|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — "Among the Valiant"|
| American servicemen have displayed exemplary courage in all our nation's wars. They have sacrificed their time, their energy, given their blood and thousands their lives, to help keep America free.
This flag is a special tribute to the Medal of Honor recipients from Omaha and Douglas County, men who have shown uncommon valor in the service of their country.
Parle, John Joseph
Ens., USNR, Sicily • 10 July 1943
PFC, USMCR, Korea • 14 Sept. 1951
Hibbs, Robert . . . — Map (db m35168) WM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Alfred Sorenson — 1850 - 1939|
| Alfred Sorenson, the doyen of Omaha newspapermen, was a picturesque figure familiar around Omaha. His varied career led him to seek the offices of U.S. Senator twice and Congressman once. He was unsuccessful all three times, but remarked that he did it merely for "the joy of running and advertising."
Mr. Sorenson was born near Milwaukee, Wisconsin, educated at Racine College, and then graduated from Harvard Law School in 1870. He came to Omaha in 1871, joined the Omaha Bee, and in . . . — Map (db m58237) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Andrew Jackson Poppleton — (1830 - 1896)|
| Andrew was born on July 25, 1830, in Oakland County, Michigan, one of seven children, and was reared on a farm. His father, William, had served in the Continental Army during the American Revolution. Andrew attended the University of Michigan, and in 1851 graduated from Union College in Schenectady, New York. He was admitted to the bar in 1852 and practiced law in Detroit until he came to Omaha in October of 1854. He was married in 1855 to Caroline Sears; they had 3 children.
Before 1857, . . . — Map (db m58201) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot 1887 — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| Omaha was a rich brew of immigrants, and many brought with them a well-developed taste for hops, giving rise to a half-dozen local breweries in the late 19th century. In 1887, Anheuser-Busch of St. Louis built a distribution complex in Omaha, designed by Henry Voss in the Romanesque style. The existing office building is all that remains of four buildings, which also included a stable, the bottling department, and a combination beer vault and icehouse. The complex had a refrigeration capacity . . . — Map (db m35267) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Baum Iron Company Building 1880 — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| This building has carried the Baum Iron name since the company purchased and occupied the property in 1905. Baum Iron Company was established in 1857 and was originally across the street. At one time this firm was the largest wholesaler of iron products in the Midwest, dealing in iron, steel, and heavy hardware, and doing business in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, Utah, and Wyoming. The cast iron storefront for the structure in the Italianate style was made in St. Louis and assembled on . . . — Map (db m31368) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Birthsite of Gerald R. Ford|
| 38th President
of the United States
“My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works. Our Great Republic is a government of laws and not of men.
Here, the People rule…”
President Ford’s Inaugural Address
August 9, 1974
President Gerald R. Ford
visited this site during construction May 7, 1976
dedicated it to the People of Omaha Sept. 21, 1977
[Roll of U.S. Presidents] — Map (db m58089) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Boys Town Veterans Memorial|
Dedicated to Boys Town's
sons & daughters who
have served their country in the
Boys Town Alumni
who gave the
Ask not what your country can do for you
ask what you can do for your country — Map (db m58573) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 447 — Buffalo Bill at the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition and Indian Congress of 1898|
|William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody held the first official performance of his Wild West show just half a mile northeast of here on May 19, 1883. Eight thousand people attended the premiere at the Omaha Driving Park near Eighteenth and Sprague streets. That site later featured a local wild west show as part of Omaha's 1898 Trans-Mississippi Exposition. Cody brought his Wild West back to Omaha for the exposition, and August 31 was designated “Cody Day.” Buffalo Bill had become . . . — Map (db m33040) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 30 — Capitol Hill|
|This site on Capitol Hill was for a decade the location of Nebraska's second territorial capitol. The building was erected here in 1857 and 1858 and served until the seat of government was removed to Lincoln in 1868.
