|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Birthplace of Southern Utah|
to the Birthplace of Southern Utah
January 13, 1851 — Map (db m59581) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 168 — D.U.P. Relic Hall|
|This building, erected in 1866, served the community of Parowan for 52 years as a religious and cultural center. Later it was given by the L.D.S. Church to the Daughters of Utah Pioneers, who in 1939-40 restored the old edifice and in 1949-50 improved the basement. This Pioneer Church is now the meeting place and Pioneer Relic Hall of the Daughters. — Map (db m59614) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 135 — First School House and Council House in Iron County|
|"I commenced a grammar school in my wickiup by the light of the fire and only one grammar book." Diary of George A. Smith, February 25, 1851.
The first school house, 18 x 24 feet, was built west of the Council House and dedicated December 25, 1851. This log Council House, 22 x 45 feet was erected in 1851 with a large stage, and it served as a social center for Iron County until the Rock Church was completed in 1867. — Map (db m59611) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Jesse N. Smith Home|
|Dedicated to the memory of
Mary Aikens Smith
and her sons
Jesse Nathaniel and Silas Sanford
and to the memory of
All the pioneer settlers
who founded Parowan in 1851
Constructed 1856-58 by Jesse N. Smith
Restored 1967 by Jesse N. Smith Family Assn. — Map (db m59602) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Iron-1 — Jesse N. Smith Home — Utah Historic Homes — Century Register|
Jesse N. Smith, 1856-57
Jesse N. Smith Family, 2/3/71
Original portion made of
adobe brick. — Map (db m59603) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — John C. Freemont Memorial|
|Seeking a suitable railroad route through the central Rockies, John C. Freemont and Company reached Parowan February 6, 1854.
These are Freemont's own words, "We were all so feeble we could barely drag ourselves down the trail, but the Mormons took us in, one or two in each home, fed us, and nursed us back to health."
On this spot Freemont himself was nursed back to health by Mrs. John C. L. Smith who later became Mrs. Wm. C. McGregor.
This location was donated to the Sons of The Utah . . . — Map (db m59610) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Memorial to Horace and Hannah Leavitt Fish|
|Early Settlers of Parowan. Horace Fish born 6 Jan 1799 Hatley, Stanstead, Quebec, Son of joseph and Sally Spear Fish. Married Hannah Leavitt on 18 July 1825. Hannah Leavitt born 26 Dec 1850 in Johnsbury, Caledonia County, Vermont, daughter of Jeremiah and Sarah Shannon Leavitt. Hannah was baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1836. Horace was baptized in 1839.
20 July 1837 left Hatley and traveled to Twelve Mile Grove near Joliet, Illinois, staying for three . . . — Map (db m2253) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 125 — Old Comedy Hall|
|The Parowan Dramatic Association was organized in 1851 with Edward Dalton president, Jessie V. Smith, Joseph, Jane and Annie Fish, David and Wm. Cluff, Wm. C. McGregor and Ed Ward, members. Plays were produced in Log Council House and Rock Church until in 1870, when Comedy Hall was erected. In 1897 the Parowan Dramatic Association built a brick Opera House on the site of Comedy Hall. Plays were given in the old building while the new walls were built around it. Some of the outstanding plays of the day were presented. — Map (db m59615) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Parley P. Pratt|
|1807–1857. As a young man, Parley P. Pratt left his farming roots to become a traveling preacher, during which time he was converted and baptized into the Mormon Church. As a faithful saint, Pratt went on a number of Church missions, served as a member of the Quorum of Twelve Apostles, spent time in prison with Mormon Prophet Joseph Smith, edited the Latter-day Saints Millennial Star, helped form the constitution for the Provisional Government of the Territory of Deseret, and . . . — Map (db m1424) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Parowan Cotton Factory|
|On this site, in 1862 the first Cotton Factory was erected in the west. Designed and operated by William Marsden and owned by Ebenezer Hanks. Here the first ball of Cotton Yarn was made west of the Mississippi River.
