|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — American Elm — Ulmus americana — Height to 70' (21 m), Zone 2-10|
Native to Eastern N. America. Planted widely for shade and shelterbelts as one of the most popular trees of the city streets, lawns, and parks. However, it is no longer the "famous shade tree" of the past, nor widely recommended. The Dutch elm disease was introduced accidentally about 1930 killing millions of trees, and changing the landscape of much of the country. This native elm is being replaced by less susceptible introduced species and by improved varieties.
State tree of . . . — Map (db m59961) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — And Jesus Wept — John 11|
On April 19, 1995 at 9:02 a.m., a bomb exploded just a few hundred feet east of here. In that instant and the ensuing calamity, 168 people were known to be killed. Devastation covered this area. The parish house which stood on this corner was demolished and Saint Joseph Old Cathedral was severely damaged.
In the Sacred Scriptures Jesus is seen as weeping over Jerusalem, soon to be destroyed. He wept for those whose lives would be lost. In the shortest verse of the Bible, Jesus weeps over . . . — Map (db m60345) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — As Long As The Waters Flow — Dedication Ceremonies|
Honoring the centuries-old presence and contribution of
Native Americans to Oklahoma
State Capitol Rotunda Sunday, June 4, 1989
Master of Ceremonies
State Senator Enoch Kelly Haney, Seminole Creek
Allan Houser (Haozous),
[List of Participants]
Unveiling Ceremony - Flag Plaza
Traditional Cedar Smoke Blessing
George 'Woogee' Watchetaker,
Comanche Medicine Man
The ceremony was attended by more than one thousand guests, . . . — Map (db m60269) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Building Occupants|
Engraved in the paving behind you are the emblems of the seventeen federal agencies and the three non-federal tenants that occupied the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building on April 19, 1995.
For their contributions and losses they are remembered. — Map (db m60294) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Central High School|
Erected in 1910 as Oklahoma High School, at that time the city's only high school, this Gothic style building was a source of great civic pride. Many future leaders were educated here. — Map (db m60387) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Children's Area|
Children were a significant part of the worldwide response in April 1995, responding with words of encouragement and messages of hope - for Rescue Workers specifically - and Oklahomans in general. Thousands of ceramic tiles were sent to Oklahoma in 1995. A sampling of those tiles is now a permanent part of the Oklahoma City National Memorial. — Map (db m60361) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Flags Flown Over Oklahoma|
Royal Standard of Spain
Great Union of Great Britain
Carolina Land Grant
Royal Standard of France
LaSalle Claimed the Territory
Drained by the Mississippi
of the Spanish Empire
Ceded by France to Spain,
Treaty of Paris
Standard of the
Province of Louisiana
Re-ceded by . . . — Map (db m60393) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — George Washington Elm Tree|
Washington first took command of the American Army under the Grandparent of this Elm at Cambridge, Mass.
July 3, 1775.
Raised and presented by Maryland D.A.R., marked by Oklahoma D.A.R.,
This tree is planted as part of the 200th Anniversary of the Birth of George Washington.
1732 - 1932 — Map (db m59958) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Journal Record Building South Wall|
The south wall of the Journal Record Building directly faced the blast's impact and was heavily damaged by the April 19, 1995 bombing. Parts of the south wall were separated from the floor beams, and the arched section of the building's roof was lifted up by the blast and fell to the ground.
The jagged brick edge across the top of the wall shows where the roof broke away from the building.
Structural repairs were made and a new roof installed. However, the south face with its broken . . . — Map (db m60378) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Kaiser's Ice Cream Parlour|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m59989) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Bombing Children's Memorial — In Memoriam|
Nineteen Little Boys And Girls Killed In The OKC Bombing
April 19, 1995
"He took them up in his arms...."
Mark 10:16 (KJV)
Painting: Alice Murray — Map (db m60381) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Bombing Responders' Memorial — We Salute And Honor You — America's Worst Crime - Oklahoma's Darkest Hour|
April 19, 1995
The grateful citizens of Oklahoma hereby express their gratitude to all Protective and Rescue Personnel, who amid death, danger, darkness and depression, rendered superb service above and beyond the call of duty. They were firemen, lawmen, nurses, doctors, paramedics, ministers, counselors, and many, amny more.
"You were wearied with the length of your way, but you did not say, "It is hopeless'; you found new life for your strength, and so you were not faint."
Isaiah 57:10 (RSV) — Map (db m60382) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum|
| [Excerpts from marker]
This 24,000 square foot Museum exhibit tells the story of the April 19, 1995, bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building. You hear the explosion, see the devastation immediately following and learn from family members of those killed, survivors and rescue workers - in their own words - about the recovery and rebuilding.
Powerful video programs, moving oral histories, damaging artifacts and touching stories make the Memorial Museum an unforgettable experience. . . . — Map (db m60376) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum — Site Before Bombing • Site Today|
Before April 19, 1995, the two-block area between NW 4th and 6th Streets and Robinson and Harvey Avenues served as the northern edge of the downtown core. This area was a workplace to hundreds of people.