Acting-Governor Cuming designated Omaha as the Capital of Nebraska Territory by convening the First Territorial Legislature in Omaha on January 16, 1855. It met in a small two story brick building donated by the Council Bluffs and Nebraska Ferry Company and located on Ninth . . . — Map (db m33415) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 428 — Captain William Clark and Private Reuben Field|
|On July 27, 1804, Lewis and Clark's Corps of Discovery left their “White Catfish” camp and proceeded up the Missouri River. After traveling some distance, Clark “took one man R. Field and walked on Shore with a View of Examoning Som mounds” on the Nebraska side. He found the mounds “of Deffirent hight Shape & Size, Som Composed of Sand Some earth & sand....all of which covered about 200 acres.” The mounds may have been the remains of earthlodges, which served . . . — Map (db m32964) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 220 — Central High School|
|The first session of Omaha High School, now Central High School, was held on November 10, 1859, in Nebraska's territorial capitol on Ninth Street between Douglas and Farnam. Following the removal of the territorial government from Omaha, Nebraska's last territorial capitol at Twentieth and Dodge Streets was donated to the city by the state in 1869 for educational use. The old building, declared unsafe, was razed in 1870 and replaced by a red-brick, four-story structure in 1872. The first class . . . — Map (db m33252) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Congregation of Israel - 1884|
|Jews have been part of Nebraska’s social, economic and political life since the mid 1800’s.
It was not until 1871 that the small Jewish community in Omaha grew large enough to organize and formally found Congregation of Israel.
On Sept. 9, 1884, Congregation of Israel, dedicated the first permanent Jewish house of worship in the State of Nebraska, near this site, at 2320 Harney Str. In 1908, the growing congregation built and moved to a new house of worship at Park Ave. & . . . — Map (db m40743) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 210 — Crook House|
|On April 27, 1875, General George A. Crook assumed command of the Department of the Platte, which then included Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, and part of Montana and Idaho. When the headquarters was shifted from downtown Omaha to Fort Omaha (Omaha Barracks) in 1878, Crook first lived in wooden quarters. An Army authorization for new quarters was approved on June 18, 1878, and this two-story brick structure, Italianate in style, was completed in 1879. The use of troop labor reduced its cost to . . . — Map (db m33113) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Dundee Memorial Park Streetcar Wall|
| Dundee, Omaha's first suburb, was connected to downtown by the streetcar. Dundee was literally the end-of-the-line. The streetcars reversed their course just west of this site. In 1891, a steam driven "trolley" and then a horse-drawn car brought people free of charge to the new neighborhood. In 1892, the line changed to electricity and began to charge a nickel for the ride downtown. The streetcar's reliable transportation to jobs and shopping helped the neighborhood grow. During the 1950s, . . . — Map (db m58356) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Father Flanagan Historic House|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m58484) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 226 — Father Flanagan's Boys' Home — (The Original "Boys Town")|
| Boys Town was founded as a home and school for homeless, abandoned, neglected or otherwise underprivileged boys, regardless of color or creed, by Father Edward J. Flanagan (1886-1948) on December 10, 1917. The first Father Flanagan's Boy's Home at 25th and Dodge Streets in Omaha, Nebraska, sheltered five boys...three from the Juvenile Court and two homeless newsboys.
On October 17, 1921, Father Flanagan brought Overlook Farm outside Omaha, nucleus of today's Boys Town campus. From here . . . — Map (db m53109) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First Lady Betty Ford|
| Betty Ford
this Rose Garden
to the People of Omaha
July 12, 1980 — Map (db m58062) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — First Mass in Omaha|
This plaque commemorates
the First Holy Sacrifice
of the Mass celebrated in
Omaha Nebraska - May 14, 1855
Father William Emonds
Erected May 1959 — Map (db m35184) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Fort Lisa|
|Built near this site in 1807 by Manuel Lisa, trader and indian commissioner, through whose influence the Omaha, Pawnee, Ponca, Otoe and Sioux tribes remained loyal to the United States during the War of 1812. — Map (db m7892) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 75 — Fort Omaha|
|A military post was first established here in 1868 and named Sherman Barracks after the famous Civil War general, William Tecumseh Sherman. The post's name was soon changed to Omaha Barracks and, in 1878, to Fort Omaha. In 1879, General George Crook, noted Indian fighter and head (1875-1882, 1886-1888) of the Army's Department of the Platte, occupied a new brick home here, which is still standing.|
By the late 1880's, the 80-some acres of Fort Omaha had become insufficient for the Army's . . . — Map (db m33057) HM
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 4 — Fort Omaha Balloon School — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Until after World War I, no other method equaled a soldier’s ability to send intelligence information directly to the ground by telephone from an observation balloon.
