valley, and destroy transportation facilities at Lynchburg. His raid was part of Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s strategy to attack Confederates simultaneously throughout Virginia. After defeating Gen. William “Grumble” Jones at Piedmont on June 5, Hunter marched to Lexington, burned Virginia Military Institute, and headed to . . . — Map (db m33398) HM|
|Virginia (Rockbridge County), Natural Bridge — Z 129 — Rockbridge County / Botetourt County|
Area 616 Square Miles
Formed in 1778 from Augusta and Botetourt, and named for the Natural Bridge. Samuel Houston and Cyrus H. McCormick were born in this county. Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson are buried in Lexington. Washington and Lee University and the Virginia Military Institute are there.
Area 548 Square Miles
Formed in 1769 from Augusta, and named for Lord Botetourt, Governor of . . . — Map (db m55788) HM|
2006–2016, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us
in 414 ms.