5th Street ran through the area where the Reflecting Pool now sits. During construction of the Memorial, the east side of the grounds had to be lowered 11 feet; the west side was raised approximately seven feet to compensate for the grade change from east to west, and to create a . . . — Map (db m60377) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma City Oil Field|
Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field Discovery Well brought in December 4, 1928, approximately six miles southeast of this marker.
From such beginning, sprawling Oklahoma City Oil and Gas Field became one of world's major oil producing areas, ranking eighth in nation during first forty years of existence. In this time Field yielded 733,543,000 barrels of oil.
Discovery and development of Oklahoma City Oil Field added great stability to economy of both Oklahoma City and State of Oklahoma -- . . . — Map (db m59947) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma State Seal|
| "This state seal was displayed at the entrance of the Oklahoma exhibit at the New York World's Fair 1964-1965" — Map (db m60268) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Oklahoma Timeline — Centennial Memorial Plaza of the Oklahomans|
| 18,000BC • Native Americans Occupy Present-Day Oklahoma
1200 AD • Mississippian Culture Peaks At Spiro Mounds
1541 • Coronado First Europeans To Explore Oklahoma
1750s • Osages Push Wichitas & Caddos To Red River
1803 • Louisiana Purchase Includes Most Of Oklahoma
1817-1842 • Eastern Tribes Removed Over “Trail of Tears”
1821 • Santa Fe Trail & Texas Road Cross Oklahoma
1824 • Ft. Gibson First Fort Established In Oklahoma
1865-1885 • Chisholm Trail & Cattle . . . — Map (db m60212) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Rescuer Orchard|
The Rescuer Orchard is in an area where the Oklahoma Water Resources and Athenian Building once stood. Both sustained heavy damage and required demolition.
The Orchard symbolically "rushes in" from both east and west on the Memorial Grounds towards the Survivor Tree.
This placement was selected as a tribute to the Rescue workers who rushed in to help following the disaster.
Three tree varieties were selected, Oklahoma Redbud, Amur Maple and Chinese Pistache. The Oklahoma Redbud is . . . — Map (db m60359) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — South Entry|
| This was the location of the south entry to the second floor of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building from the plaza level. — Map (db m60302) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — St. Paul's Cathedral|
This building, first opened on Easter Sunday 1904, became the Episcopal Cathedral in 1908. The congregation dates from 1893. — Map (db m60392) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Survivor Tree|
Known today as the "Survivor Tree," this American Elm survived the April 19, 1995 bombing. The Survivor Tree's bark protects it from disease and bugs. Please help us protect the Survivor Tree by not removing bark or placing coins in its bark. We are grateful for donations; however, please help us by placing donations into one of the boxes located around the Memorial Grounds. — Map (db m60281) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Survivor Tree|
This American Elm was surrounded by a parking lot filled with burning vehicles on April 19, 1995. It survived the impact of the explosion and became known as the Survivor Tree, an important symbol of resilience to the family members of those killed, survivors, rescue workers and people around the country. Photographs of this tree date back to the 1920's when it stood in the backyard of a famly's home. — Map (db m60380) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Team 5 Requiem|
We Search For the truth
We Seek Justice.
The Courts Require it.
The Victims Cry for it.
And God Demands it!
A Rescue Worker originally painted the message on this wall during search and recovery efforts in April 1995. The building on which it is painted was a functioning office building when the bomb exploded across the street. Ceilings collapsed, walls fell in and glass shards flew throughout the building. Hundreds of people were injured, many critically. . . . — Map (db m60379) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Team Effort|
Within minutes after 9:02 a.m. on April 19, 1995, this tranquil plaza was transformed into a scene of frantic lifesaving activities. Many individuals became heroes as they joined together to become "First Responder Teams" to pull men, women and children from the bomb-ravaged A.P. Murrah Federal Building.
In less than an hour, a triage center was set up here. During the following fifteen days, this plaza served as one of the command posts and staging areas for over one thousand . . . — Map (db m60295) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — The Field of Empty Chairs|
You are entering the area where the Alfred P. Murrah Building once stood. The granite used on this pathway was salvaged from the Murrah Building. The Field of Empty Chairs is a tribute to the 168 Americans who were killed April 19, 1995. The nine rows represent the nine floors on which they worked or were visiting. The five westernmost Empty Chairs honor those who were killed outside the Murrah Building. — Map (db m60358) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — The Playground|
This grass lawn was the playground for the children's daycare center.
Many children were killed or injured in the building. — Map (db m60282) HM|
|Oklahoma (Oklahoma County), Oklahoma City — Tribute to Range Riders|
This statue was fashioned by
Constance Whitney Warren
Sculptress of Paris, France and New York,
and was presented to
The State of Oklahoma
by this distinguished American Artist
through the solicitation of
Justice Albert C. Hunt
the Supreme Court of Oklahoma,
of New York.
This bronze tribute to the
Romantic Riders of the Range
was unveiled under the direction of
Governor W. J. Holloway
Oklahoma's Own, Will Rogers . . . — Map (db m59952) HM|