Girls That Worked in the Cotton Factory
Caroline Newman (Mitchell) • Laura Marsden (Benson) •
Maria Coombs (Taylor) • Caroline Mortenson (Durham) •
Ellen Newman • Elizabeth Lewis (Fish) •
Mary Mortenson (Wardell) • Amanda Dalton (Mortenson) • Annie Lewis (Whitney) • . . . — Map (db m59601) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Paulina Eliza Phelps Lyman — "Aunt Pliny" — 1856 – 1912|
|Wife of apostle Amasa Mason Lyman "Aunt Pliny" was Parowan's first doctor and midwife. She was sent by Brigham Young to care for the Parowan pioneers. "Aunt Pliny" was a woman of great faith, one whose testimony and resolve blessed the lives of thousands. Under the direction of a living prophet, she dedicated her life in service to her fellow beings. This beautiful statue also honors all the other brave pioneer women who helped settle this area.
Commissioned by the Parowan Heritage . . . — Map (db m59579) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 122 — Pioneer Rock Church|
|This church built of sandstone brought from Parowan Canyon, started in 1863 and completed about 1876, was the religious center of Parowan Valley. The large amusement hall in the basement was used for school and dances. A stage was erected in the south end where Pioneer Dramatic Association presented plays. In 1918 church activities ceased. By 1826 it had deteriorated. The Daughters of Utah Pioneers asked permission to recondition the building for a Memorial Hall which was granted. — Map (db m59613) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 62 — Pioneer Sundial|
|Parowan was founded January 13, 1851 by settlers from northern communities under the leadership of George A. Smith. Among the early structures were a large liberty pole and a sundial.
This marker designates the site of the community sundial placed here in 1852. The base of this structure is a burr from the Pioneer Grist Mill.
This sundial is a reproduction of the original made by the pioneers of Parowan. The Liberty Pole was one block south. — Map (db m59612) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — 121 — Public Works|
|At Parowan, a pioneer industrial center was settled in 1851. Water for manufacturing and industry was carried by wooden flume from the canyon to the fort. Along this water line industries were established known as the Public Works. Among these were cabinet shop, tannery, gun and machine shop, blacksmith shop, wooden tub and bucket factory, pottery factory, saddle and harness shop and shoe shop. Located inside the fort was a grist burr mill. Monument erected on grist mill site. — Map (db m59574) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Southern Expedition, 1849-1850|
|In 1849, the Southern Expedition led by Parley P. Pratt, left Salt Lake City with instructions from Mormon President Brigham Young to search for colonization sites and iron ore deposits. Pratt, a Mormon explorer, led 50 men on an extensive exploration of southern Utah. The exploration concluded on this spot in 1850, with a feast and celebration. During the celebration, Pratt designated the Parowan Valley as the site from which future colonization of southern Utah would be made, and dedicated . . . — Map (db m1423) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — Southern Utah Expedition of 1849 — Parley P Pratt|
|Southern Utah Expedition of 1849
Realizing the limited resources for pioneer settlements in the Salt Lake Valley and surrounding settlements in 1849, and the potential of many more immigrants arriving in the next few years, Brigham Young began to search out possible new settlements. Based on reports of Jefferson Hunt, who had traveled through southern Utah in 1847 and 1848, one of the regions which seemed promising was the valleys along the Spanish Trail in southern Utah Territory. The . . . — Map (db m59582) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — The Spanish Trail|
|Between 1829 and 1848, traders from Santa Fe used the Spanish Trail which passed through Parowan to transfer dry goods and captured Indian slaves to Los Angles, where they were exchanged for horses.
The trail was pioneered between 1776 and 1831 by four groups: The Dominguez-Escalante expedition, Antonio Armijo, Jedidiah Smith and William Woflskill. The opening of other routes to California brought trade to an end by 1848. Many modern hiways still follow the trail.
The route from here, . . . — Map (db m59580) HM|
|Utah (Iron County), Parowan — William and Julia Lyman House — Utah Historic Site|
|Constructed c. 1895, the William and Julia Lyman House is a type known as a central passage, where a central hallway divides the two equally sized main-floor rooms. The Lyman House is one of only a few of this type remaining in Parowan. The central passage plan is important because of its link to eighteenth-century American building traditions in the northeastern and midwestern regions, as well as for its symbolism of individual prominence within this early Mormon community.
Both William and . . . — Map (db m59600) HM|