Fort Omaha entered America’s balloon and aviation history in April 1909 when the first free balloon, inflated with hydrogen gas, started a journey with Captain Charles Chandler, pilot, and Lieutenant J. Ware, passenger. They made a good landing in Iowa but lost the bag when a static discharge set it on fire.
The army soon . . . — Map (db m58151) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 10 — Fort Omaha Fire Station — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Originally a filtration plant constructed in 1912, this building was remodeled and enlarged to become the Post Exchange Building in 1923. All incoming or outgoing calls, whether emergency or routine, would pass through the Post switchboard housed here.
The building’s capacity for handling emergencies was enhanced when it became the Post fire station. The framework of a previous double doorway on the south end of the building shows remodeling to accommodate fire equipment. In addition, for . . . — Map (db m58118) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 8 — Fort Omaha Guardhouse — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| To maintain discipline among a large garrison, Fort Omaha commanders strictly followed the military code of the frontier era. Facing occasional problems with drunkenness, insubordination, fighting and desertion, officers were quick to punish offenders before disorder spread.
Minor infractions of regulations usually were handled within the company by assigning extra work detail or restricting soldiers to their quarters. More serious offenders were subject to heavy fines, pay stoppages, long . . . — Map (db m58122) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 14 — Fort Omaha Headquarters Building — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Constructed in 1906, this double barracks building housed noncommissioned officers of the U.S. Army Signal Corps, which had reactivated Fort Omaha in 1905. During World War I, this building served as South Post Headquarters for the Army’s first balloon training school. In 1929 it became Staff Officers Headquarters of the Seventh Corps Area. Between 1933 and the end of World War II, the building served the dual roles of barracks and Post Commissary.
In 1947 the Army transferred command of . . . — Map (db m58106) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 13 — Fort Omaha Hospital — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Maintaining the health and well-being of soldiers at Fort Omaha was accomplished only after overcoming serious obstacles.
One such obstacle was the shortage of potable water. By 1869 only two of the Fort’s wells were considered safe for drinking. The failure of newly dug wells resulted in the use of cistern water, and daily fatigue duty included the hauling and distribution of water. Weather permitting, men would bathe in the nearby Missouri River.
The first hospital, constructed on the . . . — Map (db m58090) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 6 — Fort Omaha Knights of Columbus Assembly Hall — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| During World War I, citizen participation in relief and aid societies was exceptional across America. Omaha’s Red Cross chapter led all cities in the country in per capita membership.
In addition to the Red Cross providing a canteen at Fort Omaha, the Knights of Columbus and the YMCA both constructed recreation halls for soldiers. The YMCA began its work in 1917, and the Knights of Columbus in 1918. They provided athletic games, educational classes, lectures, musical entertainment, picture . . . — Map (db m58149) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 3 — Fort Omaha Officers Row — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Built in 1906, Fort Omaha’s “Officers Row” typifies the architecture appropriate for officers’ residences on an army post in the early 20th century. Large and impressively formal, the houses lack elaborate exterior decoration characteristic of residences of similar size which prosperous civilians built throughout Omaha.
The simplicity of Officers Row expresses government and taxpayer pressure to keep within budget limitations. The restrained classic lines of each house reflects . . . — Map (db m58156) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 9 — Fort Omaha Post Exchange and Gymnasium — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| In 1880, nearly a dozen years after Fort Omaha was established, indoor hot and cold water bathing facilities were installed – three shower rooms for enlisted men and one for officers. By the end of the 19th century a new attitude towards the health and welfare of soldiers prevailed. Men eagerly seized opportunities to compete in gymnastics, baseball, basketball and tennis.
During World War I, community interest in the Balloon School resulted in the construction of a YMCA canteen at . . . — Map (db m58120) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 12 — Fort Omaha Quartermaster Depot — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Even after the 1869 completion of the transcontinental railroad, the Army relied on mules and wagons to outfit its isolated posts. The Department of the Platte, headquartered at Fort Omaha, paid over $700,000 to acquire and transport troops and freight.
Most of the freight, often purchased from Omaha businessmen, passed through the Omaha Quartermaster Depot. Supplies for the 1876 Little Big Horn campaign against the Sioux moved up the Missouri River from Omaha to General Crook in Wyoming. . . . — Map (db m58107) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Gallagher Building — 1888|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m58000) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 2 — General Crook's Headquarters at Fort Omaha — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Upon the recommendation of Lt. General William T. Sherman, in 1866 the Adjutant General’s office created the Department of the Platte which included present-day Iowa, Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah, Montana and a portion of southeastern Idaho. As departmental headquarters, Fort Omaha presided over supply and administration posts across this territory and coordinated campaigns against the Sioux, Northern Cheyenne, Nez Perce and Ute.
In 1870 the War Department authorized 14 permanent posts under . . . — Map (db m58154) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Hanscom Park Flower Garden|
Land for Hanscom Park was donated in 1872 by Andrew J. Hanscom and James Megeath. Improvements including flower beds, lakes, cascades and fountains greatly changed the site’s rugged character. In time, the park was referred to as “one of the four most beautiful parks in the United States.”
The flower garden and original greenhouse date back to the early 1890’s. The 1892 Park Commissioner’s Report related that “a belt of pine trees was planted on the northwest side of . . . — Map (db m57998) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Hanscom Park Lagoon|
Hanscom Park, Omaha’s oldest remaining park, was designed by landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland in 1889. Early improvements were described in the 1898 Park Commissioner’s Report: “Two lakes, a cascade, extensive flower beds, two and one-half miles of macadamized roadway, fountains and a magnificent growth of forest trees make this the only finished park in the city.” It was “the most beautiful of our parks located in the center of the most fashionable and highest-priced . . . — Map (db m57979) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 287 — Historic Prospect Hill -- Omaha's Pioneer Cemetery|
| Founded in 1858 by Byron Reed, early Omaha real estate developer and financier, Prospect Hill is the final resting place for over 15,000 citizens. While burial permit #1 was issued for Territorial Legislator Alonzo Salisbury on October 4, 1858, many were already buried here in the Cedar Hills and Omaha City Cemeteries, parts of which are within today's Prospect Hill boundaries.
Many prominent Omahans lie here. They gave their names to Omaha streets, schools and churches, and to many . . . — Map (db m53108) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 1 — History of Fort Omaha — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| As a result of a major confrontation from 1866-1868 between the U.S. Army and the Lakota (Sioux), the U.S. government signed a treaty agreeing that the Army would abandon several posts along the Bozeman Trail. By this time, the Union Pacific had also reached the Rockies, so the Army began planning for a single post to replace those abandoned. The new post would be a place where troops could be wintered and sent out by rail whenever needed.
Recognizing the potential for economic growth, . . . — Map (db m58157) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — J.P. Cooke Building 1885-1889 — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| Omaha's first municipal swimming pool, "The New Natatorium," originated in the basement of the westernmost of these three buildings; and vestiges of it can still be seen there. The ornamental work at the building's top announces that E. Homan Thayer constructed it in 1889. The cast iron facade is considered a classic, and the immense windows suggest the then-contemporary development of the curtain wall and skyscraper in Chicago. Skinner Manufacturing's first plant was located here briefly in . . . — Map (db m35190) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — James G. Megeath — 1824 - 1906|
| Born in Virginia in 1824, James Megeath was the eldest of 10 children. By age 20, he had become a cattle and sheep trader. Struck by gold fever, he went to Calaveras County, California, in 1851, operating a general merchantise store for three years. Enroute back to Virginia in 1854, he visited Omaha and saw its potential for the future. By 1857, he was operating a general merchandise store in Omaha with his brother, Samuel, and his brother-in-law, W. S. Richards, becoming sole owner by 1867. . . . — Map (db m58234) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — James M. Woolworth — 1829 - 1906|
| Born in 1829 in Onondaga County, New York, Mr. Woolworth graduated with high honors from Hamilton College in 1849, and took up the study of law. After two years practicing in Syracuse, New York, he determined to go west and locate in the new community of Omaha City, Nebraska Territory, arriving on October 31, 1856.
A successful attorney, he became the first Omaha City attorney in 1859, following the city's incorporation. Also involved in politics, he served in the Nebraska Territorial . . . — Map (db m58345) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Johan and Sophia Ahmanson — (1827 - 1891) and (18? - 1894)|
| Johan Ahmanson was born on April 7, 1827, in Smaland, Sweden. At age six he was taken to live with a farmer, for whom he worked until age eighteen. He became a master bookbinder and emigrated to Denmark in 1849. There he was recruited by the Mormons, who sent him to Norway as a missionary. While in jail there for his religious activities, the jailer's daughter, Greta Sophia Fielstad, fell in love with him. Upon his release from jail, she followed him to Copenhagen, where they married in 1853. . . . — Map (db m58207) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — John Pierrre Cabanne's|
|John Pierre Cabanne's pioneer fur-trading post was 385 feet southeast of this spot. — Map (db m7893) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — John Wesley Nichols — 1839 - 1910|
| John Wesley Nichols was born January 28, 1839, in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, to Samuel and Katharine Maxwell Nichols. Little is known of his early years. In 1860 he married Sarah Elizabeth Dearborn, also born in Crawford County.
Nichols joined the Union Army on August 15, 1862, and served as a private in Captain Huidekoper's Company, subsequently Co. K, 150th Regiment Pennsylvania Infantry, also known as "The President's Bodyguard." He was mustered out with the company and honorably . . . — Map (db m58277) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Joseph Francis Bauman — 1822 - 1876|
| Born in Germany, Joseph Francis Bauman came to Omaha in the early 1860s. Like many others, he may have been escaping the wars that plagued Central Europe at that time. In 1863, with his partner John Green, he purchased a brewery from a Mr. McCombe that occupied nearly all the block from 6th to 7th and Leavenworth Streets. Brewing beer to serve the thirsty settlers was big business in the frontier town. In 1864, he sold the company to Metz & Brothers, who later moved their operation to 3rd and . . . — Map (db m58338) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 340 — Lewis and Clark Campsite — July 27, 1804|
|At the camp established very near here Captain Clark wrote about the "butifull Breeze from the N W. this evening which would have been verry agreeable, had the Misquiters been tolerably Pacifick, but thy were rageing all night." Clark may have exaggerated when he noted that the mosquitoes were as big as house flies. They would continue to plague the explorers until winter. That evening Clark and Ruben Fields "walked on Shore with a View of examoning Som mounds." Although the mounds were . . . — Map (db m7886) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 310 — Malcolm “X”|
|El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz was born Malcolm Little at University Hospital in Omaha, Nebraska, May 19, 1925. He was the son of Earl and Louise Little, 3448 Pinkney Street. Reverend Little helped organize the Universal Negro Improvement Association. After threats by night riders, the family moved to Milwaukee and later to Michigan, where Reverend Little allegedly was murdered. During his mother's illness, Malcolm was sent to Boston, then to New York, where he committed burglary. While serving a six . . . — Map (db m33050) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Millard Block 1880-1881 — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| Omaha capitalist Ezra Millard, a former mayor of Omaha and the man for whom a western suburb was named, erected the four-story Millard Block in 1880-81. The first tenants were Tootle, Maul & Co., wholesale dry goods; Reed, Jones & Co., boots and shoes; and W.L. Parrotte & Co., hats and caps. But by the beginning of the 20th century, the busy factory of the F.P. Kirkendall Boot Company was established here. It was once the world's largest producer of riding boots, supplying them to such . . . — Map (db m35273) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Morse Coe Building — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| Architects Findley and Shields designed this five-story brick, built in 1892-93 for $40,000. Footwear wholesalers W.V. Morse & Co. and Charles A. Coe and Company combined to manufacture a thousand shoes daily here, with sales focused on the western half of the country. By 1900, Morse had taken over the business and used the first three floors for wholesale boot business and rented the upper floors to the Byrne and Hammer Dry Goods Company for the manufacture of textiles. Throughout the years, . . . — Map (db m35266) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Msgr. Edward Joseph Flanagan — Leabeg, Ballymoe — 13 July 1886 - 15 May 1948|
Founder of Boys Town
Omaha, Nebraska, U.S.A.
"The work will continue, you see,
whether I am there or not,
because it is God's work, not mine."
Msgr. Edward J. Flanagan
Mol an oige
agus tiocfaidh si
Ni neart go cur le cheile
Unveiled by Fr. Val Peter
5th October 2002
Sculptor - Fred Hoppe
Nebraska U.S.A. — Map (db m58482) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 5 — Observation Balloon Training at Fort Omaha — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| After nine years of inactivity, Fort Omaha reopened in 1905 as a school for noncommissioned Signal Corps officers. A structure to house the army’s only dirigible (balloon airship) was completed in 1908, and the first dirigible flew in April 1909. Four years later all personnel and property were transferred to Fort Leavenworth.
Under threat of world war, Fort Omaha was reactivated in 1916 to house a Balloon School led by Captain Charles Chandler. In 1919 Florence Field, 119 acres about . . . — Map (db m58150) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Firefighters Memorial — Honor • Tradition|
| As pioneers settled in small towns and villages across Nebraska, the shout of “Fire” summoned fear and panic in every person who heard it. If they were lucky, bucket brigades could save part of a burning building and its surrounding structures.
By 1860, seven years before Nebraska became a state, the Pioneer Hook and Ladder Company was established to keep the City of Omaha safe in case of fire. These dedicated volunteers went from using hand-drawn to horse-drawn fire wagons and . . . — Map (db m58037) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Firehouse 1903-1904 — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| In 1903, George Fisher and Harry Lawrie designed Fire Substation No. 1 in the then-popular Chateauesque style. The gabled third floor gave the building the look of a French chateau. On April 9, 1917, firefighters were sunning themselves out front when a bystander rushed to tell them that their building was on fire. The two-alarm fire destroyed the third floor, which housed the hayloft for the horse-drawn engines. The top of the building was removed, and it was remodeled with a new maintenance . . . — Map (db m35244) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Omaha Union Station|
No other improvement...can
equal in utility the railroad.
March 9, 1832
Dedicated by the railways of Omaha
to the service, comfort and
convenience of the people — Map (db m35264) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — On The Wings of Angels 9/11 Memorial|
Dedicated September 11, 2007
in honor of the
Victims and Heroes
of September 11, 2001
Created by Littleton Alston — Map (db m35166) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 11 — Ordnance Magazine — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| This small, tin-roofed building hardly suggests its central role in the mission of the officers and troops once stationed at Fort Omaha. Constructed in 1883-84, the ordnance magazine was the chief storage place for weapons and ammunition.
It was General Crook’s intention to maintain an army of “soldiers fit for combat – not for parade,” and his successors continued to regularly train their men to be accurate marksmen.
Nickel-plated Colt revolvers, Springfield, . . . — Map (db m58117) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — People, Places, and Stories|
| The joint efforts of many individuals and groups – among them military men and scientists, a president and an enslaved man, French-speaking boatmen and American Indians, women and men – determined the fate of the Corps of Discovery. Today, more than 100 groups work with the National Park Service to share the stories of the Expedition and to preserve the resources of the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail. Partners include a diverse group of federal agencies, tribal nations, . . . — Map (db m57978) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Preserving Our Heritage|
The Midwest Regional Office, located in Omaha since 1937, assists NPS sites across the heartland of the United States. Inside this building, more than 200 people – from architects to wildland fire managers – work to sustain the heritage of all Americans: our national park system.
About the Midwest Region
The Midwest Region of the National Park Service includes 13 states: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, . . . — Map (db m57970) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — President Gerald R. Ford|
| The 38th President
of the United States
revisited this site
July 12, 1980 — Map (db m58061) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — President's House|
| In August 1905, the Fort Omaha post was reestablished with a new mission. The War Department designated Fort Omaha as a place of instruction for the technical duties in connection with the Signal Corps of the Army. With this change, the War Department allocated funding for new buildings at Fort Omaha to accommodate four [S]ignal [C]orps companies. One of the designated new buildings was a single non-commissioned officers' quarters. The 4,700 sq. ft., three story brick home was completed on . . . — Map (db m58158) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 7 — Quartermaster's Office and Commissary — Fort Omaha Walking Tour|
| Throughout the frontier era, the Quartermaster’s Department oversaw post construction, supply procurement and transportation. It worked closely with the Subsistence Department which purchased and assigned rations. To both agencies, Fort Omaha represented the best distribution site for the Department of the Platte because the nearby city of Omaha provided ample food, livestock and building materials to isolated western posts via three railroad lines.
In 1866 the War Department ordered . . . — Map (db m58131) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Right Reverend Monsignor Edward J. Flanagan — 1886 - 1948|
In memory of
Rt. Rev. Monsignor
Edward J. Flanagan
Founder of Boys Town and
Recipient of Variety Clubs
First Humanitarian Award
"There is no such thing as a bad boy" — Map (db m58481) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Site of Union Pacific's Omaha Shops|
| You are standing at the site of the original Union Pacific Omaha Shops.
From this point a railroad was begun that would fulfill a national destiny.
Even before Union Pacific was an American icon, it was an American dream. It was a dream as big, as bold, as heroic as the American president who envisioned it. In 1862 President Abraham Lincoln signed the Pacific Railroad Act that created Union Pacific Railroad and charged it to bind the nation, east to west, with a ribbon of . . . — Map (db m58038) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Spanish-American War Memorial — erected 1900|
| This beautiful monument to the soldiers of the Spanish-American War was erected in 1900 by the Lee Forby Encampment #1 of the Spanish-American War Veterans.
Captain Lee Forby, born January 3, 1871, was wounded at the Battle of San Francisco del Norte [sic - Monte], and died near Manila, Philippine Islands, on March 28, 1899.
Names of others who died with Captain Forby are engraved on the east side of the monument, which notes their unit's original name, Company L. However, when Company . . . — Map (db m58332) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Territory and State of Nebraska|
Nebraska, originally part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803, became a territory of the United States Government in 1854 when Congress passed the Kansas-Nebraska Act. The Nebraska Territory included parts of Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Colorado and Wyoming. Nebraska became the 37th State on March 1, 1867. — Map (db m58063) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The City of Omaha, Nebraska|
The settlement of Omaha began in 1854 with the opening of the Nebraska Territory. The following year Omaha was selected as the Nebraska Territorial capital. Omaha was incorporated as a city in 1857. The capital was moved from Omaha to Lincoln in 1867 when Nebraska became a state. Today, Omaha is the largest city in the State of Nebraska.
Mayors of Omaha
[not transcribed] — Map (db m58060) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Right Reverend & Mrs Robert Harper Clarkson|
In loving memory of The Right Reverend
Robert Harper Clarkson
(1826 - 1884)
Bishop of Nebraska and Dakota Territories
First Episcopal Bishop of the State of Nebraska
Founder of Trinity Cathedral
Founder and Sponsor of Nebraska's Oldest Hospital,
Bishop Clarkson Memorial Hospital
and his wife
Meliora McPherson Clarkson
(1827 - 1902)
Garden design by
Schlott, Farrington & Associates
Landscape Architects — Map (db m35188) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Road to Omaha|
College World Series of Omaha, Inc.
to the City of Omaha
June 7, 1999
In Celebration of 50 Years of NCAA
Division I Baseball Championship Games
John Lajba, Sculptor
Moved from its Original Location
At Omaha’s Johnny Rosenblatt Stadium
Rededicated at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha
To Continue the Great Traditions
Of the College World Series
June 15, 2011 — Map (db m57999) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — The Securities Building — 1917|
has been placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
in conjunction with the
City of Omaha
for the betterment
of the community
— Map (db m35140) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 406 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898|
|At this site in 1898, Omaha hosted the Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition.
Following the model of other “world's fairs,” the exposition highlighted the “Progress of the
West,” drawing over 2.5 million admissions.|
The exposition grounds encompassed an area from Ames to Binney, and 13th to 24th Streets.
The Grand Court, from 16th to 24th Streets between Pinkney and Pratt, featured magnificent,
though temporary, buildings around a five-block-long . . . — Map (db m33018) HM
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — 400 — Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition of 1898|
|In 1898, following the financial panic of 1893 and the droughts of 1894-95, a world-class
exposition was held in Omaha under the guidance of Gurdon W. Wattles and other civic leaders.
The Trans-Mississippi and International Exposition emulated earlier “world's fairs” such as at
Chicago in 1893. Twenty-nine states, three territories, and eleven foreign countries were
Exhibits illustrated the “Progress of the West” after the presumed closing of the . . . — Map (db m33044) HM
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Trinity Episcopal Cathedral|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m35186) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Union Walk|
This Union Walk is a reminder to all of our citizens, as well as a salute to the unionized men and women from all walks of life, who invested their energy, the sweat of their brow, and sometimes even their lives to forge a better life for themselves and their families. The Omaha / Council Bluffs metropolitan community is a better place because of the contributions of every one of the unions whose plaques grace this walk, as well as many of the others that came before us. Let us never . . . — Map (db m63498) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — William Davis Brown — 1813 - 1868|
| William Brown is credited as Omaha's founder (although not its first settler). He operated a Missouri River ferry from Council Bluffs and was a principal in the company that first developed the Omaha townsite.
Mr. Brown came west as a young man with California gold in mind. Born in Kentucky, he migrated to Iowa, where he served as a town sheriff and met his wife, Martha. They arrived in Council Bluffs in 1850, expecting to continue west. But Brown had a practical side, and he could see . . . — Map (db m58275) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — William Henry Jackson — 1843 - 1942|
| From 1867 to 1869 the first photography studio of William Henry Jackson, renowned photographer, artist, and explorer of the Old West, stood on the northwest corner of this block. His autobiography, Time Exposure, reports that in 1869 Omaha had the vitality of "a boom town."
Jackson first crossed Nebraska in 1866 on the Oregon Trail, working as a bullwhacker with a freighting outfit. His sketches of the trip vividly depicted the trail experience. In 1870 he joined the Hayden . . . — Map (db m35193) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Windsor Hotel — The Old Market Historic Walking Tour|
| The Windsor Hotel, designed in the Italianate style, was constructed in two phases – the east wing was completed in 1885, and an addition to the west was finished by 1887. It was designed to be a workingman’s hotel, and with the proximity to both the Union and Burlington train stations, it became known as a railroader’s hotel. Railroad passengers stopped at its restaurant and bar during layovers. The Windsor overlooked the stalls of the noisy open-air public market to its west from 1903 . . . — Map (db m35254) HM|
|Nebraska (Douglas County), Omaha — Woodmen of the World|
| On this site
Woodmen of the World
Life Insurance Society
June 6, 1890 — Map (db m30790) HM|